Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Google Butt posted:

just wanted to lmao for a second that there's no roadmap lol rip

I legit enjoy the game a lot, and while I have serious doubts about the game's longevity insofar as the decision making/speed of changes necessary to make this thing last more than a year, they clearly made enough of a bankroll off sales that this game probably isn't going anywhere

that said fuckin LOL at the amount of undocumented/wrong/broken poo poo in this game, and that's just talking about the tooltips, not even stuff like block-climbing inclines (i.e. certain areas can be climbed if you hold block then jump up it rapidly) or how outpost rush -- which is desperately needed for gold income + general content + a way for pvpers who aren't already in regular war rosters to actually see endgame pvp -- has been disabled TWICE.

also outpost rush is really fun if you already like the game's pvp AND gatherers can actually get really good gathering XP inside it/gatherers play a big role in upgrading stuff during the matches

MarcusSA posted:

It’s weird that some(any?) animations don’t have any iframes.

what do you mean?? all dodges (shift by default) have iframes no matter what for heavy/med/light; I've been in full heavy since like day 2 and I iframe the poo poo out of stuff, like you can literally dodge-tank boss fights and projectiles and stuff. The active skill Evade under Rapier also gives a smaller iframe but I think that's about it; there's grit and stagger interactions for many abilities too but generally speaking animations that aren't gritted can absolutely be interrupted to allow for some counterplay. overall, while I miss stagger A LOT, the combat is pretty fun if not like a very slow fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Great Cleave pvp missions are great because they take at most 5 minutes per loop for 2k tokens, like if you did it fast enough you'll have to wait 30 seconds for new missions on the faction board

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

This is purely speculation, but maybe they're looking at the success of things like people moving from RS3 to Old School RS, which is basically just RS3 without any QoL improvements making the grind harder. I've never understood it either, but people that play it say they get satisfaction from Number Go Up in settings like that

impossible, nothing AGS does indicates they are aware of any game having been released post-2000

they even hired Smedley because EQ is the last MMO ever released as far as anyone in their product team is concerned, given the final product

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

patch notes wheeeeeennn

not even asking for a roadmap or coherent vision, just bugfixes

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress Man posted:

third dungeon was going pretty well, but then we got to commander thorpe and got our asses rolled

everything in the PVE fights can be dodged if everyone knows all the animations, which is kind of novel

i.e. the thorpe fight looks wacky in phase II but is basically "dodge and kill his adds when they spawn, and keep dodging his attacks/lasers"

and turns out that exact strategy is the basis of every boss fight + whatever wacky poo poo they add on top of it (like having to hide behind things bosses spawn, for example)

their dungeons don't suck, but their approach to tuning orbs certainly loving does

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Dodging is cool and fun until they gave enemies a gun.

gunshots and arrows can also be dodged as enemies have consistent shooting animations/timings

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

AGS is a dead studio lol

:hmmyes: :lmao:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's good that the simulation is server-side and that Amazon is a competent company with Best Practices for continuous integration/continuous delivery (i.e. the ability to drop a patch in the middle of the day with no serious interruption to users) so that they could fix things like hatchet exploits quickly and easily

man could you imagine if they didn't know how their own applications and tooling worked? wow it would be so embarrassing for the management there to be outed as complete amateurs who have no business being in charge of any type of complicated infrastructure

ah well good thing capitalism is all about accountability, this'll get sorted out right quick

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

if AGS actually permabans violators early Blizz banwave style, I'd be hopeful

for now though, i'm enjoying this brokeass game with the cool people I've met through our shared delusion that NW will be a good game one day

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so I was gone for like 10 days and missed all the crazyness, but logged in last night and did some missions and holy poo poo, they got rid of stagger for players? it was so maddening trying to kill poo poo. I just dinged 40 and not sure how much more I'll keep going.

Player stagger on light/heavy attacks was removed pre release

also use great axe / Warhammer / heavy armor / 100 con rest in str and you'll solo all content till 60 and can then powerlevel any weapon because once you ding 60 all mobs become worth full weapon XP value (e.g. a level 10 mob goes from 2 wep XP at 59 to it's full 15 wep XP or whatever at 60)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

wait how is ranged good again or do you just mean the unfucking of magic so it's no longer useless after they broke it in 1.04

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 4, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

latest patch lookin pretty decent, just enough to warrant more hopes raised for the smashin'

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

Which is better, musket or bow?

I'm level 20 and trying to decide which to use while leveling up.

Bow is overall more damage in all circumstances (PvE and pvp) but has a much higher player skill requirement and ceiling

musket is king of (counter)siege in that if you see it you can hit it and so offensive wars benefit from 3-5 maxed out musketeers blowing up defensive siege

musket is easier to hit with overall than bow but costs a lot of damage as a result (you also have to stop moving through the full 2s reload animation which suuuuuucks while you can dodge between shots with a bow and still kite)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

steam is dead, third highest current players in game on steam DEFINITELY dead

e: to be clear: notwithstanding lol and lmao

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 15, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there any skill or ability in NW kinda like a classic “rogue” from D&D or even WoW/EQ? Like a “stealth” or separate “sneak” and “hide” where you can (within reason) invis off a path to go pee without having to sign off beforehand? I want to get this game if it lasts a few months and improves on some issues (like many MMOs need) but I’ve always mained rogues even in TT and I do like DPS classes anyway. I am hoping to branch out as an Evasion/Dodge Tank in Ashes of Creation if that comes out someday, but NW’s armor woes are out of whack right now (heavy/light armor bugs).

as far as going invis off a path to pee, sort of; go prone (z by default) into some bushes that physically hide you. being prone greatly reduces the range that your nametag will show up to other players for pvp; for pve, just climb up onto something that requires climbing, *then* go prone; mobs (even ranged) will ignore you once you get a feel for how easy this is to do (pretty much anything you can climb up to you can do this with)

as far as rogue gameplay in general as a focus on finesse/timing, sort of; if you're melee, you always get a critical if you're in the rear 180 degrees of the target's facing (i.e. you 'backstab' but it's just a guaranteed crit that follows your crit damage stats); if you go dex** and wear medium or light armor with a rapier, spear, or really any melee you can dodge behind targets and whip around to hit them in their rear arc for a backstab; if you get Real Fuckin Scary Good at this, you can dance around people and backstab nonstop, becoming a monster who can slip into a backline and kill a ranged DPS real quick

** dex is for extra dodges which is useful if you're going medium or light and still meleeing but otherwise you can totally play str melee and backstab, just gotta be even better at dodging. also you will die going light armor in brawly melee until/unless you become extremely fuckin good at playing melee light, quite the catch 22 but dex gives you a little more cushion around dodging insofar as letting you keep stamina after two dodges by reducing dodge cost by 10 stam, so you can dodge twice in light and still have stamina which is critical because the #1 Get You Killed thing in NW pvp is running out of stamina; with no stamina, you run slower and you CANNOT dodge at all until your stamina refills COMPLETELY, and because you can't dodge, your movements are much more predictable even when there's massive lag in a big battle; dex also gets a bow which combined with the rapier or spear is like the highest skill ceiling combo that can, played perfectly, slaughter everything else (except a dude with a tower shield, they'll gently caress you up real easy unless you're already a god with backstabbing and even then, dicey cause of shield bash)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Vorenus posted:

Imagine having your owned territory thrown into conflict by bots, but the bots ran so many PvP quests that no legitimate companies can declare.

...I wonder why they'd even bot that, for runes I guess?? Not much else of value you can buy with tokens that isn't BoP

Unless the controlling company/faction is botting to stop wardecs which sounds super sad considering defender's huge advantages right now

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

causticBeet posted:

Aren’t these almost always a lovely return? Every time I’ve looked at using them the taxes for the crafting action have been higher than the cost to just buy a bunch of the refining mats.

yeah the material converters have an insanely high base tax rate that makes using them a pretty high net loss vs just selling the reagents raw and buying what you need

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Zotix posted:

Once Outpost rush came out that killed open world PvP.

let's be fair; open world pvp was dead before OPR on most servers

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I do think it's hilarious that AGS looked at their track record, and decided "yeah... MMO + moba... this is the way"

for real though, I like it. I legit enjoy outpost rush and I hope they make the OPR queue at least worldset-wide if not region-wide so that we can get some games, and premade 20v20 ranked league

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

man I spent entirely too much time on this Extremely Bad Game, I even got War Wise (25 war wins) and some of the other warfighters in my company are close to the 50 wins title

LuckyCat posted:

Is it still the case that heavy armor is literally the only armor that makes sense for 100% of builds?

pve-wise, wear whatever feels good for you and lets you cruise through pve content.

openworld-pvp-wise, if you don't care then wear whatever; light is actually useful in openworld because you can actually run away from targets and it doesn't matter because you have no objective (other than staying alive/killing people)

pvp-war-and-OPR-wise, the tldr of the wall of text below is: you can't really can wear light armor in actual combat unless you're already extremely skilled and can leverage the (currently 8% and in theory post-PTR-patch 20%) damage boost light armor gives you over heavy (or 10% for medium) considering that heavy armor also makes the target FAR more tanky than just taking 20% less damage. if i had to ballpark it you easily take like 40% less damage in heavy than light assuming 50/50 phys/ele armor pieces (every piece can be balanced, favor phys resist, or favor ele resist) and more or less depending on the incoming damage type and your phys/ele balance, con, health perks, DR perks/gems, etc. yeah some of that applies to light armor too, but the baseline protection of heavy amplifies the effective HP gains they all provide by a lot.

so! why do I say that? well:

- light armor means you aren't scrapping on a point, at least not against even half-competent enemies. maybe you're a healer who is physically on point, but not likely because the moment you're called out by enemy shotcallers, you're vaporized; can't roll while chain staggered/knocked down/stunned, and healers are #1 priorities, followed by any squishies who decided to get too close (i.e. light armor users/anyone carrying a staff since some skins make light armor look heavy or vice versa and the staff-in-hand is the only tell). you *will not* outheal 2-3 people beating on you while you're in light armor and chain disabled. poo poo, 2 people can kill a heavy armor healer if they're coordinated, so think about that.

- light armor off-point means you're already murdering people from afar because you already have incredible bow/firestaff/ice aim (muskets are OK but you aren't killing a competent healer with 1 musket, you need at least 2-3 who can snipe headshots reliably which honestly isn't that hard) so you're never in range anyway because you're already so talented at ranged DPS you *are* the glass cannon, and you already have the (player) skills to kite melee instead of getting pasted by a single dude with a great axe (this is the bar for "are you as good as you think you are" because ranged DPS played perfectly absolutely shits on non-shield melee, but like 95% of players cannot play ranged even remotely not-terribly in pvp)

- light armor is actually not great for siege team members either because enemy countersiege muskets/bows gently caress you up in the turret so you die/have to get out and heal yourself since you have paper armor

- light armor in melee off-point means you're already godly at light armor melee so you can actually scrap 1v1/1vX and operate independently instead of just whining that great axe hits too hard (it doesn't)

medium armor is decent even in those scenarios because you get better baseline protection and extra dodges; medium is the only equip load with a base 40 stam cost for dodge (light and heavy are both 50 stam, dex reduces all dodge costs by 10 stam with a perk) and all dodges have the same iframes (you just get max distance in light dodge roll, half distance in medium dodge hop, and quarter distance in heavy dodge step; same invuln period for all of them though)

heavy armor is the current standard for any serious fighting, especially point fighting, because you *will* be in the killzone of like 5+ melee DPS who, if their coordination isn't poo poo, will eventually all simultaneously target and kill you (if you weren't already in light armor and slaughtered because you got caught in the edge of a gravwell/shockwave/path combo while they were killing someone else) so in heavy armor, even if you don't properly dodge or block (or because there's just so much happening you cannot do that against all angles) you can still recover and kill your target/stay on point/disengage/whatever.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

there are healers who try to help pointcap in a war and they probably should be in heavy, but offpoint healers (most of ours) or OPR in general I'd definitely suggest light instead

this actually blows my mind because we ended up saying "all healers in (defensive) wars are heavy now" because competent ranged DPS explodes light armor healers, but light/medium healers will probably be more common post-PTR patch anyway

extremely curious to see how things go post-PTR since the heals are gonna be weaker than ever from heavy healers (in theory as weak as the release patch notes *said* they would be, just ~2 months later than announced heh)

gonna be a real interesting game with mostly light armor healers anyway if that's what it takes for decent heals; I think/hope the shorter time to kill will ultimately be better, giving faster games/bigger chances for clutch plays to have an impact

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I'm extremely eager to see if this actually boosts rapier performance and whether or not they still didn't fix "lol you can just block and not get stunned by riposte"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Blocking cancels out of the stun? Or you mean that you animation cancel whatever you were doing as soon as you see the riposte so you don’t trigger it?

Blocking cancels (blocks) the stun, or at least used to, been playing less lately

Like eat the riposte -> block (cause honestly holding block nonstop in melee actually reduces your time in pointless anims anyway) -> you aren't stunned, the rapier guy still gets riposte triggered benefits

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

industry leaders

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I assumed they nuked the harvesting gear not due to duping but due to some other accidental fuckup on AGS's side, because lol if people *specifically* duped harvester's gear and sold that far and wide but not like, miner's gear or lumberjack or a bunch of voidbent ingots

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

this dumb poo poo only makes sense if they make tuning orbs way easier to come by and or finally make dungeons free to enter and tuning orbs required for the best loot

I would not mind grinding watermark if I could do it in dungeons but as things stand if I can't get an OPR match I'm not really thrilled about playing at all

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the funniest part to me is that even though I consciously understand there is no meaningful difference between 520 faction gear and perfectly-perked GS600 armor drops (named GS600 BiS drops like Fury notwithstanding) I'm still like, "man gently caress this watermark grind change. if they can't get the server merges working so I can play outpost rush again what's the point" so I get why a lot of people hate that change too even though it doesn't actually matter

at first I thought it really was like a Skyrim-experience with optional pvp but in reality the gathering sucks poo poo now and forever: you can't actually gather anything that matters without doing Last Oasis style timing nodes for respawns and hoping that no one else shows up; unlike last oasis quality node hunting, you can't actually kill the people you're competing with for farming since 90% of the playerbase is pure pve, maybe the luck-on-flag changes fix that.

so if you want any serious amount of starmetal, or enough ori nodes to get the ori raredrops, or enough wirefiber to finish your weaving grind, or pretty much anything T4+, gooooood fuckin luck finding enough nodes that aren't already gathered (and I say this on a dead-rear end server where I'm pretty sure I'm mostly competing with my own company so I can only imagine what it's like on the med/high pop servers)

post-merge if I can't get into outpost rush within 5-10 minutes of logging in during primetime I'm probably just going to take a longass break unless my company does like, daily wars again like the first few weeks of release, which I also can't imagine since the only thing worse than the watermark grind is the pvp faction influence grind to kick off a war, but at least in theory you can take 50-60 people and can grind that poo poo out in 90 minutes if the defending faction just rolls over.

otherwise guess I'm waiting for the next expansion or something because the pvp is the only thing worthwhile to do in this game and there just isn't enough people willing to put up with the many many hurdles in front of it, understandably so

...or maybe I finally max fishing and then take a break, whatever

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

It's a shame cause there was almost a great game here

Was new world always worked on by an inhouse AGS team or was it an external team project that AGS bought and absorbed? Cause wasn't crucible technically not AGS but then AGS bought them?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Schubalts posted:

What the gently caress? This, an mmo released in 2021, does not have swimming???

they literally did not have dueling or trading until mid 2020

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

"we regret to inform you that our fix has actually caused all servers to move ahead 60 days; additionally, we accidentally left in some undocumented changes that removes any gear with the Resilience perk. we are sorry for these setbacks but know how much you all love grinding so we're optimistic for the future health of the game."

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

the pvp is serviceable is why I still play; duels, wars, and outpost rush (and open world on the rare occasion I see a flagged enemy)

the only grind necessary for pvp is 100k faction tokens for a 520 armor set, now that you can buy weapons that compete with the 580 quest weapons on the cheap (and the grind to hit 60 I guess so, like, that still sucks poo poo, true, I am speaking from the standpoint of someone who already did this)

I personally don't know another non dead lower grind game with comparable combat that's worth playing

last oasis community servers (eclipsed oasis in particular) comes to mind, but that poo poo is 1) seasonal so wipes and 2) a different game that had tons of promise and good will squandered by incompetent product management and staggeringly hilarious self inflicted technical failure (total outage for a week after their release)

I could be wrong but new world has to be far and away the highest population of players for the whole last oasis/mount n blade/chivalry mass-pvp-melee games

Like I *could* be playing dark souls instead, true, but the population outside of dueling isn't there

lotta words to say my brain's broken so I like melee pvp video games and that's about the only thing new world does right, *when* you can regularly get fights long enough to practice and or enough people to duel and group duel with to practice

god fuckin help you if you get enough broke brains together with the perseverance to learn how to win an offensive war

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 27, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Imo that's where they hosed up: not treating below 60 poo poo as the pointless distraction that it is

Alts don't matter for the economy because even at 60 to make an optimal suit for a different spec you gotta sink time/mats just like a full alt, but without the time investment of having to grind up an alt to try it, so they did a good thing there with making a single character capable of any role but only one role at a time. If they changed that to require alts, I'd have fuckin quit a long time ago. there's too much character specific poo poo (territory standing for instance,or craft skills) that I never want to regrind just to confirm "do bows suck unless you're very very good at using them as a player?"

(They also hosed that up by not giving us armor outfit slots or AT LEAST automatic swapping between pvp and pve sets based on flag status, but New World is notorious for lacking features considered standard in MMOs ten years ago and is a whole nother line of how AGS hosed up)

Everything sub 60 tho, just a fuckin joke/trap, like those expensive sub 60 legendary items that are just wastes of mats. They add stuff that makes it seem like you should be slowly grinding to 60 over months, which is an idiotic and outdated gameplay model to begin with, but the reality is that the game only exists at max level unless you are purely playing a gathering game in which case the only thing new world offers over 7d2d or Minecraft is the persistence/lack of wipes (right up until NW servers get shut down permanently next year, heh) whereas everything else is better in a real PvE survival game (except the melee combat but then you have last oasis PvE servers for that crowd of fighting gatherers)

yes technically a skilled 40 can kill a 60, but they can't 1vX 60s and *the game does not have the pvp minded population to make that fact matter* and since pvpers are all about optimal plays anyway, they're OBVIOUSLY going to rush 60.

everything pre 60 is a waste of time in this game and if they splintered it through something like sub 60 outpost rushes, the only thing they do well (pvp at 60) would be even harder to experience

They should be reducing the 60 grind to what it used to be and treating the grind to 60 as a tutorial rather than a meaningful gameplay experience ***because it loving isn't*** since everything is aimed at balance at 60.

Even the quests and stuff at low levels have some degree of incentive at higher levels since you still have a reason to get low level mats (for now) so you can back at 60 to First Light or whatever lowbie zones you skipped and still get mats and some quest gold without purely grinding mats (or you can do that too whatever) so it's not like their low level stuff is actually pointless at 60, they just failed completely to explain that because they don't know what the gently caress kind of game they want to build yet, even two months post release.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Barreft posted:

who cares about them, the 1% are the best. thats why this game is booming

I mean they could alternatively add meaningful content for sub60 players and a reason for players who don't rush 60 to keep logging in, but that's like saying "they should simply make a good game that people can play how they want" which is obviously not in the cards any time soon/not remotely within the capacity of AGS

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

alright I mean, fair, having something to do while leveling would've been great and broken up the monotony a lot, could have it award XP too for an added venue to 60

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's kind of funny how silver, gold, and platinum are utterly worthless in this game (unrelated to botting, just due to game design)

the plat nodes themselves at least give lots of good gems with mining luck but the ore, garbage

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ah the trusty words of Financial_bathroom31

funny, that was originally AGS' studio name

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

BadLlama posted:

lets be clear, the only reason new world failed is because of pvp, there is no other reason for this perfect game to have failed

90+ percent of the new world forums cannot be wrong

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

honestly at this point i'd rather continue to not have The Expanse MMO than watch AGS create and beshit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Honestly there shouldn’t be any leveling since they got rid of scaling. Should just be weapon mastery in itself as progression.

too logical

Ort posted:

Sounds like they are adding M+ with difficulty ranging from 1-10 for expeditions. Despite the bugs and stuff this game adds content faster than most MMO launches I’ve seen in recent years, with pretty major updates every single month since release.

Lol one of the "major updates" was "we know everything is broken and not working but we added a bunch of dogshit you can buy in the cash shop!!"