Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that was legitimately one of the best anime animation i've ever seen. just crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

That whole episode loving ruled.

Also the demon is horrifying, holy poo poo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Best single episode I've seen of anything in a couple years probably

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Yeah that loving ruled

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gott dang :suspense:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Odds of an uncorrupted child Miranjo coming from whatever soul remnant was with Daida?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
definitely got some ping pong the animation vibes from that ep. They must have spent their entire budget on this one episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What a standout episode on a series thats been constantly standing out. Absolutely fantastic capstone that opens up the story for more new things, gonna be hard to wait out a second season after this one is done.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Fantastic episode. Someone needs to make some animated gifs of the more impressive moments so I can send them around to people and get them onboard.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This ep was so pretty it made my eyes well up. Evidently I still do that with beautiful animation.
Hot drat.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

God drat why is this show so good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I very much like this show. Yes. :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't want this to end. I want to see Bojji's quest to kill the demon and save Miranjo's soul. If we don't get a season 2 announcement this year, I'm going to be mega sad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You'll just have to read the manga.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I decided to read the manga from the beginning. The choices the anime made to move around some events and flashbacks is very interesting. I don't think there's any order that is especially better than the other, but I recommend anyone who really wants to dive in to this series to check out the early manga to compare.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just found out the mangaka for Ousama started it as his first major project at the age of 41 after leaving the salaryman life.. :psyduck:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

That’s awesome

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Huh, the anime skipped a whole flashback of Bebin being mentored by Despa, who taught him how to cut steel, and gave him his wavy sword

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mabels big day posted:

Huh, the anime skipped a whole flashback of Bebin being mentored by Despa, who taught him how to cut steel, and gave him his wavy sword

That would explain why he sent bojji and kage to seek Despa for mentorship early on.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’ve been somewhat disappointed with the second half. The first half had a lot of… weight, and really good pacing and stuff felt like there were stakes and the show kinda straddled the line between something dark and serious and whimsical fantasy. The second half for a lot of it felt extremely slow like they were stretching out stuff really hard. Then everyone gets healed all the time, suddenly it felt like there were no stakes and no real danger. The animation also took quite a dive.

Latest episode was very strong though.

The second OP is REALLY loving good though. Like maybe in top ten favorite ops ever.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Hilling is the audience stand in here, and Despa continues being the best

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Another incredible episode but WHY did it have to go the weirdest possible route with Miranjo and Daida. Thats like 4 levels of hosed up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Yeah what the gently caress

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

uh how old is daida

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

We can do some mental gymnastics here to almost make it seem not as super weird and gross as it is:

Miranjo was very young when her mom died and lived with Bosse. By the time she and Bosse met with the devil we can maybe guess she was in her mid or early teens? Maybe? And add a few years for Bosse to meet his wife and have Boji, and Boji to be old enough to have the traumatic memory of his mom dying, let's say 3 or 4 years old.... Miranjo could be 17-18 when she died. Just ignore the probably 15 years she spent trapped in a mirror afterwards since her body wasnt aging :v:

I think we're expected to assume Daida is also in his early to mid teens (which means Boji has to be like 18 or something? I know he isn't growing any bigger than what he's at but this is still very odd)

And thats just being charitable. Daida could be like 10 or something idk lol. I cant imagine Miranjo's living self is currently any younger than 17. Nevermind I cant mentally gymanatics this not being weird

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Not like Miranjo Bosse was good either, given that Bosse basically raised her.

Edit: Also I guess everyone knows now that Bojji can lip read, but it's still kind of irritating that they stopped signing to him.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 17, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
quite disappointed that I'm gonna have to start adding an asterisk whenever I recommend this anime, but hell still AOTS

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey man, feudalism.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

also bosse man stick with giant women, jesus. how does that even work.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Tbh for most of the episode I thought this was some kind of illusion created by the demon to mess with Miranjo, it was just so absurdly easy and positive, with every single thing going her way. But I guess not???

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Supremezero posted:

Not like Miranjo Bosse was good either, given that Bosse basically raised her.

Edit: Also I guess everyone knows now that Bojji can lip read, but it's still kind of irritating that they stopped signing to him.

They stopped it almost entirely in the second half, idk maybe they stop it in the manga as well but the anime also has significantly less good animation in part 2 and sign seems kinda hard to make look right without the budget for it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

quite disappointed that I'm gonna have to start adding an asterisk whenever I recommend this anime, but hell still AOTS

only one?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The lip reading is fine but there is definitely stuff like Kage or Despa calling out to Boji *while they are behind him* and he responds or acts in accordance to what they say and that bugs me. Or how he can understand Miranjo in the mirror? Does her voice telepathically enter his mind?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mabels big day posted:

The lip reading is fine but there is definitely stuff like Kage or Despa calling out to Boji *while they are behind him* and he responds or acts in accordance to what they say and that bugs me. Or how he can understand Miranjo in the mirror? Does her voice telepathically enter his mind?

She's a magical entity in a mirror, you think she has vocal chords?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mabels big day posted:

I thought that Boji could always just understand Kage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought that Boji could always just understand Kage.

Boji reads Kage's "lips", or the little mouth thing he has when he talks. The bigger mystery is why Kage perfectly understands Boji

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
The backstory was much leaner than I was hoping for. Sad! Cliff notes-feeling rear end

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Also: lol. At least Hilling had the right reaction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It turns out there is actually nothing more complicated to Miranjo, I guess. "She's an evil piece of poo poo. End of story. Also we wasted our one free wish to keep her alive for god knows what reason"

Like, I really feel like they just kinda forgot to make her at all sympathetic...