Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
God, John Noble was so criminally underused but I really hated that storyline involving Vicious and his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SyRauk posted:

God, John Noble was so criminally underused but I really hated that storyline involving Vicious and his father.

It was just so boring and cliched. Why would you take this guy and just give him daddy issues.

The writers must be one of these internet morons who think Vicious was undefined. No! Dude is literally like "hey, these guys are outdated and they don't see things the way I do, and if I had the power, this organization would be moving in a new and better direction." Like, that's more compelling than "my dad and I don't get along, and my attempts at starting an emo band at 40 have failed, so I'll just kill him."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The irony of OG Vicious thinking the syndicates are outdated is that his preferred version of ruling is a continuation of a self destructive blood feud that was what crippled the syndicates in the first place.

But it worked because OG Vicious was a sociopathic social darwinist who could only solve problems with violence, not because his daddy didn't love him. He didn't need an inferiority complex because he wasn't really a deep character. The idea that flat characters are bad is a gross misunderstanding of what flat and dimensioned characters actually are. Flat characters remain broadly the same but they can still embody deep qualities and values. Flat just means they don't change very much and that their role in a given story remains constant.

And that's exactly what Vicious is good at. He's there to be an antagonist for Spike, and he's pretty much a force of nature in that regard. Being flat works extremely well for him too because his inability to change ties directly into the theme of the past only holding death and memories. He can't change, so he's doomed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Arc Hammer posted:

The irony of OG Vicious thinking the syndicates are outdated is that his preferred version of ruling is a continuation of a self destructive blood feud that was what crippled the syndicates in the first place.

But it worked because OG Vicious was a sociopathic social darwinist who could only solve problems with violence, not because his daddy didn't love him. He didn't need an inferiority complex because he wasn't really a deep character. The idea that flat characters are bad is a gross misunderstanding of what flat and dimensioned characters actually are. Flat characters remain broadly the same but they can still embody deep qualities and values. Flat just means they don't change very much and that their role in a given story remains constant.

And that's exactly what Vicious is good at. He's there to be an antagonist for Spike, and he's pretty much a force of nature in that regard. Being flat works extremely well for him too because his inability to change ties directly into the theme of the past only holding death and memories. He can't change, so he's doomed.

Also, he brings a sword fight to a shootout.

Dude is old fashioned as gently caress.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still bitter they killed this instead of letting it try at a second season. Dammit nerds.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
lol

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

The World Inferno posted:

I'm still bitter they killed this instead of letting it try at a second season. Dammit nerds.

Same :smith: For how stupid it was it was at least fun new content.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah it was a bit of a hot mess, but mostly a fun one that had the potential to improve on things in a second season. Ah well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I don’t think it was the “nerds” that ruined this show. There’s enough bad media already out there. No need for yet another bad show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

What kills any Netflix show is lack of engagement. People refusing to watch it, watching the first episode and stopping, taking a really long time to get through the season after they start.

I don’t think nerds are responsible for that. They’re the ones who hate-watched the entire thing over a week. What killed it was probably casual viewers watching a few minutes of an episode and deciding, “eh. gently caress this.”

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The most frustrating thing about this show was that, it was very nearly actually decent. The casting was just about perfect, the writers were unimaginative hacks through and through.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Q_res posted:

The most frustrating thing about this show was that, it was very nearly actually decent. The casting was just about perfect, the writers were unimaginative hacks through and through.

Kind of a shame that Ed’s actor never got more than a single scene though (especially since this appears to have been their first real acting job)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The writers did a real bang up job making the tight 20 minute plots into bloated hour long affairs especially by adding unending scenes of Vicious mugging for the camera.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

The writers did a real bang up job making the tight 20 minute plots into bloated hour long affairs especially by adding unending scenes of Vicious mugging for the camera.

And don't forget all the endless scenes of everyone bantering at each other. You know, Cowboy Bebop, just a show about a bunch of guys getting together, talking.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

If only the writers had been given more time to stretch their muscles, we could've gotten more winning lines like "welcome to the ouch zone motherf*ckers" (freaking epic) or never-ending bantz about bidets & other assorted babytalk

drat nerds,,,

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cloche posted:

If only the writers had been given more time to stretch their muscles, we could've gotten more winning lines like "welcome to the ouch zone motherf*ckers" (freaking epic) or never-ending bantz about bidets & other assorted babytalk

drat nerds,,,

I don’t think anyone wants more of the same, just that there was enough good there that hopefully after feedback they could have made a good show. A lot of shows had a rough first season, but improved with time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's just a bad TV show, I don't care for anime but my dad and me used to watch cowboy bebop so I was kinda excited for the live action. Took the day off work and got in a bag of weed for its release and couldn't even last 3 episodes without starting to think of all the more fun things I could do. Lol. What a pile of shite

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Wow and I thought cspam loved historical revisionism about atrocity

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don’t think anyone wants more of the same, just that there was enough good there that hopefully after feedback they could have made a good show. A lot of shows had a rough first season, but improved with time.

I don't really think there was.

I feel like the show was getting by purely on the charisma of the cast of the Bebop (the less said about Vicious and Julia, the better). But everything else was really bad.

Basically, season 2 would have required such a hard left turn that it wouldn't feel like the same show. And given the writers' abilities, I don't know if they could pull it off. The issues weren't just cringey dialog, but stuff like basic plotting and pacing. And they were adapting stories that were told in the anime, but it felt like it was just trade dressing because they missed what actually made the stories work.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

I can't believe those nerds deprived us of more great content like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Larryb posted:

Kind of a shame that Ed’s actor never got more than a single scene though (especially since this appears to have been their first real acting job)

I really disliked Ed's post credit scene, but that's not on the actor at all. They were clearly trying while not being given a really workable direction to take things. I hope they get other oppourtunities.

I do wonder if the cancellation saved the kid from some potentially horrendous writing. I feel like they could have gotten Anime Ed dislike times 10. (Though on my rewatch anime Ed was not nearly as annoying as I recalled, or how people seemed to talk about)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really enjoyed the show and wished there was more, and they were free to do whatever the gently caress they want and didn't feel like they were torn between original content and remaking old poo poo - they were awful and remaking and remixing old poo poo. That and I liked the "crew just sits there, bantering" scenes, just don't interrupt the action scenes too much with that.

Definitely would've been much better in a Season 2.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

It would be interesting to see a cut of the Netflix series with a lot of the useless cruft taken out of it. Nobody is going to miss the cupcakes "joke."

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It would be interesting to see a cut of the Netflix series with a lot of the useless cruft taken out of it. Nobody is going to miss the cupcakes "joke."

that already exists

it's called the OST

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Imagine all of the new, original music we could have gotten with a season 2...

:smith:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Imagine people just go and watch something good instead.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Imagine all of the new, original music we could have gotten with a season 2...

:smith:
As long as it wasn't anywhere close to that new Julia song. God drat that was loving terrible.
I'm wondering if that wasn't made by Yoko Kanno since the actress had to sing it (possibly) before they signed her on to the project. At least, that's what I'm hoping because it was way below her usual standards.

Some of the other new tracks were good, like the rooftop fight music.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I'm going to loving Kill. Myself. Nerds and chuds have made it impossible that Doug Walker's cowboy bebop will get a season 2. Literally why? They could have learned from the mistakes of season 1 such as having a sub-par Key Grip and one shot where the camera is unfocused. Ya'know, I'm even picturing a line they'd give to Faye where she alludes to the reception of the show where she says "ummm nerds are No. i'd love to chucklefuck a grenade bomb into their clown nards"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dongicus posted:

"ummm nerds are No. i'd love to chucklefuck a grenade bomb into their clown nards"

That'd be nutbags.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was being purposefully flippant with the nerds comment, but fair fair.

Dongicus posted:

I'm going to loving Kill. Myself. Nerds and chuds have made it impossible that Doug Walker's cowboy bebop will get a season 2. Literally why? They could have learned from the mistakes of season 1 such as having a sub-par Key Grip and one shot where the camera is unfocused. Ya'know, I'm even picturing a line they'd give to Faye where she alludes to the reception of the show where she says "ummm nerds are No. i'd love to chucklefuck a grenade bomb into their clown nards"

This is uh, quite the interpretation tho.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That post takes so many flippant and sarcastic turns that I have no idea what side of the argument that person is on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finally got my housemates to sit down and watch the original show. What a massive tonal and format whiplash. We've been on a binge of serialized shows like Demon Slayer. Beyond just being able to watch a single episode at a time and get a full story it was nice to watch an anime where people actually do smalltalk and shoot the poo poo rather than every line of dialogue being a speech or a theatrical declaration of how a character feels. It's really weird when you stop to think about how shows present their dialogue. You watch enough Shonen series where every word spoken is the most important thing ever and then you watch Jet rambling on about a dream where Charlie Parker was quoting Goethe at him.

I don't mean to slag off Demon Slayer too hard but that episode where it was entirely a debate about whether to kill Nezuko while everyone kneeled in gravel for 20 minutes doing a round robin list of statements drove me insane.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, the comic from Titan Comics had its second issue come out and it continues to be good. It even has a cameo from Carlos, Antonio, and Jobim! Also Miles, but everyone knows they're the main event.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait those are the three old guys' names? Like the jazz songwriter?

I suppose it makes sense in a show with huey dewey and louie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, the comic from Titan Comics had its second issue come out and it continues to be good. It even has a cameo from Carlos, Antonio, and Jobim! Also Miles, but everyone knows they're the main event.

Wait, there’s a Cowboy Bebop comic? Is it a retelling of the anime, a sequel/prequel, or something else entirely?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Larryb posted:

Wait, there’s a Cowboy Bebop comic? Is it a retelling of the anime, a sequel/prequel, or something else entirely?

It’s an original story based on the show. 4 issue mini-series (2nd one just came out)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s an original story based on the show. 4 issue mini-series (2nd one just came out)

Nice, how is it so far? And does it star new characters or the old crew?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

They've said while obviously it's visually inspired by the show, it's more or less standalone and could fit into either continuity. They literally had the three old men show up unaltered from the anime in this last issue.

Larryb posted:

Nice, how is it so far? And does it star new characters or the old crew?
The original crew, but there's an original bountyhead and supporting characters. And it's pretty great.

Also, I found a post online with production art from an old artbook with Faye in a jacket back when Ed was still a boy. Goes to show that look works just fine for her animated as it does in live action.

Also no idea who the kid on Spike's back is meant to be. It'd be funny if it turns out that's was meant to be Kimmy and the Netflix team literally resurrected a concept fans didn't even know existed.

I was actually on Netflix earlier today and it still has the series (the new one) as trending. I'd have thought it was forgotten, given what people have been saying about how the ratings cratered after the first few eps. Was that ever actually proven?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What ratings? Netflix almost never releases anything close to viewer metrics, anyone claiming they know how many people watched the show would have to be literally working for Netflix, right? If Netflix released viewership for this by episode that would be a first, wouldn’t it?

Personally I made it to the Pierot Le Foux episode, checked my phone as it was starting and saw the series had been cancelled, looked back at my TV completely deflated and just turned it off. I still don’t know it ends tbh, but I genuinely really liked this show (besides the pilot which I honestly did hate)

Edit: researching on Forbes, it appears that we know it clocked about 74 million hours viewed, but that viewership substantially dropped off after 3 weeks… which… like yeah, everyone on Earth who wanted to watch it watched it at launch. Why would we still be watching it 3 weeks later?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hate the "dump a whole season at once" method of streaming. Even mediocre shows like Book of Boba Fett or Loki maintain more engagement than Netflix dumps because the weekly discussion about new episodes keeps people interested.

Same with Game of Thrones.