Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJ_k75f_GQ

:siren:Buy here: Don’t buy this gamehttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1063730/New_World/ :siren:
How to play with goons.

New World is a MMORPG developed and published by Amazon Games released on September 28, 2021. The game was previously scheduled to release in May 2020 and subsequently August 2021, but was delayed to its current date. Set in the mid-seventeenth century, players colonize a fictional land that may or may not have been based upon a terrible time in history.

New World employs a buy-to-play business model instead of subscription. The game offers microtransactions in the form of skins.

With New World, the studios want players to have the chance to pursue their own path without becoming hopelessly lost but you will be. As part of the new onboarding process, Amazon has added a whole new set of missions that takes players through the first ten levels and establishes a number of important gameplay concepts with an actual Main Story Quest. Players will wash ashore on Aeternum, the mystical island that New World takes place on. The early missions will guide players toward a major settlement in one of the game's starting territories. These territories are player-controlled, so this is your introduction to the larger PvP conflict in New World. You'll be able to flag for PvP between levels 8-10 just depending on when you join a faction.

Characters will be able to use melee attacks, ranged attacks like bows and arrows, and magic-based attacks in New World as well, as well as craft and customize gear. There will be “epic wars with other players” which once again points towards a big focus on PvP. There is no class system in NW but rather each weapon has it's own set of skills you can choose from and specialize in. More on this later.

Crafting is what the team calls a "use to improve" system. As you perform a certain gathering or crafting task, you'll get better at it. You'll become faster at gathering better resources or begin to harvest better resources. For weapon and armorsmiths, you'll be able to specialize in different weapon and armor types, such as becoming a master in making swords/axes or muskets/bows.

COMPANIES AKA Guilds

Companies will include not just a way to invite and organize members, but the actual trappings of governmental structures with power organizations and the hierarchies of leadership. The company in charge of a settlement will do the basic things like decide which crafting station upgrades to make or even the fort upgrades. An ironic mechanic added by Amazon is the settlement taxes. The controlling company sets the tax rates for crafting, refining, buying/selling on the auction house and property taxes on your owned homes. If you purchase a home in a settlement you're at the complete mercy of the controlling company with property taxes so good luck.

New World has an extensive system for building camps, settlements, and forts. In other survival games like Rust or Ark: Survival Evolved, building things can sometimes be a fool's errand, because when you log back in, your carefully constructed home will be in ruins, picked apart by other players on the server. But Amazon has a solution to this common issue with a system called the War Window. With this, communities can choose when wars happen on their territory—so you don't have to worry about those 3 a.m. raids anymore.

Combat
New World has an active skill-based combat system, as opposed to the stand-and-slash combat of World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14. Amazon Orange County has developed a new weapon mastery system in order to add "a lot more strategic depth to the combat." Within a specific weapon, players can choose whether they want to, say, improve the damage or support capabilities of that weapon. You will have attributes but you can respec at any time for free up until level 20 then afterwards it can get a little hefty with the gold but you could go into a dungeon and decide your group needs a healer instead of a tank and can adjust everything right there. If you're using the sword and shield combo, weapon mastery is the difference between a supportive tank and a frontline vanguard fighter.

OUTPOST RUSH

Outpost Rush is a large-scale 20 v 20 PvP (with some PvE thrown in) event available to level 60 players in New World. The game will sometimes pop into a 16 v 16, depending on the queue. Outpost Rush balances resource management, objective control, and building up their forts to withstand assaults from the enemy team. It's honestly like a third person League of Legends.

You can only play a round of Outpost Rush at level 60. Just visit a settlement and find the Outpost Rush NPC and queue up. When the queue is full, the mode will start.

• Each team begins at their home forts.
  • Between the two forts, there are three Outposts that can be captured by either team: Luna, Sol, and Astra.
  • There is a full-on rush as both teams try and capture these Outposts.
  • Holding on to an Outpost will reward points, and killing other players rewards points as well. Whichever team hits 1,000 points first, wins.
  • Rewards for the event come in the form of Outpost Rush cosmetics, and rare items, and armor.

Combat can get real tight around the different Outposts, so it's a good idea to come with a decent PvP build in tow.

There are various different Objectives dotted around the map that can be claimed by either team.

You could defeat Baroness Hain (basically like Baron from League of Legends) which gives you a buff for health regen and defense. She spawns every 10 minutes.
Spend resources to build Turret Emplacements at either home fort and at two of the Outposts. These large defensive structures can be used to shoot approaching enemy players.
Players can take on one of the Corrupted Portals, defeat the enemies there, and deposit Azoth Essence (500 is needed) which can then be used to summon a bunch of Corrupted enemies to send at the opposite team. You just need to head to a Summoning Portal and use the Totem.

If you're not into PvP, there are other ways you can help your team win a round of Outpost Rush. Each Outpost has a variety of upgradeable features, like Gates and Siege Weapons, which will require resources to build.

Both teams will try and control the Outposts in order to win the game. Some members of the team should spend time gathering resources to upgrade the defense of the Outposts, particularly the Gate and Protection Wards that provide a constant buff.

• Gates keep the enemy out and can be upgraded multiple times.
  • The Command Post provides a constant buff of extra armor and damage for players on your team nearby. It can be upgraded a couple of times.
  • Large siege weapons (like massive turrets) can be built on the walls of the Outpost.
  • Protection Wards are the heart of the Outpost, preventing enemy players from claiming the Outpost and providing a respawn point for friendly players.

At each Outpost, there are two structures - The Armory and Storage Sheds - which can be used by whoever controls the Outpost.
  • Storage Sheds are where your team stores your supply of Azoth. Remember, you drop Azoth when you die, so make sure to keep this stocked up if you're about to go into battle. Your team can access it and use those resources to continue upgrading.
  • The Armory is used to spend Azoth in exchange for a bunch of different items, including potions, summoning totems, and foodstuffs, among other things.

INVASIONS
Invasion is the largest PvE experience in New World. This wave-based game mode will see 50 players defend their fort from the onslaught of corrupted enemies sieging the area. Players will have a range of weapons to help them fight off the enemy, with the ultimate test being the Void Destroyer. To win, players will need to hold off the attack for 30 minutes. But if they’re unsuccessful, the settlement's refinement/crafting stations or fort defenses will be downgraded. It's been great so far with hardly no one being level 60 and able to defend against these. The first invasion was actually a few days after launch and no one could sign up for it yet. :v:

EXPEDITIONS
In the world of Aternum, there are expeditions that groups of five players can embark on. Dungeons, these are dungeons, but with some added features like puzzles to break up the combat. At the end of these unique instances there are, you guessed it, bosses. Completing an expedition often requires a balanced party of skilled players with enough damage, tanking, and healing to survive.

WAR
Alongside the massive PvE experience that is Invasion, War is the biggest PvP experience in New World on launch. The 50-vs-50 game mode will function similarly, with the defenders attempting to hold their fort for 30 minutes while attackers look to capture three flags then break down the gates and capture it. Both attackers and defenders have a range of siege weapons to help them in combat. The winner will gain or maintain control of the territory.

Should you buy the Deluxe Edition?

Arguably, the most useful item from either the Standard or Deluxe Edition is the Isabella's Amulet item. This is just a straight-up boost for your early game. Then there's a huntsman skin

So, in conclusion: if you want to spend 10 extra dollars on some exclusive skins, go ahead. But really, there isn't a massive difference between the two, and if you purchase the Standard Edition you won't be missing out on anything too important. That Mastiff might be kind of cool, though...

Important Links
Server Status: https://www.newworld.com/en-us/support/server-status
Queue Status: https://newworldstatus.com/
NW Hub for leveling/PvP builds: https://nwhub.gg/
NW Map with recourses and other fun things: https://game-maps.com/NW/res-Hemp-Plants-Location-Map.asp

Spreadsheets! :black101:
NW Crafting Calculations
Trademan's Bible

(Not sure which one to use because I don't use either but figured they could be useful)

Media

https://i.imgur.com/2cN9GoA.mp4

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Goons don’t play anymore. Dead game is dead.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 18, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Terrible loving "game"

Pay your estate taxes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The game really isn’t great but chopping trees, picking flowers, and skinning rabbits is pretty great in this.

The market interface loving sucks donkey dick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It was the best of MMOs it was the worst of MMOs.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Look, the sounds are amazing, what more do you want?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gather all your nodes plebs, we got the 1% to fund for their war efforts

also pay your taxes to them as well!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The lighting effects are pretty good honestly.

The resource tracker is probably the worst fuckin thing they could have implemented short of having nothing at all.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Get AD for Khan in here to dupe more morons who play this game

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

poo poo game

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Game will be great once they add a Darkness Falls equivalent. The 3 faction rvr is already there just fuckin do it!!!!!!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Barreft posted:

I don't get you. Just post what you mean. Why keep posting "We aren't doing this" when it happens literally hours after?

I did post what I mean. We are attacking a territory for the sake of attacking a territory. Not every war in this game is some huge grudge match, not even most of them are. Thank you to the few goons that helped with the push today, Cutlass is the worst zone in the game to push into conflict

If we didnt attack for the sake of attacking we'd just be on defense every single time and only a couple times a week. That's not how some people want to play this game. I didn't post "we aren't doing this", I posted that we are in fact doing this, here's why.

Creating a fight in green's main home territory also takes some of the pressure off our ally in windsward, which they want to take very very badly and almost did yesterday

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 25, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ad by Khad posted:

I did post what I mean. We are attacking a territory for the sake of attacking a territory. Not every war in this game is some huge grudge match, not even most of them are. Thank you to the few goons that helped with the push today, Cutlass is the worst zone in the game to push into conflict

If we didnt attack for the sake of attacking we'd just be on defense every single time and only a couple times a week. That's not how some people want to play this game. I didn't post "we aren't doing this", I posted that we are in fact doing this, here's why.

Idk that anyone gives a gently caress about the life and times of your Nazi pubbie guild tbh.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
It's less nauseating than Final Fantasy so that's a plus

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

then stop asking me questions about the motivations of my pubbie guild itt, cause i aint going anywhere

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Might wanna put a note in the royllo guild description that it may be transferring soon so not to use your free transfer to go there.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

this thread has some really big shoes to fill

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nominating this post from the previous thread for the thread title

cerebral posted:

It always sucked, but dammit, I was having fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Third thread’s the charm.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
In 30 days you should change the thread title to: "New World: 30 days without a new thread"

If you know, it lasts that long.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

how am i supposed to find all the drama if you keep making new threads??

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the dungeons and the combat and the crafting and the sound and the graphics

I haven't done any of the PvP but it seems like a shitshow but maybe it's fun if you can actually get into it without the invading/defending company kicking you I guess?

THere's a lot of really loving stupid bugs.

That's my professional thoughts on the game.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

Might wanna put a note in the royllo guild description that it may be transferring soon so not to use your free transfer to go there.

:hmmyes:

Lawlicaust posted:

In 30 days you should change the thread title to: "New World: 30 days without a new thread"

If you know, it lasts that long.

I am for this.

Kaysette posted:

Third thread’s the charm.

Got it bookmarked now? :classiclol:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

where the red fern gropes posted:

how am i supposed to find all the drama if you keep making new threads??

I’ll add a goldmine section and link the last two. :v:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Make sure to pay your taxes all. The only 50 (50) people that can play WAR needs your funds to have fun.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm here for another meltdown

Not Bruce Wayne
Mar 27, 2020
I don't know if the armor/weight stuff is optimal. Haven't done the math as I'm only level 32. But I'm running around with medium head, heavy chest and pants, light gloves and boots and have nearly 750 defense in both stats. Current weight is 22.9.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Honestly at 60 for both dungeons and pvp heavy armor is just ideal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not Bruce Wayne posted:

I don't know if the armor/weight stuff is optimal. Haven't done the math as I'm only level 32. But I'm running around with medium head, heavy chest and pants, light gloves and boots and have nearly 750 defense in both stats. Current weight is 22.9.

It’s supposed to matter but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not completely broken.

AFAIK the damage bonus for light armor doesn’t give the bonus it’s supposed to give.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Armor damage bonus is base damage only so all your +int damage from leveling and gear doesn’t get boosted. Vey dumb and it seems like more games than not gently caress this up.

Not Bruce Wayne
Mar 27, 2020

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Honestly at 60 for both dungeons and pvp heavy armor is just ideal.

I roll with Life Staff and Fire Staff. So, I like the small bonus to damage and healing.

MarcusSA posted:

It’s supposed to matter but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not completely broken.

AFAIK the damage bonus for light armor doesn’t give the bonus it’s supposed to give.

Well, poo poo! What about the medium armor bonus?

I also wanted to mention if East coast goons are thinking about transferring servers, I'm on Yaxche. Longest queue I had on launch was like 150. Territory is pretty balanced, although Green has been losing ground rapidly and no one seems to have any interest in closing portals.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Light armor is also supposed to have 20% more healing, but doesn’t. There’s really no reason to wear light armor in this game atm

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Light armor is also supposed to have 20% more healing, but doesn’t. There’s really no reason to wear light armor in this game atm

Well the rolling is pretty awesome.

Not Bruce Wayne
Mar 27, 2020
I don't dodge at all. I stand in my healing circles with haste, face tanking with my flamethrower.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Great Cleave is a loving terrible zone. Copy pasted mines and forts. High mob density and everything respawns almost instantly. Archers, musket men, and lunging spears in the same loving fort. gently caress that place, I’ll just go grind some portals for 5 levels.

Seriously though, the respawns in some places in this game are toxic and just make me quit playing for the day.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That's why I love this game. 'its supposed to work but doesn't, gently caress it'. If only they had a beta test or something.

Since AGS already got their money I doubt there's more than like 5 full sail grads working on this

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If this game worked correctly, I don't think I would play it.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

they had a two-year private alpha and so many beta tests the game was delayed an extra full year

there are a hell of a lot of basic things that dont work the way they're supposed to (weapon talents holy poo poo), this genre is pretty full of that unfortunately. crowfall and albion and atlas were big offenders there too.

maybe all that test time was focused more on getting new world to stop ruining peoples video cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

It's worse than that. While this is unverified, it's entirely plausible: I read about someone who compared light vs heavy, identical stats, and the heavy somehow just plain did more damage. So light is actually gimping yourself in damage and armor, if they're to be believed.