Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?

Syrinxx posted:

This game kinda blows

Will there ever be another Dark Age of Camelot, which was too good for god's green earth

Oh if only..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

This game kinda blows

Will there ever be another Dark Age of Camelot, which was too good for god's green earth

Didn't that Mark Jacobs do one of those kickstarter mmo scams and then I think released a really bad battle royale game and refused refunds or something?

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Syrinxx posted:

This game kinda blows

I Kickstarted a DAOC successor almost 10 years ago now I think, Camelot Unchained. I still get emails about it fairly regularly so it's not dead yet I don't think (I stopped reading them about 5 years ago)

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I tried joining a Corruption train of 10-15 people and my game would randomly freeze for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. It was completely unplayable... awesome!

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Hakarne posted:

I tried joining a Corruption train of 10-15 people and my game would randomly freeze for 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. It was completely unplayable... awesome!

That happened to me with like 15 corruptions in one night and then never occurred again. Ymmv but it went away on its own for me

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

It apparently hit half our group and one guy said he resolved it by turning down his GPU power limit on the fly. I'm slightly concerned hearing that along with the whole thing about the game frying GPUs

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Bad Parenting posted:

I Kickstarted a DAOC successor almost 10 years ago now I think, Camelot Unchained. I still get emails about it fairly regularly so it's not dead yet I don't think (I stopped reading them about 5 years ago)

I initially read this as though you were the developer kickstarting the DAoC successor, not someone who contributed funds to said kickstarter, and I very much wanted to know what the gently caress was taking you so long

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Bad Parenting posted:

I Kickstarted a DAOC successor almost 10 years ago now I think, Camelot Unchained.

same. I installed the (pre?)alpha client at one point and played one of the weekend tests and it was in such an unfinished state I just uninstalled and decided not to look at it again until beta. I mean, I knew it was going to be unfinished in alpha but im not sure why it was even live in the state it was in. I guess they didnt want to bother with internal testing which is maybe fine?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hakarne posted:

the whole thing about the game frying GPUs

Can we start handing out probes for this completely untrue bullshit story that was openly debunked by the gpu manufacturers themselves weeks ago?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ah yes, probe me for casually mentioning something that was all over the news and still shows up in Google search as having happened (albeit with Amazon blaming the GPU makers/them accepting responsibility for a defect). Also I'm sure you'll kindly point me to where it was "debunked" in this very thread tia

Don't worry, your game's honor is still intact I'm sure

Edit: Hey look, the most recent article that popped for me mentions abnormal power draw on graphics cards! To be clear I'm not saying it's a big deal but handing out probes seems a bit extreme. Maybe address it with some sources/facts?

https://news.yahoo.com/amazon-response-about-new-world-gpu-issue-not-okay-160954374.html

quote:

In our previous article, I talked about some odd behaviours with the game’s power draw from personal experience, and even tech YouTuber JayzTwoCents has highlighted in his video about the game’s abnormal power draw.

I mentioned that this was not a cause for concern for well-made graphics cards, and I stand by that statement. Somewhat. If your GPU is well-made, you will not experience any kind of hardware failure... for the time being.

Why the power spikes are a cause for concern

When I wrote the previous article, I had this hopeful vision of Amazon reducing the power draw of New World eventually, after optimising the game. After Amazon’s response, I am not too sure.

Simply put, if this kind of power draw persists for the game, your GPU will take the brunt of it, eventually, no matter how sturdy it currently is.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 26, 2021

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Talorat posted:

I’m still pretty low in here, and will probably remain so as I don’t play much, but I’ve been having fun mining rocks and making steel tools for folks. Is there a good iron ore mining route folks like? I’ve mapped out a couple of possibilities over in monarch bluffs where it seems less populated, but I’d be interested to hear y’all’s thoughts.

i live in cutlass keys and do loops there, in monarch bluffs, and in first light. cutlass keys town is pretty well located for iron routes

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Bad Parenting posted:

Hey I backed that too.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of this game killing nvidia cards, more from buildzoid after looking into it more and having a chance to poke at a card that died from new world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRp75YdLaq4

Basically, it seems it is just more of a nvidia design problem. Over current protection for example is at a rating where if it trips, then the card already saw too much current through the card. And in the case of new world, the game is apparently optimized enough (I don't see it, but whatever) that it'll actually fill up all the cores on the chip. Which means there is a chance of it spiking too high and eating your card. Jay did a video where he showed the power spikes as well. So not quite a new world problem as it appears the chip's power draw is too high under load for a more normal ocp level, but too sensitive that if it goes too far beyond that, it kills itself.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Third World Reagan posted:

Silk armor made for women have less stats than silk armor made for men.

just a tooltip bug, I crafted one real quick to test

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
cmon, someone do some insane poo poo

im fuckin backed up over here, i need it

herr
Jan 19, 2009
game absolutely stinks, made it to level 56 before i realized what i was doing and quit.

i wonder if they'll ever even properly fix it up, considering there's no subscription and i'd guess they've already made most of the money that they ever will. i think all the goon drama was just to make the experience interesting, because the game is really really really bad.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rexicon1 posted:

Graphics cards are hyping up to be the next meltdown. :getin:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Graphics cards are hyping up to be the next meltdown. :getin:

Oh man careful you might get probed for that hot take

Get it hot like the graphics cards New World melts

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Rexicon1 posted:

i just completed all three of the cutlass keys PVP missions. I would like to recommend that whenever we figure out what server we're going to stay at, we keep this territory in consideration as The Goon Land.

Cutlass Keys:
-low level shithole
-basically avoidable for the main quest
-the pvp quests take an extremely long time, you basically have to run around the whole island. one of the quests makes you harvest hemp, which is great, but you're also competing with just anyone else in the area.
-all the wildlife is aggressive
-you run past all kinds of gatherable things (this makes it takes even longer)
-there's really only 2 entrances to guard
-no one's ever gonna want this fuckin place anyway

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

cutlass is so terrible to push that we have to break it up into multiple sessions

mourningdale is the other city that also requires this, but of the two cutlass is worse

they're both good zones to live in, cutlass is the green main on my server, but holy poo poo those pvp quests are like running a 10k

at least with MD the gathering quest isnt as bad, in cutlass there's only one patch of hemp thats eligible for the quest. the nearby silkweed doesnt count. we skip that quest

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

got to level 45 and took a break, been enjoying fishing, maxed out rapier, and trying the lv 45 dungeon tomorrow night. still like the game hopping around stabbing poo poo and taking anything that isn't nailed down.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i think it will be really interesting when we start reading more and more complex plots to economically crush people and shady backdoor dealings for region control. seems like that's what makes eve awesome.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
They 100% swap to free-to-play with a premium monthly sub when player counts bottom out. The azoth system seems like it was basically designed to sell players a cap increase / daily regen.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

ngl cutlass keys lowkey great city think youre onto something for goontopia

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

azoth cap increase used to be a thing you purchased with faction tokens, no idea why it was pulled for release

i'm nearly always capped so i would definitely appreciate it if it came back

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ad by Khad posted:

azoth cap increase used to be a thing you purchased with faction tokens, no idea why it was pulled for release

i'm nearly always capped so i would definitely appreciate it if it came back

I’m definitely calling for it to be a cash store purchase here soon.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

its pretty possible

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The race to .01 for every item is a sight to behold. I really don't care what the dev's say about the state of the economy, there's a serious problem for 99% of items in the game. Platinum ingots on my server are going for .20 per ingot. That is a fraction of the price of all of the raw materials. You lose significant gold crafting an item like that. The only things holding any value right now are incredibly rare things like Void ore, T2/T3 trophy items, and legendary crafting component. Everything else is just gravitating closer and closer to .01.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zotix posted:

The race to .01 for every item is a sight to behold. I really don't care what the dev's say about the state of the economy, there's a serious problem for 99% of items in the game. Platinum ingots on my server are going for .20 per ingot. That is a fraction of the price of all of the raw materials. You lose significant gold crafting an item like that. The only things holding any value right now are incredibly rare things like Void ore, T2/T3 trophy items, and legendary crafting component. Everything else is just gravitating closer and closer to .01.

I hope they're prioritizing Outpost Rush, because that will rebound the economy. All these broke 60s will have a consistent income and will be in a rush to spend it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Zotix posted:

drat that's so much more than the platinum on my server. Cooking ingredients are holding their value too, at least some. It's hard to want to buy rare mats when I know I still have to buy the rare recipe and then I sell it for how much to make my money back??

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
The more I play. The more I realize they took all the QOL things from wow and threw them right out the window.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

MaxPowers posted:

The more I play. The more I realize they took all the QOL things from wow and threw them right out the window.

Why do new MMOs keeping doing that anyways? Do they think Wow got to where it is by being "innovative and disruptive" or something?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This is purely speculation, but maybe they're looking at the success of things like people moving from RS3 to Old School RS, which is basically just RS3 without any QoL improvements making the grind harder. I've never understood it either, but people that play it say they get satisfaction from Number Go Up in settings like that

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So far almost every other mmo I’ve played has been better than this game. The people I play it with are still having fun though and I hate to be that guy making fun of the game while we play it.

It’s fun enough if you got a couple friends on the headset, but what game isn’t am I right!

I couldn’t see myself playing this solo though.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The game has issues that could be fixed easily in the short-term and ones that aren’t going to be fixed for a long time. Unfortunately, AGS is doing neither so who knows the future of this poo poo.

Short-term things they could do with minimal effort:
-Reduce Repair costs + increase gold from salvage
-Reduce Azoth travel costs below 60. Put cap increase items back in
-Reduce Recall to 30 minutes
-Reduce xp required for logging levels 75+ by 25%
-Reduce lower tier material required for upper tier crafting

There’s a ton of long term fixes they really need to do but just fixing the above would greatly improve everyone’s experience. The biggest friction points common in almost everyone’s experience are money, material costs, logging experience, and travel. Fix nothing else but those immediately and everyone would at least think they are listening.

They aren’t going to do poo poo though. We’re a month out and haven’t heard any real state of the game or longterm plans.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

This is purely speculation, but maybe they're looking at the success of things like people moving from RS3 to Old School RS, which is basically just RS3 without any QoL improvements making the grind harder. I've never understood it either, but people that play it say they get satisfaction from Number Go Up in settings like that

impossible, nothing AGS does indicates they are aware of any game having been released post-2000

they even hired Smedley because EQ is the last MMO ever released as far as anyone in their product team is concerned, given the final product

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

impossible, nothing AGS does indicates they are aware of any game having been released post-2000

they even hired Smedley because EQ is the last MMO ever released as far as anyone in their product team is concerned, given the final product

If NW was Vanguard:SOH - but you know - not buggy - I'd all over it.

Hell if NW just have the Vanguard crafting system alone it'd be a vast improvement.

I'm a weirdo and would 100% go back to a modern looking EQ.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Lawlicaust posted:

The game has issues that could be fixed easily in the short-term and ones that aren’t going to be fixed for a long time. Unfortunately, AGS is doing neither so who knows the future of this poo poo.

Short-term things they could do with minimal effort:
-Reduce Repair costs + increase gold from salvage
-Reduce Azoth travel costs below 60. Put cap increase items back in
-Reduce Recall to 30 minutes
-Reduce xp required for logging levels 75+ by 25%
-Reduce lower tier material required for upper tier crafting

There’s a ton of long term fixes they really need to do but just fixing the above would greatly improve everyone’s experience. The biggest friction points common in almost everyone’s experience are money, material costs, logging experience, and travel. Fix nothing else but those immediately and everyone would at least think they are listening.

They aren’t going to do poo poo though. We’re a month out and haven’t heard any real state of the game or longterm plans.

Things like logging and recall time aren’t broken, just inconvenient. Logging is really not that bad for a game like this.

What makes things like repair cost broken is it disincentivizes PvP. Azoth costs are a problem because it crushes the underpopulated factions too much.
Crafting is broken because higher skill more rare materials are worth less than the common ingredients. Ironhide? That gets thrown on the ground.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Somebody on this team has definitely played Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This video is pretty good

https://youtu.be/q6VltoTeCLk

The TLDR is wear PVP heavy armor for the massive damage reduction because the damage bonus for the lighter armors is broken.

Also this has been an issue for nearly 2 years that they still haven’t fixed.

The other take away is that quite a few of the weapon skills in the tree are also broken AF so be careful what you take. The example he uses is pretty lol tbh.

This game does have a lot of issues that surprisingly have been around for a long time.