Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Roasted Donut posted:

Absolutely shameful coaching display in every respect today, just absolute trash up and down. Also pretty much threw the rest of the season away starting a clearly still very hurt Clifford and then letting him take shots all game long. Team came out completely flat and there were pretty much zero defensive adjustments whatsoever after admitting 'yeah we didn't expect them to use 7 olinemen.' Can't run block whatsoever and Yurcich called an abysmal game. Definitely the worst loss of Franklin's tenure and probably one of the worst in program history, as funny as the game itself was. This is the first time I find myself thinking that if Franklin wants to up and leave for USC or LSU that, well, I wouldn't feel near as bad about it.

Low key, is his seat hot if it’s 8-4 this year? He had to throw Ciarocca to the wolves last year and that’s really telling to me. I watched every second of that idiot game and came away with the belief that it’s going to take a lot more than just coaching improvements to fix things.

If you’re missing Bielema using extra linemen and basing an entire game around stretch and weird counter looks, then I just assume you haven’t watched football in two decades. Like, that’s a detail that the Bamas of the world have a million guys in the back rooms looking for, just like at OSU or Oklahoma. It’s a failure of your scouting if you didn’t know it and a failure of your game plan that you didn’t have a look and a failure of adjustment that they gashed you and you tried nothing.

That brings me to Yurcich, who I think is a solid play design guy who is a very average play caller. Without a Gundy or Day/Wilson to curb him, he just doesn’t know how to run the ball meaningfully and starts to get reliant on shot plays for yardage because he sees himself as a home run guy and gets desperate when he’s behind schedule. Penn State has a terrible constraint game right now because they’re zero threat in the flat or running to the edge which means I can sit in any number of sky/max looks that ignore the flats. It makes you look great when it’s working, but it also means your offensive focus is just a cone shape away from the quarterback like you’re playing Madden 06. It’s also why Moorhead’s vertical system was so effective—he understood that shot plays freed up underneath space in the screen and flat game for actual meaningful yardage as opposed to just seeing it as opening thr LOS broadly. If a team can block the middle, Mike will push the ball downfield, ignoring that you could just jam inside gaps and drop 6-7 if you never have to worry about a check down.

Oh, and Pry remains the most overrated DC in college football short of Grantham. Dude just runs aggro pressure sets and gambles on his rotations but can’t figure out a run fit that works against a jumbo set within literally 5 hours of game time. Yeah, it turns out that weak side and overload happy blitzes where you’re playing man gets you hosed a lot again stretch and counter when you can be keyed. Greg Schiano learned that lesson a few times.

I’m going to enjoy Stroud putting 50 on this team next week. I never want to hear a loving word about Franklin getting them over the hump when his greatest accomplishment is essentially a result of tiebreaker rules and deep ball luck. I would hope they don’t trot Clifford out there because I don’t know that he survives that game, but Franklin essentially proved today he’s perfectly willing to gamble on that.

Oh also Ohio state is speedrunning 2014 at this point. I can’t remember the last time that I just straight can’t point to a tendency that’s going to stop the offense. They can run any scheme or any situational. The defense gets better with reps because they’re young and got zero burn in the truncated schedule last year behind the starters. I don’t know that they have the horses for Georgia yet, but I also just don’t know how a Michigan team that plays with its food and a one dimensional Sparty get in the way here and probably end up favored against any big 12/acc/pac 12 team by 10+ at current trend. gently caress Urban I hope we never call QB power in a tight game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Komet posted:

Franklin's gone.

PSU needs to get Fickell on the horn immediately

I still don't believe Fickell leaves for anything short of Ohio State or Notre Dame at this point. Dude's going to the Big 12 and essentially has a lifetime job now. SZD's been pretty blunt about how few jobs are really going to move the needle, like Michigan probably isn't even enough at this point. Plus, Penn State's need to dominate New Englant/Mid-Atlantic recruiting doesn't mesh with him when you have guys like Hafley out there. You should be going after someone like Hafley, and that might be better long term just given that I think trying to focus on midwest recruiting isn't going to get Penn State over the hump.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Komet posted:

Hafley is a good recruiter but the on field results aren't inspiring. I'm not sure I'm interested in the risk of a coach that doesn't have a proven track record.

In all seriousness this just feels like a year where there’s no slam dunk or obvious hires that are broadly applicable. Fickell might as well have an ankle monitor that stops at the state border. Campbell is pretty good but clearly lost a step this year relative. Hadley’s short track record. Kiffin might have fixed some things but is still lane kiffin. Jeff Traylor is a texas use case. Doeren and Clawson both have never had a truly incredible season to this point.

Do you kick the tires on sonny dykes or Dana? Chase after Chip Kelly? Get billy Napier to take his eye off the SEC?

I just can’t remember a time this many candidates felt this pidgeonholed or like they had an obvious failure point.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Komet posted:

Fickell makes $3.4M currently and stands to almost double his salary and those of his assistants at Penn State. And in theory we are still 3 years away from Cincinnati in the Big 12 (although I think they'll be in sooner than that).

He turned down $6m from sparty literally two years ago though, which was arguably an even better fit for him in terms of culture/location/misc. it would at least appear that for whatever reason we know he just evaluates all these jobs with a very different rubric than most other high end coaches. He could easily decide to do it; but this just feels like one of those cases where getting the fanbase’s hopes up with Fickell for essentially any opening is a dangerous game.

On the other hand, is talking a committee with a 4 team playoff into a team from the new Big 12 going to be that much better than what he has now? Idk. It seems like a carousel cycle where some people are destined to do something short sighted on both hiring and taking jobs right now. I have no idea what USC is going to do which feels insane to say as a child of the Carroll era. LSU even is the same.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Lol Franklin is going to lose by 50 and then suddenly leave for USC, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Komet posted:

It's an OK idea and figures into my "continuity" post above. I think he'd do well here, but it's hard to know whether he can assemble the staff and recruit on the level necessary for Penn State to remain at its present level. He's somewhere around my #5 choice, probably about the same as BOB coming back.

Wasn't BOB's issue essentially that he couldn't handle the Booster/Admin state that Penn State more or less inherently has?