Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

This video is pretty good

https://youtu.be/q6VltoTeCLk

The TLDR is wear PVP heavy armor for the massive damage reduction because the damage bonus for the lighter armors is broken.

Also this has been an issue for nearly 2 years that they still haven’t fixed.

The other take away is that quite a few of the weapon skills in the tree are also broken AF so be careful what you take. The example he uses is pretty lol tbh.

This game does have a lot of issues that surprisingly have been around for a long time.

If I understand correctly it's not that light dmg bonus is broken, it's just that it's additive - so it does basically nothing at high levels. At level 1 with no stats it's 20% increase - but after that it begins to lose it's benefits rapidly.

It absolutely shouldn't work the way it does - but that seems to be working as intended...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

If I understand correctly it's not that light dmg bonus is broken, it's just that it's additive - so it does basically nothing at high levels. At level 1 with no stats it's 20% increase - but after that it begins to lose it's benefits rapidly.

It absolutely shouldn't work the way it does - but that seems to be working as intended...

As a light armor wearer I’d call that broken AF.

:shrug:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

As a light armor wearer I’d call that broken AF.

:shrug:

Right - I'm saying it's faulty design rather than a bug that they can 'fix'.

It's a failure of balancing rather than coding.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Lawlicaust posted:

The game has issues that could be fixed easily in the short-term and ones that aren’t going to be fixed for a long time. Unfortunately, AGS is doing neither so who knows the future of this poo poo.

Short-term things they could do with minimal effort:
-Reduce Repair costs + increase gold from salvage
-Reduce Azoth travel costs below 60. Put cap increase items back in
-Reduce Recall to 30 minutes
-Reduce xp required for logging levels 75+ by 25%
-Reduce lower tier material required for upper tier crafting

There’s a ton of long term fixes they really need to do but just fixing the above would greatly improve everyone’s experience. The biggest friction points common in almost everyone’s experience are money, material costs, logging experience, and travel. Fix nothing else but those immediately and everyone would at least think they are listening.

They aren’t going to do poo poo though. We’re a month out and haven’t heard any real state of the game or longterm plans.

This is a good post. I don’t mind a lot of the QoL features “missing” from WoW because I like older MMOs. These proposals are a nice middle ground.

So far I am enjoying the game still at 42, about 65 hours in. Some of the repetitiveness is setting in but I think the bones give it enormous potential. The biggest glaring thing to me is a direction at level cap. Maybe it’s already there as pvp and it’s just not my favorite direction for a game, but some endgame progression systems would add a lot.

I hope it’s something more creative than “dungeons and raids”. Raids are dumb and there are a lot of good games with good raids to choose from already. Solo/group content with leaderboards like greater rifts is something I’d love to see more in MMOs and I think this style of game would mesh with it really well.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I spoke with some people about the damage bonus and they say it ends up equalling around 8-15% instead of 20%.

I agree math in this game is weird.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
After playing STO for years I’m never surprised at MMO math anymore. Now when I see a number i just assume it’s a third of that.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Anita Dickinme posted:

After playing STO for years I’m never surprised at MMO math anymore. Now when I see a number i just assume it’s a third of that.

What are you talking about? Totally unrelated:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pussy Snorkel posted:

That item is the best because none of the tooltip is correct. Not the time, not the effect. loving phenomenal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Lawlicaust posted:

That item is the best because none of the tooltip is correct. Not the time, not the effect. loving phenomenal.

This issues with the game distilled down to their purest form.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Have they said anything about when transfers will be re-enabled? Maybe I’m missing some communication channel but they seem to be pretty quiet about a lot of the open issues.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Have they said anything about when transfers will be re-enabled? Maybe I’m missing some communication channel but they seem to be pretty quiet about a lot of the open issues.

its been a month and nothing is fixed or working lolol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BadLlama posted:

its been a month and nothing is fixed or working lolol
yeah i'm thinking about packing it in for now. or more correctly, at 160+ hours, the shine is off and there's so much that's broken, not yet implemented (or was then disabled), and unbalanced that i just don't feel like playing. if the economy weren't complete poo poo, things would be different

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I have a million different crafting mats in my storage & I have no idea what to do with them. I can't tell if they're worth anything (they're probably all worth poo poo) but I don't just want to throw them away because of the huge amount of stuff you need to level. WTF to do? As much as I like this game it seems like every feature was implemented in a bubble.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

a dingus posted:

I have a million different crafting mats in my storage & I have no idea what to do with them. I can't tell if they're worth anything (they're probably all worth poo poo) but I don't just want to throw them away because of the huge amount of stuff you need to level. WTF to do? As much as I like this game it seems like every feature was implemented in a bubble.

Sell all of them now. They will be worth more today than tomorrow, etc. Everything will be worthless soon the way the economy is.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

a dingus posted:

Process/use them as you collect them. Always turn the stuff into something before it hits storage, that will save some space. If you also “burn” the mats to level crafting as you get them will also help.

My previous method was to let storage fill all the way, then have “craftapalooza” to make room.

Craft as I horde seems to be where it’s at.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

a dingus posted:

First look at what you want to level, then look at a guide for how to do it efficiently and plan to hold those mats. You should be able to sell all the big piles of crap for decent money, like salt flux and saltpeter if you arent using those. Keep everything that is a pretty color like blue or purple in hope that the economy recovers, lol, lmao. Sell half the rest listed at the lowest price on your most popular market to make it move fast and half on a market that has inflated prices. It seems like you can buy most of the mats to get to 200 for just a few thousand if you shop around. 3 day sell orders to save money, if priced correctly it'll move fast

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

Sell all of them now. They will be worth more today than tomorrow, etc. Everything will be worthless soon the way the economy is.

Incorrect! If the game keeps hemorrhaging players at the rate of 100k per week, pretty soon they will be priceless because there will be no one left farming mats.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

im kinda interested in a former new world dev tell-all on twitter... i hope we get one eventually

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of blue. New prime gaming pack dropped. Robin hood outfit and 5x prime blue dyes.

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/newworld

Edit: wasn't there a tell all with crucible flop? I remember reading about how the guy in charge of ags simply figured they could makes games amazon style and win or something.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 26, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Speaking of blue. New prime gaming pack dropped. Robin hood outfit and 5x prime blue dyes.

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/newworld

I'm pretty sure this was originally supposed to come out Nov 9th but got bumped up, seems like they are trying to stop the bleeding

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm pretty sure this was originally supposed to come out Nov 9th but got bumped up, seems like they are trying to stop the bleeding

It was listed as oct 27th since the start. They had the first four packs listed in 2 week intervals.

Also, found that article, bloomberg though so you might be paywalled.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

It was listed as oct 27th since the start. They had the first four packs listed in 2 week intervals.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-01-29/amazon-game-studios-struggles-to-find-a-hit

Lmfao so the players are colonizers and the lost or zombies or whatever were supposed to be indigenous people before they changed it? Wow

bird. posted:

im kinda interested in a former new world dev tell-all on twitter... i hope we get one eventually

You should read this article for sure

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

kedo posted:

Incorrect! If the game keeps hemorrhaging players at the rate of 100k per week, pretty soon they will be priceless because there will be no one left farming mats.

Even so, no one will have any money to buy the mats and high level crafting is of questionable value outside of some specific pieces that you are going to farm for anyway.

It’s also like an arpg where 99.9% of the things you loot have no value. Except like PoE or similar you can’t even turn them into a currency.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

JuffoWup posted:

quote:

Then, according to numerous current and former employees of Frazzini’s game studios, he ignored much of their advice. He frequently told staff that every Amazon game needed to be a “billion-dollar franchise” and then understaffed the projects, they say.

lol

quote:

To develop games, Amazon tried to bend a creative and collaborative process to its will, and the results offer lessons to Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Google, whose efforts so far have been similarly ineffective. Successful video games are a combination of art, entertainment, technology and very large budgets. Big tech companies only really figured out the last two.
the bolded part though is so wrong as to be insulting. bloomberg charges money for this so-called journalism?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The guy who did a bunch of theorycrafting and combat system analysis started to post his first findings.

Part 1: Hidden Armor Scaling | Resistance Gems | Resilience | Faction vs Voidbent https://youtu.be/zH0_vyIUA2g

Part 2: Weapon Damage | Gem Scaling | Bugged Skills & Perks | "Grit" & CC https://youtu.be/Kjs9ydieg2g

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LTtr45y7P0&t=1228s

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

the panacea posted:

The guy who did a bunch of theorycrafting and combat system analysis started to post his first findings.

Part 1: Hidden Armor Scaling | Resistance Gems | Resilience | Faction vs Voidbent https://youtu.be/zH0_vyIUA2g

Part 2: Weapon Damage | Gem Scaling | Bugged Skills & Perks | "Grit" & CC https://youtu.be/Kjs9ydieg2g

Hilarious poo poo in every way. Everything is loving broken.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lmfao so the players are colonizers and the lost or zombies or whatever were supposed to be indigenous people before they changed it? Wow

You should read this article for sure

From my dim memory of ages past I think the earth elemental folks might have been the replacement for indigenous people. Or it was a different type of enemy altogether that only showed up in the later stages of the game.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Strength on light voidbent armor is lolol. We going full 2004 wow itemization here boys.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't buy get enough refinement agents to level up crafting anymore (140 furniture) and I can't sell anything for money because everything thrown on the marketplace is being sold for prices that are less than the mats. Cant get money from quests... And don't feel like hitting trees for countless hours to see charcoal for $0.20....so...guess that means I'm done and going back to writing music for now. Yay?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I honestly don't remember this game ever having natives in any capacity. The NPCs have always been skeletons and zombies. I don't know why people keep pushing this narrative.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

I honestly don't remember this game ever having natives in any capacity. The NPCs have always been skeletons and zombies. I don't know why people keep pushing this narrative.

quote:

Frazzini insisted Amazon build its own, which might have saved the company money if the software ever worked properly. Executives under Frazzini initially rejected charges that New World, an Amazon game that would ask players to colonize a mythical land and murder inhabitants who bear a striking resemblance to Native Americans, was racist. They relented after Amazon hired a tribal consultant who found that the portrayal was indeed offensive, say two people who worked on the project. The game, previously planned for release last year, is now scheduled for this spring.

Because it happened. The story was linked only a few posts above yours.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadget posted:

It's true these things didn't make it into the actual game, but were definitely the starting ideas that had to be corrected early in development because of the insane cringe. The splash screen text you see at the beginning of the game is basically admitting this happened. They hired sensitivity coaches or whatever term they used and those people said oh my God you must change this and they did.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GoGoGadget posted:

You tried arguing this three threads ago and go proven wrong then too. Why try again?

Yes, they didn’t end up putting natives in the versions that made it to alpha but it was part of the original premise and reveal trailer.

Edit: the exact same video I linked last time you did this:

https://youtu.be/CvPZOg6Zu-E

They are literally animating natives in the clips.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 27, 2021

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

You tried arguing this three threads ago and go proven wrong then too. Why try again?

Yes, they didn’t end up putting natives in the versions that made it to alpha but it was part of the original premise and reveal trailer.

Because I still haven't been proven wrong? People keep making up completely untrue poo poo like angry earth NPCs replacing natives.

It was never in the game but people still want to act like it was. That's just looking for things to be upset about in a game that already gives plenty of reasons.

Edit: the video you added shows nothing. You could make your character look like a native American in the alpha. The NPCs never were.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 27, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
By the 2019 alpha, there was no Native American imagery or content in the game. Multiple interviews since with staff revealed there previously was. Teasers from 2016 state there was. The early 2018 leak (now deleted for copyright) had some remnants of it and started the drama about it.

There’s ample evidence that they initially based this off colonial America then realized how terrible an idea that was and changed it. Original reveals even said it was colonial America near Bermuda. They then made it still colonial America but no natives. And then it was Aeternum. It’s as dumb to argue this today as it was 2 years ago.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yessssssss keep going

Give us the double meltdown we crave

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is GoGoGadgets thing, just being wrong at times and refusing any evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

patch notes wheeeeeennn

not even asking for a roadmap or coherent vision, just bugfixes