Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The latest news from the New World PTR forums is that there is now a daily limit on how much of the new PvP currency a player can earn. It seems like AGS is not learning any lessons from the past 6 months, as time-gating content only makes sense if you can count on your players to not abandon your game.

Although, maybe AGS has learned from their mistakes and the cap is just a reflection of how they assume there will be exploits that allow players to earn infinite PvP currency, and a daily cap is their attempt at minimizing the damage.

Digital Prophet posted:

Im truly shocked that 20,000+ people are still playing this.
There seems to be some kind of phenomenon where ~3% of players will just decide to pledge allegiance to a single game and never forsake it, regardless of how poorly received the game is or how closely the final game matches it's marketing. This seems to hold true for every MMO that continues to have players up until the day they pull the plug on the servers, but you can see the same pattern from failed games that aren't MMOs, with recent examples being Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite, Total War Warhammer 3, Dying Light 2, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.

And that's fine, video games are supposed to be a source of leisure and there's no reason to judge somebody based on how they choose to enjoy themselves. There's no reason to assume that the 3% number is tied to those people being 2 standard deviations below average in any way.

The only thing that does suck is thinking about how much of the game's weekly player count numbers are from people who are being recommended New World by Steam's algorithm and paying full price for it without knowing the history of the game or it's current trajectory. The game is #386 in Steam's Top Sellers list, so while it's not a large number of players, it's still a non-zero amount.

DancingShade posted:

Unrelated but has anyone seen the product page of upcoming mmo Archeage 2 I mean Archeworld?
KiraTV is YouTuber who does MMO reviews but has also started to focus on the recent glut of these NFT/MMO game-scams. He did a video a couple months ago about the latest iteration of Archeworld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLctis9fBo
If you find these kind of schemes fascinating, I recommend his channel as the past 6 months have provided tons of examples of this kind of nonsense. He's also done some good break downs on New World that provide good primers of the game from beta to release to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Inertia. Give it a couple months.

Unrelated but has anyone seen the product page of upcoming mmo Archeage 2 I mean Archeworld?

https://www.archeworld.com/

That's a lot of words to basically shout "scam run immediately".

When all the marketing and advertising is about how you pay for it and nothing about the product you’re allegedly paying for

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The addition of the daily PvP currency limit is getting a lot of pushback on the game's forums and reddit, but the more I think about it the more I realize it's probably the best decision AGS could make given the circumstances.

Without any form of matchmaking (either skill-based or even distinguishing between solo versus pre-made teams), the mode is destined to separate players into 2 groups: 3-stacks with best-in-slot meta builds and 98% win rates, and everybody else with single digit win percentages. Removing the loot incentive after 'X' number of wins each day is the simplest way to try to get those 98% win rate teams out of the game mode so that others can have a chance of winning, and might also help prevent burn-out from players who can't seem to get a win if they still achieve their daily currency limit after losing 10 games in a row.

It reminds me of the problem that Destiny 2 has had for several years now after they re-introduced Trials, a 3v3 PvP mode whose primary objective is to get 7 wins in a row without any form of matchmaking between teams. It turns out that's a deeply flawed foundation for a PvP game mode and leads to a terrible experience for most players, and that it's also difficult to implement a proper MMR system for such a mode because it's hard to assign individual ELO numbers to players when teamwork & team composition can be a heavy factor in winning/losing. Part of Bungie's slowly implemented solution to those problems was to implement a rudimentary MMR system that reset each week, so that there was effectively no MMR after reset, but over the course of each week the best teams would eventually only play against the other best teams, and worse players would play against other teams with low win-rates.

All that said, AGS has responded twice in the forums that they have heard the players' feedback and will pass it along, so there's a good chance that the Arena mode will get pushed to the live server with changes that were never tested on the PTR and are somehow worse than the daily limit that players are complaining about. This already happened with this week's PTR patch, which stealth-reverted a lot of the changes to the bow improvements they'd made over the past 3 weeks, leading to players saying that the bow on this week's version of the PTR manages to feel worse than it does in the live game.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What mmo should I be playing instead of this one and why?

I enjoy the mix of gathering, crafting, dungeon progression, open world pvp/dueling, war and politics. Loot.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
wrath classic is coming up later this year if you want to give money to a company worse than lowtax

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

DancingShade posted:

Inertia. Give it a couple months.

https://www.archeworld.com/

That's a lot of words to basically shout "scam run immediately".

:ughh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So many NFT MMORPGs in development right now, every single one of them is a scam.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

I enjoy the mix of gathering, crafting, dungeon progression, open world pvp/dueling, war and politics. Loot.
It's kind of hard to answer because modern games do everything they can to contain elements of all that stuff (to varying degrees of success). Borderlands 3 is free on the Epic Game Store right now and satisfies some of those criteria.

But really, you could get recommendations ranging from Satisfactory to Valheim to the Dynasty Warriors series. Scrolling down through the top 50 games on Steam, I think you'd find the majority of them could be valid candidates as they match your list at least as well as New World does.

Your post might actually be an insight into how New World got created. It could have started as a laundry list of high-level game features that managers wanted to be able to advertise that the game had, and that would explain why so many of the game's systems don't integrate well with each other and turn out to be pretty shallow upon closer inspection.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You should not be playing MMO's, ever.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Discospawn, your posts are more fun than any game I could buy from Amazon. PMs not working, what's your PayPal address or favorite charity?

cosmicjim posted:

Final Fantasy XIV. It has those things.

Like gathering nodes? How about a storyline and quests for your gathering class? How about a gathering dungeon?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 22, 2022

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJ_k75f_GQ

Welp! There it is.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Lol! I just finished watching it earlier. Great video.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Discospawn, your posts are more fun than any game I could buy from Amazon. PMs not working, what's your PayPal address or favorite charity?
Thanks, probably Doctors Without Borders. As a bonus, it'll be like a metaphor of rejecting New World's own broken territory control mechanics.

RagnarokZ posted:

Welp! There it is.

jiffynuts posted:

Lol! I just finished watching it earlier. Great video.
I was checking back in to make sure this got posted. All of the channel's videos are high quality, and much better produced than most of the schadenfreude-focused video game channels. I don't know that the video covers anything new that people in this thread don't know, but it's still funny just to rehash the game's history condensed into a 30 minute video.

I think I said this before last month's patch as well, but there's a general vibe of disgruntlement on the game's forums about the current PTR build, the hollow developer's vidoc, and just the game's progress in general. There's a lot of people threatening to quit if the PTR build gets pushed out to the live servers, and it feels like a lot of previously dedicated players are looking for an excuse to break through their sunken cost fallacy with the game. I guess I just want to reiterate how bad it looks for this month's patch, and how ridiculous it will be if AGS decides to release it within the next 10 days just so they can meet an internal deadline that says it has to be released before 11:59 PM on May 31.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wish I had time to watch this tonight so I’ll get around to it sometime tomorrow but gonna go ahead and put this in the OP in case any new goons decide to play this.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Discospawn posted:

Thanks, probably Doctors Without Borders. As a bonus, it'll be like a metaphor of rejecting New World's own broken territory control mechanics.

Oh that's some good commentary on post-colonialism. Done. Your posts here are so good they actually did something nice for the world. I probably woulda tried the game at some point otherwise too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

One of my favorite channels that I binge watch, forget about, a new mmo dies and I binge watch again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh geez I didn't realise the "world lead" worked on Defiance. Holy moly that explains so much. And the rest.

AGS wasn't the B team, they were the Z team. Almost no applicable experience and hey lets make an mmo.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Oh that's some good commentary on post-colonialism. Done. Your posts here are so good they actually did something nice for the world. I probably woulda tried the game at some point otherwise too.
Awesome! Makes me wish AGS would announce that 100% of the proceeds from selling Regional Transfer Tokens would go to a good cause (instead of the lost cause that is New World).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

There's another PTR update announced for later today, with release notes TBD. Presumably it's an update to fix all of the things they broke with the bow 4 days ago, but we'll have to wait and see.

It's only been 2 business days since the last PTR patch, so whatever the update is must just be a recompile with different development branches selected. That's... not the kind of mistake that should make it to the PTR.

It really feels like they're bypassing any form of internal QA, and generally lack healthy development processes internally. I can imagine them claiming that they use Agile Development, because in broad terms that usually means you have lots of relatively short, fixed-time development cycles with an emphasis on rapid prototyping and an aversion to formal team meetings. But like any development framework, these ideas can be bizarrely interpreted or rigidly implemented to the point that they actively hinder employees and turn the process' strengths into weaknesses. Those kinds of dysfunctions are what lead to symptoms like we've seen with New World, with a fixation on monthly patches at the expense of the quality of those patches, or the apparent lack of improvement in their development/release processes as we see the same weird problems pop up again and again.

Also, apparently the in game store reset today and instead of having new dyes or skins to buy that part of the cash store is just blank.

Edit: As soon as I posted they released the PTR notes for this update. It does not list any fixes for the bow, or make any references to the daily PvP currency limits, the patch is just supposed to fix the invisible walls in the new Arena mode and the issue with the PvP rewards not rolling with stats. If that's true, then it suggests that this isn't just a recompile but the result of actual code changes, which is a really fast turnaround (especially by AGS' standards).

Maybe the bow will also be fixed and they didn't bother to put that in the notes because they didn't intend to break the bow with last week's patch. Or maybe the patch notes will not reflect what the PTR build has in it. I guess we'll see (or rather, the 1 dozen players that use the PTR will see and report back).

Edit 2:

I think a dedicated group of people could hilariously gaslight AGS if they were committed to reporting strange bugs on their PTR forum. These posts make it apparent that the developers are relying solely on the handful of PTR players to provide critical testing/feedback about the game's base functionality.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 23, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

WE'LL DO IT LIVE
Well, they're doing it. The monthly patch including Arenas is going live tomorrow morning. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't wait another week, but I guess it wouldn't have mattered if nobody's using the PTR to test the current build for them. In addition to the new 3v3 PvP mode and a new PvP rewards system, the patch will bring with it lots of broad changes affecting stat bonuses, armor mechanics, weapon balancing, & stamina/dodge usage. As I've mentioned before, there didn't seem to be a consensus among PTR players about any of the changes, and I don't think the remaining New World community will be happy about AGS changing the foundations of the game, since the game's meta has largely revolved around learning how to make the most out of the game's broken/unbalanced systems.

I expect there to be game-breaking problems with Arenas, along with easy-to-duplicate exploits of the mode, that render the mode impossible to enjoy as the developers intended. I also expect there to be problems with the PvP reward track system, as it is unintuitive and each iteration of the PTR seemed to break important aspects of the system. The developers acknowledged that the PvP currency rewards become heavily throttled after 3 hours of PvP activities each day, and even if this works as intended I think most people will be unhappy with this.

There's also some weird stuff in the update, like the emphasis they've placed on creating a new Varangian Knights quest chain that's tuned for player levels 25-30. Their official Twitter account even tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1529130310977339392

I understand why they would want to add more low level content to the game in preparation for it's eventual console ports, but I don't know why they'd bother advertising it like this to PC players. Do they think some players just choose to play between levels 25-30 permanently? Like, do they think low, medium, and high level characters are the same as players with light, medium, and heavy armor? That sounds ridiculous, but when you watch that 'Death of New World' video and hear that decision-makers at AGS couldn't decipher between in-game versus cutscene footage/mechanics, I feel like it's not safe to assume any level of knowledge.

STREAMERS VERSUS DEVS (WITHOUT STREAMERS)
There was supposed to be a 3rd installment of Twitch streams where 3 content creators played the Arena mode against 3 of the game's developers on the PTR, but the 3rd week has always just listed 1 streamer, with the other 2 being TBD (the 1 streamer that was announced hasn't played New World on stream for at least 2 months).

The original announcement implied that these streams were all going to be on the PTR, which is why I was surprised to see Arenas launching on the live version of the game tomorrow (the game goes down for 2 hours of maintenance at 5:00 AM for the update, leaving a 3 hour grace period before the streams are supposed to start). I think there may be a disconnect between whoever organized this event and the rest of AGS, but we'll see if I'm wrong and it turns out to be a huge PR stunt with Shroud and another big streamer playing the game on the live server.

AWARDS SEASON
New World's Twitter account has announced another nomination for New World:
https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1529197048381177860

On the one hand, this is a legitimate award that you don't have to pay for to get nominated for (like the Webby award was), and it reinforces the notion that the biggest appeal of New World is the satisfaction of crafting/gathering/etc. because of the fidelity of the sounds and animations. On the other hand, the fact that the game only got nominated for 1 of the many categories shows the lack of depth of the sound design, as the game can't really boast of memorable music or voice acting or anything that would qualify them for nominations in the other categories.

The winner will be announced tonight, and funnily enough Unpacked is nominated in the same category(Unpacked won the 'Best User Interface' Webby that New World was also nominated for).

NEW WORLD DRAMA VIDEOS
Even though there's no goon-guild in New World anymore, here's a YouTube video of somebody being upset that 1 company controls their entire server along with YouTube comments trolling the video's author. I think it perfectly captures the mood of what a goon guild would try to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9RZtEFLu0Q

I found it funny because despite the guy trying to make a video calling out a rival company, it seems like it's just a list of poor design decisions that still exist in the game. He complains about the tax rates in territories, and it just reminded me that the game launched with tax rates that were 10 times higher than what they are now.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
The sound design in this game is one of the most memorable experiences I’ve had in any new game in years, it was that good to me. Shame about everything else but that piece was extremely immersive, not just for gathering.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m inclined to agree that “wow the sound design is really good” just kinda boils down to the gathering sounds - like aside from hitting rocks or trees, what sounds good? Spells and weapon sounds, music, ambient noise are all forgettable - they just really nailed the pickaxe echo.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I’m inclined to agree that “wow the sound design is really good” just kinda boils down to the gathering sounds - like aside from hitting rocks or trees, what sounds good? Spells and weapon sounds, music, ambient noise are all forgettable - they just really nailed the pickaxe echo.

Gun shots echoed around too. So the ambience of the trees being struck and falling, the pickaxe echo, and the musket shots. But yeah, that is still mainly the gathering side of things. Which for a game that started out as a survival mmo, it makes sense that is the part that got most fleshed out in sound compared to the other parts that moved around.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

They really nailed the proximity VOIP when it worked for a whole day.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

The sound is the most professional, complete part of the game for sure. I never had any complaints with it. hacking trees was super realistic and good.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
you'd get little thwips from arrows and bullets whizzing by you too, I jumped a little when snipers narrowly missed ambushing me a few times

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I tried watching the livestream of those awards, but it's 2 and a half hours in and it seems like they've only gotten through half a dozen categories. The stream isn't being saved as a VOD, and the channel has no prior broadcasts saved, so I can't even skip through the previous 2 hours to see if they're just doing the awards out of order. Some of the categories for these awards are pretty funny though, like:
-Best Game Trailer Audio (I feel like it's a bit of a stretch for the audio in a trailer to be considered 'game audio,' especially since the award implies that audio in a trailer is independent from the game's actual audio)
-Best UI Reward or Objective Sound Design
-Best Non-Humanoid Performance

Edit: drat, the stream ended, so I guess I missed whether Unpacked beat New World again or not. I'll have to wait until they update their web site.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 26, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Discospawn posted:

Edit: drat, the stream ended, so I guess I missed whether Unpacked beat New World again or not. I'll have to wait until they update their web site.

COD Vanguard beat them both, Unpacked was robbed

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

COD Vanguard beat them both, Unpacked was robbed
Ah, man, that sucks, especially since I watched that YouTube video showing how detailed the sound effects were for different objects/materials in Unpacked. Not only does Call of Duty not need any awards, but Vanguard was just such a terrible entry for the series I feel like it shouldn't be rewarded for anything just on principle along. I guess that's unfair to the actual developers of the game, so maybe it's fairer to say I'd rather the award go to a specific person rather than being attributed to the game itself.

On a more related topic, the New World patch is live and there are some issues. Along with expected problems like some perks no longer working properly, there are more glaring issues like:
-the game crashing if you try to check the scoreboard during an OPR match (and also giving you a 1 hour timeout for entering another OPR match since you left)
-very long load times after every Arena match, with a high % chance of a full on crash
-no azoth salt is awarded for losing an Arena match, but it seems to still count towards your playtime before your PvP Arena rewards are capped/throttled
-general lagginess and desync that's as bad as the game was several months ago
-players only receiving 1 of the 2 Twitch drops for watching 2+ hours of the Devs Vs. Streamers videos
-the dungeon they added mutations for isn't available to play this week on most (maybe all) servers

It's not surprising that OPR has an obvious problem, since there was no way to meaningfully test OPR on the PTR. I would expect issues with WARs too, for the same reason.

I'm sure we'll find more problems, but those are the ones from the first couple hours. The streamer I was watching to see all these firsthand (BagginsTV) is already talking about switching to another game because of the problems.

It should make it fun to watch the Dev vs Creators stream if it does, in fact, happen in a few hours.

Edit: So, initially the most efficient way to gain the new PvP-specific XP seems to be to go around claiming forts in open world, then letting enemies reclaim it, and repeating. Players are also reporting large groups of people running around doing PvP missions (while flagged for PvP), but not actually fighting with anybody because everybody understands that they're just trying to grind out XP. So that's not going to do much to change the game's reputation of not being much fun.

I've been a little surprised at how generally negative the reaction to the update has been so soon after the patch. I think it's a combination of pent up frustration along with a general recognition that the way the new PvP systems are implemented doesn't satisfy any category of players.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 26, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Double post, but another more meta problem for the game is becoming apparent today.

The recent server migrations have made it so the population bump from today's patch will create significant queue times for the biggest EU & US servers. The overall population increase in the game from today's isn't that big so far, it's currently only about 10% higher compared to yesterday's numbers. The problem is that many of the game's most dedicated players in each region have migrated together to form a few servers that were already at 85% capacity during peak hours, and the players who are returning for the patch are primarily players who used to be dedicated and were on those same high-population servers. The combination of players extending their normal gaming hours and the return of lapsed players means these mega servers are now seeing a > 25% increase in their population that the server can't handle.

As an example, the server Barri is currently at 1,970 players and still 3 hours away from it's peak population hour (when it maxed out at 1,850 players yesterday). It's a funny self-selection effect that is easily foreseeable once a dying game introduces server tokens for purchase, but one which AGS does not appear to have accounted for. The problem will likely become worse over the weekend, especially on Sunday which is always the busiest day of the week by a wide margin.

It's just a basic load-balancing problem that the game's server architecture can't handle, and an issue that prevents the game from having any kind of a resurgence until it's addressed. Based on the game's sales numbers and peak player counts, there has to be something like at least 20,000 player accounts tied to each of the remaining servers, which is not good for a game that doesn't provide any incentive to create multiple characters or start a new character from scratch.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 26, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Alright, last post for the afternoon, but as I expected there is no Streamers vs Devs stream happening. It was scheduled for 11:00 AM PST, and New World's Twitter account posted this at 11:17 AM:
https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1529889570715672577
There's no way to interpret this series of events that doesn't assume a significant level of incompetence. It's not like this event was a really big deal or important to the game's success, but it perfectly mirrors the game's issues with accountability, communication, logistics, etc.

The 1 streamer they had announced for today is online and streaming New World and is still asking people to watch him for 2 hours to get the free loot box in-game that was part of the promotion, but even that Twitch/New World integration is broken. Players are only getting 1 loot box in game even if they watched both of the previous streams, and Twitch isn't consistently giving progress to viewers as they watch today (it's supposed to slowly fill up a progress bar over the 2 hours of watching, and sometimes it resets back to 0% or just stops increasing for extended periods of time).

I mentioned in an earlier post that today's 1 announced streamer hadn't streamed the game in at least 2 months, and it seemed like he hadn't played the game in even longer than that since he had a gear skill of ~ 520, didn't have correct keybinds for his controller, and wasn't familiar with any of the new patch's mechanics that were available to test on the PTR. I'm not trying to talk poo poo about him as a New World player or streamer, it's just hilarious that he was the only person Amazon could find to agree to participate in the Devs vs Streamers promotion (the other 2 streamers for the 'rescheduled' 3rd battle are still TBD). Obviously, I am very suspicious about whether this 'rescheduled' June 1st event will ever happen.

On an unrelated note, here is what 1 of the game's new skins with this patch looks like:

New World does not allow you to dye/recolor any parts of skins, so those colors are load bearing.

Edit: There's a good number of threads like this after today's patch:

I don't mean threads about this specific topic, I mean threads where something pretty basic is broken despite not being something tied directly to the current patch update.

So far, this is the only official response to all the problems on the forum:

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 26, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

More Damage Reports
A new official post where they acknowledge they messed up the 2nd Twitch loot boxes and offer a weird half-solution, and also acknowledge that the daily cap on Arena rewards isn't something that players like:

The concession about Arena rewards being time-gated or throttled seems pretty disingenuous considering how quickly the player community rallied against it when it was pushed to the PTR. What's funny is that the developers had a Discord AMA a few days ago and they talked like the update would go live with the 3 hour throttle solution implemented instead of the system they were using on the PTR. This patch matched the PTR system, so I don't know if that means the patch was deployed in the wrong configuration, or if the developers are just that far removed from the live game's release cycle.

It's all kind of a moot point though, because it seems pretty obvious that anybody wanting to grind the PvP reward track can make use of fort trading or kill trading since those are much more efficient at gaining the new XP and currency.

Update On the EU Region's Server Populations
Barri reach a maximum queue size of at least 200 earlier today, with Dry Tree also having a queue for a while, though it never seemed to go into triple digits. There's no historical data for each server's queue so I don't know the actual highest number they reached.

Strangely, the region's peak player population actually stayed the same as yesterday, and if you look at each server's population numbers it seems like a lot of people decided to transfer from their old server to the 2 mega servers to make the most of the latest patch and it's focus on PvP. That's going to leave the region in a weird place; 80% of servers are going to be almost exclusively PvE-based, with low to medium population numbers that continue to dwindle, but you're going to have 3 servers with over half the region's active population and a completely different gameplay experience where PvP and company/faction membership are much more important.

We'll see if this same issue occurs tonight on the US East servers. There are currently no restrictions on server transfers, and yesterday Maramma reached 1900 players, so I'm predicting it'll be the same story as EU, just on a slightly smaller scale.

Another Weird Thing In New World
Apparently with this update, some of the existing skins in the game had their cosmetics changed updated. So far I've only heard of it affecting the cape portion of the set, but multiple sets were affected, and here's an example of a before & after comparison:

BEFORE

AFTER

So my assumption is there was always meant to be a cloth portion of the cape there, but I suppose it's also possible that somehow that's a default cape placeholder that got added to the piece my mistake. Some people thought the addition was an improvement, but that's kind of irrelevant to the problem that a paid cosmetic item changed after purchase. And like with the skin I posted above above, you can't dye that cape, so AGS is assuming that players don't mind their character now looking like a bright purple blob with weapons clipping through it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
These last couple weeks have been gold. :munch: So glad I quit playing.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

There doesn't seem to be any segment of the community that's happy with this patch (other than continuously optimistic streamers & content creators who have dedicated themselves to this game). There aren't any white knights in the forums or on Reddit anymore, and the general sentiment is the worst I've seen. I think I've made that last statement before, but I think it's always been accurate, it just reflects a continued worsening of the remaining players' sentiments.

One of my joys today has been looking at bug reports and coming across 'known problems' that sound pretty bad, but apparently have been in the game for a long time. My favorite thread today was this one:

"Hey, are you guys going to do something about the friends list? Like, how it doesn't provide useful information or allow me to manage it?" It's another example of parts of the game being implemented by an alien, because they did, in fact, allow players to create a list of people they have identified as a friend, but it doesn't sound like it's providing much value to the game.

To be fair, I know that Destiny 2 has had similar issues on PC since the game's launch with it's friends list and clan functionality, but at least Bungie has the excuse of managing a game across multiple platforms with different friends list frameworks.

Edit: Just found out that if you win an OPR match, you get 2,000 Azoth Salt (the new PvP currency), but if you lose you get 1. A single unit.

Somehow that's worse than 3v3 Arenas where the winners get 300 and the losers get nothing. At least then it seems like an intentional design decision to prevent people from afking in Arenas to get free currency.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 27, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

With everything that's gone wrong with today's patch, it's good to see that Amazon has it's priorities straight:

That's a 14 hour turnaround time for this fix. A fix before the change to remove the XP cap on Arena matches, or fixes for any of the fundamental problems that negatively affect players. Pushing the wrong letter on your keyboard will kick you out of the 45 minute PvP mode, but Amazon is having workers put in overtime to fix this. It's a good example of the kind of problem a PTR isn't good at identifying, because even if a player points out that it could be abused, it's technically not a bug and there's no reason for players to bring attention to oversights that improve their game experience.

It's all just a bad look, especially when the PvP reward system is so underwhelming that even with hyper efficient farming for PvP currency there's not much benefit to players. Then again, maybe that's why they're so eager to 'fix' the system, because they know that players will discover it's a bad system once they get far enough in the PvP tracks, so AGS is just trying to delay that realization for as long as possible.

As a follow up to earlier, there was a brief period on US East where Maramma had a small queue during primetime, but nothing as bad as the EU servers had, and the overall population numbers remained stagnant across the US regions. I'm still shocked at how little today's patch affected the net population of each region, and I have little faith that we'll see that change over the weekend.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

lol

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Holy gently caress, this is almost as bad as the one time Eve Online's patcher deleted boot.ini.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

:lol: thank you disco :lmao:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

downout posted:

:lol: thank you disco :lmao:

A true goon hero. After I eat lunch I’m thinking of just adding all his beautiful posts to the second OP post :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
If there are Razzie Awards for video games, New World would sweep the whole lot. I want someone to cast a cheap plaque that says "Most Overhyped Game of the Decade" and record themselves delivering it to the AGS studio.