Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

StormDrain posted:

Do you have the neutral safety switch wired, correctly, and hooked up and in position?

If it was the NSS then you would hear the starter solenoid click but the engine not turn over. This was happening to me when I was installing the new column in my Squarebody last week.

You bought your C10 from Phoenix, are you in the area? If so we should hang out and complain about GM wiring. If you need fenders for a 73-80 C10 I have a pair that are nice and patina'd up.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The 5 hour long rant about GM division engines would go viral.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am in Glendale, I have space for them so can keep hold for now. They have the holes to add the trim and all that but we can weld those up if needed. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. There is a C10 show a week Saturday at the Westgate Shopping area off 101/Glendale Ave https://ridescollective.com/events/dinos-git-down-car-show-for-c10s-in-glendale-az/ and an Auto Swap Meet at Glendale Community College this Sunday if you were looking for stuff.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Are you going for an aftermarket fuel cell between the rails or just getting a blazer/suburban tank that mounts right in since they used the same frame? Since yours is a short bed you likely won't want to the largest suburban tank as I don't think it fits over the rear end. If you are planning to lower it then I don't think the standard between rail tanks will work at all without clearance issues.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I believe you can get EFI ready OEM tanks that go between the rails for later Suburbans. I am thinking of doing the same and ditching the dual saddle tanks. Mine is a long bed so I can fit the 31 gallon tank and weep every time I fill it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ah yes the flat faced doge, all the snoring and farts one could desire.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Frame looks good, now is the time to replace some of the suspension crap what is awkward to get off without a lift like the rear shackles.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just an FYI, lower control arms are hard to find and I ended up getting a tubular set as the original stamped steel ones were pretty shot and pressing the bushings in and out can damage them. LMC Truck claims to have complete lower control arms and be careful of places like Amazon that will sell you C10 lower control arms that are for a C20 etc....

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Having done some of this research myself If you are not going to be racing the thing then those kits are over kill but you covered that. The QA1 kit was used on an episode of Hot Rod Garage on a 69 C10 and it looks like a good kit but did need some fiddling. The way I see it new trucks still use leaf springs in the back so refreshing the springs, bushings etc… likely will get you where you want to be for a daily driver and spend some of that money on sound deadening and other comfort items for the cab, newer over drive transmission to keep RPM low.

Edit: I mean I have dropped nearly $4k into my $4k salvage squarebody so I am not someone to point out spending money on stuff that really doesn’t deserve it.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 11, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the CPP coilover setup mostly-installed on the front of mine. Still haven't loving finished so I can't really say much about it yet.

Front coilover setups for these are such a hassle with cutting the spring pocket out that I get this. I am not anti trailing arm suspension by any means but I personally would not do it for a daily driver that doesn't have a lot of power. If you want to throw an LS in it and twin turbski it for 1000 bhp then you will need it as spring wrap sucks. I think there is a bunch of us in the Phoenix area with C10 projects that we should all work on but yeah that rona :v:

Edit: I have a cheap plasma cutter if you want to borrow it for the coil over kit install.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 11, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

if I was keeping tabs on the C10 and Pontiac I would cry.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Clean professionally restored I know what I have!

Translation: it had a Macco paint job and a Craigslist rebuilt engine everything else is decades old and destroyed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Keep hold of the lower control arms as most places do not even list them and LMC is out of stock. That is why I bought a set of tubular control arms from POL.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

There is no rust but plenty of dust.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You can walk through fields of abandoned cars in Phoenix and it a spot of structural rust. It is a world away from the North East where a desirable car that is only good for the vin costs the same as something that you can get driving with a service and tires.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The hex cutout is to capture the flexible brake line where it connects to the hard line. There are not any holes that match that pattern on my C10 so I would assume some drilling would be needed but I would call the manufacturer.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I do have to wonder if that cross member was for an earlier C10 and the manufacturer just sells it for a 73-87 C10 because they think it is the same. Have fun re running the hardline for the brakes. I recommend removing the line from block under the radiator and running a new line along the frame and through one of the holes more forward of the old hole and using a rubber grommit to hold it in the hole so you don't get vibration stress failure. I expect you know that but this is from my recent experience of messing with front brakes. It was super fun.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

WTFBEES posted:

Re: Brake lines - All good call outs. I've never so much as bent or flared a brake line, so that'll be a fun learning experience.

When you get that far let me know and I can lend you my good line flaring tool, will make it much easier.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If you want one you can get a pink one not far from Phoenix for under 10 large

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/new-river-1976-international-scout-4x4/7460814942.html

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I might head down there as I need a good trip to check out the 700r4 in my truck. The C10 show at Westgate in Glendale earlier in the year was pretty massive if disorganized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

After having the front pulled back on mine it is in “spec” but still has a bunch of other songs from it being used as a work truck. If I wanted a show winning truck or having it pushing a ton of power then I would either find an aftermarket frame because the stock one is not great. If that is not an option then pull it apart and make some boxed rails. Just for driving around then I would try to get it as square as I can or find one from a different truck that is better. Usually see them for sale in the Phoenix area for $500. There is a guy in north Phoenix who parts out square bodies who likely has some good ones but is more pricy.