Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

About Me:

What I do is make challenge runs of my favorite strategy games. I like to go in-depth about a wide variety of topics including the best possible tactics, hidden mechanics, and what I think of the narrative and game-design choices.

Some of you may know me from my ongoing or finished LPs of Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, Civilization 2, Age of Mythology, Skyrim, or Warcraft 3

This one might, in particular, be reminiscent of the Fire Emblem ones. That's no coincidence, since the same company made both series.

About This Game:
Advance Wars 2 is the second game in the Advance Wars series, named for the gameboy advance. They came out in 2001 and 2003, but were preceded by a ton of games on earlier systems, usually with a similar naming convention. Advance Wars was the first one to become well-known and mass-marketed outside Japan as far as I'm aware.

Like its predecessor, Advance Wars 2 is a turn-based strategy game about rather cartoony characters at war in a world composed of terrain tile grids and countries named after colors. What it may lack in sophisticated story it makes up in excellent map design. Out of the entire series, I think Advance Wars 2 has the best campaigns. They're by far the most challenging overall, and a lot of the missions are quite a bit more creative in design and scenario than those in the rest of the series. It also has overall the most interesting and varied set of characters, gameplay-wise.

About this LP
There are several other LPs of Advance Wars 2, so why make another? Well for one thing, none of the older LPs I found did max ranking runs. I think that getting a perfect score on each chapter is a good deal more challenging, and also calls for somewhat different strategies.

Also, several of the older LPs entirely skipped the normal campaign and went right to the hard campaign! One of the great things about the campaigns in this game is that the hard campaign is not just a clone of the normal campaign with a few extra enemies or something. Many maps are entirely different, so if you skip the normal campaign, you miss out on a lot. Also, when it comes to ranking at least, some of the normal campaign missions are harder than the hard campaign equivalents.

So, what I will do is play through both campaigns in their entirety, getting a perfect S-rank on each mission. That means attaining 100 points each for the 3 ranking criteria of Speed, Power, and Technique.

Normal Campaign:
1: Cleanup
Special: Finding a Way to Lose Cleanup by getting Routed as Sturm and Kanbei
2: Border Skirmish
3: Orange Dawn
4: Flak Attack
5: Test of Time
6: Andy's Time
7: Lash Out
8: Liberation
9: Show Stopper
10: Sea of Hope
11: Silo Scramble
12: Sensei's Return
13: Foul Play
14: Duty & Honor
15: A Mirror Darkly
16: The Hunt's End
17: Toy Box
18: Neotanks?!
19: Reclamation
20: Tanks!!!
21: Two-Week Test
Special: Two-Week Test versus mode, routing the enemy
22: Nature Walk
23: T Minus 15
24: Factory Blues
25: Sea Fortress
26: Sinking Feeling
27: Danger x9
28: Navy vs Air
29: Rain of Fire
30: Drake's Dilemma
31: To the Rescue
32: Great Sea Battle
33: Hot Pursuit
34: Final Front

Hard Campaign:
Hard 1: Border Skirmish
Hard 2: Orange Dawn
Hard 3: Andy's Time
Hard 4: Test of Time
Hard 5: POW Rescue
Hard 6: Sea for All
Hard 7: Mountain Ops
Hard 8: Liberation
Hard 9: Show Stopper
Hard 10: Sea of Hope
Hard 11: Sensei's Return's Return
Hard 12: Silo Scramble
Hard 13: Foul Play
Hard 14: A Mirror Darkly
Hard 15: Duty and Honor
Hard 16: The Hunt's End
Hard 17: Toy Box
Hard 18: Tanks!!!
Special: Deathless, 300 Points as Max on Grit's Mission
Hard 19: Neotanks?!
Hard 20: Nature Walk
Hard 21: T-Minus 15
Hard 22: Two-Week Test
Hard 23: Reclamation
Hard 24: Factory Blues
Hard 25: Sea Fortress
Hard 26: Sinking Feeling
Hard 27: Danger x9
Hard 28: Navy vs. Air
Hard 29: To the Rescue
Hard 30: Drake's Dilemma
Hard 31: Rain of Fire
Hard 32: Great Sea Battle
Hard 33: Hot Pursuit

Multiplayer:
Advance Wars By Web, Lash vs Kindle
Advance Wars By Web, An Opponent with 100x More Experience!
Advance Wars By Web, Co-Commentary with AdvanceWarrior
Advance Wars By Web, First Ranked Match
Advance Wars By Web, vs a Top 25 Fog Player
Advance Wars By Web, The Two Towers
Advance Wars By Web, Second Co-Commentary with AdvanceWarrior
Advance Wars By Web, The Worst Tank
Advance Warrior Final Front 3v1 Special
Advance Wars By Web: I Reap What I Snow
Advance Wars By Web: The Waltz of the Olafs
Advance Wars By Web: My First 2v2 Match
Advance Wars By Web: Max DESTROYS Eagle With FACTS and LOGIC and HELICOPTERS
Advance Wars By Web: An Unexpected Challenger
Advance Wars By Web: 2 Games on My New Naval Map
Advance Wars By Web: Money Landering
Special: COs Rebalanced for AWBW (And how I'd have balanced them)
Advance Wars By Web: Recon Havoc
Advance Wars By Web: The Chosin One

Melth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I played so much of this game back in the day. I could never beat the final mission so looking forward to seeing how you finish that in 4 turns or whatever and make it look easy.

The final mission is amazing! I still remember when I beat it after some failed tries. I was 12, on a drizzly soccer field waiting for one of my little brother's games. Also, I got a second degree burn on my tongue with a sip of some exceedingly hot chocolate-- even after the reasonable precautions of waiting 10 minutes, blowing on it, and even letting it get rained on for a minute or two. That drink could have been lethal to the unwary! Much like Sturm's death ray.

Even to this day, that mission is a real challenge. In fact, one of the reasons I want to do the normal campaign before the hard campaign is that I think the final mission is actually tougher on normal than hard. There are several others like that.

This next mission is not among them:
3: Orange Dawn

Melth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 25, 2021

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
4: Flak Attack

This one is a direct sequel to the previous mission. I like to think that we have the same 2 B-Copters that helped crush Flak last time, back to do it again.

Melth fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

Given that Orange Star is aesthetically based on American materiel, the closest analogue to their AA is the Sergeant York a self-propelled AA gun with two 40mm autocannons that was never adopted or put into mass production.

Named for that guy who captured a gajillion Germans in world war 1 I presume?

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

The Anti-Air units in Advance Wars seem to be equipped with pretty fast firing autocannons, which would naturally tear apart infantry (the game calls their weapon the 'vulcan', which irl is a 20mm gatling gun).

True, but I would expect the main gun of a battleship to tear apart infantry too, among other things. AAs do even more damage to infantry than whatever futuristic weapons neotanks have

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

Not sure what the Missile unit is supposed to be.

Me either. I have my suspicions that it was intended to be some kind of counter-air unit, but I realize some people may doubt that theory because the unit is so bad at that role!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
That's interesting. I'd never paid any attention to which particular pieces of military hardware the various units might be based on.

5: Test of Time

What is the real life basis for the Orange Star neotank?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

tl;dr walkers are as unrealistic as Andy being given control of a military force

They don't seem to walk though- as far as I can tell, each of those silly legs have even sillier wheels at the ends of them. And then those wheels count like treads.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I always thought the neotank design was stupid. I'd actually like it more if the weird leg tread things were hoverjets or something because advanced alien technology.

I think their normal tanks do that don't they?

The neotank design is definitely silly, but it doesn't bother me too much. To me, it says 'this is an alien machine that doesn't make sense to humans' better than something employing the obviously useful technology of being able to hover would.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

scavy131 posted:

Avoiding having a vehicle which looks like it hovers also avoids any complaints about "why doesn't this have it's own movement type" or "why doesn't this tank fly instead of having treads". The Neo-Tank looks like something that'd be used in the hypothetical Akira-Ghost in the Shell crossover anime, it's got that 90s cyberpunk industrial look with the tiny wheel-legs of those tachikomas from GitS.

I don't know a thing about Ghost in the Shell since I'm not much of an anime guy. Is it likely that the design of the neotank or other things in this game were inspired by it?

Here's the next video by the way. At long last we can deploy troops, and face off against the first of the black hole special weapons that we'll see a lot of this game:
6: Andy's Time

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

Are you going to be going into more detail on the luck mechanics? I'd like to link to a video where someone disagrees with you on the value of Neotanks, but he casually drops some luck shenanigans that you can pull off without explaining it.

Yeah I'll be explaining the luck mechanics in detail later on. I feel like these early videos are already bogged down with a lot of tutorial though without me adding my own, so I figured I'd save it for later.

I also want to make clear a point that applies to both neotanks and many other things: what is good in singleplayer is not necessarily good in multiplayer.

Neotanks are great in singleplayer. One of the best units. I've achieved many 300-point S ranks on difficult missions by using them to break through defenses and allow my tanks to annihilate the back line, or instant-killing pipes and black cannons, or just stonewalling an enemy advance.

In multiplayer though they can be cost-effectively beaten by things like artillery, rockets, bombers, and b-copters. Not to mention that a lot of multiplayer battles don't allow for the kind of massive funds build ups that allows one to even field MD tanks regularly, let alone Neotanks.

But I do think I would say that if I'm in the kind of rare situation where an ultra-powerful melee ground unit is called for in multiplayer, I would usually splurge the extra 6000 for a neotank over an MD tank. They're much harder to bog down because they move farther (especially noticeable in thick woods, where they move 50% faster in fact) and because they can more easily OHKO enemies that have terrain bonuses. That's very important I find, particularly for allowing some other unit like a tank to then run in through the breach and destroy artillery or rockets so that they can't counterattack and ruin the neotank.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
7: Lash Out

In today's naval unit tutorial, we learn that the best way to win is to repeatedly make the wrong moves in a game of rock, paper, scissors!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The first boss mission, tackled Max-style by wiping Flak out instead of making a sneaky run at the pipe!

8: Liberation

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, that's really good. Never managed to win this mission in any other way than sneaking a bomber in.

I think s lot of people do it that way- it's definitely the smart way.

Explopyro posted:

On the AI's tendency to build foot soldiers in the endgame, I seem to remember being told (and my experience bears this out) that the AI is basically hardcoded to want at least 5 foot units, and will prioritise building infantry and mechs if it has fewer regardless of what else is going on. This is, of course, very exploitable.

Interesting, that does seem to roughly match up to what I've seen, though I'm nearly certain that I've seen it stop at 4 at least sometimes.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

I feel like the Orange Star crew do a good job of being the introductory nation that ease a new player into the game. You have the Average Guy whose powers make the game more forgiving, the Infantry Girl, and the Tank Guy. All things that are relevant on just about every map, easy to wrap your head around and easy to use, with Sami offering some finer points for more advanced players.

Then as the player progresses, they're introduced to more mechanically complex COs.

I've always had mixed feelings about them as introductory COs.

On the one hand, I'm glad that they made things more interesting than if, for example, they had given you a ground CO, an air CO, and a naval CO for your starting country. They gave you obvious holes in your lineup where there are some units no one on the team is good with.

But on the other hand, it feels like the orange star lineup is Max + two useless people, because Max is strong with 90% of all units in the game, and only notably weak with artillery. I know that in multiplayer he can struggle (if it's fog of war, ground-only, and there are lots of chokepoints). But in the campaign there are almost no missions where Sami's ability to capture things under fire is even relevant, let alone decisive. And Andy is always outclassed completely by Max since, again, Max is good with almost every single unit and even his rockets and battleships can still do their job quite well.

This was especially true in AW1 of course where Max was so clearly superior that I resented ever being forced to use anyone else.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
9: Show Stopper

I'm tackling the Yellow Comet campaign before Blue Moon, which I think is the optimal strategy. Done in this order, you can use Yellow Comet COs to assist Blue Moon, which is very useful.

With the opposite order, Blue Moon COs can assist Yellow Comet on one mission, but they're pretty bad at the job and would be replacing a much more valuable Orange Star CO.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Kliff posted:

One thing you missed in this video is that, essentially, you were absolutely safe to destroy Adder's bomber when you did at 14:30 without helping Adder. The entire turn that a CO or SCO power is active - from the CO's current turn to their next turn - they are unable to build up CO Meter at all.

You're right, I forgot that his CO power was in effect that turn.

Soylent Pudding posted:

No need to split up the longer videos.

Also I'm glad you rank Kanbei so highly. He was always my favorite to play as.

Kanbei is amazingly strong. And of course I always like using a small number of elite units to win in just about every game. Colin is also amazingly strong, but I hate using swarms of weak guys!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Can players replay missions to, for instance get the lab secret if they missed it?

Also are you going to show off what the points can be spent on?

No, once a mission is done, you cannot return to it without redoing the entire campaign. So you only have one shot to unlock the lab mission. I had to restart the hard campaign once because in the hard campaign there are no indications whatsoever which levels some of the lab maps are hidden on, and I wasn't aware that one had been changed.

And yes, I was planning to talk about spending points- probably at the end of the campaign though, when the most exciting stuff unlocks in the store.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I hope at some point you do a tier ranking of the various COs.

That's a good idea. I was thinking about that, but there's a bit of a problem. There are only a few campaign missions where you get to choose COs to begin with. For the other 80% of the campaign, tiers are mostly irrelevant because you're stuck playing with the CO they give you, for better or worse.

In the war room of course there's a lot more flexibility.

And then multiplayer is entirely different.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
10: Sea of Hope

The yellow comet lab mission. Some AI quirks and luck rolls that slowed me down notwithstanding, I think this is by far the best way to tackle it.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Kanbei bomber spam was always my favorite.

It's my second-favorite after one other CO's bomber spam!

Cythereal posted:

I'm disappointed the naval part of the game is so bad. I love naval combat in strategy games conceptually.

But this game seems to run into the same problems that a lot of games struggle with, naval units are hilariously expensive compared to land and air, there's much less variety with naval units, and air power just dumpsters ships in any event.

I agree. And on top of those typical flaws, they added really boring rock-paper-scissors gameplay. Admittedly air vs air battles are even more boring because nothing matters but the number of fighters, but air units are able to engage with ground units and usually feel like part of the ground game, whereas naval units are in their own separate world of uselessness.

I like the idea of naval units being expensive because it feels appropriate, but they're just so bad! I think I would have kept them expensive but made them extremely powerful. Something like scissors get 2-8 range and deal 120% base damage to any ground unit. Paper able to attack all ships for small-medium damage, take small damage from air units, and wipe them out in one shot. Maybe deal good damage to ground units that get next to the water too. Rock is pretty good as-is and would become very good simply by making the other naval units better. Maybe let it launch a single silo missile or something as long as it started the turn surfaced.

As with many things, Days of Ruin massively improved the naval unit balance and made it interesting and significantly better, but it really shouldn't have taken 4 games to get to that point.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

AW2 Kanbei is indeed busted--but I'd argue Dual Strike Kanbei is even better.

Yes, he got booted to 120/120...but that's without skills! Slap on Slam Guard + Slam Shield, and you get an added +20% Defense boost. If that weren't enough, he can earn another +10% Defense, as well as +13% Attack, via Synergy skills from a high enough level tag CO.

All that comes to 133/150, without CO powers. But those units on a City, Mountain, or HQ, and the AI will often times not even bother attacking--or if they do, they'll take just as much counter damage as they did regular damage.

Stack on Invader (+2 to Capture) and Star Power (1.2x faster charge), and you've got an astonishingly effective HQ capturer. It, in many ways, makes the "Hard" Campaign even easier than the "Normal" one :cheeky: .

Dual Strike is the least balanced game in the series. It's not even a particularly powerful combo to buy units for 34% off as Colin and then switch to uber Kanbei to use them compared to the other stupid stuff you can do in that game. Heck, the dual strike mechanic alone destroys any semblance of game balance and ranks among the worst ideas ever put into a strategy game if you ask me.

And I agree, the hard campaign is boring and trivial unless you impose artificial restrictions like not using skills or only using bad COs (even then it's easier than AW1 and 2 and arguably DoR). I didn't have any fun playing it (or the normal campaign) for that reason.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

What's your favorite CO combo in that one, out of curiosity?

Not to be a downer, but I don't think I have one really. When I was just starting out, I was excited by obvious things like Colin/Kanbei or Eagle/absolutely anyone or Olaf/Hawke or whatever.

But I quickly came to find that it didn't really matter. In pvp, I found that the first person to get a dual strike won 100% of the time and in singleplayer everything was so brokenly powerful that nothing was very fun. Also, a lot of the COs were much less interesting and had much more uniform abilities than in AW2. I think AW2 had the widest variety in terms of what kind of bonuses COs got, which I quite liked.

I did enjoy the combat mode minigame though! Also the survival mode was pretty cool. And if you chose to only use 1 CO and not use skills, the AI was a little bit brighter. Didn't matter in the campaign since the campaign was made trivially easy for some reason, but it made the war room better.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Omobono posted:

Honestly, I think the reason both Kanbei and Colin are so effective (including 20/20 Kanbei together with the 30/30 Terminator) is that both buy more effective HP with their funds.

Hard numbers:
Colin buys 5 infantry with 4000$ instead of 4, and they hit as hard as 4.5 units. That's directly 25% more HP and 12.5% more firepower, but the latter is diluted.

Kanbei buys 5 infantry units for 6000$ instead of 6.
30/30 Kanbei:
0 defense stars: they have ~7.14 effective HP (~19% more)
1 defense stars: they have ~8.33 effective HP (25% more than standard infantry on equivalent terrain)
2 defense stars: 10 effective HP (33% more)
etc; defense is hard to judge but the more the better
Also about 8.33% more firepower, and it's concentrated

20/20 Kanbei:
0 defense stars: 6.25 effective HP (~4% more)
1 defense stars: ~7.14 effective HP (~7% more)
2 defense stars: ~8.33 effective HP (~11% more)
way less of a monster but defense is still non-linear and he still has Samurai Spirit
Also same amount of firepower but concentrated in less units

In my opinion, it doesn't require much explaining to see why they're really good.

Getting a 20% discount in exchange for something 10% worse is an obviously good deal.

Paying 20% more for something 30% better is an obviously good deal.

It would take a special explanation or a special circumstance for those not to be good deals.

Kanbei turns out to be even better than expected because of the additive way defense works in this game, but even if defense stacked multiplicatively he would still be an extremely strong CO. And Colin is even better than expected because he has an absurdly low-cost, very strong CO power.

General Revil posted:

Against my better judgement, I decided to start playing along. I lost just a few too many units on Show Stopper to hit 300 points (I got 297). I decided to retry. One turn longer, but fewer units lost. I guess that's a fair trade. I'm all caught up with perfect scores as well. Thanks for doing this to help give a nice guide.

I'm happy to hear that! With all of my Let's Plays, one of my goals is for them to be useful guides to other people.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

My strategy in games like these normally is to create murderballs, cycle damaged units to the back to heal, and capture every property I can. It makes for terrible speed times, but it's also not exactly a good strategy.

It sounds like a pretty good strategy to me, unless you mean you keep slowing down to capture things in the final turns when you no longer need income!

I myself am trying to get better about not wasting time on frivolous moves in the endgame, since I always want to kill everything and capture everything up until the game-ending move:

11: Silo Scramble
(Kanbei vs Flak, the duel of the fools!)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I would have assumed the AI has unlimited funds and just has restrictions on what it can pop out and how often.

Nope, funding-wise they actually play by the same rules!

You can even check and see their current funds and their income on the status menu and plan around that sometimes.

The sole exception is on the factory missions, which is why the factory levels are such a big challenge, letting them crank out 3 free units of any price in addition to whatever they can build from their bases.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Black holes backstory got lost on me when I was younger but looking at it all now i just think the standard Black hole soldier is a mass produced clone. Thus they get pushed around a bunch and are treated as disposable pawns. the black hole CO's are just whats left from the first games fake orange star army, and now they don't bother making them look human and just issue their most modern stuff.

As to Neo-tanks, the dubious logic of an experimental vehicle pushed to mass production with all the bells and whistles still strapped on. Its got a spherical body, which means in theory its got generous internal space and decent armor slopes, with a weird mobility system still attached. In practice this would lead to a tank that's very tall, mobility that's not much better or even worse, survival issues because all its armor is the same thickness and not that much better than what its replacing, trouble with aiming at all because hull mounted gun, and is very expensive to make because curves are hard and big spheres are harder.

The closest real world equivalent for what it kind of represents in stats is a later MBT, faster than the sluggish tanks like the Sherman/Patton stand in orange star starts with and with a better gun.

As to the clone thing, in Dual Strike Lash states that making even a single clone requires incredible amounts of energy, enough that one has to drain a whole continent of vague life energy in order to make even a few. So I don't think that their army is made of clones, I think they're aliens.

What's your thought on that weird handlebar-looking thing on the back top of a Neotank?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

I most definitely mean capturing every building and intentionally delaying the end in order to do so. It does mean that I'm much less comfortable with force projection and rushing. It's really bad on factory maps, because on a lot of them you really need to get to the doors or the seam ASAP in order to lock it down.

Yeah, I'm always a bit concerned trying to rush the factory doors myself because there's such a big risk of the enemy deploying a bunch of strong units at once and catching me flat-footed.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It's for hanging your towels on. These people literally took a drawing of an experimental prototype and put it in mass production. If the ai didn't build them I would assume it to be an elaborate form of sabotage, given how a medium tank and artillery is generally a better option, even for Max. They reach into boat territory and that is pissing your money away range in advance wars.

I did always think it looked suspiciously like a towel bar. This tank has everything!

Weirdly enough the AI usually doesn't build them. It's rare anyway, and I don't think they'll make them in the orange star missions.

I definitely stand by the neotank as a great buy in singleplayer at least though.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Just finished Sensei's Return:

12: Sensei's Return

I think this wound up being my favorite video so far. It's a very well-designed mission.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Explopyro posted:

I seem to recall that APCs are another unit the AI is hard-coded to prioritise, like footsoldiers and transports. I think it probably makes sense in terms of early-game priorities, encouraging it to build infantry and APCs as soon as they can afford them to get started on the early-game captures (even if the AI can't quite figure out how to use APCs properly, it's still the right idea in theory). It's not quite as bad as the lander situation, where it makes them and blocks up its own ports, but it often does lead to questionable late-game plays like this.

Sensei is a fun CO to use, and this map is an interesting one (even if the main reason it often goes well is that it seems perfectly made to exacerbate the AI's faults). I think you're right it's one of the better-designed fog maps.

Edit: I completely forgot to mention the more speculative theory I had. I wonder whether Adder might be restricted from building more expensive units in this map (the most expensive thing we saw him put out is an AA; as far as I know the HQ rockets are predeployed), and if so that might explain why he kept not building things. I wonder if there's a conflicting tendency in the AI, and it's trying to save funds for things like MD or Neo tanks that it's not actually allowed to deploy here.

Yeah, you're definitely right that the AI prioritizes having an APC. What surprised me is that I thought that was their second or third priority, after always having at least 5 infantry. But in this map it looked like Adder chose an APC when he only had 4 infantry. Not sure!

Your other theory may be right! To test it, I just watched a horrifying video of a player who didn't know what he was doing taking almost 30 days on this chapter. Adder deployed vast hordes of artillery, mechs, tanks, missiles, etc. but never had a single unit more expensive than his missile. I actually didn't see a rocket in that video though, so maybe he chose to build that against me?

Upon further examination though, I don't think my Adder was sitting on a pile of un-spent money. I'm betting that he was trying to get out an Anti-Air, but couldn't quite afford it because he had only about 7000 income and was forced to spend some on repairs, replacement APCs, etc.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I just found out a few days ago about a way to play Advance Wars 2 multiplayer, it's called Advance Wars By Web. I'll do a commentary on my first game there tomorrow.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
My first match of advance wars multiplayer on Advance Wars By Web:

Advance Wars By Web, Lash vs Kindle

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Enjoyed, you built up a strong economic lead quickly and that seemed to make the outcome inevitable.

How long did the match take to play in real time and how long do you get for each turn? Also how did your ranking change as a result?

I think the early traps played a crucial role too. He had two tanks earlier than me, but they both got avoidably killed (along with both his recons) after he took bait I'd left for him.

I think the match took about 2 hours in real time. I had set the match rules so that we could take days for our turns if need be since I had no idea how frequently people play and I didn't want to get stuck if I had a busy workday, but as it turned out we both just played with only a few minutes between turns and finished about 2 hours after starting.

As for my rating, I don't think it changed at all. Possibly there are official vs unofficial games or something and only the former affect ranking, I'm not sure.

anilEhilated posted:

That was really cool (also, AWBW is still going, wow), wouldn't mind seeing more multiplayer videos like that.

I'll probably do a few more in the future, we'll see!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Say, I know this isn't my thread, but... I do have some pretty neat S-Rank speedrun videos for the Advance Campaign of the 1st game. Would this be the appropriate place to show 'em off?

It's alright with me. I certainly don't plan to play any AW1 since I never liked that game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
13: Foul Play

Both Sensei missions are very well-designed maps. This one is quite creative in layout and has some interesting gimmicks that lead to several separate battles going on at once.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Omobono posted:

I don't think it's fair to say that Kanbei would have been better on a map with a massive pre-deployed army. Of course he would be, 30/30 Kanbei is already cheating before pre-deployments.

That's true, but it's also partly my point. What I've been saying on every yellow comet mission so far is that pretty much no matter what the mission is, Kanbei would be better than Sonja or Sensei. Even when maps are supposedly designed to play to their strengths.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
14: Duty & Honor

The introduction of laser cannons! This is another mission which I used to not like, but became very fond of when I got better at the game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

General Revil posted:

I was wondering if you would get an episode released today, and sure enough you did. I did get Adder's tank to get in range of my mech at the start of the mission, and that caused him to get and use his regular power. It ended up with him capturing cities sooner, but getting less of them overall. Also, he retreated his APC. and that was really annoying having to follow it to kill it. Still got a 300 following your strategy.

Oh, and for the record, I hate the next mission.

I've had a similar experience with Adder sometimes moving into range of the mech, and thus getting his power earlier. The strategy seems to work just about the same regardless. Maybe even a little better, as you mentioned.

The APC is a real problem! I've had to run it down occasionally too. For some reason, it does usually stop running before reaching the edge of the map at least.

As for the next mission, I hate the randomness and used to dislike the mission a lot, but it's grown on me. I've got a creative new strategy I just tried, which I'm looking forward to showing.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web, An Opponent with 100x More Experience!

My second-ever game of Advance Wars by web, going up against a vastly more experienced opponent playing a stronger CO.

Melth fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 12, 2021

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mighty Steed posted:

Good video. Edge of your seat match indeed.

Thanks! I don't think I've often been that on-edge about a game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

anilEhilated posted:

So are units like Bombers just too expensive for competitive play? The only really costly unit in that match seemed to be the ill-advised Missile.

I'm pondering whether my opponent was saving for either a bomber or neotank on the last turn.

I think that this game ended fairly early, before either of us had much income. Last game (which went a turn or two longer) I was going to build a bomber shortly to wreck the enemy's MD tanks.

I've been cautious about investing a lot into an easily countered unit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days of Ruin was by far the best-balanced game in the series I think and did a great job in general fixing a ton of problems that had been rotting since famicom wars.
One of my favorite video game stories too.

The only thing it needed was a hard campaign and a more CO variety (Making Davis, The Beast, and The Fanatic playable would have been obvious ways to do that).

Regarding bombers- my newb perspective is that they could probably still be very good as counter units. Wonderful counters to something like an MD Tank, Rocket, or other expensive ground units. Heck, they can even instant kill Anti-Airs sometimes. If my opponent deploys something like that, I would probably use a bomber. Particularly against MD tanks, a battle-copter doesn't really cut it unless they stupidly stand around on roads.

I am also thinking that a bomber could be a good choice if I'm ahead economically and have a decent number of tanks (to shut out anti-airs). That could force an enemy who can't afford it into a fighter arms race.

And of course the mere existence of bombers in the game is one of the reasons why ships are unplayable on most maps I think.

In this first game as I mentioned I was considering building a bomber because my opponent had MD tanks (and he'd avoided the artillery that I had pre-emptively built because I expected MD tanks). In this second game, it ended before either of us had a lot of funds coming in. I probably would have built a big unit on my next turn, and I bet he would have too (hence he saved money on his penultimate turn, whereas he usually saved everything)