Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

You did the right thing by calling us.
Posting in D&D (in US-centered topics) is too high stakes right now. There's no leeway for being a novice or learning about things, you're supposed to know not only everything about the topic but also the extensive history of all the discussion participants. Like, at BEST posting anything here will get you called a nazi rape-lover, probably behind your back in another forum, or maybe to your face I guess if you're lucky. And for all that you're not going to change any minds, you're not going to learn anything because you are supposed to be an expert already, and you're definitely, DEFINITELY, not allowed to be having any fun. I realized almost the only time I post here is when another person infuriates me to the point where I want to lash out in response. So now I try not to read D&D at all.

Life is hard enough in our year 2021, adding more hostility to my day isn't worth participating here.

My dream D&D is a low stakes left-leaning political chat zone where we are not acting like our posts will save the world or really make much a difference to anything except letting a few middle age computer touchers blow off steam, chat about current events and political history, and feel a tiny sense of community for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

I don't know what you're going on about, but you don't get to use survivors as your personal shield when you're questioning other survivors' stories. If you're a survivor, please don't question other survivor's stories. It's as simple as that.

Stuff like this is going to make people really uncomfortable posting here. It's not just a meme, it's actively distressing and I was really tempted right now to just ask for a forum ban so I could spare myself posting with stuff like this. Maybe I still should. I dunno. Night's late, I'll give myself morning to think about it.

I hate how D&D talks about rape in general, in both the apologia and the "why do you love rape, biden voter". It's extremely distressing in a fight-or-flight panic kind of way.

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

Cloaked posted:

Man, this thread is stellar at generating examples of toxic condescending D&D voice; but don't worry, I assume this poster just made a little whoopsie here and with gentle feedback will do better next time.

I've seen folks in this thread passionately argue both that D&D regulars need to learn how to deal with harsh tones AND D&D regulars need to stop posting with harsh tones. If we assume that the answer is not for D&D regs to always be nice while everyone else gets to always be mean, I'm not sure what the takeaway is here except that everyone has an opinion.

Grooglon
Nov 3, 2010

If you have ever voted in a US election, it is incredibly likely that someone on the ballot that you voted for who sexually assaulted someone. If you have ever watched a movie or a tv show, you have watched a piece of media where someone involved in the production sexually assaulted someone. If you have ever bought a product, someone involved in creating that product sexually assaulted someone. Look at the numbers sometime. There are a lot of assaulters wandering around out there. To never "support" a sexual assaulter is to never participate in democracy, or buy a product, or watch or read media. To say otherwise is making the exact same argument as that dude in the "and yet you live in a society, curious" panel.

But I give up -- you win! You've chased a rape victim out of D&D, moral victory upheld! You can all feel very good about yourselves now.