Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Weekly effort post.

Studio WIT is clearly doing something deliberate with these flashbacks as part of an plan on how to build these episodes. In this case they book end the episode with a flashback of Domas originally bonding with Bojji and his surprising betrayal. The flashback is played out of order here from the manga I am pretty sure, but I won't be able to confirm until I see the english release (the korean RAWs have this very early, but the english trans is from the volume order which appears to be different). I imagine we will get the other flashbacks they have skipped over during an episode where the character experiencing them has some sort of major focal point.

This is a "travel" episode for the main trio, but its used pretty deftly to establish the world of the show.

I think stuff like this is definitely where the anime shines. It is just hard to convey the beauty of the world with the limited art style of the original author.

Where the manga can shine is in the weird stuff, like this panel where Bojji is dreaming of the lobster he saw. In the anime we just get the very succinct nose smoke of resolve from Bojji before he sleeps.

Another change I thought was interesting was this, where they remove all of the pre-amble and blow up the very tiny panel in this page as the kind of focus point of this part of the episode along with the puppet show itself. The imagery is great, with tiny Bojji sitting by himself enjoying the puppet show.

They also show this guy in the crowd but don't show him actually stealing anything which I thought was pretty subtle.

The manga is definitely at its best when its showing you weird poo poo, because the authors cartoony & unique art style lends itself to oddity. This was one of my favorite parts of the episode, just a weird monster walking by, and its very faithful to the original!

The best part though has to be the Science Saru inspired forest King sequence though

Just a bunch of incredibly weird poo poo going on.

The end of course has a bunch of gut punches, like the poor fox family dying, the flashback to Hokuro mourning his own mom (which is shown as a thought bubble in the manga, but which is conveyed purely through context here in the anime) and...Domas!!

They ratchet up the tension compared to the manga here, and I like the choice to zoom in on Domas' eyes and show the reflection. The show just has darn good direction overall.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love settings where weird poo poo just happens all the time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They were heavily foreshadowing the ending throughout the episode, so I was hoping it was all a misdirect.

I'm interested to see how they reintroduce Bebin (assuming he is actually survived getting speared and the kunai weren't just a Domas misdirect). He's in the opening lineup walking behind Bojji. And anime OP logic dictates that those are all the people Bojji managed to bond with through his kindness and determination.

poo poo's good.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Guessing that the kunai etc was actually Kage and not Bebin, and that he tasked Kage with protecting Bojji from the shadows

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Guessing that the kunai etc was actually Kage and not Bebin, and that he tasked Kage with protecting Bojji from the shadows

Oh, like Domas poisoned the meat but Kage launched the kunai to prevent Bojji from eating it? Doesn't quite explain Domas' reaction, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know why people are taking the "Bebin sent Kage off on a mission" thing at face value, that entire statement practically has *this is a lie* written all over it.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

How can Domas think of himself as a loyal knight just following his King's orders no matter what, when he literally went against the King only a short while ago? Hypocrite and a traitor.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

UnderFreddy posted:

How can Domas think of himself as a loyal knight just following his King's orders no matter what, when he literally went against the King only a short while ago? Hypocrite and a traitor.

That king is dead. The new one have him an order.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SRW 30 means I'm behind on shows, but I did some catching up tonight and

Blank Construct posted:

This anime rules.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Rudoku posted:

That king is dead. The new one have him an order.

The old king gave him a will to follow. Which true honorable knight would go against their king's will? Especially when there is no other king to command him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
That Scraggly old insane king is everything I want to be in life lol.

But wow this series is really engaging so far I love it.

Also, Mandatory DEATH TO DOMAS

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 6, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I want to see Domas’ breakdown when he inevitably finds Bojji survived.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I look forward to seeing all of Bojji's heartwarming adventures in hell, where he charms all the demons and makes friends with all of them before returning to the surface to continue his journey.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Omnicrom posted:

I look forward to seeing all of Bojji's heartwarming adventures in hell, where he charms all the demons and makes friends with all of them before returning to the surface to continue his journey.

Bojji returning from hell with Iruma and company to whip rear end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I'm guessing that Domas pretty much accidentally set Bojji on a Hero's Journey speedrun by booting him directly into the underworld

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

Very much looking forward to Boji becoming the king of hell and returning with a demon army..

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The depiction of the gates of hell appears similar to the actual Gates of Hell (though probably much deeper).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This show gets better every episode and at this point is probably my AOTS. I was so glad Daida isn't that stupid.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

domas? more like dumbass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I feel that dumping the king strengthener potion on the ground next to a room full of the frozen bodies of the worst monsters to ever threaten the kingdom is possibly a very bad move

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I love how complex everyone is. Even Daida, who could have easily been written as a cartoon psychopath like Jofferey, has his own weird moral code that he stands by. His reaction to the vote was a fantastic bit of character development.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
big fan of the king juicer

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Early episode: So glad kage and bojji reunited and their reunion was so sweet - we're big boys bojji we shouldnt be crying like this

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i am glad that Daida agrees that a man going against his own pupil shows a remarkable lack of loyality. Even if he 'just' used it to manipulate him to kill his pupil instead

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Two minutes in, and I was already tearing up. Can't wait to see what the Curse King has to say. Bojji being a "giant that's had his power taken" is a pretty big hook. And it seems like he knew Bosse before.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's makes sense. I had to go back, but I completely forgot that Bojji's mom was also a giant like Bosse since you only see that one shot of her at the beginning of the first episode.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I loved how making the power-up juice was this hosed up multi-step ritual of rebirth and sacrifice that involved conjuring up and killing some sort of phoenix creature with the royally flavored snow cone.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

readingatwork posted:

I love how complex everyone is. Even Daida, who could have easily been written as a cartoon psychopath like Jofferey, has his own weird moral code that he stands by. His reaction to the vote was a fantastic bit of character development.

Look, Daida watched the OP with the song telling you about how you shouldn't take short-cuts.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
kakigori* is delicious and daida should have tried some

*kakigori means shaved ice

Edit: Rewatched the episode with others and this time I finally got why Domas cut off his own hand, removing the hand that pushed Bojji. I think all of the characters introduced so far have had pretty complex personalities given how few episodes there are so I am excited to see what Domas decides to do from here.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 12, 2021

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Even Daida knows really bad advice when he hears it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WOW every character in this series has remarkable character development and complexity even that piece of poo poo Daida actually made some really good calls, this show is awesome. I also cry at reunion of the good boys.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My concern is that it's going to end with Bojji (speculation based on new eps spoiler) actually getting/earning the physical strength Bosse had (or some variant of it) and becoming king primarily through that instead of his purely through his wits and empathy. I know it's still super early, but I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt that it'll be subverted in some way. Can you imagine a twelve foot tall jacked Bojji? :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now that's what I call a proper magic ritual! That was quite the potion.

Also, the spear knight is totally a Hunter x Hunter character doing a side job during the hiatus.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
New episode is out and I like all the little world building touches like a demon escaping from the underworld but just trying to live a normal life and buy some bread but is brutally hunted down by the knightly order. Really sells them as "not good guys" - The story and world remain pretty complex so I don't really know whats going on but it doesnt seem good for Daida

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bojji and Kage are so wholesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
And the web gets even more complicated. Now we have a court magician who apparently gave Apeas his strength and has this grand scheme that even brought someone as loyal as him onboard. It is a good story when I care about what happens to Daida as much as I do Bojji. :hai:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So is the snake master guy dead from gettin stabbed? Or is it just uncertain at this point

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So is the snake master guy dead from gettin stabbed? Or is it just uncertain at this point

Uncertain I think? His body sank into the ground which could mean some divine intervention or could mean he's still dead because the world of rok is weird af anyways.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can't decide if Despa is sketch, or if he genuinely is trying to do right by Bojji

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I bet he taught Bojji aiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Bosse, you son of a bitch.