Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

I believe him that he didn't deliberately pull the trigger, and probably has no memory of the trigger being pulled. But 99% chance that it was.

And honestly as far as it goes, him just being an actor on set and being handed a gun that was meant to be safe, shouldn't of mattered if he pulled the trigger or not. There should never of been a situation created where that should of mattered, morally or legally.

Of course as a producer... totally different story, but I really don't think it matters or not if the trigger was pulled. Apparently there was a loving live round put into a gun -that wasn't even meant to be firing blanks at the time- and given to an actor on set, which they were lead to be had been deemed safe. Everything after that really shouldn't matter. The, seemingly many, crimes of negligence were all from before the actor had the gun in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Baldwin was one of the paypigs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Baldwin was one of the paypigs

He was on set and an executive, paypig or not. He knew the situation, had power to change it, and did not. Even if he's not found to be legally capable in anyway, yeah that was definitely morally not great.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

dr_rat posted:

He was on set and an executive, paypig or not. He knew the situation, had power to change it, and did not. Even if he's not found to be legally capable in anyway, yeah that was definitely morally not great.

Uh, that wasn't meant in defense of him

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Cold recluse on set!

Ow!!! What the gently caress?

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
just a fluke. probably won't happen again

*brings personal collection of dozens of brown recluse spiders to the set the following day to hang out with during lunch break*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Uh, that wasn't meant in defense of him

But pigs are always innocent! ...except for cops, and corporate pigs, and wow people just really needless poo poo on pigs as a species huh.

Like we literally enslave them to be eaten, and then are like yeah were gonna eat you, but also were going to call you a whole bunch of names, first. Like we couldn't at least go, hey thanks for the meat you're really great though, sorry about this and you tasting so nice!!!

Man people just suck. :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it easy to inadvertently pull a trigger on a gun? I have never fired an actual gun before, but I would think that there would be a little bit of resistance that would make it obvious to the person that they are pushing their finger on a trigger? Or am I wrong in that assumption (I probably am)?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it easy to inadvertently pull a trigger on a gun? I have never fired an actual gun before, but I would think that there would be a little bit of resistance that would make it obvious to the person that they are pushing their finger on a trigger? Or am I wrong in that assumption (I probably am)?

Yes. That's why you don't keep your finger there. People are clods with sausage fingers. How dumb you have to be to have it happen, depends on the make, model and actor.

There's an Archer meme that goes with this for literally no reason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unlucky7 posted:

It's been a while, but I'd say that if your focus is on the gun then it's not easy to do unless the gun's been poorly maintained ("hair trigger" is a thing, but it's a thing to be avoided unless you're an idiot). When your focus is elsewhere, though, really easy to do. There's all sorts of "don't know their own strength" stories where people will put dents in walls or the like because they're too distracted to hesitate, and while it takes some pressure it's the same kind of pressure you'd do grabbing at something, for example.

That's why a lot of gun safety training in that respect isn't "don't pull the trigger" it's "don't have your finger anywhere near the trigger until it's absolutely time to shoot."

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Seems something went wrong when he was cocking the gun or possibly while trying to de-cock it.

Alec Baldwin posted:

I take the gun and I start to cock the gun, I’m not going to pull the trigger,” Baldwin continued. “I let go of the hammer of the gun and the gun goes off.

He might have pulled the hammer back far enough for it to gain enough force to fire the bullet, but not far enough to cock the revolver properly, I guess?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aardvark! posted:

Maybe a bug went through the trigger guard as he was lifting the gun, depressing the trigger? A really heavy bug.

It was a spider op keep up

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

What about if the AD was just pointing out that the gun was cold, as in its surface temperature, because he knew Alec "Mad Dog" Baldwin would lose his loving mind and kill everyone (gun or not) if handed a chilly iron?

Perhaps "cold gun" was a warning to everyone else on set to get the gently caress out of there?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Apparently there was a loving live round put into a gun -that wasn't even meant to be firing blanks at the time- and given to an actor on set, which they were lead to be had been deemed safe. Everything after that really shouldn't matter. The, seemingly many, crimes of negligence were all from before the actor had the gun in his hands.

Most of the negligence took place before the actor was handed the gun, but not all of it. An actor accepting a gun and proceeding to point it at people after skipping the safety precautions they'd normally have witnessed was also negligent. Especially given multiple negligent discharges had already taken place, including during a previous shoot of the same scene, the union walkout mentioning the lack of gun safety, and Alec being an executive in zero danger of repercussions for pushing back.

Unlucky7 posted:

Depends on the gun and what you're doing with it. In this case he was supposedly quickdrawing the gun, which is a pretty infamously great way to accidentally pull the trigger.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

it was the same brown recluse that bit that guy on set. We have to kill the drat thing before it strikes again

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
If only someone filmed what happened

Then we'd get our answers

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Was there any kind of recording going on when it happened?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm sad because this latest spin means the general public is even dumber than i want to believe. In a sane world his defense should be "of course i pulled the trigger, that was literally my job and what everyone expected me to do, and i only did so because we had multiple experts whose entire job was to make sure it would be safe to do so, and literally moments earlier we were reassured by the entire team that it was a perfectly safe course of action"

Acting like it matters at all if the trigger was pulled only serves to absolve the truly guilty people

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sentient Data posted:

I'm sad because this latest spin means the general public is even dumber than i want to believe. In a sane world his defense should be "of course i pulled the trigger, that was literally my job and what everyone expected me to do, and i only did so because we had multiple experts whose entire job was to make sure it would be safe to do so, and literally moments earlier we were reassured by the entire team that it was a perfectly safe course of action"

Acting like it matters at all if the trigger was pulled only serves to absolve the truly guilty people

There are millions of americans who want Baldwin to be found guilty of something because he made fun of trump. An extra bit of poo poo in the court of public opinion.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

alec baldwin killed chris benoit

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Alec Baldwin is going to kill me very soon and no one believes me

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
technically the cameraman..... shot first

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah, I'm torn between this being a traumatized man in denial or a cold calculated move to shift things to Alec Baldwin the shooter and not Alec Baldwin the executive that ignored numerous warnings the set wasn't safe.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

alec baldwin killed chris benoit

So he's a hero

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Durzel posted:

What about if the AD was just pointing out that the gun was cold, as in its surface temperature, because he knew Alec "Mad Dog" Baldwin would lose his loving mind and kill everyone (gun or not) if handed a chilly iron?

Perhaps "cold gun" was a warning to everyone else on set to get the gently caress out of there?

guns only feel cold because the metal they are made out of has high thermal conductivity and thus cools your skin faster than other materials or the air. the gun was likely the same temperature as its surroundings and not, in fact, cold at all!!!! :pseudo:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Alec Baldwin is going to kill me very soon and no one believes me

alec baldwin comes for us all, eventually

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Fallows posted:

Ok George Lucas

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Freudian slippers posted:

Seems something went wrong when he was cocking the gun or possibly while trying to de-cock it.

He might have pulled the hammer back far enough for it to gain enough force to fire the bullet, but not far enough to cock the revolver properly, I guess?

Sounds like you fired the gun, Alec!

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I'm not so sure I buy the "I didn't pull the trigger. I just let go of the hammer." logic.

The Colt Single Action Army pistol has 3 distinct cocked positions. Safety, half cock, and full cock.
The safety position is achieved by cocking the hammer about 1/4 of the way back. It's designed so that there is separation between the tip of the hammer and the firing pin, so that you can't hit the back of the hammer, pushing it into the pin, and cause the gun to fire.
The second position is half cocked. Half cock allows the cylinder to spin freely, letting the user load and unload.
Full cock is all the way back where the hammer locks in place, ready to fire.

The hammer cannot be pulled back and released in such a way that it passes any of those positions without the trigger being pulled.

Furthermore, the cylinder rotates when the hammer is pulled back, and doesn't fully align into the firing position until the hammer locks all the way back, at which point the only way to release it is to pull the trigger.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that this particular gun was broken or defective, but it is highly unlikely.

TL;DR: Baldwin almost certainly pulled the trigger, and either doesn't remember doing it, or is lying.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Firing a gun requires a user input whether that is pulling the trigger or jostling it or whatever. So yes, he fired the gun even if he didn’t pull the trigger.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Sounds like you fired the gun, Alec!

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I'm torn between this being a traumatized man in denial or a cold calculated move to shift things to Alec Baldwin the shooter and not Alec Baldwin the executive that ignored numerous warnings the set wasn't safe.

It's all of these. Unless he's a psychopath.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Fallows posted:

this is beautiful, thank you

anyhoo, thank god there was only one real bullet snuck into the gun or else the homicidal Baldwin would have massacred the whole crew.

Edit: I'm not a gun dude, but I've fired a revolver a bunch of times and there are two modes of firing (dual-action).

1) You simply pull the trigger. This takes some pressure as the action of the trigger pulls the hammer back, into firing position, then releases it.

2) You can physically cock the hammer back into position with your thumb first. The trigger becomes very sensitive at this point, because it just takes enough pressure to release the hammer here -- you're not "pulling" the trigger to cock the hammer -- hence the term "hair trigger" cuz it doesn't take much.

someone else can maybe explain this better, with the correct terms, but I can totally see some people doing #2 and accidentally firing

no clue what Murderbot Baldwin was up to, tho

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 3, 2021

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Splorange posted:

he's a psychopath.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
I had some sympathy for him about this incident but that softball interview he just did with Stephanopolous was a really bad look.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Has anyone said yet that guns don’t kill people Alec baldwins do?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

It's a classic way to absolve everyone of responsibility/guilt by blaming an inanimate object. Nobody can be sued, it was all the gun's fault, we did everything right and the darned gun just went off and shot somebody all on its own!

It probably means either Baldwin's lawyers think he personally looks liable, or that they're circling the wagons to protect the armorer, AD, and/or production.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Freedom Trails posted:

Edit: I'm not a gun dude, but

Lol no poo poo.

quote:

I've fired a revolver a bunch of times and there are two modes of firing (dual-action).

1) You simply pull the trigger. This takes some pressure as the action of the trigger pulls the hammer back, into firing position, then releases it.

2) You can physically cock the hammer back into position with your thumb first. The trigger becomes very sensitive at this point, because it just takes enough pressure to release the hammer here -- you're not "pulling" the trigger to cock the hammer -- hence the term "hair trigger" cuz it doesn't take much.

What you're thinking of is called double action. Baldwin's gun wasn't a double action revolver, it was an old west single action revolver, so only "2)" is possible.

Edit: Also, it isn't called double action because "there are two modes of firing". A double action trigger performs two actions: it cocks the hammer and then releases it. A single action trigger only releases the hammer that you've manually cocked.

Gargamel Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 4, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm just a d umb country boy, but it sounds like Alec Baldwin is an actor and not someone who knows even the first things about gun safety. That's why there are prop masters and armorers and safety people to make sure dumbass actors can't accidentally shoot someone. It's multiple people's entire jobs to make sure that nobody gets shot for real in a cowboy movie by doing simple things like "not having real bullets on set" and "checking that guns aren't loaded because an actor is gonna gently caress that up."

It's 100% someone's fault, not an inanimate object, but it seems like that person is the one actually in charge of making sure the guns are safe behind the scenes, not the one who's supposed to do dramatic things on camera, after being told it's safe to do those dramatic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm just a d umb country boy, but it sounds like Alec Baldwin is an actor and not someone who knows even the first things about gun safety. That's why there are prop masters and armorers and safety people to make sure dumbass actors can't accidentally shoot someone. It's multiple people's entire jobs to make sure that nobody gets shot for real in a cowboy movie by doing simple things like "not having real bullets on set" and "checking that guns aren't loaded because an actor is gonna gently caress that up."

It's 100% someone's fault, not an inanimate object, but it seems like that person is the one actually in charge of making sure the guns are safe behind the scenes, not the one who's supposed to do dramatic things on camera, after being told it's safe to do those dramatic things.

The guns are made safe in front of the actors in normal conditions, not just "behind the scenes". The actors are not responsible for making the gun safe but they are responsible for seeing that the gun has been made safe by the expert before they play with it. If the safety checks get skipped and the actor just goes with it because, hey, it's easier/saves time/not my problem then they've been negligent. If the actor is also a producer who is at least partially responsible for the management of the film and they've already had multiple negligent gunshots on set...

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2021