Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Lawlicaust posted:

The game has issues that could be fixed easily in the short-term and ones that aren’t going to be fixed for a long time. Unfortunately, AGS is doing neither so who knows the future of this poo poo.

Short-term things they could do with minimal effort:
-Reduce Repair costs + increase gold from salvage
-Reduce Azoth travel costs below 60. Put cap increase items back in
-Reduce Recall to 30 minutes
-Reduce xp required for logging levels 75+ by 25%
-Reduce lower tier material required for upper tier crafting

There’s a ton of long term fixes they really need to do but just fixing the above would greatly improve everyone’s experience. The biggest friction points common in almost everyone’s experience are money, material costs, logging experience, and travel. Fix nothing else but those immediately and everyone would at least think they are listening.

They aren’t going to do poo poo though. We’re a month out and haven’t heard any real state of the game or longterm plans.

Things like logging and recall time aren’t broken, just inconvenient. Logging is really not that bad for a game like this.

What makes things like repair cost broken is it disincentivizes PvP. Azoth costs are a problem because it crushes the underpopulated factions too much.
Crafting is broken because higher skill more rare materials are worth less than the common ingredients. Ironhide? That gets thrown on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tempora Mutantur posted:

impossible, nothing AGS does indicates they are aware of any game having been released post-2000

they even hired Smedley because EQ is the last MMO ever released as far as anyone in their product team is concerned, given the final product

Somebody on this team has definitely played Destiny.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It should be easy to find at least the biggest offenders and take it back or ban them. It would be better for them to do nothing than to wipe servers.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I haven’t been able to confirm that “Life Crystal Core” actually drops in this game. It’s a crafting item I’ve never seen drop and have never seen on trading post and I’ve never seen items that need it on the trading post.
Googling has websites saying it drops from corruption stuff, but people are also saying it doesn’t drop.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Is there anyone here that really dominates in open world pvp through range and kiting? It looks like fire/ice and swapping in life staff as needed and running light armor would be pretty OP for open world kiting. Anyone have feedback on this? What potions and foods are necessary?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Does one or both of bow and rapier have abilities that give a net positive for speed like fire staff and great axe?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

A relatively quick and cheap way i've found to boost territory standing (and Arcana too, I guess) is to just go to an arcana shop with a poo poo load of hyssop and water and create a ton of small healing potions. You can trash them afterwards, but if you look around sometimes you can find hyssop for like .03 - .05 a piece on the market and then just go to the nearest river to collect a ton of free fresh water. You get 2 territory standing per potion, so if you can come up with 5k hyssop (250 gold at .05 a pop), you can get a pretty quick and cheap 10k territory standing.

I leveled arcana from 1-150 almost entirely with hyssop and water in windsward.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Do the crafting materials not dropping on live seem to be dropping on PTR yet?
Life crystal core, fire crystal core. Think there’s about 8-12 items.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

For pvp, how do you get the most damage out of fire staff? Spec 100% int and then what? Crit damage perks? Honing stone? Int food? Any other tips/items?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My very good friend slobbobbery hit 60 today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZGNqo0qbA

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I’m sure there are a lot of truly innocent people, but I haven’t seen anyone admit to buying gold. I bet some of these upset people don’t feel like they cheated by buying gold, but they also know not to say they bought gold.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

On my fairly populated server, there are maybe 5 prolific bots that have been running since around launch. Sure there are probably more that I have never seen but I've personally reported these 5 multiple times. It would take a competent support person maybe 30 minutes to investigate these bots and then ban them all.

AGS just doesn't care enough to devote an extremely small amount of resources to the problem.

I have a conspiracy theory they aren’t banning some bots until they figure out the gold seller mules.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I got one of the legendary crafting materials that previously wasn't dropping. I was so excited because these things are going to be worth a lot right now......
Except mine isn't tied to any recipes and still useless.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My server just jumped time.
I promise i have not played for 75 days.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

lol Sorting by time doesnt work because it sorts by alphabetical order.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm on the verge of quitting because of bots. Everything I do I have to compete with bots for the resources. I'm just going to put this out there. I'm bad at video games. I make up for it with effort. So it's pretty frustrating that I have to compete with the same bots week after week that steal my spots. I figured out how easy it was to farm rawhide from lvl 2 boars in windsward and a bot shows up and farms my spot for 3 weeks straight 24 hours a day and crashes the rawhide market.

I leveled arcana to 200 and make health potions for my company. When they created the alkahest potions that require hyssop they added stress to me, because now I have to compete with hyssop bots. I had a farming spot before bots started farming herbs, but a bot took my spot. So it makes me mad that I have to move because the bot has been farming my route for two weeks straight.

I'm not mad that bots exist. I'm mad that a bot can exist for multiple weeks that are clearly being reported because I've reported them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Yes bad inside joke meme

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Gypsum is a sulfate.
Sulfate = Self Hate
Self Hate is why we are still playing.

Cracked the code.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It’s one thing to honestly extract resources and sell them at auction without pouring pure gold into the economy, and another thing is to create a duplicate of gold.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

They realized they needed to become Destiny 2 for player retention. Jokes on them, I quit D2 because of pinnacle grinding.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I think new world blew up because they spent a duck ton of money paying A LOT of streamers off.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

New world launch had a hype train behind it that goes beyond what it offered. The most popular streamers of every genre were playing this game.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

When I played Dark Age of camelot, I enjoyed 3 things, but it absolutely made other people hate the game, but was relatively fair:
#1: Kill random noob zergs with a coordinated 8-man group. Killing 40-60 people with 1 group was very satisfying.
#2: Soloing or using small groups to hunt people with equal or larger numbers.
#3 Soloing noob zergs in battlegrounds. I'd be decked out, but it would be fair if it was 4+v1. I was an absolute bogeyman in Thidranki. Absolute pinnacle of my life as a gamer.

Stealth Zergs were the worst and made #2 a pain in the rear end sometimes.
Doing this in open world was great.

PUBG was actually the first game I played since DAOC that captured that for at least a little while.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

If you do have redtext, you'd probably just laugh it off like a dickbag.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

You can only craft one orb each for the 2 main dungeons a week. That's a problem along with the huge sink in materials to craft them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

150 stone cutting for Lazarus.

200 stonecutting to make runestone. Unless you completely craft the runestone from scratch, on my server it's cheaper to buy the runestones.
That's about 700g in runestone for genesis and 1400g for laz.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Oh and the guaranteed expertise increases can happen on a slot you can no longer get an increase, which means you can end up paying for a dungeon run and get.. Nothing.

I wouldn't say nothing. It's a chance to get a drop 590+ drop that might be sellable or useable. That's part of the point of running them at high expertise levels.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 28, 2021

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

But as I understand it, doesn't that reward the people who got their increases pre patch, and gently caress over people that just started?

I counted 7 expertise increases when I did genesis earlier this week. I don’t think doing the dungeons are worthless for any expertise level, but I do think orb requirements are still a little bonkers.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Were you in a company? A lvl 41 running around without a company this far into the game probably gets reported by people thinking you’re a bot.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I play purple on calgonor

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It feels like there's no reason for me to do anything in this game right now besides the dungeon mutations, and even then it only feels worth doing with the same group every time. I'm on a high pop server and the OPR queues are awful, too.

The server is also having frequent crazy lag spikes.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Discospawn posted:

My understanding is that the more recent Mutation dungeon is also significantly harder than the 1st one, and players are still hard-capped to 3 runs per week unless they purchase some kind of expensive resource from other players. Confirm/deny?

Funny story about the dungeon mutation. Different servers are doing different dungeons. My server first switched from Lazarus to Dynasty.
Dynasty is really hard because of huge spike damage throughout the dungeon, but it only lasted one day on my server and the mutation switched to the Genesis dungeon.

Also, we only got 3 mutation orbs in the first week. It's been 2 orbs per week after that.
The best way to maximize your orbs is to keep the same five people every time. This is splintering our company and creating a further divide between the haves and have-nots. 5 people = 10 runs between them. Some companies are taking advantage of lower gear score members and using their orbs for the early runs so they can save their orbs for the later runs that would be super expensive to buy. Depending on the mutation level, people are selling their orbs from 15-100k.

I've wasted 2 orbs. We got bronze on our first M1 Dynasty attempt because we didn't have a good strategy against the tiger bosses. We failed my second Dynasty attempt because the server froze and we wiped when we all got kicked to server login.
Some people got orbs returned to them. I am not among the people that got orbs back.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2022

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I was in a company on Calnogor that was full. As a whole we were bad at war and had not won a territory. Some major companies left and we were going to stay so we were given 2 territories.

We did this by having someone leave the company and join a leaving company and was made governor and changed the name to a variation of our company name.

We declared war on a 3rd territory at the same time.

Calgonor’s population cratered so we decided to move to castle of steel.
The guy that was placeholding suddenly thinks he’s important and didn’t transfer to rule over a dead server to own 3 territories. They won the 3rd territory because only handful of people defended.

Now castle of Steel is locked. If Calnogor does get merged he’ll pocket 50k for each territory he has. His wife stayed as well so I’m assuming she might be governor of one of the territories. Calognor is peaking at just over 100 people now. The server can’t even support full wars now. All the settlements will probably get wrecked by invasions.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone pushing 100% influence with faction quests by themself has a miserable life.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

One of the major points of the newest patch was a reduction on cooldown timers for mutation orbs to 3 days from 7 days.
That has to be easy right? The cooldown is still 7 days.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Zil posted:

Could they have just forgotten to change the tooltip text? Like the ability is actually on a 3 day timer it just only displays that its still 7. A common problem in other MMOs I know.

I bought an orb and crafted an orb and both timers are counting down from 7 days. That will be pretty janky if it resets at the correct time with 4 days left on the visual counter. This patch was on the test server for nearly a month.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Duping is back. Trading post disabled temprarily

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Some of y’all have never played open world pvp with swimming and it shows. The pvp is better for not having another mechanic that always gets abused in pvp.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

You can tell the world was designed with water as barriers…..

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

kedo posted:

So we've got this game engine that doesn't allow swimming, but let's set the game on an island. Surrounded by water.

Did you want to swim to another game world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I still play this game, though I'm on the verge of burnout and don't play it as fanatically.