Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fangz posted:

I can't decide if Despa is sketch, or if he genuinely is trying to do right by Bojji

He can be both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
OHHH MYYYY GOOOOOOODDD

KING BOSSE IS THE loving VILLIAN THIS WHOLE TIME HE KILLED HIS OWN SON TO BE RESURRUCTED IN HIS BODY HOLY poo poo HES A REAL DEAL loving VILLIAN

Holy loving poo poo this anime loving rules I was not ready for the stinger

Also, I lol'd pretty hard at despa realizing that Bojji must never be allowed to cook. this anime rules.

Kage rules as a character he's such a stupid moron but the best friend one could have.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 26, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think Bosse intended for that to happen. I mean when Bosse died he picked Bojji to be king. Maybe the Mirror is one of those very-literal-wishgranting types of deals.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't think Bosse intended for that to happen. I mean when Bosse died he picked Bojji to be king. Maybe the Mirror is one of those very-literal-wishgranting types of deals.

Bosse absolutely intended to sacrifice one of his sons to be the vessel to resseruct himself as king. I think Bosse Intended for Bojji to be king because he knew his actual potential, the core is that Bosse must have sold his soul or something to give himself the ability to resurrect himself from the dead (hence the devil) but the accident was that he ended up in the other sons body

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Bosse absolutely intended to sacrifice one of his sons to be the vessel to resseruct himself as king. I think Bosse Intended for Bojji to be king because he knew his actual potential, the core is that Bosse must have sold his soul or something to give himself the ability to resurrect himself from the dead (hence the devil) but the accident was that he ended up in the other sons body

Bosse gave no indication that he was aware of what the Mirror was doing, and his actions (like appointing Domas to train Bojji) don't really make sense if he did. If Bojji was intended to be the new vessel, then it's strange that the Mirror was mentoring Daida instead.

My theory right now is that the Mirror is someone/something Bosse made a deal with to defeat the monster horde at the start, and sort of forgot about after the kingdom became at peace. Except the Mirror didn't forget.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 26, 2021

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Fangz posted:

Bosse gave no indication that he was aware of what the Mirror was doing, and his actions (like appointing Domas to train Bojji) don't really make sense if he did. If Bojji was intended to be the new vessel, then it's strange that the Mirror was mentoring Daida instead.

My theory right now is that the Mirror is someone/something Bosse made a deal with to defeat the monster horde at the start, and sort of forgot about after the kingdom became at peace. Except the Mirror didn't forget.

He was absolutely aware he literally said "so I have sacrificed another one of my sons" so clearly he's aware of what's going on that at any point he couldve stopped the cycle but kept it going, so he knows about the ceremony and he knows what happens every time, obviously it's too early to tell whats really going on so you might be right that he's maybe a prisoner of the mirrors spell

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Question to the manga readers: is the source material complete or is it still ongoing? If it's complete, do you think planned 23 episodes will cover all of it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Al-Saqr posted:

Re: your last part, the Japanese line implies that this isn't the first time this has occurred. Not that he got the wrong body. Which opens up a whole other slew of questions. I'm taking this as something Bosse has done in the past (probably as a part of a deal with Miranjo) but realized how hosed up it is, and decided to allow the normal system of succession to happen counter to her plans.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Forgall posted:

Question to the manga readers: is the source material complete or is it still ongoing? If it's complete, do you think planned 23 episodes will cover all of it?

it's still going and 7 episodes covered close to a quarter of what's been published

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

them having a liberal style of adapting things makes a direct comparison of material covered seem tough

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Still watching but the animation quality on this episode is top notch, so many lovingly animated gags!!!!

After the previous 2 episodes were kinda meh in the animation department (some nice stuff like the resurrection potion making and bojji vs spear guard) this one is firing on all cylinders. Also some incredible direction again with Despa passing out fromn the food and moving that right into the giant explanation, very fantastical).

The manga is up to chapter 179 - https://mangahack.com/comics/5207

English translations are very behind on it from scan sites. https://hhs.pages.dev/series/or This is one that is updating regularly.

Edit: Episode 7 covers up to and around chapter 40 so they might be able to cover around ~150 chapters if its 26 episode season. The story is on going so I dunno what they are gonna do in terms of ending this. And they continue to really mix up the chapters, Apeas returning and knocking out Daida occurs after all the Despa stuff we saw in ep7 in the manga. And they have skipped a bunch of flashbacks, some which illuminate what is going on with Bosse so reader beware!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 26, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AlternateNu posted:

Re: your last part, the Japanese line implies that this isn't the first time this has occurred. Not that he got the wrong body. Which opens up a whole other slew of questions. I'm taking this as something Bosse has done in the past (probably as a part of a deal with Miranjo) but realized how hosed up it is, and decided to allow the normal system of succession to happen counter to her plans.

I'm guessing that the 'sacrifice' was he gained something (great strength?) and the tradeoff was that his firstborn son would be cursed with zero strength

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The new episode answers these questions and more! Finally showing a flashback that was earlier in the manga. With the way they have rearranged things it kinda of "culminates" in revealing the answers and bosse's betrayal at the end of last episode. I like it.

edit: Hell yea put some respect on my boy's name BOJJI STRONGEST IN THE WORLD

edit 2: they are doing a lot of catching up of skipped scenes / flashbacks in this episode. Bebin - aka Snake Guy.(With the way Bosse referred to him, he could easily be "Fucken Snake Guy" or "Snake Bastard" which makes me laugh

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 2, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jerkface posted:

The new episode answers these questions and more! Finally showing a flashback that was earlier in the manga. With the way they have rearranged things it kinda of "culminates" in revealing the answers and bosse's betrayal at the end of last episode. I like it.

edit: Hell yea put some respect on my boy's name BOJJI STRONGEST IN THE WORLD

edit 2: they are doing a lot of catching up of skipped scenes / flashbacks in this episode. Bebin - aka Snake Guy.(With the way Bosse referred to him, he could easily be "Fucken Snake Guy" or "Snake Bastard" which makes me laugh

Oh, yeah. *in egregious NY Italian voice* I expect great tings frum ya, ya snayk baystad!

That was a whole lot of revelation that brought up twice as many questions. :psyduck:

Also, the animation was a little lackluster this episode. A lot of the movement was clunky and the characters were off in a lot of shots. Especially that shot of Domas and Hakuro running off near the end of the episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a bit of an odd week to me, they are kind of sucking at flashbacks again. like what reason is there to hide the ending of the mirror scene in the first place (the silhouette is already obvious) let alone to save it for a flashback within the same episode? it also smashes awkwardly into the Bebin flashback that seems to exist only to say "hey he's alive (this, also obvious), but not relevant this ep so bye."

meanwhile the stuff they held off on doing for Bosse actually makes sense (which kind of enhances the weirdness of those other missteps but whatever). giving the one-two punch of Bosse screwing over his sons a la Dororo is a good way to get a hard and fast peak of distaste for the man. not sure if it is meant to obscure how he seems to be plotting against Miranjo, or just to emphasize the whiplash of those things being the same episode. either way i can appreciate it. definitely one of the weaker episodes visually, but it's also one where i don't think that detracts from much. it is rude to bait us with Despa Arts for two weeks though!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Har har har looks like I was right this whole time Bosse is the bad guy and knows what he was doing, I cant believe this series is making me cheer for Daida!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Al-Saqr posted:

Har har har looks like I was right this whole time Bosse is the bad guy and knows what he was doing, I cant believe this series is making me cheer for Daida!

Ehhhh, I'm still not sure about this. Bosse was obviously in the wrong when he made the original deal, but it's pretty obvious that his mentality changed when he actually saw Bojji. It does clarify what he said at the end of the last episode in that sacrificing "another son" wasn't meant to be a generational thing but the fact that he already sacrificed Bojji's strength for his own gain. I'm still in the camp that he wasn't expecting to be resurrected, and he's putting events into motion that will eventually gently caress over Miranjo's plans.

I think it was pretty telling during the ending scene in the courtyard that Miranjo was worried about Bosse's scheming. She was able to get Apeas to go with her plan likely by telling him it was Bosse's will, but when it becomes obvious that Bosse isn't on board, he's going to flip hard.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I kinda feel that at the end of the day, even Miranjo wouldn't be entirely malicious. Like maybe she's just trapped in the mirror until she completely fulfills the letter of a contract she made with Bosse or something.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
(Someone who just played Dark Souls II) I'm getting alotta Dark Souls II vibes from this.

The political economy of kings and kingship, the strongest king keeps getting whisked away to some weird plane of existence for some inscrutable purpose.

Also Bojji has maxed out his adaptability stat and is building towards dex and riposte damage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phobophilia posted:

(Someone who just played Dark Souls II) I'm getting alotta Dark Souls II vibes from this.

The political economy of kings and kingship, the strongest king keeps getting whisked away to some weird plane of existence for some inscrutable purpose.

Also Bojji has maxed out his adaptability stat and is building towards dex and riposte damage.

Not strongest King, best King. Bosse was stated as being 7th in the Ranking of Kings, and that if it was purely based on strength he would be 1st.

Also that weird hermit may have been a former 1st ranked king.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/zek_pp/status/1467444748869070849?t=gxHBDpXPf2VNcGWJXKYVfg&s=19

someday we will be here again

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

He literally says that hes going to use all his strength to make a kingdom where Boji would want for nothing and is actively putting the pieces to gently caress over mirror lady by the looks of it so no, I dont think this is the case.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That scene needs to show up in a flashback somewhere. Bojji's face on Daida's and the Queen's braids is perfect. :allears:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fangz posted:

I kinda feel that at the end of the day, even Miranjo wouldn't be entirely malicious. Like maybe she's just trapped in the mirror until she completely fulfills the letter of a contract she made with Bosse or something.

This is also where I think I'm sitting. So far every single character who is depicted as initially possibly an antagonist has then been spun around and shown from a in a more sympathetic light.

The austere looking Queen Mother it turns out actually deeply cared for Boji, despite initially looking like the wicked stepmother. The snake dude was shown as an antagonist and an ally both. Domas was a treacherous bastard, but in the show immediately turns around to make them seem more beaten-down than anything and he seems like he's had something of a change of heart. Prince and later King Daida seemed like a conceited brat and did bad things and looked like he would become a tyrant, but we also have a couple of episodes showing his moral Compass, his forthright desires, and his positive traits. King Bosse wasn't painted well by the last couple of episodes, and looks like he's about to do a bad thing, but we also see his regrets and his sorrows and we see that he is positively gleeful to learn his son is doing well.

By that same pattern it seems quite plausible that Miranjo wasn't/isn't irredeemably awful and that she may have her own positive traits and loyalties and ideals. I point out that she seemingly went out of her way to show to Bosse that Boji was still alive and in fact thriving, despite the fact she was the one who pushed Daida to off him in the first place.

Honestly, the through line I'm seeing through the show is about loyalty. Who is loyal to whom for what reason? Every person so far in the show has attached themselves either to someone else, either personally or to their title and holding, or to some goal or ideal. It is a big central thing of the series that Kage is specifically loyal to Boji, but seemingly every single other character has something we can point to as what they are loyal to. The various people important people in the kingdom are loyal either to the king or to the kingdom or to the specific ideals of the king or kingdom or two specific people who just happen to be possibly King or Queen or otherwise of note in the kingdom. And people act on that loyalty and so they do things that are good or bad but they always act from the perspective and in the interest of who they are loyal to.

It's actually a magnificently clever way to write rounded characters while still being attached to a central theme. The show is called "Ranking of Kings" both because there is literally a king ranking board, but also because everyone in the show has a personal ranking of who their king is to whom they are loyal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Poor Hilling just has Resting Wicked Stepmother Face.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I can't believe they had us feel sorry for the murderbeasts before Dorshe killed them

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay now I'm just getting annoyed at the show for stringing us along about Bojji.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Hilling trying to give Bojji cake... so cute Dorshe loving up some munsters... so cool

Edit: This episodes great, so many interesting little animation sequences. Hilling perking up her ears at Daida's cry and then the rotation around her as she listens was great. Daida punching the invisible wall in despair. I think Hilling is probably one of my favorite characters now lol

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 9, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dorshe, himbo of the year

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Great episode but I'm upset that we still haven't gotten a reveal of what exactly Bojji learned! You can't keep stringing me along like this!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Talorat posted:

Great episode but I'm upset that we still haven't gotten a reveal of what exactly Bojji learned! You can't keep stringing me along like this!

We know what he learned, he mastered the Despa arts!!

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

best anime this season continues to be brilliant. Daida and Hilings VAs had a massive performance this week. Love it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Goddamn. This show made me cry again, and Bojji was barely in this episode.

I'm pretty sure the true reveal for Bojji's training is going to be the cour finale. It's all just set up until then. (And what wonderful setup it is.)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy poo poo this show is amazing all the characters are extremely sympathetic and multi-faceted it's awesome this episode rocks and Queen Hiling is a legitimately good person

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a good person who is 100% willing to stab a child!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

i love her

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This little sequence was my favorite part of the episode. Can we just do Ranking of Studios and put WIT right at the top now?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
ok, this show kinda fuken slaps

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My favorite little bit of animation was Hilling cutting the cake. It was absolutely, perfectly executed animation, roughly one second long. Just by seeing the subtle motions of the knife, you can tell the exact texture of the cake.

EDIT: I made a gif of it.

https://i.imgur.com/vT1SXwR.mp4

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I Am Fowl posted:

My favorite little bit of animation was Hilling cutting the cake. It was absolutely, perfectly executed animation, roughly one second long. Just by seeing the subtle motions of the knife, you can tell the exact texture of the cake.

EDIT: I made a gif of it.

https://i.imgur.com/vT1SXwR.mp4

That's some good looking cake.