Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Picked up the Count of Monte Cristo at my local library last week. This book is a thousand loving pages and nobody in it talks like a real person but its p good still. The key is to skim over all the passages where random frenchman is struck by what great morals and skill and knowledge this Dantes guy has and how cool he is because boy there is a loving lot of them. Striking it rich and using the money to seek vengeance on your enemies is definitely a conceit I like a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

hell astro course posted:

funny to think about people waiting for the next part of the story to come out in whatever weird news paper things they were reading the stories in back then

Hmm what if I paid authors by the word. It should save on costs and I can’t imagine it having any negative consequences like some guy just handing me a painstaking 3 page list of every single thing a character has in their backpack as half of this weeks chapter

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Brother Tadger posted:

Gutenberg.org, OP.

Also, I started reading L Morte D Arthur (the old kind Arthur anthology or whatever) and those dudes get into some pretty homoerotic action. Ironically someone made a thread (I want to say pick) about it that was p hilarious and very timely w my own reading

The thousand nights and one night is also p cool if you like those old school stories where there’s a lot of weird history poo poo going on and scores of characters getting their heads lobbed off w a passing reference to god being almighty, etc

I can’t read novels on a screen. My eyes just slide right off. Luckily there’s a magical place my tax dollars already fund that lets me just take any novel i please. There’s a nice new one I went to today that has a coffee shop built in.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Elman posted:

It was like reading someone's blog about their Minecraft playthrough, with some racism thrown in.

I need to give that a try, I absolutely loved Crime & Punishment and War & Peace. Those people saying they couldn't get through Crime and Punishment are crazy, I burned through it in a week.

I remember hearing Russian literature has had some real serious issues with good translations like far more than most languages which are hit or miss with translations already but I don’t know anything about it beyond “the man in the pub”.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Moby dick like all timeless art has such staying power because it deals with the universal theme of how cool whales are.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Comedy usually ages like milk but I’ve seen twelfth night twice and both times it was absolutely hilarious. Especially the stocking scene. I almost died laughing when I saw the Importance of Being Earnest so it’s there too.

I would add anything by Nathaniel Hawthorne to throw it away tier.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Harry Potter is just a grab bag of random poo poo, no great central thesis, nothing about its narrative has any tangible core to it. It reads loose as gently caress and has none of the tight pacing and plotting that A Wrinkle in Time has or, if we're looking at Harry Potter's contemporaries, A Series of Unfortunate Events or Holes.

Holes is not old enough to be a classic but I’m glad you mentioned it because it rules

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Many good books mentioned already, and I literally just finished Moby Dick the other day. Is other Melville worth reading? My impression is Moby Dick is pretty different from his other stuff.

Do you like polynesians???????!?!?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Talkc posted:

Gotta go for Jules Verne for my personal fave which is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It feels so much like youre being drawn in for this grand journey into the world abroad, like someone telling you about this amazing vacation, where things go a little tilt.

Also one of the few funny SNL sketches i ever remember was when Kelsey Grammar hosted in the nineties and it was a version of 20,000 leagues and the general bit of the comedy was no one understood that leagues are not a measurement of depth.

a league is around 3.5 miles so 20,000 leagues would be 70,000 miles or 10 times the entire diameter of the earth.

Sounds like Mr Jules Verne needs to take a science class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Just reached Albert and Franz’s Roman vacation. How long is this going to last, because it seems to have no end