Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I miss being able to search and find information. Now you search and find products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

a primate posted:

I used to binge (which wasn’t a word then) all kinds of bootlegged BBC documentaries using Google Video

Google Video and Vimeo were great for this

Unless you're 170 years old it was a word. Much like DUNCE!

I wish ask jeeves was as smart as the real (fictional) jeeves. I'd have had so many difficult situations resolved with some light comedy thrown in.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

All pre-Netflix binge drinkers have been erased from history.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
one of those "i'm like a chocoholic but for booze" situations

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I just tried do a search on youtube and when the hell did the results page get so dumb?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Did anyone else use WebFerret? Such a good way to find pirated poo poo.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Alta la vista... baby :hehe:

:blastu:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when Microsoft was literally paying people to use live.com as their search engine? I think I ended up making like $350 off of them lmfao. And they ended up dropping the name anyway!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Remember when Microsoft was literally paying people to use live.com as their search engine? I think I ended up making like $350 off of them lmfao. And they ended up dropping the name anyway!

I got to choose a prize from them for using their anagram thingy enough. I picked a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate

Joke was on me

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

I got to choose a prize from them for using their anagram thingy enough. I picked a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate

Joke was on me

I think that was the points system. The thing I'm talking about was let's say you were going to buy a computer chair. You'd go to live.com, search for the computer chair, and the site you'd be buying it from anyway would show up in the Live search results with this little coin next to it, indicating Microsoft would give you money back for buying it through that link. I remember often times I got back as much as 30% for doing that. It was insane.

I still can't believe they spent all that money only to drop the name anyway.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Weka posted:

Unless you're 170 years old it was a word. Much like DUNCE!

I wish ask jeeves was as smart as the real (fictional) jeeves. I'd have had so many difficult situations resolved with some light comedy thrown in.

Sorry, I meant not a word commonly used to describe watching lots of media. Of course it was a word you pedant :p

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Was it hotbot.com/text or hotbot.com/fast that gave you the completely stripped down text-only version?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gutcruncher posted:

Joke was on me

I did some Microsoft retailer employee thing one summer (I did not have a job) in highschool, which I am pretty sure I found on this message board. You took quizzes or something and could trade points for Microsoft software.

I got like three retail boxes of Microsoft Office and ebayed them for like $400 each. It was awesome.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 25, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

0day ftpz

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
snap.com

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oth.net

I remember I used to have to upload poo poo before I could download so I'd just upload a bunch of Jerky Boys or something that I had like 7 CDs of just so I could get a sweet Gravediggaz instrumental that was literally nowhere else on the internet.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Computer viking posted:

Was it hotbot.com/text or hotbot.com/fast that gave you the completely stripped down text-only version?

I don't remember but I DO remember Hotbot hosted homepages, geocities style, for a while and i had one. You could take their automatic banner-adding code and gently caress it up and your page would be ad-free.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

oth.net

I remember I used to have to upload poo poo before I could download so I'd just upload a bunch of Jerky Boys or something that I had like 7 CDs of just so I could get a sweet Gravediggaz instrumental that was literally nowhere else on the internet.

Gravediggaz owns also this made me think of demonoid.net

That still around?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Bronze Fonz posted:

IIRC Alta Vista was the first to have a video search, before YouTube this was a god send.

You could have it only return MP3 results too, which was great when I was in college and they blocked all P2P stuff.

Thank you Foo Fighters for jamming my way unto academic probation.

naem
May 29, 2011

I recently bought diablo 2 for my ps4 and it reminded me of that brief era of hope that technology was the future and also how terrible video games were

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Videos on my internet? We had screencaps in binaries groups on newsgroups and liked it.

Download RealPlayer, old man. Get with the times.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

Gravediggaz owns also this made me think of demonoid.net

That still around?

Yep!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

a primate posted:

Sorry, I meant not a word commonly used to describe watching lots of media. Of course it was a word you pedant :p

You think that's pedantry huh bub? Well I'll have you know that the first recorded usage in this context is from usenet in 1996. More like "a secundmate" at best.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Altavista was superior for almost everything, and then my boss introduced me to Google because it had indexed the MS Support forums and that was that.

Bad Purchase posted:

Altavista was great, way better than Lycos, Jeeves, and Yahoo at the time.

I also remember they had a free dialup internet thing for a while that ran an ad banner on your computer, similar to netzero. I used that for a few months in high school because my parents were too cheap to pay for an internet plan. I wrote some primitive javascript that would load a sequence of web pages in another frame every few minutes so I could walk away and let long downloads run, since it would auto-disconnect you if it thought you weren't around to stare at the ads anymore. This is the walking uphill both ways in the snow story I can tell the younger generation.

My friend wrote a bit of software that let him shotgun modems and he had this set up for a bit. 4 copper house lines, 4 modems, running 'free' on netzero. it sorta/kinda worked for bandwidth.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I used AltaVista occasionally but preferred InfoSeek, only because I knew exactly how to formulate the search terms to get me what I wanted.

I was introduced to Google in 1999 in my high school A+ and Net+ certification class, and like has already been said, it's chief benefit was how quickly the minimalist pages loaded on dial-up. Ironic given that they're now the face of bloat. But then Google is all-around awful these days. None of the ways to search verbatim actually search verbatim anymore and boolean operators only half-work. It wants you to enter natural speech, which it also ignores and serves up what it thinks you meant to say, and by that, I mean sponsored content.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dustin.h posted:

None of the ways to search verbatim actually search verbatim anymore

lol yeah what the gently caress is up with that?

When I was in college from 2006-1012, I used to always google exact phrases from my textbooks so I would find either the textbook or the tests. I'd always get a result.

I've tried endlessly for the last 2 or so years and it doesn't work any more. Wtf happened? Putting quotes around the phrases don't work either.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to use AltaVista and didn't like google because it had a stupid name. Now I use google. It still has a stupid name. But now when someone tells you to search for something they just say "google it". Like crock pot or kleenex.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I miss being able to search and find information. Now you search and find products.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I used to use AltaVista and didn't like google because it had a stupid name. Now I use google. It still has a stupid name. But now when someone tells you to search for something they just say "google it". Like crock pot or kleenex.

What are you talking about, everybody says "altavista it" or "hotbot it". Nerds say "check metacrawler", normies sometimes "use lycos, they have that cute dog"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I say "Encarta it".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Farta Jizzta

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fame Douglas posted:

Download RealPlayer, old man. Get with the times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have an ISDN connection. No buffering here.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
AltaVista taught me that when you put a minis sign in front of a search term, it will exclude pages that have that word.

It was such a good feature that Google copied it too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I say "Encarta it".

There was an Encarta encyclopedia CD or a series of them that came with our first PC. A Packard Bell 486. I used to just search through it because CDs were new and neat. Also it came with MegaRace.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lol yeah what the gently caress is up with that?

Anything useful and potentially profitable in the software world is always, ALWAYS inevitably buttfucked by poo poo licking business analyst weasels

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There was an Encarta encyclopedia CD or a series of them that came with our first PC. A Packard Bell 486. I used to just search through it because CDs were new and neat. Also it came with MegaRace.

Encarta 94 on our AST 486. It had videos. That you could watch on your PC. Also the quiz labyrinth game. :)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I remember coming up with the best search phrase that would give you the results you were after was something of a black art. Now it's poo poo no matter what.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

They should start paying people to use Bing.

When I was in college from 2006-1012, I used to always google exact phrases from my textbooks so I would find either the textbook or the tests. I'd always get a result.

Falling into a rift in the space-time continuum must have hosed with your grades regardless.

edit:

Computer viking posted:

Encarta 94 on our AST 486. It had videos. That you could watch on your PC. Also the quiz labyrinth game. :)

Literally the only thing I remember about Encarta was the proverb "Tko rano rani, dvije sreće grabi" (the one who rises early, grabs double the happiness). I don't know why I remember it. Encarta '97 was the one that had a bunch of languages with basic phrases in them along with local proverbs, so if you want a trip down memory lane... :allears:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The worst thing to "google" is anything related to addiction or mental health. You get a samsha splash at top (nice) and then one trillion ads for lovely rehabs posing as results.