Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
HOT TAKES:

-I think the mods are mostly fine. Ralph, Commie, GJB, I think you're all decent. Steve I'm more eh about. Epic High Five I put on ignore for... some reason a while back, and I refuse to take them off ignore out of principle :v:

-I feel like many, if not most of the mods have an aversion to using probes higher than a 6er for most shitposts, and I think that's a mistake. To illustrate this, from literally earlier today, I made a post that I knew was going to get a 6 hour probe in USPOL. And it did! But my thought process was, "Well, it'll get a probe, but only for six hours while I'm at work, so gently caress it, cost of doing business." I imagine that many other posters who get hit with 6 hour probes go through that very same thought process—which is a problem! It may slightly reduce the overall number of bad posts/lovely behavior, but so long as it doesn't actually deter people from making bad posts, it doesn't address the core issue of... people making bad posts. If moderation is supposed to be a deterrent, then the punishments need to be significant enough to actually deter people from making bad posts in the first place.

-Much has been made of "The problem with D&D" and the C-SPAM/D&D war, and what changes can be made to moderation to address that. But other than the most obvious and practical solution (permabanning all my forums enemies), I'm going to take the bold stance that these issues really can't be solved by moderation alone. We live in an extremely polarized society, at a time when the stakes of political actions have never been higher. The fate of Democratic governance, in America and elsewhere in the world, is in peril. The effects of climate change will be devastating, We're actively living through a global pandemic. Tensions are going to be high, and that's before we consider that the entire history of leftist discussion (Which, let's be honest, is the majority of what happens in both D&D and CSPAM, for given values of "Leftist") is one of endless argumentation, slapfighting, and denunciations over minor doctrinal differences. No amount of changes to the rules of D&D or forums moderation can solve the core problem that "the world is hosed," and that should be at the forefront of the minds of the mods and admins before considering any major changes to how these forums are run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU