Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

i love to copy and paste code. repeating myself kicks rear end

I used to have a big text file of random code snippets I wrote that I might find useful later lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

I used to have a big text file of random code snippets I wrote that I might find useful later lol

most IDEs used to have "snippet organizers" exactly for that, havent seen any in a while

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

every project has utils.class that's just a bunch of stupid poo poo that got too anoyying to update via copy paste. then those methods get copied and slightly updated when you need a slightly modified one but still have 4 things that need the old way

i love object oriented programming

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

one of these days I wanna write my own module that's just utility and convenience poo poo I can stick on to every project like a leech but I never get around to doing it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

PokeJoe posted:

one of these days I wanna write my own module that's just utility and convenience poo poo I can stick on to every project like a leech but I never get around to doing it

please just copy and paste poo poo

- the guy having to maintain and fix this dependency long after you're gone

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PokeJoe posted:

put it in your internal artefact repo and then just add it to the solutions, ez

just don't go too far or you'll end up with some dumbass tower of idiot libraries aka the nodejs ecosystem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PokeJoe posted:

good idea

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

PokeJoe posted:

You don't write one of these overnight. You grow it over time, with love and devotion, like a the mother of fermented tea.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

You don't write one of these overnight. You grow it over time, with love and devotion, like a the mother of fermented tea.

For the programmer, a utility module is a precious thing indeed, to be nurtured, often for an entire lifetime. When the file is shared, it creates an eternal bond between the parties.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my homie dhall posted:

please just copy and paste poo poo

- the guy having to maintain and fix this dependency long after you're gone

it's not for work, it's for my personal projects. I'd never drag my bespoke bullshit into a project I share with other people

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

am i crazy or was there a thing in win98 where you'd hit ctrl - alt - delete three times and it'd finally pop up the end task box like you finally hit the summoning code

I remember in I think win98 you'd press ctrl alt delete twice and it would reboot your computer. I remember this because I still have ptsd from it and I carefully press it to this day to not accidentally press it twice.

Might have been a Windows 95 thing.

Edit: it was win 3.1, 95, and 98, so your thing definitely didn't exist.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 17, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the thing jonny remembers is actually the first thing ctrl+alt+delete does, bring up that little end task dialog

then a second just reboots.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

every project has utils.class that's just a bunch of stupid poo poo that got too anoyying to update via copy paste. then those methods get copied and slightly updated when you need a slightly modified one but still have 4 things that need the old way

i love object oriented programming

We've taken this a step further and made util.dll. util.class lives on and when someone gives a specific kind of gently caress, things that are deemed sufficiently useful get upgraded to live in util.dll. This causes even more fragmentation.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We've taken this a step further and made util.dll. util.class lives on and when someone gives a specific kind of gently caress, things that are deemed sufficiently useful get upgraded to live in util.dll. This causes even more fragmentation.

we have a util.dll that depends on common.dll and like two more layers of dlls and we have no idea where the source for them is because the original group Dev team got split into 4 different teams and nobody remembers who took ownership of what was then a clear case repo (lol)

I chip away at removing them now and again.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have a big.dll

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

most base level configs are fine and are the best option even for dorks. eg an MBA with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

using google as your main search engine is commuting violence against yourself and society. using android is even worse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

most base level configs are fine and are the best option even for dorks. eg an MBA with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd

really we need a thread for tech opinions too bland to be correct or incorrect, much less popular or unpopular

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there are some good things you can buy in stores. have you tried rice? many people enjoy it!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
ios peaked at 12.4(24)T

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there are some good things you can buy in stores. have you tried rice? many people enjoy it!

oh boy don't get me started

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gentle Autist posted:

using google as your main search engine is commuting violence against yourself and society. using android is even worse

i use duck duck go and ios

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hate ddg's name, won't use it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

1. same 2. not same

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

it’s fun though right? like duckduckgo! it’s fun to say right? say it jonny. say it. SAY IT LIKE ITS FUN

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ddg has terrible non-english results (specifically, where i've searched using copy pasted words or w friends assistance: spanish, japanese, korean, all relating to music or food)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i use duck duck go and ios

same op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really we need a thread for tech opinions too bland to be correct or incorrect, much less popular or unpopular

that’s what shsc is for

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Latex (or L ᴬT ₑ ᵡ or however the gently caress you write it) is bad. Or rather, it’s the best document formatting language…from the 70s* and should have long been replaced by some kind of handwriting recognition that automatically prettifies mathematical scribbles.

*Yes I know that technically it’s TeX that is from the 70s. I don’t care. I shouldn’t have to write my documents in a Turing complete language just to write X ².

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

Latex (or L ᴬT ₑ ᵡ or however the gently caress you write it) is bad. Or rather, it’s the best document formatting language…from the 70s* and should have long been replaced by some kind of handwriting recognition that automatically prettifies mathematical scribbles.

*Yes I know that technically it’s TeX that is from the 70s. I don’t care. I shouldn’t have to write my documents in a Turing complete language just to write X ².

well, this certainly fits the thread. the issue is that no one has put the imagined thing together (well, for math html/css/js actually has largely all the tools you realistically need, but latex covers the broader niche of programmatic typesetting, where there is nothing else viable)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
latex is bad, but there's nothing better

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

(La)TeX definitely sucks but while I can see the programmatic aspects of it being replaced (most academics use those very sparingly anyway) the math symbols never will, it's as much of a standard as math notation is. Also Detexify helps a lot with finding symbols, if someone finds a nice way to integrate something like that with an editor then we're not so far from your handwriting recognition dream

As for the programmatic part, I think if you built something that looks like TeX but with readable compiler error messages and a less excruciating experience for things like writing TikZ diagrams then I think people might be inclined to move

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there should be a simple latex wysiwyg editor, but there isn't because latex weenies think all the dumb edge cases need to be emulated 100% accurately

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wrote my dissertation, which included formulae and proofs, in ms word and it was fine

i wouldn't use it for something that was dozens of pages of proofs but 🤷‍♀️

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The best thing about latex is that it isn't WYSIWYG

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Latex is free software, but it's free as in baby

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

Latex is free software, but it's free as in baby

there is a lot of truth to this take.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
latex is very easy to useoverfull \hbox (3.14258pt too wide)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s free as in nothing left to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
software licenses are meaningful in the same way that nfts are valuable