Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Super pumped for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I watched the first episode and it's exactly the kind of stylish camp I wanted. It cribs a lot from the anime but also does its own thing. I ain't mad.

The complaints I've read remind me of when everyone bitched that The Witcher felt like a high-budget Xena, except that having a high-budget Xena based on The Witcher loving rules.

Same, I really enjoyed that 1st episode.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

The comparison is unavoidable given it's a remake, but I think his point is more the spirit of the choreography. The way he's moving in the anime conveys a lot – that he's toying with the guy and as he wrote, reckless. The action in the show doesn't convey that anywhere near as well, which is a shame.

Agree with this. It's fun to talk about tho, sans the hyperbolic folk.

I'm mean, I think it's okay given the different ages in the characters?

In the anime Spike is young and in this he's not. Men who were reckless at 27 usually aren't when they are 49. That's how they survived so long.

Seen three episodes so far and am loving it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Xealot posted:

They don't totally excise economic anxiety. The show is still pretty explicit about how almost everyone (save a small sliver of the hyper-rich) struggles to get by, and almost no one lives comfortably. Jet still barely keeps the Bebop flying, and scrounges for used parts because he can't buy anything new. Spike is still perpetually broke, though Faye's story is different (she's implied to have come from some money, to have had some kind of inheritance or trust to her name that was conned out of her, vs. the system simply being ravenous and corrupt.)

Poverty is displayed everywhere.

And I thought the "we can't afford the taxes on a dog!" line was pretty striking show of economic anxiety from a mom who is clearly upper middle class.