Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a great series, really gonna miss it.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

See you all in five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Loved the last episode despite its flaws. Still hate Daisa/Miranjo and Kage leaving without a word made me want to reach through the screen and scream “Use your words, dumbass!” to his face but it ended on a nice note so I’m not super mad about it.

Pretty good series overall! Boji/Kage best totally not gay relationship since Luca.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good series, was great until the last couple of chapters brought it down a notch.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

See you all in five years

remember to be kind and believe in urselves like boji, thread :)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The ED hits different after the last episode...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Going to be tough to top that for AOTY. Great characters. Super feel good, and despite a small slump early/mid-2nd cour, the animation was phenomenal.

The plot shift for the back half didn't bother me at all, but I see why if downed some people. Here's hoping the show's success gets Touka to jam out the rest of the story, so we're not waiting the aforementioned 5 years.

At least Bojji correctly won best boy at the Crunchyroll Awards last month, apparently. :v:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The first cour was good enough that I confidently voted it for AOTY last year but I'm gonna be honest, the second cour was poor bordering on being outright bad.

It was just constant low-stakes fights with no tension after the 3rd time a character was "grievously wounded" only to be saved at the last second and fully healed. Or just knocked out and then woken up an episode later. Or a fight is just interrupted before anyone can be hurt badly. There was also a lot of characters impeding the plot for contrived, dumb reasons or having melodramatic personal crises every episode to slow down the plot. Bojji in particular just kept getting delayed for like half the arc it felt like.

Meanwhile, the entire arc was extremely low tension and arbitrary as it was obvious the threat only existed for as long as it took for Bosse to get over his poo poo and save everyone.

It had some great character moments in between all of this and some good to excellent animation but in general it really lost me tbh.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

just noticed there was a sakugablog post about the production for this show
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2022/03/10/animating-modern-nostalgia-ranking-of-kings-ousama-ranking-production-notes/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

just watched through this show, thought it was very good until the very end lol. i ended up really appreciating the way sympathetic character motivations were hidden for large stretches of time - at the start of the show there's some pretty good twists in bebin actually being a pretty cool guy and hilling being a loving mother, but even after i figured out the formula i still liked it a lot. implying through presentation a misleading/obvious goal, only to later reveal an entirely different backstory, did a lot to accentuate how these characters all had complex and contradictory motivations to me. the way each reveal would recontextualize that character's earlier actions was really fun, so even once i knew that clearly x character will be revealed to have been a good person all along, it kept me engaged and guessing at what could possibly be convincing a good person to do this. really wish there was more shows taking this kind of approach to their character writing, it was a great way of keeping me excited every time we got to see new info on x character.

i thought having bojji's struggles with the mundane disability of being deaf get mirrored by the focus on his fantastical disability of having no strength was really clever! having him become an incredibly strong fighter because of the superhuman precision and perception his disabilities forced him to develop far beyond what a "normal" person could accomplish felt like a great way of handling a shounen anime about having a disability, i say as someone with no physical disabilities nor personal connection to any disabled community (are these the correct PC terms for this? doesn't feel right but idk what the right terms would be).

was kind of surprised skimming the thread after watching and seeing all the miranjo hate, i really liked her as a character. maybe it was because i was so in tune with looking for what could possibly be leading her to do these actions if she isn't just wicked and cruel? the whole throughline of her being lynched as a child -> brief period of happiness -> be consumed by the doubt that her presence was hurting the person who gave her that happiness -> being stuck forever chasing regaining that original happiness and gradually abandoning her humanity in the process landed really hard for me. ultimately i was really satisfied with the explanations given for her actions, which is something i spent most of my time watching worried the show would drop the ball on. it just all ties together really nicely, reminded me a lot of how well kage's backstory emotionally informs his decision to throw his lot in with bojji despite having very little reason to believe it's a good idea. like kind of the dark flipside to that intense, trauma-induced need to have someone who cares about you.

really sucks that they just kind of blanket forgive her for little reason at the end though. i think if they had her explain herself to the characters there could have been some compelling scenes of each character forgiving her for their own personal reasons - dorsche could probably empathize a lot with the decision to act in someone else's best interests even if that meant defying how you should act (whether from loyalty to your liege or, uh, ethics), domas could see a lot of himself in her guilt for hurting someone she cares about and seeking atonement for performing truly reprehensible acts, kage would definitely understand being desperate to feel a strong connection with someone and doing anything to stop them from dying, etc. these characters are complex and well written enough that i totally think something along these lines could have worked very well, in an ending building on the multifaceted characterization this story is so good at.

but instead uhhhh i guess the 8 year old marries her? which honestly really upsets me as the ultimate resolution to her character, it takes a really strong and long build up and throws it all away on the most unearned and gross resolution possible. like what the gently caress there's barely even lip service given to the fact that she massacred the entire kingdom once (including killing bojji's mom while he watches and has to lay in a literal pool of her blood)? loving weird considering how well handled domas not being forgiven was. also really bizarre that after controlling the whole story at the end she transforms into a wife-shaped mannequin with 0 input on anything that is happening, despite it being about her own redemption. seriously i don't think she ever vocalizes any kind of direct opinion on daida marrying her, which kind of makes it a multi-dimensionally weird and gross story decision. what a terrible way to end.

feel like kage leaving at the end is another example of some real missed potential - there's a strong parallel between him feeling like he's dragging bojji down and miranjo feeling like bosse gave up his dreams for her, and it goes entirely unacknowledged. i don't recall any kind of real build up in earlier scenes for why kage would feel this way either, so having it come out of nowhere just feels like some cheap last minute drama. which sucks because i like the idea of kage and bojji's relationship culminating in kage needing bojji to lift him up and prove his value and worth to him, that kind of reciprocity could have ended up being really sweet if it had any real emotional groundwork done leading up to it.

the biggest disappointment though is hokuro never getting any recognition for being the only person in the story who has never doubted bojji and always acted purely in his best interests, i love hokuro

anyways if i substitute in my fan fiction for the last 2 episodes this is a 10/10 anime, definitely hoping for a second season at some point down the line.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 24, 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bojji is daredevil is a take I had not connected but I don’t think it fits he’s agile because his strength was capped at zero not because he’s deaf. I guess that’s a magic disability and it still works but it’s weird.

Anyways I still can’t believe the show went with ‘this entire city flayed a small child because they suck the end.’

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

His improved visual perception comes from being deaf. His speed mostly comes from his other disability (no strength) but his knack for dodging/immense precision comes from a combination of both. He uses the speed to get out of the way but he's only so good at dodging because he's so good at perceiving his opponent's body movements/feeling how the air shifts on his skin. Kage directly points out during his fight with daida that bojji can dodge because his being deaf taught him to read lips and thus he can read all of daida's body movements to know what strike he will make well ahead of time

But the important part is that he has 2 different disabilities at the same time, one someone could have in the real world (deaf) and a fantasy one (no strength). At the start of the show being deaf has center stage and as time goes on his lack of strength starts taking all the focus, as that's easier to fit into shounen battle stuff. But his struggles with his lack of strength are still a metaphor for real world struggles the disabled have to go through. As is his eventual success - the path bojji has taken has made him a more powerful combatant than king bosse, and is a path only accessible to him because of how his disabilities have affected him and how he adapted in response. Thus he's not "worse" than the people around him - he's demonstrably better - but he does live in a society that assumes that his capabilities are different.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2022

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just finished watching this and... I very much liked the first cour, parts of those early episodes were practically magical, but it devolved into the lamest shonen tropes by the end. No one can ever die, everyone is always forgiven. Daida's decision in the 22nd episode is insane and I legit thought that Bojji was going to use those Despa Arts to knock some sense into him. Extremely disappointing conclusion.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I liked how that one dude just tied a burlap sack around his healed leg stump and kept on truckin

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I'm ready to be hurt again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxNpcv0FEw

A shorter run and the clips though filling out that miranjo backstory? more random fantastical adventuring?.....this might cook

Edit: Forgot to give any context, so: a sidestory series of unknown length (I think we just know it's not a full 11/12 episode cour) is going to start airing April 13th.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 25, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm ready to be hurt again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxNpcv0FEw

A shorter run and the clips though filling out that miranjo backstory? more random fantastical adventuring?.....this might cook

AIMER, yeeeeeeeeeeeeessss! :getin:

gently caress it. I'm excited. Especially for more Kage's mom being second best mom.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

weird few eps so far

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

bitmap posted:

weird few eps so far

I like them. It's nice to fill the gaps and show us what wasn't shown in the original series. It's not a sequel as expected, but this kind of midquel is good too. Plus this week we got Hiling and what more can I ask for?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bitmap posted:

weird few eps so far

Honestly just mostly boring to me. Also some weird rear end ideas about how to help the poor.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

have there been any cool fights/other impressively animated sequences?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

bitmap posted:

weird few eps so far

The fact that its mostly just been a bit more of a kid show than before really seems to be throwing yall off

ninjewtsu posted:

have there been any cool fights/other impressively animated sequences?

The last one was a look at Ouken's backstory and feels much more in line w the first season, re: punchy violent imagery. So much for showing this to kids lol

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1672022231919087616

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just realised I subscribed to this thread and a second season actually happened. Is it not very good? I barely see anything about it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just realised I subscribed to this thread and a second season actually happened. Is it not very good? I barely see anything about it

Firstly, it's not really a second season, it's a spinoff of sidestories for the most part. It's kind of uneven in quality. The early episodes were unnecessary sidestories with weird moralizing and were honestly just kind of boring to me. The back half actually does continue the plot a bit and has some interesting moments, but it doesn't really lead to anything conclusive that feels satisfying imo.

I know others enjoyed it though, so if you're craving more of the series it can't hurt to try a few episodes, and you can just drop it if you aren't feeling it yourself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was just some fun sidestories. I enjoyed them but they weren't really needed or super interesting.

Better than the second half of the series, but not as good as the first.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

The first two episodes were pretty whatever but past that I thought it was generally pretty cute. Some fun side stories and plenty of cool animation even if there isn't a whole lot of substance to most of it. If you like the show's characters then there's no real reason not to watch it.
I'm kind of curious what this movie will even be, presumably it'll still be side story stuff rather than continuing the manga. Hopefully it'll be more of an actual story with substance rather than just more fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm predicting a condensed version of the TV Series because I'm in a pessimistic mood and it's the easier thing to do.