Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just look at all this beautiful empty space below me! Just begging to be filled with thousands of posts about Tim Rogers here and not the Playstation thread. Will he release his Cyberpunk video? Will he not? Who knows. Only time will tell, but this is a great place to talk about it. Share all of your best Tim Rogers anecdotes and dank memes here!

Go Hogwild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone boycott this thread it only exists because veni is throwing a fit

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Everyone boycott this thread it only exists because veni is throwing a fit

No. This thread exists for you to talk about the thing in the thread title! I will unbookmark it I have no plans on making GBS threads it up.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Tim Rogers is the only good game critic and he played Toki Meki Memorial a LOT and that’s a win in my book.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I’m gonna post in the PS5 Thread about it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tim's a guy who is as good at making videos, as he is bad at uploading them to youtube

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If Tim Rogers could travel through time, I think he'd be Time Rogers. But that's just one opinion -- what do you think? Sound off in the posts below this one!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

acksplode posted:

If Tim Rogers could travel through time, I think he'd be Time Rogers. But that's just one opinion -- what do you think? Sound off in the posts below this one!

Tim Rolex

or Timex Rogers

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i will not be posting about tim in this thread.

veni, please, dont mess with the sanctity of our great ps5 thread.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Mr Rowgerds

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rim todgers

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I don't like his bits and find his point of view uninteresting.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Whats everyone's favorite ps5 game?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
He’s a little puke who never grew out of his insufferable hipster phase, and is one of the originators of “new” games journalism, e.g., “write about a game only as a vehicle for droning on about my politics/traumas/neuroses, etc.”

I swear I remember an article on Action Button (before he became a fuckin Kotakuite and would still actually deliver an amusing piece from time to time) where a “review” of a game essentially turned into a thesis regarding the time he invited a girl back to his apartment, got shot down, and basically ended up playing a Mario game instead of smashing. Straight livejournal bullshit.

Tim Rogers loving sucks poo poo straight from the source.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

bloodysabbath posted:

He’s a little puke who never grew out of his insufferable hipster phase, and is one of the originators of “new” games journalism, e.g., “write about a game only as a vehicle for droning on about my politics/traumas/neuroses, etc.”

I swear I remember an article on Action Button (before he became a fuckin Kotakuite and would still actually deliver an amusing piece from time to time) where a “review” of a game essentially turned into a thesis regarding the time he invited a girl back to his apartment, got shot down, and basically ended up playing a Mario game instead of smashing. Straight livejournal bullshit.

Who cares? Both traditional games reviews (aka 'unpaid advertising') and new garmes journalism reviews (aka 'bad blogs') have been thrown in the garbage bin of history by the modern internet.

Nobody needs to consult some awful nerd's opinion to find out whether a game is good these days, reviews are dead.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
"Gaming journalism" is just advertising and there's no such thing as a games "journalist"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
tim rogers is cool and i enjoy his videos but i also enjoy when people are really mad about him

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

lmao how the gently caress does he inspire these meltdowns?

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

acksplode posted:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BINGO

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I'm sorry Tim, I'm never going to even consider skimming a six hour youtube about a video game. it's just never going to happen and I don't understand why anyone would create such a thing. it's a worse use of electricity than bitcoin

bloodysabbath posted:

this though, I can appreciate. cuts to the core of life as a True Gamer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Let the one who hasn't written a bad blog of some form at some point in their life cast the first stone

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bloodysabbath posted:

I love this

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

bloodysabbath posted:

This thread should be called "Tim Rogers' Neighborhood".
That's like everything he has ever written. I will never watch any of his videos but I did used to read his Action Button "reviews" which were sometimes amusing for how he would spend pages talking about some pair of jeans he used to own and never talk about the game the article was allegedly about.
The only anecdote of his that makes me mad is how he went on a long rant about how "Japanese game companies don't have any level designers" based on how he somehow got hired at Grasshopper Manufacture to do who knows what since he has no useful game development skills and asked some guy "where are the level designers?" and he said "you mean the guys who make the graphics?" or something. Which if he did 2 seconds of research looking at the credits of any game or even at the company he was literally employed at he could have figured out that the job titles are a bit different there and artists are called "designers" and level design is called "planning" hence why that guy thought he was talking about artists. But no just use that one conversation with some guy to come to the conclusion that no company has level designers and go on a big rant about how awful the industry there is. I think it was back in the late 2000s PS3 era when everyone thought it was cool to poo poo on Japanese games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
oh word is this the new PS5 thread

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

buddy, they don't even let ME shoot it

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

His found in translation series of FF7 videos are hilarious and great.

I'd rather watch him than 100% of the other youtube review creeps thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey we already have a Tim Rogers zone :colbert:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982320

(this one's actually just about video game videos in general so please do continue to argue and/or shitpost here if you like)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Tall Tale Teller posted:

His found in translation series of FF7 videos are hilarious and great.

thinkin i'm gonna rewatch that series today since the odds of the cyberpunk video coming out are approximately 0%

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This guy really, really, really did not get enough poo poo for trying to claim that filming an editing a longform video essay about a video game that nobody forced him to play or review was somehow harder than working a fast food job. Like I’m sorry but that’s just not true, not based on any metric we have in society that determines things like labor or production. Just an impossibly boneheaded and dumb thing to say, and I hope he feels really really dumb all the time for saying it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

This guy really, really, really did not get enough poo poo for trying to claim that filming an editing a longform video essay about a video game that nobody forced him to play or review was somehow harder than working a fast food job. Like I’m sorry but that’s just not true, not based on any metric we have in society that determines things like labor or production. Just an impossibly boneheaded and dumb thing to say, and I hope he feels really really dumb all the time for saying it.

oh agree 100%

also the uh... i guess classism? where he doesn't understand what's hard about working in fast food (or whatever). first, it's not so much that the literal amount of physical labor in service jobs is so bad. it's largely not! many people who work in fast food or other service jobs do almost no work at all and still get paid. that's not me being critical, it's just true.

what's so bad about those kind of jobs is like, the mental environment. the knowledge that you're working for a company that doesn't give a poo poo. the knowledge that you're doing a dumb pointless lovely job that doesn't matter and gently caress you might as well just die

no matter how many hours Tim stays awake, or how hard on his back his editing chair is, he's still in a position where he has tons of friends cheering him on, and $17,000 worth of internet stranger virtually sucking his dick. even if he were literally digging ditches, he would be a moron to bemoan his situation. it's gross that he not only bemoaned his sitch, but tripled down on that

and then he complains about getting death threats or whatever and how much he hates Twitter and it's like... buddy, so stop reading your email, stop using Twitter. he's one of the only people who is in a position to just stop using Twitter or Facebook and still stay popular

video games

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think tim's vid is going to come out today :twisted:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i didn't even know who this rear end in a top hat was (ok id heard the name) but for the last two weeks you assholes have got me checking his twitter waiting for a review for a game i bought but didnt even play

and annoyed that i have to wait so long to hear the thoughts of a guy who i've barely heard of discuss this game that didn't hold my attention

Kale
May 14, 2010

I know a guy that loves Tim Rogers basically because he's really obsessed with JRPG and Final Fantasy stuff. I just see him as that guy that makes 50+ minute videos or 50 paragraph post of non-sequitur commentary on the games he played as a kid that never seem to come around to any sort of greater or even smaller point and doing so in a really sarcastic sounding voice. I see him as more or less doing a bit where he sees how long he can make a post/video while still managing to avoid saying anything of any real substance or actually concise commentary about whatever he's talking about. If it's approaching something more in depth usually that's right around when he switches focus.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

tim rogers is cool and i enjoy his videos but i also enjoy when people are really mad about him

Well that's stupid.....

Item Getter posted:

I think it was back in the late 2000s PS3 era when everyone thought it was cool to poo poo on Japanese games.

:lol: I 100% totally remember this era too (like 2010-2015 or so) and Kotaku in particular leading this charge with articles on how JRPG's are dead. In reality what I see as happening in retrospect is that a lot of franchises just weirdly skipped the latter half of the PS3's existence, Publishers outright stopped releasing titles in certain franchises outside of Japan for several years because they seemed to think they were unmarketable or something, and/or most crippling IMO Sony forced a bunch of blip chip franchises or ones that were very successful early on in the PS3's lifespan onto the PSP or Vita exclusively to try to help bolster it's sales and it kind of sort of worked in Japan but clearly not enough and at a massive detriment to franchises fortunes on the PS3 and outside Japan.

Then the PS4 came along and after a few years JRPG's and Japanese games in general seemed to come roaring back with HD releases for the console a string of global hits that were actually marketed and released globally only for producers and lovely journalists to realize that the demand was actually quite substantial globally (provided you actually bothered to release stuff on consoles people actually own or god forbid PC as opposed to Vita exclusives) and boy did the Kotaku's of gaming journalism flip their position on the alive/dead status on JRPG's overnight clearly looking to get in on a slice of that pie. JRPG's are definitely hip and cool to write about and say good things about again and have possibly never been more trendy even. Some of those titles that got buried on the PSP/Vita seem to have gotten HD PS4 ports and a new lease on life now so that's pretty cool I guess.

I don't know man that period seemed like a self-fulfilled prophecy to me where bad limited release methods and choice of platform or no releases at all outside of Japan out of fear of poor sales kind of achieved the result on it's own. Like as a great example of this era and the thinking that went into burying Japanese games for half a generation, I still remember in like 2012 when Reggie Fils-Aime totally forgot at an E3 that they were supposed to run a promo when people were wondering if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to get an English release. Like just completely slipped his and the presenters mind that they were supposed to be marketing this game or even mention it's existence as a localization and some interviewer had to ask him about it afterward. Does anyone realistically think they would miss an opportunity to market a Fire Emblem game now in 2021? That's the surest sign of how things have changed.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2021

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I like Tim Rogers. He does a good job of bringing his tangents around to make relevant points about video games, and even when I don't agree with him I think that he articulates things well. :)

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

I keep seeing this Joe Biden meme but I don't get it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
its really funny how mad people get over this guy. he makes some good videos. :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad he made a popular video about tokimeki but he missed a lot of the funniest and most interesting stuff in that game despite talking about it for like 327 hours. i do not have any hot takes about his value as a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Oh, I remember this guy. He'd open videos by saying "this is video games" or something, then talk in a weird g-man esque cadence. People enjoy that?