Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ADINSX posted:

I'm coaxing my laptop to stay awake because a large critical download fails if it falls asleep and I can't change the sleep timer due to corporate security = work

Lol at all these people recommending external mice and wristwatches. Open PowerPoint, make two slides, set the timer for each slide to be 99999 or whatever, and press "play slideshow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

My 90 year old Grandfather worked on the farm until the day before he died.

very noble of you to continue the family line of work

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lots of meetings today :sigh:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My 90 year old Grandfather worked on the farm until the day before he died.

he finally earned enough to buy it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gentle Autist posted:

now i am 40 with 25-30 loving years of working ahead of me and it loving sucks. i get you now dad

the only thing i could think of when i turned that age was 'i have 25 loving more years of this poo poo ahead of me?'

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

when i was a kid my dad used to go on and on about retiring early and having no mortgage and blah blah. i used to think ‘stfu idiot of course people need to work’

now i am 40 with 25-30 loving years of working ahead of me and it loving sucks. i get you now dad

work is poop

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poastin rn

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i have some powerpoints to put together and updating a task plan and then i'm going to listen to ux research all day with half an ear out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

graph posted:

the only thing i could think of when i turned that age was 'i have 25 loving more years of this poo poo ahead of me?'

maybe not. theres ways out of it

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lmao at all y'all pretending to do work because you work under surveillance. Our union prevented the IT office from collecting any statistics/data on worker productivity because that should be assessed by negotiated output/goals - not inferred from intermediate surveillance of random poo poo.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cat Face Joe posted:

very noble of you to continue the family line of work

I planted trees all over it so I don’t have to pretend not to do any work.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

not even pretending today

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I had to get up and do something else. I was staring at react code like some sort of magic eye picture before going blind

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thought i might have to actually do work today. close call.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if the company infra is too hosed for my poo poo to work or for me to fix it, am I working or pretending to work?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

if the company infra is too hosed for my poo poo to work or for me to fix it, am I working or pretending to work?

if you have to ask, buddy you're working

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

post hole digger posted:

unless you’re also watching youtube all day, in which case you still dont have to ask but for different reasons

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i was playing a lot of factory idle but you're right, i was also working. gonna put myself on a slacking pip

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

post hole digger posted:

I was working all day today by hitting a refresh button on something with a 1 hour refresh time that broke. I pressed the refresh button 8 times. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Empty Pockets posted:

unless you’re also watching youtube all day, in which case you still dont have to ask but for different reasons

if the youtube is in anyway computer related its work

gotta watch apple keynotes during work because some of our customers use macs and they might announcing something that could impact our service and i need every second of lead time to react

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how did I miss this thread, i'm doing it right now!!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Checked out a bunch of files so people think i'm actually modifying them. I am actually just watching movies. :laugh:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hello,

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
got pissed off i spent a week chasing an issue that ended up being a whitespace parsing problem in a config file this afternoon so i just stopped working at 3:30

i hate computer so much you guys

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

It is a wonder they work at all.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fresh_cheese posted:

got pissed off i spent a week chasing an issue that ended up being a whitespace parsing problem in a config file this afternoon so i just stopped working at 3:30

i used python for 5 minutes to try and run a script years ago and it was all 'this is tab delimited not spaces delimited!' and uninstalled it and havent touched it since

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

same cept instead of smoke is brie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

same cept instead of smoke is brie

you can take brie breaks?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what a world

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

god drat I love me a wheel of brie

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TehSaurus posted:

It is a wonder they work at all.

When older family members come to me for help this is the first/only thing I teach them. Understanding that it's all hodge-podged garbage and no magic is the fundamental basis for all IT literacy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

god drat I love me a wheel of brie

When older family members come to me for help this is the first/only thing I teach them. Understanding that it's all hodge-podged milkfat and no magic is the fundamental basis for all cheese literacy

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

graph posted:

i used python for 5 minutes to try and run a script years ago and it was all 'this is tab delimited not spaces delimited!' and uninstalled it and havent touched it since

yaml is the dumbest poo poo ever

i think ill start the day aaaaaaaat … 9:30

and then take a nap at 10.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Friday, my “catch-up day”, where I “do” the most “work” because there are no meetings, is here.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Hackday today so I'm literally getting paid to pretend to work

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

found and fixed a prod bug before anyone noticed today. not feeling obligated to do further work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you could have easily stretched that out to 2 or 3 days by reporting it and then investigating it and then fixing it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

got a meeting in 20 minutes. plan on 'taking it easy' after that,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
right now i'm planning for next weeik