Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That book owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moby Dick is so loving good

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

Queequag hosed me

Yea i read about it in the book!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

was the legend of sleepy hollow a book

Basically a very short story

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

dang i wanted the backstory on ichabod crane and if maybe he has IBS, maybe he has cholera or he lost his sister to it?

Hes a big bjtch

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Legend of Sleepy Hollow has one of the worst opening sentences i ever read afaik let me find it real quick

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at that broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburgh, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moby Dick is up there for me but my fav is Ulysses I've written multiple papers on that and the rest of Joyce's work lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love Poe. Greatly superior to Lovecraft, will always prefer the bleak gothic horror of people losing their minds or falling prey to obsessions.

Poe was about the more tangible, far more terrifying unknown, that we don't truly know ourselves or the depths we're capable of. It's the fear of the dark, but unlike Lovecraft it isn't external, it's the fear that we become strangers to ourselves thereby distorting the world around us because our perceptual mechanisms have become irreparably tainted.

Berenice is the greatest horror story ever imo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That opening paragraph trill af -

"MISERY is manifold. The wretchedness of earth is multiform. Overreaching the wide horizon like the rainbow, its hues are as various as the hues of that arch, as distinct too, yet as intimately blended. Overreaching the wide horizon like the rainbow! How is it that from Beauty I have derived a type of unloveliness? — from the covenant of Peace a simile of sorrow? But thus is it. And as, in ethics, Evil is a consequence of Good, so, in fact, out of Joy is sorrow born. Either the memory of past bliss is the anguish of to-day, or the agonies which are, have their origin in the ecstasies which might have been. I have a tale to tell in its own essence rife with horror — I would suppress it were it not a record more of feelings than of facts."

Now that's the kind of unctuous, pitch drenched, aphotic poo poo that owns.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I read Crime and Punishment it was aight

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dixville posted:

I found this tier list. Some of these i don't remember that well but i know i read them

Yeah i dunno why Harry Potter is in it but whatevs

This list is dogshit lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I mean, most of the books are good. Well, ALL of then are good bar Harry Potter which isn't just bad because the author is a loving worthless piece of poo poo; primarily bad because it's thematically incoherent compared to actual decent YA and is all over the loving place, it purely coasts on the virtue of its worldbuilding and even then that's primarily mediocre. It's a powerful attractant because it's insanely potent wish fulfillment and she managed to get the ideal crack recipe for a world that people can easily and repeatedly fantasize about existing in even though if you think about it for a second it would suck loving dick. Everyone in those books is a loathsome idiot and majorly unlikable, she completely and utterly bungled bizarrely hard subject matter she put in there and then didn't do the slightest bit to address.

Like any other author would have made the slave race way more low-key and less obviously chattel slavery, but she went whole-hog and even threw in a character that points it out and is used as a joke.

It's basically how no one addresses how hosed up sentient droids have it in Star Wars, but because it's not explicitly mentioned in that context for almost every movie in the series, people were willing to gloss over it. Then Solo comes out and directly points out how loving weird it is and makes fun of the character who does so, basically adding a whole bunch of allegory and broaching themes that should be addressed but are ultimately ignored.

Why do writers do this? It's insanely loving stupid.

Like, just make your slave race cutesie weird magical creatures, not disheveled, obsequious, terrified creatures who wear loving rags. What the gently caress man??? There's even a self loathing loving house slave in the books, she just literally could not keep herself from making it as blatantly parallel to real world stereotypes as she could. Stupid rear end mother fucker Rowling.

This isn't even getting into Jew Goblins, the absolutely brain damaged race purity politics that is also totally bungled, or the extremely hosed up gender dynamics between Harry's lovely dad and the stupid whiny gently caress PPJ rear end Snape.

Good YA usually has strong, centralized themes that it addresses completely. The narratives and complexity is usually pared down for its audience, but it deals with hard and grown subject matter directly with its allegory and commentary.

Harry Potter is just a grab bag of random poo poo, no great central thesis, nothing about its narrative has any tangible core to it. It reads loose as gently caress and has none of the tight pacing and plotting that A Wrinkle in Time has or, if we're looking at Harry Potter's contemporaries, A Series of Unfortunate Events or Holes.

Also, Wuthering Heights owns and is one of the biggest examples, probably only secondary to Catcher in the Rye of people not getting it and projecting weird poo poo onto it lol. Wuthering Heights is not a romance but is more-so bleak rear end, gothic, ethereal moodiness, and Catcher in the Rye's protag is supposed to be loathsome and annoying which owns because he's real af and exists everywhere in this world. Boomers are 90% just Holden Caulfields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Great Gatsby sucks, but at least its short

It owns because it's just deliberately painting all these rich people as idiots destroying themselves and each-other over dumb poo poo.