Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Official D&D Moderation Feedback Thread!

Welcome one and all to the much desired feedback thread. The goal of course is to better serve the community et large in D&D and SA as a whole, and to do so we want you to help us understand what you want D&D to be.

Before we get started, ground rules:
1. This is not a Debate thread. ONE POST PER USER We have good feedback from the first 6 pages. Opening up for discussion. See rules updates quoted below.
2. Please try to include feedback about
- Current Rules in D&D, What is bad, what is good?
- Moderation Methods
- How can we improve moderation
- What are key issues that bother you or wish to see more discussion around
- If you have examples of what you think is troublesome moderation, cite them and provide feedback

If you are forumbanned, it still applies here....until the final day (Next Friday). Next Friday (10/29) is Forumbanned Poster Comment day but they must abide by the above rules.

This thread will be reviewed by an admin and discussed, and if possible improvements can be made, we will do so.
What this thread is NOT for:
"I hate so and so mod/IK, they suck" - This isn't helpful, tell us why they suck.
"CSPAM or D&D or SA Sucks" That's nice, but has nothing to do with our moderation?
"I hate so and so poster, they also suck" So what?

If you post any of the above, you will likely get probed. Just sayin.

Please try to be reasonable with your posts and to the point, if you can say it in a couple sentences great, but a novel might be hard to us to parse as feedback, given most of us have jobs, family, and probes to issue.

And obviously, we probably won't be able to address each and every post and its claims, but we'll do as best as we can after reviewing with an admin

This thread will remain active and pinned for a week, and then allowed to fall off unless there's still valuable feedback coming back. We will keep the thread open overnight as long as it doesn't get bad.

CommieGIR posted:

At the end of this whole thing, lemme be clear: The community owns D&D. Not the mods.

If the community says something needs to change, so be it. We will go over any recommendations with admins and enact whatever the community says will make D&D better.

So please be honest. And I personally do not care what happens to me being a mod or not. I'd like to think I try my best, but I'm human as any other mod is here.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Cat pictures are encouraged but not required!

RULES UPDATE:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Rules change based on proposal from That Other Thread:

- One post per combat round is lifted.
- Do not attack other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not quote other posters. Direct your poo poo to the mods.
- Do not get cute about the previous two.
- As always, do not be an rear end in a top hat.
- Forumbans still apply.
- Updating the OP is too much of a pain in the rear end on the phone, so I'll do it later.
- If this results in a total shitshow, we may alter the rules; "one post per 24 hours" seems plausible but we'll see.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:siren: Quick rules amendment: "do not quote other posters" is lifted, "do not respond at other posters" replaces it.

It occurs to me that sometimes "i have an idea but other poster said it better" is a perfectly legitimate contribution. no, this is not an invitation to repost the "i am using my one post to post lol" thing

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tezer posted:

Feedback - not letting forumbanned individuals give feedback is like taking voting rights away from felons.

I am opposed to it.

Ok, this one I'll act on now: We will open the final day to forumbanned people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The excessive moderation has shrunk this forum down to just one or two mega threads. If you want stricter rules, you deserve them.

So provide some actual critique so we can fix that, otherwise what's the point of this post?

THREAD'S CLOSED FOR THE EVENING, WILL RESUME IN THE AM.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 23, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
At the end of this whole thing, lemme be clear: The community owns D&D. Not the mods.

If the community says something needs to change, so be it. We will go over any recommendations with admins and enact whatever the community says will make D&D better.

So please be honest. And I personally do not care what happens to me being a mod or not. I'd like to think I try my best, but I'm human as any other mod is here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Right now the rules of this thread say that it will be closed around 9:30PM EST and opened again at 8AM EST. However, the vast majority of people reading and posting in this forum live in places that are currently observing Daylight Savings Time and will be until October 31(Europe) or November 7(North America). I think it would make a lot more sense and reduce a lot of confusion if the times this thread was locked/unlocked were shifted to 9:30PM EDT and 8AM EDT.

Fair enough, we will keep it open overnight as long as it doesn't get too bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fancy Pelosi posted:

As some have suspected, this is a re-reg troll account. This month, I've been posting in bad faith, I've posted lies, I've misrepresented sources (that were directly linked in my posts), I've sniped at other posters directly, I've said vile poo poo. Never caught a probe until I stepped out of D&D and posted the same way. It turns out that all of this stuff is 100% allowed in D&D as long as you post it all with a positive spin for the Democrats. Yesterday, multiple people got probated for pointing out that I was trolling. The problem with D&D moderation is that the mods are gigantic morons (they might be the stupidest posters on this forum) who are super easy to manipulate into punishing posting enemies, which is what the regulars do here to win arguments. This little experiment has made me wonder who else is doing long-form trolling in this subforum, because it's so easy. I suspect how are u.

Here's my advice for anyone who wants to post negative stories about Democrats in this subforum: Post it accompanied with a Trump-like insinuation that it's fake news or clickbait, works every time.

Congrats? You posted mediocre middle of the road stuff that wasn't offensive and when people refused to actually do the namesake of the forum like Debate and Discuss, they got punished. I wasn't aware trolling in the form of devil's advocate was punishable, but I guess that should be a rule? The rule for trolls is to disengage and report, which very few people did. The reports we did get about you being a troll, most of your posts look like normal discussion. If your goal was to say we need to punish that, even with a rule change we'd likely not do that.

In fact, your experiment was so successful that we actually assumed you were a re-reg troll from the start. We asked for an alt-check on October the 2nd and while it did align your account with a fairly innocent poster, there's no rules against having an alt if you are not evading a permaban. So, I guess good job on trolling within the rules. Hey if you want to keep doing that, go for it. I'm sure Jeff appreciates the extra tenbux.

Yeah, basically this. Which of these posts is truly offensive?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 24, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

The fact this was probated for "doubl[ing] down on your sick beliefs" is absolutely the reason you shouldn't be a mod CommieGIR. Tons of people, even in the QCS thread, have given perfectly reasonable positions that you for some reason don't want to accept as within your overton window. Rather than engaging with posters that don't follow your mainstream (even if their posts seem targeted at annoying you!) you immediately rush to the mod buttons. This is exactly the behavior that makes me avoid D&D most of the time now, since who the gently caress knows what opinion you'll decide is sick and ding people for.

Ah yes, the "Mass Incarceration and forced integration is not Genocide" excuse. If you really want to defend that, go for it, but honestly I don't see a D&D or even a Political Forum where defending that is going to be acceptable or encouraged.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

Honestly I'm not going to go in to it here because you'll end up finding some reason to probate me, but the fact that the AP and whitehouse have both stopped calling it a genocide probably means the issue isn't as cut and dry as you want it to be.

Have you considered part of the reason for this is that a lot of people want to post in the serious political forum, but either can't or don't feel comfortable doing so?

The Whitehouse is also not calling the mass incarceration at the border genocide, but effectively that is what is happening. Are you guys really going to define everything by whether or not the White House calls it that, or based on what it actually appears to be?

And as for the AP:
https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-international-news-weekend-reads-china-health-269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
:thunk: Hmmmmm, sure let's not use the word genocide, but this is literally a crime against humanity that aligns WITH genocide.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Nobody is saying that mass detentions aren't happening. They're saying the coverage is slanted to exacerbate the domestic issues of their new cold war opponents. There's a very long history of deceptive western media coverage of communist-party controlled countries like Cuba and Vietnam and the USSR.

"The Mass Detentions are happening, but its a media slant"

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/rest-of-world/2019/04/05/are-historic-mosques-in-xinjiang-being-destroyed/
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/24/1047054983/china-muslims-sinicization

So, here's the thing: Either you are arguing that open source intelligence is wrong, and we are not witnessing a cultural genocide through mass incarceration, re-education under a prison environment while the PRC wipes out religious sites.
So, in other words: You are moving the goal posts. If the US was doing this, would you be outraged? I'd be willing to bet yes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My only advice is to clean house with the current mod crew and to also end the nonsense of shutting down any discussion of US News in the US News thread by telling people to take it to a containment thread whenever it's a topic that makes the mods uncomfortable.

This is a loving hot take: USNews is a single threaded discussion that generally strays off topic. Some topics are strong enough to be moved to their own threads, and many of those threads are very successful. The idea that it makes "Mods uncomfortable" a loving stupid take.

By this logic, every subforum should be one single discussion with hundreds of sub-discussions, which doesn't work. Reddit can do this because Reddit has a collapsible tree style forum. We do not. Unless your suggestion is that every topic should be allowed to just go off topic non-stop is laughable.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Nah it's really not worth it considering I like posting in other forums too. Eating a probe here because I get mass reported for saying, for example, that Fancy Pelosi was an obvious troll and gimmick, makes me unable to talk about, idk, cool magic cards I have. So honestly? I'd rather post about the cool magic cards than try to engage with people who don't want to engage, they want to be right all the time and be told they're very smart for being just so correct on everything (Especially when those people are mods).

You got probed for it once. And it was a sixer. That's all it took for you to snap? How long have you been on somethingawful?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You're the one setting new goal posts here, and now you've just made another one with the cultural thing. My position has never shifted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_genocide

quote:

Cultural genocide or cultural cleansing is a concept which was proposed by lawyer Raphael Lemkin in 1944 as a component of genocide.[1] Though the precise definition of cultural genocide remains contested, the Armenian Genocide Museum defines it as "acts and measures undertaken to destroy nations' or ethnic groups' culture through spiritual, national, and cultural destruction

And what is it the Mass Incarcerations of a specific subsect is being used for in China?

quote:

The Uyghur genocide in China. Some one million members of China's Muslim Uyghur minority have been detained in mass detention camps, termed "reeducation camps," which are aimed at changing the political thinking of detainees, their identities, and their religious beliefs.[41] Satellite evidence suggests that China has also razed more than two dozen Uyghur Muslim religious sites to the ground.[

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Thank you for responding. If you have a response to the first half of my post, I would be curious to hear that too.

Since your entire post was framed around "They are suppressing opinions by spinning threads of USNews" what exactly would I need to say about the first half? I've been clear: If I get demoded, great. If we get better mods, awesome. If we change the rules, fantastic.

My entire psyche is not tied to being a mod on Somethingawful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

We should get mods who think rape apology deserves more than a sixer, and demod anyone who thinks a sixer is sufficient for such a post.

Oh no I made a mistake once, my entire world comes unraveled. They should've been probed for longer, but unless you are suggesting we dig through the history and start assigning heavier probations to past probes, good luck with that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's your consistent policy, not a one time thing lol. On this very page someone posted who you gave a sixer an exact month ago for it, and they're still here. You're so goddamn fragile.

So, you are saying you are pro-forumban without ramping. Got it. Thanks for the feedback.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

Ban+30 every post that has rape apology, quit putting words in my mouth you dumb gently caress. Forumbans are stupid. You aren't listening and you never have. More reason you shouldn't have buttons lol.

Cool, we'll take that up with an admin. And maybe that will happen. But given when the DMZ thread was opened, the constant accusal was "Everyone in D&D or supporting the Democratic Party is a rape apologist" we have to define what the red line for ban+30 will be?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimong5 posted:

lol

Whatever is going on in Xinjang is surely worse that anything the US has been up to wrt the Muslim world for the last 20 years. Not to mention our border policy.

I mean I don't have any links to satellite photos of Iraq between 03/04 but it would sure be embarrassing if most the cheerleaders for that war were still in charge.

That's called Whataboutism. And I don't think anybody was defending the US's outright Islamaphobic war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Is anybody not in agreement that the mass incarceration of black Americans is basically genocide? I mean given that the US Justice system in general is steeped in White Supremacy oriented towards doing oppressive, genocide like things?

Jimong5 posted:

How about I'll care about what the Chinese are up to after we stop the far more monstrous policies of the county I live in and have a vote for? Is that genocide denial?

Because it seems like whataboutisim to me to redirect criticism of US empire to "theres totes a genocide there, trust me"

Caring about it, sure. Whether or not it IS by definition, genocide, is another. Nobody is saying you personally have to do anything about it (you can't).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

Regardless of my opinion on the subject, lots of people do not agree that the united states government is currently engaging in genocide, and I do not believe most people would consider that to be a bannable statement in D&D.

Well then maybe that is something that needs to change. This discussion helped. Thank you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think the big problem is how do we discuss the context of various states crimes against humanities within the context of a single thread: I.e. the derailment that both Canada's genocide against native children and China's mass incarceration caused in those threads. Because despite the need to discuss these things, in the context of discussing the ongoing political issues of each state is going to get easily drowned out by it.

Much like the ACAB discussion in USNews easily drowned out any day to day USNews happenings.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why does it have to be a single thread? If these are complicated questions, why not give them space to breath? This is exactly the type of stuff I mean when I say the solutions to D&D's problems lie outside of the current mod team.

How? Open to suggestions for me and/or future mod teams. Most people don't want to dig through a thread to find the single topic they were trying to discuss, that's part of why we split out topics in USNews (since D&D is for the most part US Centric)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sedisp posted:

Why not just have a timeout on the topic temporarily if it really is overriding all conversation for X amount of time instead of shunting the topic off to die?

Most of the threads didn't die though? The Afghanistan thread and Police threads were very active for a long time.

A timeout sounds cool, but how would you do it? Set a topic timer and link in the op?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Just a reminder that we aren't supposed to respond directly to other posters in this thread, because the mods don't want it to devolve into a slapfight.

Frankly I feel opening it up has helped, we got a lot of good feedback in the first 6 pages, now I think discussion is more warranted and it seems like most other posters agree.

Worth noting that they had already updated the rules removing the single post rule prior to this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ram dass in hell posted:

"Whataboutism" is an imperialist propaganda term deployed by the US government to avoid discussion of its many crimes, so yes, you are defending the US every single time you utter it. How is this relevant to forum feedback? Why are you seemingly unable to engage with the community you oversee without this bitchy confrontational tone?

Actually it was Soviet if I recall correctly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

Yes, Soviet claims of "you have no room to judge what we're doing, clean your own home first" were simply handwaved away by calling it "whataboutism." This is exactly what ram dass is telling you.

Ah, gotcha, my bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mellow Seas posted:

e: More generally, CommieGIR also seems to like posting a lot, which is fine, but it's probably better for mods to try not to post in general. I think if you asked CG which he would rather do, he would rather post, which is fine, but maybe not compatible with being a mod - probably better to post basically never (like fos) or only intermittently and in a relatively non-interactive way like GJB. Mods posting, even if they do it reasonably, just seems to get people riled up, and I think it's fair to consider accepting a modsmanship as a semi-retirement from postermanship.

Maybe, a good point. I don't know, maybe that needs to be a requirement to be a mod.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sarcastr0 posted:

I’d like to point out that while this and the QCS thread were super active, USNews became mostly chill and good.

Which was part of why the Blow thread was started, the hope was people could work out their anxiety and some of their shitposting in there and it did work, briefly. Then it turned into everyone turning on one another and we had to close it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The confusing thing being: Nobody is stopping anyone from making a thread about any of these topics. And stuff like drug/vaping/smoking law has a lot of discussion potential. Why should it be entirely in UsNews?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Irony.or.Death posted:

CG, I do not think you should be participating in moderation of the climate thread in any way. You feel very strongly that nuclear build-out is the only path forward, which is a fine perspective for a regular thread participant to have, but it's led you to a place where you dismiss other similarly unlikely policies (e.g., planned degrowth, literally loving anything else) as "doomer-ism" and your moderation around this issue has had an obvious chilling effect. I speculate that this is probably related to the odd siege mentality you have adopted re: the CSPAM climate thread but I honestly don't know, because I've found it impossible to have a direct and honest conversation with you.

I watched you run a new poster out of the thread because of your paranoia and ancient grudge with Rime, and when I tried to explain to the poor guy what was happening you decided it was too much conversation about Rime. When I tried to get you to explain the rules you were operating with you decided it was because CSPAM wants to plan terrorist activities in D&D and no amount of simple declaratory statements or direct questions could shake you from this perspective or get you to provide answers to the questions actually being asked. I've certainly been antagonistic in our interactions and for that I apologize - I find you extremely abrasive and am not good at policing my reaction to that. I am sympathetic because modding a politics forum is obviously an insane helljob and it's easy to see how it could lead to paranoia, but it has and you do not have the temperament to deal with it. Especially not in the context of an issue you feel so strongly about.

Maybe that's true, as someone already said maybe we need to implement a "Mods cannot debate and discuss" policy. I am not going to address the rest of this because I have a personal opinion about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CYBEReris posted:

because the discussion is transient and lives in the moment. the new thread might end up being really good! but it's also formally and informally a separate conversation.

We can't control that though, but honestly if the argument is "Well, we just have one big general thread that every topic under the sun lives in" that's also not a solution. Not saying I have any answers about that, but splitting threads has worked before.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

I'd say afghanistan was fairly unique and because it is a huge topic it definitely deserves it own thread. But does a topic like "President calls to ban bubble gum flavored vapes" deserve its own full thread? ehhhh there isnt a ton to eek out of that stone.

Yeah its worth noticing the Afghanistan thread died almost shortly after the media coverage did :tinfoil:

but there's a lot of that stuff, its difficult to tell when a USNews topic of discussion gets off the rails and becomes its own thing.

Probably Magic posted:

I've had good interactions with CommieGIR over pms for what it's worth.

Same.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 26, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

The thing about derails is that if other posters start to move on and there's words left unsaid then posters will start their own threads, on their own, without needing to be directed to do so by mods. I would say that getting people to talk about something if they want the thread to talk about it is the bare minimum absolute easiest thing you could do to change the posting culture for the better since it's bog standard IK behavior literally everywhere else in the forums.

The problem is that doesn't seem to happen here as often. In fact most of the new threads were made by mods it seems like. Like I said: Its weird that nobody feels like they can open their own threads here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LGD posted:

Why would that be at all weird? D&D is widely perceived as having mods who are heavy handed, capricious, ideologically driven, and serve the preferences of a subset of regulars who are keen to mass-report anything they don't like. Starting a thread is a much more attention-getting and "serious" undertaking than mere posting (can't autoban with a post!), so it should be no surprise that people are disinclined to start new threads. Meanwhile, most threads started by mods are not actually a natural result of a conversation hitting enough critical mass to deserve a spinoff, but because mods feel they need to intervene to remove a derail (the precise motivations are left as an exercise for the reader). Indeed, the very fact that the mods so frequently intervene (relative to other forums) in the most-read threads to dictate how conversations should be "properly" sequestered in fact almost certainly heavily reinforces those impressions/tendencies.

And how do we fix it? We've already taken away that: Yes, we need to be more hands off. We're agreed there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, please start making new threads monthly for US News.

Also not a bad idea at all. If I recall, doesn't UK and a couple other regional threads do seasonal/monthly threads?

e: Yes they do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cease to Hope posted:

That's just being a hostile dickhead, which should get people probed. A petty list of banned words is not the right solution to the problem of aggro posting.

Also its more hands on, when the consensus is: Hands off, mods. I think with insults like that, we gotta take it contextually. Granted, I don't think demonRAT, chud, tankie, etc. really is a sign a conversation or discussion is going well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

A Excel spreadsheet that's like the Postinomicon/Adminomicon/Modinomicon(??? Still workshopping this) that's like a central compedium of modmin notes on problematic users, current thread/forum bans, and perhaps an automated tool like a spreadsheet formula to track ramps and probes would be a useful tool.

I also think you could probably set up a JIRA server to accept reports/probes via redirects to create automated tickets for a much smoother workflow for responding to reports and tracking probes/actions etc would also be useful but would take more specialized expertese to make work.

JIRA has the bonus that with integration you could probably let posts get reported more than once as a means of determining priority (and to avoid this being gamed by people abusing this; once a report ticket is set to CLOSED/In progress/Etc that additional reports do nothing as its been seen.

You are vastly overthink what is available to us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

hi i don't have much to say about d&d that i haven't already said in the QCS thread but i want to dispute this

the blow zone was good, it worked, you felt you had to close it because you were uncomfortable with people being angry at each other and also you were uncomfortable with the fact that at least one poster on the d&d "side" took their mask off and went full "tara reade is a liar", something which had to be pointed out to you and which you punished with a 6er, the probation type that isn't really a punishment. people were uncomfortable with your non-punishment and posted angrily at you. all of these things came together to make you feel that the blow zone was sufficiently uncivilized so as to require never opening it up again.

none of that is a law of nature. you didn't "have to" close it, but you did, because you didn't want to let the de facto "succ zone embassy" actually operate by succ zone rules in order to let folks work out their grievances. if the blow zone was a permanent weekly institution i think you would see the same pattern every week: level-headed discussions and people reaching out across the battle lines, mixed in with people arguing and laying out their grievances. that's what any "outlet" thread designed for people to work their anxiety and shitposting out in is going to look like. it's what the last incarnation of the blow zone looked like - don't minimize the reasonable discussions that were taking place over the whole weekend just because they were interspersed with the more heated stuff.

anyway basically the blow zone worked, if you were to continue it it would continue to work and would both let people slapfight in an isolated manner, and occasionally reveal the "bad apples" in d&d when they get baited into writing screeds about tara reade or whatever issue of the day is contentious. you may not be the mod that should shepherd the blow zone in the future, however, because you do not like angry discussions nor do you recognize/appropriately respond to the severity of situations where posters take their mask off and say nasty poo poo

"You are all a bunch of rape apologists" just ain't the quality posting you think it is I was hoping for, I wanted more chill chat than anything.. But maybe given the desire for us to be hands off, we can bring it back. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore.

Who knows what the weekend will bring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cloaked posted:

Right now it’d just be another thread where D&D meta is discussed, which right now will inevitably lead to bad moderator actions, which will appropriately upset people, so maybe not a great idea. Did that thread even start with a topic other than “let’s mock cspam”? It didn’t seem like good framing for chill chat.

No, the goal was not mock cspam. Not only is riling up cross forums drama something we actively try to avoid, it doesn't make any sense to do.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 27, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nucleic Acids posted:

You also still posted rape apologia about Tara Reade. You directly, literally did that.

Let's not start that up here, thanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

are you ever gonna deal with the fact that you gave him a slap on the wrist for some absolutely disgusting actions and words? Are you going to take action that redresses that? at all?

No, and this thread isn't the re-litigate probes thread. And your inability to expect mods to be fallible humans who make mistakes is interesting.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That is thoroughly impressive.