Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
because being alive... is better than the alternative!

absolutely inspiring. bravo

Good ep! Though it was a bit weird when they spent the loop where Nick killed the Daleks just lounging in the lobby instead of just going to the door in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm beginning to wish the BBC called Nation's estate's bluff about the mandatory Dalek thing because they would very quickly find out that nobody gives a gently caress outside of Doctor Who.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was a good and fun Doctor Who.

Am I alone in thinking the Sea Devils from the preview of the next episode look cool and even kind of cute?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gschmidl posted:

I'm beginning to wish the BBC called Nation's estate's bluff about the mandatory Dalek thing because they would very quickly find out that nobody gives a gently caress outside of Doctor Who.

That was just a rumor, right? Series 10 didn't have any Daleks I'm pretty sure.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Rochallor posted:

That was just a rumor, right? Series 10 didn't have any Daleks I'm pretty sure.

They show up in "The Pilot" when they're trying to drag Puddle-Girl around. That said I think it's been confirmed it's not a real thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been stated repeatedly that there is no truth to it, but somehow a Dalek ALWAYS manages to appear in every single year that Doctor Who airs at least one episode, to the point that in Waters of Mars there's a flashback where one of the characters remembers seeing a Dalek come floating by her window when she was a little girl :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

That was a good and fun Doctor Who.

Am I alone in thinking the Sea Devils from the preview of the next episode look cool and even kind of cute?

I liked what I saw too!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It's been stated repeatedly that there is no truth to it, but somehow a Dalek ALWAYS manages to appear in every single year that Doctor Who airs at least one episode, to the point that in Waters of Mars there's a flashback where one of the characters remembers seeing a Dalek come floating by her window when she was a little girl :laugh:

Seeing 80 Days Around The World this week with Tennant and Duncan reminded me that that particular actor combo was nuclear hot awesome.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Shneak posted:

My expectations were low for the New Years special because I'm not a huge fan of Groundhog Day plots but that might just top The Haunting of Villa Diodati as my favourite Thirteen episode. Although if they were going to establish Yaz falling in love with the Doctor they should have done it earlier than the very end of the tenure. Turns out getting rid of two companions didn't do anything for her character development anyway.

"Companion falls in love with the Doctor" was a well-worn, played-out trope before RTD's first run on the show was even finished, so of course Chibnall's dredging it back up for Whittaker's final episodes :rolleyes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That was a fun special. I know people are justifiably annoyed with the "shipping" stuff, but I think it kinda works this time. I agree with Jeru that it's a way to do a coming out story for Yaz. The only thing that bothers me is more of a future specials thing, in that it feels like they're using it as a vehicle for Thirteen not to just have a conversation with Yaz about her past catching up to her, heating up for what Roger Ebert always called "the Idiot Plot," when conflict could have been avoided by characters having a simple conversation that they realistically would have had. Evading talking about her past is certainly in character for the Doctor, but it's hard to be sympathetic when she is putting someone she appears to have feelings for in danger because she's afraid of being vulnerable.

Jodie got to do an impassioned speech, but they also still let her have fun with lines like "Did you duck? Nice." The romance between the humans was cute, even though the dude definitely raises a ton of red flags, lol. I think this about as good as the Daleks get anymore; it's tough to mine them for scariness and having them literally kill the heroes over and over again, smugly, appearing to be one step ahead, makes them at least appear threatening. It helps to have them in small numbers instead of a huge fleet for once.

It's a shame that everything seems to be kind of clicking into place like two episodes before the show changes completely, but whatever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

I know people are justifiably annoyed with the "shipping" stuff, but I think it kinda works this time. I agree with Jeru that it's a way to do a coming out story for Yaz. The only thing that bothers me is more of a future specials thing, in that it feels like they're using it as a vehicle for Thirteen not to just have a conversation with Yaz about her past catching up to her, heating up for what Roger Ebert always called "the Idiot Plot," when conflict could have been avoided by characters having a simple conversation that they realistically would have had. Evading talking about her past is certainly in character for the Doctor, but it's hard to be sympathetic when she is putting someone she appears to have feelings for in danger because she's afraid of being vulnerable.

There's a bit of unshown unspoken space that's often in Doctor Who, that things probably happen between the episodes. That the Doctor and their companions maybe aren't directly going from one fire to the next as we see in the plots of episodes, there's less exciting things, maybe they did finally get to that beach planet and had a nice time, that one of them spent some time in a library in the Tardis, maybe they are in a Big Finish level adventure that doesn't really matter, things like that. I never really got that feeling with the Chibnal years. It's a constant jump between one hyper-emergency to the next. Of course Dan has to bring all these feelings up while they are fighting a urgent 2 minutes left countdown, none of these characters say anything to each other in their downtime.

Even the Tardis' internal design adds to that feeling with me. When Dan joins, he's told where to find his room, but with the current set design, I don't internally picture it. I don't imagine the characters even eating together on the Tardis. It's a cave without a single rock to sit on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah. I guess in this case, they have an argument for why the last season would lead directly into this special (which it seems to, mostly, with Dan saying that the Doctor saved the Universe "last week"), in that the event was so cataclysmic, they're still dealing with the consequences or whatever. But that they're living in Guts's Aggro Craig does make it look less homey and more like a single room, for sure.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I liked what I saw too!

Oops, I probably should have spoilered that I guess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AndyElusive posted:

Oops, I probably should have spoilered that I guess.

Nah, the BBC released the trailer. It wasn't like it was a leak.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I guess love is strange but it seems weird that Yaz has such strong feelings for the Doctor that she's had to admit to herself for the first time that she's attracted to women. They don't seem to have much of a relationship. I mean, the Doctor's not unpleasant towards her but she's not exactly nice to her either.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Paxman posted:

I guess love is strange but it seems weird that Yaz has such strong feelings for the Doctor that she's had to admit to herself for the first time that she's attracted to women. They don't seem to have much of a relationship. I mean, the Doctor's not unpleasant towards her but she's not exactly nice to her either.

I'm going to cynically assume it's so that Chibnall can check another box off his "Cultural Milestones What I Achieved On Doctor Who" list, while the British press trumpets loudly about "THE FIRST EVER LESBIAN KISS INSIDE THE TARDIS"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not even the first same-sex kiss in the TARDIS!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So

Doctor Who's coming to EVE Online

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Really enjoyed the special, Dan continues to be a highlight for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I.... what?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well I guess that's better than Fortnite?

...maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New thread for 2022