Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rexicon1 posted:

Lol I’m sure that if it was a pvp game it would’ve been successful. Yes that was the issue lol.

Arguably, if they spent all, or even part of the last 18 months finishing and polishing their original PvP game instead of trying to turn it into something else at a core level, it would have FEWER, but still a lot of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

eonwe posted:

The very first alpha seemed actually promising and I think I dont buy the line that PvP isnt popular. Fortnite and MOBAs prove to me that people are into competition. Its just there truly hasnt been an MMO that created a stable PvP MMO that had anything to do aside from simply ganking people for no reason or gain

Fortnite and MOBAs work because matches are short and self-contained. When you get wrecked, it’s “I had a bad round. Bad loot luck. Tough lobby. Whatever”. Reset, move on.

If you’re constantly getting wrecked in your PvP MMO/persistent world game you have to have an internal reckoning of either “I am bad at this” or “My character is weak and I have 10s-100s of hours of this poo poo before I can fix that”, which is soul crushing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ad by Khad posted:

diablo 3 proved "damage to the brand" is well worth breaking sales records in the short-term. people are inexplicably fairly hype for diablo 4 and would be much more so if blizzard wasnt falling all over itself into all sorts of lawsuits and scandals.

Preface: I will not be buying Diablo 4 or any other ActiBlizz product ever again barring Kotick and the entire board being fired/resigning, unionization and a massive list of structural changes. So, never.

Outside of the first week of error 37 poo poo, Diablo 3 launched as “Very good gameplay drowning in horrible systems/decisions”.

They ended up reversing course on a ton of stuff, and post Reaper of Souls D3 got really, really good (if you like ARPGs).

The people that are hype about D4 are hype because they love what D3 ended up as and are hoping for more of the same but new and better. Current Blizzard is incapable of learning lessons from the past, or even making a great game at all, honestly, so that’s not going to happen. People being hype about it is not “inexplicable “ at all though. D3 is one of the great turnaround stories of all time, up there with NMS.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Anita Dickinme posted:

I agree. I actually just love the fact that the devs were challenged and they responded. I don't remember playing an MMO where the employees actually played their own game other than STO and the only one I know of was the community manager who also in turn hated my guts.

Sometime during TBC there was an entire 3v3 tournament setup on the Arena test realm of Blizzard Employees vs players. Kaplan’s team made it to the top of the employee rankings which was impressive, because there were some very hardcore dudes working for Blizz CS. My team was a glad, merciless glad, and me.

They then got absolutely stomped by the winning player team.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Turambar posted:

Yes, although I was probably one of the only members that has been online the last couple of weeks due to general disinterest in the game. But they should be used to that :)

Don't have any mods installed or done any suspicious trading. I'm really baffled

edit:

lol and lmao

From others in the industry, I have heard that another company operates on a process of “We won’t actually look into it until the second appeal. The bots won’t appeal because they know they’re guilty, and any legitimately innocent player will be so outraged that OF COURSE they’ll appeal more than once!”

Which is indeed mind-bogglingly stupid for a number of reasons, but… If you still care enough and you can, appeal again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For multiple WEEKS after launch, reaching the third phase of spell channeling for the Tempest of Set class would straight up crash the server for 15 minutes while it rebooted.

Not that anyone would do that on purpose, or hold servers hostage, demanding gold from other players to not purposefully crash the game.

AoC also had a jewel crafting system just like WoW, but on launch even having a gem socketed into an item would prevent your character from logging in. You had to ticket the GMs, which was a multiple day wait, and they would delete it for you. The item, not just the gem. Hope it wasn’t in your weapon!

People love to call launches “the worst launch ever”, but nothing has even come close to the absolute garbage fire that was AoC launch.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 11, 2022

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Discospawn posted:

The AoC Wikipedia page is sad, because the 'Release' section ends with a special promotion that was supposed to happen in 2013 but was delayed, suggesting that's the last time anybody's bothered to add real content about the game to the page. The rest of the page seems generically positive about everything, so I'm wondering if 2013 is when they fired the person responsible for managing the page.

Ooof. That is sad. I heard that it actually got kinda passable eventually, to the point that if you were just in love with the Conan setting, you could enjoy it.

To give some context to how bad the AoC launch was, if Star Citizen claimed it was a fully done game and launched TODAY in the state it is currently in, it would barely beat out how bad AoC launch was.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Digital Prophet posted:

The Hellgate London launch was so bad it not only killed the game, it killed the company AND coined a term used to describe poo poo products and broken promises that is still in use:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flagshipped

also, lets not forget Anarchy Online's historic launch, which you can read about on this very site if you unearth the review. im not going to link it since lowtax wrote it and gently caress lowtax.

Oh man, I had completely blocked Hellgate out of my mind. You are absolutely right, that was the worst. Hellgate was so broken it didn't feel like it was actually finished. Like, AoC felt like it was a finished game, but obscenely, unbelievably buggy. Hellgate was just, a disaster. Such a shame. It had so much potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

could you crouch or prone through people? I don't remember but thought there was a way around that.

You could turn on stealth, but basically nobody knew that for some reason.