Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I have Big Sur 11.6.1 running on my 2012 iMac via OCLP. I want to upgrade to Monterey.
Is it as simple as :

Build OCLP using latest version released today.
Patch system disk with latest OCLP including files needed for Monterey
,Run Monterey installer

??

I've created a Monterey USB installer, but can't get it to boot. Given I have an already patched system, can I simply run the official Monterey installer from /Applications? Everything is also backed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The way I remember doing it when I had Catalina installed on my Late 2013 rMBP:

Download OCLP TUI offline

1 - select Build OpenCore

2 - select #2 Install OpenCore to USB/internal drive

3 - navigate to install to internal drive

4 - reboot, select your boot drive from picker

5 - when desktop reloads, check System Preferences / Software Update, the Monterey full install choice should available

6 - download and run the darn Monterey installer

7 - reboot you got Monterey

With your iMac you might have to do Post-install Volume Patch since its needed to allow the nVidia GPU to work.. Nah, the supported models list say the iMac 2012s are fully supported with no Post install required.

If ya want more detail, maybe ya might wanna go ask in MacRumors Forums?

Basically OCLP replaces some of your BootROM code and fools your machine through some technical chicanery into thinking it CAN run Monterey.

You'll know OCLP is doing its job after step 4 and you get a cutesy hard drive icon picker at boot.

I was using earlier versions of OpenCore to give myself a boot picker on my Mac Pro 5,1 and some other coolness like being able to run Netflix and other HTML5 based video pages in Safari (which you normally can't do on an unpatched 5,1 even with a recommended video card)

Also:

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/START.html

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 27, 2021