Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the g in gif … is silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mayonnaise is acceptable thermal paste

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
excel provides more real world utility than python

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

taskbar belongs on the right

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
new things are better than the old things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cats are proof that people who make decisions against their best interests can be granted agency

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 5, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

moonshine is...... posted:

VSCode is a solid IDE.

this is the wrong thread for great and common opinions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

windows 2000 is old and clunky and i'm glad it's obsolete

it did things better on a single core 1200mhz athlon than windows 10 does with a 24 thread 3.7ghz processor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

no, it didn’t. you’re just forgetting all the times it was slow

lol don’t try to gaslight me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

he’s right tho

pressing ctrl alt del would work INSATNTLTY

taskmanager never needed a few moments to load. it’s like it was just always there, just waiting.

nowadays it feels like basic operating system processes like task manager have to load off a tape deck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
opinion : the photoshop interface and UI is garbage and is only tolerated due to decades of muscle memory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some of photoshop is the same UI that it was back when it was just photoshop 7 and you could download ready to run version that were 100mb or so and fit on a usb shaft

and it’s flagship software that still flies that old UI
parts

don’t companies like windows and photoshop make billions of dollars and have thousands of devs working on them? and half of the UI is decade old?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

the only good UI is the one you're used to.

what if its flat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

terrible garbage old UIs are what they are, and it's good to work to improve them, but if people use your software professionally, you must always ALWAYS include an option to seamlessly revert back to the terrible garbage version. ideally you let people configure the UI and choose what elements they want to be where.

there are few things that make me as upset as loading up some program i rely on and discovering that it updated overnight and moved some buttons around and reset all my customizations.

moving things I can handle but resetting customisations? unforgivable

and yeah I agree. introduce the new along with the old and make it clear that the old version is being left to rot

bonus points if the new UI only covers 40% of the main functionality of the old one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Disagree. I don't think Photoshop's UI is god's gift to compute or whatever, but I do think that they manage to blend 'functional focus for pros' with 'vaguely learnable for newbs' in a way that I'm unconvinced would be improved upon if someone where allowed to redesign it. I'm relatively certain that a redesign would be inspired by modern web poo poo. All it's buttons would be huge. It'd have have no menuing on the top and would have nothing but hamburger menus everywhere. Someone might do a really bad implementation of the Ribbon on a piece of software with about 600 functions and sub menus (don't do Ribbons here people).

its all the little poo poo things that do my head in, for example, and I cant remember the exact tool, but there's a threshold value, and you have to type in a number. you cant even drag a bar

the problem isn't the UI as in a different UI would fix it, just every tool needs to be bought into 2021 useability wise.

I wish I had it installed so I could go find a dozen of these tiny annoying problems

the UI is still a mish mash mess of a decade of tools. the older tools just get left as they are.

Affinity stuff is pretty good but they've made the same kinds of problems. its tiny annoying things like every time you export an image, it defaults to the download directory, and you cant make export presets

theres a million QOL changes they could make to these programs without really changing the overall vibe at all

the more you use any software, you come across something doing something well, and then when you use some other software that has a similar tool, but it works worse? it's disappointing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Google's Enterprise Office poo poo is atrocious compared to Microsoft Office (not the web one...).

Real MS Office is probably still some of the best software you can get for the PC. Excel is great. Word and Outlook have their weird things, but can be wrangled to do anything. We don't talk about Access. Google Sheets / Calendar / Documents / Gmail are a loving joke compared to the MS counterparts and it actually pisses me off that some big tech houses eschew MS's offering for Google's.

gmail destroys the competition because it's search is amazing, and it makes it feel OK that you can just find an email from a laywer 3 years ago in a few moments for example.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

- command line to access or search for every tool by name

yeah, I’ve always loved it when programs are essentially command driven and the icons are just shortcuts for commands. CAD style

blender is half like this. you can start a command like bevel and use keys and type in values, but if you commit but change your mind you have to ctrl z back to before the command rather than back into the command with the settings you had

blender isn’t perfect by any means but it is a UI that’s designed for expert users first, and all the best UIs are like this

good ctrl is amazing. back ctrl z is very bad. ctrl z SHOULD undo ANYTHING not just like image edits. undo moving the UI around etc

Jonny 290 posted:

I can't possibly envision any way to revamp the UI without gutting features or making it such a struggle to work fast that you just kill yourself instead

christian’s couldn’t imagine how the eye could evolve so they just said it was impossible and had to have come about from intelligent design

this is known as the FAYSIG (gently caress adobe your poo poo is garbage) principle

I manifest a better UI for the world even if I can’t imagine what it looks like

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

Lightroom cc is kinda lame since it’s just classic with less features and an inflexible cloud storage requirement

lightroom “classic” is essential software

and their new “profile” feature is extremely excellent because it can use 3D LUTs but it’s very difficult to find them on the internet, everything is a preset

for anyone that cares, a preset is just a preset of all the sliders in whatever place etc

a profile is a 3d LUT and what’s amazing about a 3d lut is what it lets happen. for example you have a raw file and as the light gets brighter what happens to it? just clip it? a 3d lut lets you define exactly what happens so you can take a raw file from a camera and transform so it’s acting as if you’re saturating film. as a paradigm it’s fundamentally superior to a preset and im really sad it’s very difficult to find them

it’s strictly not difficult to find 3d lut files but the procedure of making a profile is tedious and i wish there was an automated way :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you're bagging on adobe's UI and you pull out blender? god drat son S+++ tier troll

my just coz you can’t use something doesn’t mean it’s bad lol. i can’t use a complex radio but that doesn’t mean it’s got a bad interface

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

blender has like a famously bad interface dude dont defend it. this is not a personal attack

idk how to break it to ya but that sounds like a popular opinion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

it's still bad, but at least it's not completely unusable without knowing how to inject extra lines of python into it anymore

also yall who are like "omg can't believe i have to pay $75/month for photoshop" need to go grab the photography plan, it's lightroom and photoshop for :10bux: and is an absolute steal

you know what is also an absolute steal for adobe software?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

It's about sssssseeeeeeexxxxxx

you had me at the first x, where it was confirmed you were saying sex and not sesame oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's pronounced "do-u-sex machina?"

loving hellol

Gentle Autist posted:

computers are good, actually

hundreds of millions of acres of forest burned down to make room for abandoned mousepads just to keep us happy with computer