Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nominating this post from the previous thread for the thread title

cerebral posted:

It always sucked, but dammit, I was having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ruggan posted:

You could probably get paid for 6 months tops. Then say hello to layoffs!

wow, 6 months of pay AND you get to put this game on your resume, what a deal

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

amazon is a very exploitative company but somehow i don't think that a job where you come out the end of 4 years with half a million dollars is exploiting anybody no matter how complicated the compensation terms are

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Labor, even well paid labor, is always exploited by capital.

yeah of course

what i mean is that amazon dev who gets $560k in 4 years rates perhaps a 2 or 3 out of 10 on the exploitation scale, while amazon warehouse worker is sitting near a solid 7 or 8

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Most people dont understand this is done with an extremely sensitive physical dial irl, a very fine touch is required

finally a job for the marvel heroes switch flipper. glad to see such a prominent figure in the industry getting work again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what else could happen in a game by jeff bezos?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Seems like it shouldn't be so hard to get 3 gamedevs to play their own game for 2 hours per week

guessing their manager wouldn't let them because it would be a waste of time to actually play the game, whereas the community reps are seen as fundamentally unimportant anyway so nbd if they "waste" an afternoon every week

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

:rubby:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just wait, new world will eventually have a bug where all of the apes are gone

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, pretty much all video games have those sort of clipping issues, especially MMORPGs. The resources, and processing power to get around that is massive and something that is not really possible with real time rendering game engines. The only real solution is to just not offer cosmetics that would create issues like that.

yeah sure, it's totally impossible to prevent capes from going thru your dude's torso and no game has ever figured out how not to do that, it's beyond known science

more seriously, could you explain why clipping is a persistent MMO problem? i understood it in WoW because there are so many different body types you can play; inevitably trolls, dwarves, etc. are going to fall through the cracks to some extent. but everybody in new world is human right? you wouldn't have to devote tons of resources to z-layering calculation or collision or w/e, just design the animations and models of the cosmetics so that they don't overlap with human body parts. i guess if they're just plugging textures into a cloth physics model that they don't understand then this might happen.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it seems like that would be a reasonably sensible change if the game actually had the population that it started with, made up mostly of casuals with a small playerbase of hardcores that were gaining an excessive advantage over everyone else. but the casuals are gone, only the true pain pigs are left

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

blizz didn't invent Soon(TM), that was city of heroes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Discospawn posted:

As a reminder, last night's patch was supposed to 'fix' 2 of the cash shop items that were changed or broken with the Arena update, so it looks like AGS touching the code somehow made the problem much worse for a little bit. I'm sure some players still used the problem as the final straw to make them quit the game, as it was a good experiment to demonstrate why the sunk-cost fallacy is a trap when it involves digital goods that could disappear at any time.

what do you think the odds are that they didn't even manage to track down the bug, but just reverted the 'fix'

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Even if they turned it aroused

well, this might be one way to get players back

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lmao that every single bot logged back onto last ark and possibly even more than before, if you assume some % of the real playerbase quit in disgust after seeing the numbers

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

:rubby:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

What happens when they find the arks

all of the bots disappear forever

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Discospawn posted:

Besides, with AGS' problem with bots in Lost Ark, making the game Free to Play seems like you'd wind up with something even worse than 'Dead' servers with no players; you'd get 'Undead' servers with a handful of players and 1,900 bots.

which is exactly why they'll do this at some point. juice up the metrics for a few more months so that everyone can keep getting paid while the game shambles along

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DaitoX posted:

Did they actually fix the server crash when using groupfinder on PTR btw? Or did it just not occur anymore because no one was trying?

we'll find out

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pandaal posted:

I’m legitimately concerned about the dude who obsessively combs the forums and social media for any minute bug report/complaint about a video game they clearly have a big problem with and does obsessive daily write-ups about it.

It used to just irritate me that I can’t come to the game thread and just talk about the game because people probably come here, see this maniacal posting, and bounce. But now I’m honestly curious, what motivates a person to do this every day?

it's funny. not like anybody is hate-posting itt, it's just hilarious to watch the trainwreck

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Discospawn posted:

I don't know how they expect to fix an issue like that without a PTR to utilize; it feels like they're forced to either work through the problem on the Live server or hold off on releasing it until they can go through another cycle of PTR testing.

they have an internal test server and are just using their infinite access to amazon resources to spin up 1000 VMs with a "behave like a player activating group finder" macro attached so they can test the stability of x number of people all hitting the group finder button simultaneously

is what i would say if i had any faith they could even manage to use amazon's internal resources with any level of competence

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

I love how Disco comes and lays out a broad objective overview of how hosed up every single part of the development and server health is and of course still you have people, who I assume are developers on the game, come in and go “nah dude y’all just haters!”

Fuckin lol. I love New World

but don't you know? this thread will never be a constructive place for an accurate read on the experience of playing new world!!!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

incredible that the server company can't increase server capacity by 10% without dramatically impacting performance

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

this must be the only game where 75% of premium skins cater to the clown aesthetic

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I mean yeah, making the questing experience better is welcome but the level 1-25 experience wasn't the real lovely part of the game.

mmo manager brain leads games to just revamp the new player experience over and over because they always think that onboarding new players is the part of the experience that's failing rather than everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the final lol and lmao