Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Crazy Ted posted:

It shouldn't be hard to understand that you can loathe the nickname, logo, and even the chop while understanding that approximately zero of the guys who went out and won the championship really have much of anything to do with that.

Exactly go Braves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Fried being completely dialed into papi giving him advice was awesome. Great interview

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I still can't believe it. Max with the insane game after his ankle got crushed. The offrnse with all that. Matzek holding down.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Big Jesus posted:

I still can't believe it. Max with the insane game after his ankle got crushed. The offrnse with all that. Matzek holding down.

I refused optimism after Soler yoked that ball out, considering the result after the Duvall GS--but man it really did feel like a death kneel for Houston. Like a dam breaking.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was hoping they would at least not get shut out but alas

They scored 4 total runs in their 4 losses, oof. The game completely changed after Fried got stepped on. He immediately painted the black with two fastballs then buried a sick breaking pitch in at the ankles and I was like.... poo poo, that's how this game is gonna go

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

They scored 4 total runs in their 4 losses, oof. The game completely changed after Fried got stepped on. He immediately painted the black with two fastballs then buried a sick breaking pitch in at the ankles and I was like.... poo poo, that's how this game is gonna go

Yeah he was locked in. Soler was MVP but Fried finally putting the pieces together really won us the series. The last two outings for him were....awful? Awful.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Fried was owning it all and he owned me and it owned.

I'm going to buy all the gaudiest clothes for winning and I don't care it's molten drip

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

Modern media makes no sense. I'd bet 85% of Cub fanhood was cultivated in those daytime after school games from like 88 to 2000.

Me, a dude who grew up in a poo poo stain small town in Idaho, included.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Welp, I ordered some overpriced World Series Champs merchandise. I thought they were done when Acuña went down. But the moves made at the deadline all paid off, and welp, here we are.

Great finish to the season Braves. Astros fans here, you’re (mostly) cool, and sorry it didn’t go your way.

One more :laffo: at Rosario for Sandoval.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Me, a dude who grew up in a poo poo stain small town in Idaho, included.

When Houston was still in the NL, Braves fans always outnumbered Astros fans in the Astrodome because of TBS.

Similarly, before the Braves moved to Atlanta, my dad's favorite team was the Pirates. It was a combination of being able to get the games on KDKA radio and Bill Mazeroski burying the Yankees.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Lol go Braves

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mattress Mack lost a ton of money tonight, woof! :dogstare:

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Parrotine posted:

Mattress Mack lost a ton of money tonight, woof! :dogstare:

But he doesn't have to pay his customers back for all those $3000+ mattresses, on the plus side.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Da friggin braves!!!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

But he doesn't have to pay his customers back for all those $3000+ mattresses, on the plus side.

I wouldn't exactly call that "on the plus side"

The billionaire makes a ton of money regardless, that's murica baby

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'm sitting here covered in a smaug sized pile of candy and the arkenstone is the almond snickers but I'll let the hobbit take it cause dadgummit the Braves just won the fuckin world series

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
IIRC when the Braves were up on the Dodgers, and Fried was starting and had a chance to advance the Braves, somebody posted about him having a career game and locking it down. It didn't happen then but this game has vindicated Fried and that poster. Hope you're happy!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love Ron Washington, God drat I am over the moon for the man.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE

Simply wonderful.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Intruder posted:

It was pretty funny how he immediately started gunning it to 98

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

I was waiting for the choke and it never came

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SM64Guy posted:

I was waiting for the choke and it never came

Newspapers everywhere upset that they can't use the headline 'Tomahawk Choke"

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I've been a Braves fan from the days of Murph, Horner, and Oberkfell, and this win dumped a bucket of memories of watching games on TBS with my dad and both grandmothers. I am also of mixed heritage (African American/Lumbee) and I think the chop and chant are loving stupid. The team name doesn't bother me so much, but that chop poo poo is lame. It would be dope if they changed the team to the Hammers. Anyway, thanks for reading these words, I'll shut up now.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ardemia posted:

I haven't posted in this thread yet but

I started watching baseball again on my own during the pandemic, watched it all the time as a kid. My grandpa was a life long Braves fan so I was too pretty much, we watched the last series they won together, even when he was in the care home towards the end we would keep up with it and watch games together on TV. In his more lucid moments, which came much easier when we were watching or talking about baseball, he would mention how he doubted he'd see them in the World Series again but he bet that I would.

He died of Covid November 2nd 2020. A year later exactly sure enough I got to see it.

Thanks for sharing this. I’m sorry for your loss and am glad you got to see them win it all, probably sooner than even he thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Intruder posted:

I wouldn't exactly call that "on the plus side"

The billionaire makes a ton of money regardless, that's murica baby

Yeah.

And he would have made more than enough to cover paying all those back had the Astros won. He definitely likes to overhedge.

Read an article where he said his wife tells him he has a gambling problem. But he told the reporter he has a promotion problem.