Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1451374093542957059?s=20

quote:

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he was receiving emergency care.

Got the cinematographer, almost got the director. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
What a bad idea

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Alec Balldo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat, that would gently caress me up forever.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I think I played a hitman about this once

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

To shoot one member of the production with your prop gun may be regarded as a misfortune; to shoot two looks like carelessness.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

really curious how this happened and who hosed up. i assume they're not using real guns, so it might be like how brandon lee died: something got lodged in the barrel and then he shot a blank, which pushed it with enough force to fatally wound him.

what a horrible tragedy. jeeze. somebody hosed up real bad, and i'm not even sure it was alec baldwin. prop master has some explaining to do

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 22, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
By the way, regarding the plot of the movie they were shooting:

quote:

Baldwin is a co-producer on the film and plays infamous outlaw Rust, whose 13-year-old grandson is convicted of an accidental murder.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FBS posted:

To shoot one member of the production with your prop gun may be regarded as a misfortune; to shoot two looks like carelessness.

My assumption is he shot once and they were standing close together.

People dying on set after getting shot with blanks seems like a thing that only happens in the distant past. But then again so does making westerns.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ashton kutcher leaping out with a camera crew, alec baldwin you just got punk'd

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Dual-wielding is a quadruple edged sword

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Icochet posted:

Dual-wielding is a quadruple edged sword

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Assuming it isn’t his fault(almost certainly someone in props’ fault) I feel bad for him. Something like that can really gently caress you up psychologically

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RatHat posted:

Assuming it isn’t his fault(almost certainly someone in props’ fault) I feel bad for him. Something like that can really gently caress you up psychologically

it does seem less than great

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1451380120040747049?s=20

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

what a horrible tragedy. jeeze. somebody hosed up real bad, and i'm not even sure it was alec baldwin. prop master has some explaining to do

Yeah, negligence on the part of the prop master seems the most likely. The only reason I would think otherwise is because Baldwin has a long history of being loving crazy both on and off set.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

alec baldwin now has a higher body count than notorious insane actor klaus kinski. kinski only blew some guy's fingers off and almost cracked the skull of another with a sword while filming aguirre

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, negligence on the part of the prop master seems the most likely. The only reason I would think otherwise is because Baldwin has a long history of being loving crazy both on and off set.

Yeah agreed. Almost makes it worse in some ways because likely Baldwin is innocent but he will.ne er shake this because of how loving crazy he has been

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
the boss baby has one confirmed kill.

amazing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Alec no they weren’t really taking your parking spot :(

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/anylaurie16/status/1451381949394604041?s=20

(There's a whole twitter thread from 2020 about the cinematographer, and how cool she was.)

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1451375064914358276?s=20

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

really curious how this happened and who hosed up. i assume they're not using real guns, so it might be like how brandon lee died: something got lodged in the barrel and then he shot a blank, which pushed it with enough force to fatally wound him.

You can gently caress somebody up with blanks just in general. Debris from the blank, squibs or obstructions of any kind in the barrel, or just plain being too close to somebody.

Edit: Also using old, hot loaded, or incorrect types of blanks. There are pretty hot loaded blanks meant to do things like lob rifle grenades long distances that you REALLY do not want to be out in front of.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 22, 2021

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
What a horrible situation! I would of thought they would had some union training updates for prop gun handling after Brandon Lee

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Warbadger posted:

You can gently caress somebody up with blanks just in general. Debris from the blank, squibs or obstructions of any kind in the barrel, or just plain being too close to somebody.

Yeah, it's worth noting that the guns that fire blanks are 100% real guns.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
if your prop gun is capable of killing someone, i think you've missed the point of a prop gun

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just say bang with your mouth you idiots

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Edgar posted:

What a horrible situation! I would of thought they would had some union training updates for prop gun handling after Brandon Lee

Any lesson learned from a tragedy expires after about 10 years.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

anyway, i hope they at least got the shot

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Wow, this prop gun looks pretty realistic..." pulls trigger... "Holy poo poo it actually fires..." pulls trigger again... "Wait what the gently caress? It's loaded with real bullets, god drat it Dave!"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1451383106385047553?s=20

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Warbadger posted:

Edit: Also using old, hot loaded, or incorrect types of blanks. There are pretty hot loaded blanks meant to do things like lob rifle grenades long distances that you REALLY do not want to be out in front of.
This 80s actor died because of blanks.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
this is a tragedy on multiple levels

all the vfx shops that insert muzzle flashes and blood splatters using computers must be licking their lips right now

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

anyway, i hope they at least got the shot

that's the problem op

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

i am not a physicist or a firearms expert but it seems like plugging up a real gun and then putting blanks in it is maybe not the best idea

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna make a film that features a railroad gun prop :twisted:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Heart breaking and horrific. My pary are with the father

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Novo posted:

i am not a physicist or a firearms expert but it seems like plugging up a real gun and then putting blanks in it is maybe not the best idea

Usually there are multiple safety precautions taken, like plexi screens in front of crew and having a set armourer actually making sure the gun is safe before firing. I bet this was a squib load (a bullet lodged in the barrel) like what happened to Brandon Lee, and the storyboard called for an unfortunate take of Baldwin's character shooting directly at the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's messed up