Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1451374093542957059?s=20

quote:

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico on Thursday, accidentally killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he was receiving emergency care.

Got the cinematographer, almost got the director. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
By the way, regarding the plot of the movie they were shooting:

quote:

Baldwin is a co-producer on the film and plays infamous outlaw Rust, whose 13-year-old grandson is convicted of an accidental murder.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Icochet posted:

Dual-wielding is a quadruple edged sword

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RatHat posted:

Assuming it isn’t his fault(almost certainly someone in props’ fault) I feel bad for him. Something like that can really gently caress you up psychologically

it does seem less than great

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1451380120040747049?s=20

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wizard Master posted:

This isn’t 2004-edgelord GBS guys, this is a terrible situation for everyone involved and you don’t have to feel like you need to make a joke about every situation.

somebody give me an edgy joke to change the thread title to

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol thank you aardvark

It's what the victims would have wanted.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Andy Ngo if you are reading this the quote in the title is 100% true and you need to report on this ASAP... we got inside sources...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Wizard Master posted:

I’m just going to leave this here and then I’m done with this thread. Hope you manage to get some good jokes in though

https://twitter.com/adamegypt/status/1451372384208887813?s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQC8zZNzJE

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Too bad Connery wasn't there to tell him most things in here don't react too well to bullets.

lol alec baldwin was such a wiener in that movie. undoubtedly that role helped scar him in to the twisted husk that took one life and nearly took another today

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
is it possible one of the lesser Baldwins shot them and he's just being a good Baldwin?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
firearm number 3) if it looks cool, that's the most important thing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Schweinhund posted:

This part seems incriminating to me

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Scherloch posted:

It's an assumption presented as a fact (twice.)

as far as I can tell this entire argument on both sides is assumption presented without fact.

like people keep posting "why did Alec point a gun at someone and shoot" when we have seemingly zero information about what they were filming, what he was supposed to do in the shot, etc

I'll gladly blame Alec Baldwin when we have more than a piss trickle of leaked info about what happened

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

quote:

"It was a really badass way to start off a really long and cool career," she said on the podcast.

literally loled irl

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

I wish there was a 16 page thread detailing all the expertise that goes into the lack of that safety system and the thought process behind it because of this tragic accident but there isn't one anywhere to read so instead it's because of liberals being stupid about guns, boy you nailed it!

Actually I think you'll find it all boils down to Alec Baldwin getting tired of reshoots and just blowing away the DP and director

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I just remembered John Hinckley Jr. was released from hospitjail recently. Is it possible he was involved in this? I never trusted that guy after he tried to kill Reagan.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
next person to skip twenty pages to point out "Alec Baldwin should have followed Gun Safety and not pointed it at someone" is getting a thousand years of swirlies

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
did we ever get a real confirmation about the walkout being safety related? The TikTok from that prop guy that went in to it mentioned there had been a walkout because of long hours

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Long hours are a safety issue

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ty that's what I wanted to see, had only seen tweets just saying poo poo. :thunk:

seems like a very well run production

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

brugroffil posted:

There's a reason why in some industries there are strict limits on the number of hours you can work in a day, week, or month.

sorry I didn't mean to imply fatigue's not a real safety issue or anything, I was just asking specifically about the walkout being about guns in particular because it kept being referred to that way.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

wow what an excellent point you've made that's settled both sides and will satisfy audiences you've done it, you've done it. Thank GOD almighty, you've done it.

settle down, beavis

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i (Alec Baldwin) am going to make BBC the dp on the set of my (Alec Baldwin) new western movie, "Alec Baldwin's Rust by Alec Baldwin" where I will be the armorer, producer, AD, and lead actor

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

punishedkissinger posted:

personally I would clear any firearm that is in my hands at all, but i don't think it's reasonable to expect the same from actors who are at best given rudimentary training. especially since the person who handed them the gun loudly proclaimed that it was clear.

also, it sounds like it was a gate-loading revolver which is trickier to properly clear since you have to check each cylinder in sequence.

edit: ^^^ agreed

i dont think they want some actor "clearing the gun". somebody mentioned another armorer ITT that literally never let the guns out of his sight in case the actor does something stupid that fucks with them. it's better that he literally does nothing with the gun except hold it and pull the trigger after the actual experts set stuff up. even if it's supposed to be completely empty as opposed to loaded w/ a blank

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the whole production sounds like complete amateur hour lmfao

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i wonder if this is going to be bad enough to destroy the armorer's father's career too

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mozi posted:

code:
*>===---/
    c| |
     | |
      \|

wow. are you trying to get jeffrey in trouble, please delete

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
From the article last page or maybe two ago, I hadn't heard about the gun being full of dummy rounds before

quote:

The film crew was shooting a scene inside a church building on the ranch. According to earlier affidavits, Baldwin was practicing cross-drawing the firearm while seated in a church pew, and was demonstrating how he would point it toward the camera, when it went off. Souza told investigators that he heard a loud pop, and that Hutchins then grabbed her midsection and stumbled backwards, before being helped to the ground. Souza also noted that he was bleeding from the shoulder.

The affidavit filed on Wednesday states that in the aftermath, Halls retrieved the gun from the pew.

“After the gun was fired, David Halls picked up the firearm from a pew inside the church, and took it to the Armorer,” the document states. “Hannah then was told to ‘open’ the gun so he could see what was inside. David advised he could only remember seeing at least four ‘dummy’ casings with the hole on the side, and one without the hole. He advised this round did not have the ‘cap’ on it and was just the casing. David advised the incident was not a deliberate act.”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thread reopened because the armorer's lawyer is saying somebody may have planted the live round

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It was the safest gun death in years.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bad Purchase posted:

this is a good tweet and i won't hear a word against it

pretty telling that that's the one that gets posted here, considering the tweet right before it. :rolleyes:

quote:

I hope one day I get to live out my dream of helping a movie star gun down some crew members! @AlecBaldwin #liverounds #murderone #findomme

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they should have cops fly the helicopters in movies too

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alright, ready, 3..2..1.. shoot. *dozens of cops around set pull out guns and start blasting*

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im calling for an end to using helicopters to convey retired nba all stars

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teardrop posted:

Except when a good armorer/AD calls cold gun they take 10 seconds to hold up the empty gun with a clearing rod through the barrel and chamber, then check and load each fake bullet with the actors watching them, so nobody is worried.

Also lol that Alec’s response to someone getting killed because a live bullet made its way on set, was to say cops should bring guns and live bullets onto every set, presumably to make him look less bad by comparison

i think its very brave of alec baldwin to try and normalize people getting shot to death on set

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
why dont they make helicopters with 4 rotors like drones wouldnt that be 4x safer

or would it be 4x as dangerous :thunk:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Maybe a bug went through the trigger guard as he was lifting the gun, depressing the trigger? A really heavy bug.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I mean surely that's just good sense if you're being sued over a wrongful death to never ever say you feel guilty lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Ms Reed cried out, there is Goodman Baldwin going to Mrs. Hutchins , and immediately, said Hutchins fell into a fit. — You see the devil will deceive you; the children could see what you was going to do before the woman was hurt. I would advise you to repentance, for the devil is bringing you out. Ms Reed cried out again, there is Goodman Baldwin going to hurt Joel Souza; and immediately Joel Souza fell into a fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
he should be charged as the executive producer but i think a producer on set literally called out the gun as being "cleared" without checking anything before handing it to him and it feels like that producer should mega go to jail