Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

A package full of goodies arrived today! Japanese literature is something that I've been wanting to sink my teeth into lately and these books look absolutely wonderful, especially Biogenesis. The zine is fantastic as well, definitely have to share it with my art buddies. Thank you, Santa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Chip McFuck posted:

A package full of goodies arrived today! Japanese literature is something that I've been wanting to sink my teeth into lately and these books look absolutely wonderful, especially Biogenesis. The zine is fantastic as well, definitely have to share it with my art buddies. Thank you, Santa!

Glad you like it!

Just got mine in as well, and all I can say is, I asked...

Jeremiah Flintwick posted:

Send me something snooty and pretentious that I'll look super cultured and interesting reading in public. :agesilaus:

...And Sham Bam Bamina! delivered.

:discourse:
And more!

(note that SBB did not send me a damaged book, I did that myself when opening it lol)

The only thing here I was previously familiar with was Hijokaidan, so this promises to be quite the journey. Cheers!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:holy:

I was worried when I didn't see a post after the tracking number said the package was delivered, as I've had some exhausting experiences with packages getting intercepted and even sent back by obliviously Grinchy roommates or family members. Great to see that you got it without a hitch. Happy reading and listening!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I haven't received anything but will be keeping an eye out, just so my santa sees this and doesn't worry

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What just arrived wrapped in the front page of the January 3 and 4, 1990 Winnipeg Free Press?

Many thanks Health Services! Strange Hotel was one I was very interested in, and for some reason I have never read Steppenwolf--you did a deep dive into past posts and I really appreciate the results. Also many thanks for the kind note. Makes me realize how much I miss my weekly typewritten letters from my grandfather.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have received gift of Many Book

Thank you, kind Goon Santa. Ganta

iNerdGirl
Feb 16, 2019

Just a regular girl, living in a coding world
Thank you Goon Santa, love your choice in books for me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I'm so eager for the last mysterious benefactor package to arrive, I wanna know what that qr code is so bad haha

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It did arrive; it just hasn't been opened yet. Perhaps the holder is waiting until Christmas proper.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It did arrive; it just hasn't been opened yet. Perhaps the holder is waiting until Christmas proper.

Good point. Excuse my impatience!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I can share my mysterious package in the meantime.

The Oxford Book of Death, chosen and edited by D. J. Enright.

It’s exactly what it sounds like, a collection of passages from prose and poetry of many different aspects of death. This is absolutely something I love and a fascinating subject, and I’ve never heard of it. I’m excited to explore it deeper.

There was also a card, thematically appropriate:

And inside was a note:

Which I believe refers to this section:

All in all an excellent book with fun presentation. Thank you Santa!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I realized I never shared a picture of my section of the code:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So far we have the letters R., E. I., and N. from the Secret Secret Santa, and two pieces of a QR code.

Chip McFuck hasn't posted their note yet, and as mentioned, I think the fifth person is waiting to open theirs.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 21, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You were the fifth person. Doc Fission, Chip McFuck, derp, and No. 1 Juicy Boi have all posted their mystery gifts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You were the fifth person. Doc Fission, Chip McFuck, derp, and No. 1 Juicy Boi have all posted their mystery gifts.

Oh! Well my bad. I do not have a QR code in mine, though. I was saying Chip McFuck has not, as far as I noticed, posted their note.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 21, 2021

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Sorry, my mistake! For some reason I thought I included the note in my gift post. Here's the note I received:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've tried to cobble together the QR codes to get a scan and I'm only getting gibberish so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

I've tried to cobble together the QR codes to get a scan and I'm only getting gibberish so far.

Same, I got this:

POEUAWBWCDNCVZLLFHNWGJBHRUHFOAFAEYIOZHFWDWHVMHREGHOJTZXOVGRGSSKHVLZOJPIFDDRWNZRAVEHHJCSVGAVFOQRPHWPLRARGFHOZZLMZXBBRCIIKBCQMMWFFUCHVFBWUVCVZTZNMNE

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Same, I got this:

POEUAWBWCDNCVZLLFHNWGJBHRUHFOAFAEYIOZHFWDWHVMHREGHOJTZXOVGRGSSKHVLZOJPIFDDRWNZRAVEHHJCSVGAVFOQRPHWPLRARGFHOZZLMZXBBRCIIKBCQMMWFFUCHVFBWUVCVZTZNMNE

We have letters R., E. I., N., G. V. from the notes as well.

Doc Fission didn't post their note either, and I'm curious what initials/letters were on their card.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

We have letters R., E. I., N., G. V. from the notes as well.

Doc Fission didn't post their note either, and I'm curious what initials/letters were on their card.

That's what I was just thinking. I don't get anything from the letters we have yet.

Also the highlighted clue on your note!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Me, a dumbass, not posting my piece of Exodia when I was still home :downs:

Whomst among us will crack the code!!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Anyone having any luck with the puzzle?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Edit wait I think I'm onto something !!!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 25, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
So the signature letters we got spell out vigenère, a type of cypher. After doing some cryptanalysis I found the cypher key to be THESONGOFQUESADAANDMOLINO. Using that I was able to get this out of the code we got in the note. Some letters didn't decrypt perfectly so I guessed on a few:

WALLACE STATES THAT BORGES COLLAPSES READER AND WRITER INTO A NEW KIND OF AESTHETIC AGENT FOR WHOM READING IS A CREATIVE ACT. THIS HAS BEEN MY OWN PRIMATIVE EFFORT IN THAT VEIL, MINUS THE WRITING PART.

WHETHER YOU ENJOYED MY EFFORT OR THE BOOKS OR NOT I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON. YOURS, SANTA

I still can't get anything out of the QR code but maybe I just need to stitch it together better. I will say, to our mysterious benefactor, I've been enjoying the hell out of this :)

EDIT-- The key to the other code was THEBOOKWASJUDGEDNOGOOD 😄

WHAT MIRACLE IS THIS GIANT TREE FIVE FIVE SIX IT STANDS TEN THOUSAND FEET HIGH FOUR THREE FOUR BUT DOESNT REACH THE GROUND. STILL IT STANDS MISSING ITS ROOTS MUST HOLD THE SKY.

Which I believe is from house of leaves, which I'm assuming points us to the song of quesada and molino being the key for the other part. Unless 556 434 is something else! This is so fun.

Edit2 yep! Page 556:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 25, 2021

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I received what I'm guessing is my secret Santa package but I've been sick for the past couple of days and I haven't been able to do anything with it, my apologies.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wonderful! And just in time for Christmas Eve!

Edit: It should be "primitive effort in that vein" in the final message. I decrypted it myself without getting any bad characters, so there might have been a typo or two when you transcribed the note.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 25, 2021

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
drat what an awesome set of clues. Will we ever know who mystery Santa was??

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Amazing work No. 1 Juicy Boi! And thank you to the awesome Santa who designed the puzzle(s).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Are we certain that the QR codes aren’t some kind of Lament Configuration?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Retro Futurist posted:

Are we certain that the QR codes aren’t some kind of Lament Configuration?

As the one who solved the puzzle I'll let you know if any cenobites show up

(Please please please please)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

derp posted:

drat what an awesome set of clues. Will we ever know who mystery Santa was??
No.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thank you Santa!

Really looking forward to reading these!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thank you Santa!

Really looking forward to reading these!

You’re welcome! Merry Christmas!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

What a great secret santa this year. Thank you Sham, thank you mystery puzzlemaker, and thanks to everyone else who made it wonderful. Happy holidays everyone.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
One last package is still on its way!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I have received Additional Book

Thanks again Goonta

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

You are welcome, Flesnolk!

I also find it strange that both the packages showed up before the letter. XD

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

One last package is still on its way!

Better late than never, my gift has arrived! Made up for the delay in both quality and quantity here, too. (also I am Retro Futurist I just changed my name back, just to avoid confusion)

Some dope leftist pins

A very 2020ish object

And then of course books

All of these look incredibly up my alley. I don't have a cat but my kid likes both cats and manual style books so even that one will be well read, and the others all looks terrific. Thanks so much iNerdGirl (more like uRadGirl amirite)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

My loot from Gertrude Perkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

I brought my Drake posted:

My loot from Gertrude Perkins

Hooray! The breakdown of loot:
I've Got A Time Bomb, by Sybil Lamb (rad frenetic trans road novel)
Epiphany, by Iris Jay (neat furry coming-of-age comic about religion)
The Laying of the Noone Walker, by Rosalind Ashe (my late grandmother!)
Two art prints by MEJ of the Wiggle Bird Mailing Club
A coaster from a very good Manchester burger place
And two stickers, one from Botnik and one from the band Fog Holler!

I very much hope you enjoy them! Happy bookmas!

And to close things out, I got one final book from Hieronymous Alloy...

...which contained a bunch of cool newspaper clippings about the Addams Family! How rad! Thank you and thank you SBB for getting this all together!

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 11, 2022