Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
I very often ask myself if what I think are memories are just my mind guestimating what I "should" remember about my childhood and drawing in the blanks of what was mostly pretty bleak poo poo. Nothing too crazy, I remember playing with an AT-AT I got for graduating elementary school while my dad was trying to explain that he was moving far away but that he would stay in touch, also remember binging on WoW while my dad was visiting for the first time like 6 years later, pretty funny now that I think about it. Not really sure if those memories are real though, they fit too perfectly together, you know? Probably some selective editing happening that even I'm not aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i remember swimming through your moms fallopian tubes

wait poo poo that means we're related

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think all my memories of childhood are all from photographs and stories. I've been smoking weed for 20 years so maybe that's why I can't remember much. Just flashes. The switch on the back of cyclops that made his visor red. A kay-bee. How uncomfortable a pair of Ninja Turtles licensed flip flops were when the Germans visited. Trading cards. Summer camps. Praying for snow. Arcades. Christ I miss ubiquitous, good arcades. The appeal of smut for as far back as it goes.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Not much, and going off what others have said in the thread about not remembering most of your childhood, I already know it’s not a good thing.

My earliest memory, which I only suddenly remembered one day while walking by a local lake in my mid-20’s, was me almost drowning in that same lake while my father and one of my brothers stood at the shore laughing hysterically at me very clearly panicking. I must’ve been 2 or 3 years old.

Other than that, it’s mostly flashes of things, nothing clear, up until maybe 13 or 14 when things got gradually worse.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Not a lot, but I've had many concussions

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Memory is a fickle thing, though. I can’t recall poo poo from 7th or 8th grade because I was horribly bullied and ignored by the school when I called them out on it. “Boys will be boys” or “you’re overreacting” dismissive poo poo from the administration. Try as I might to even remember teacher’s names or who what few of my friends were, and I come up completely blank.

gently caress middle school.

This is where my memory also shits the bed. I can remember that Andrew was the blonde boy who sat nearest the door in 3rd grade, but I have photo booth photos with girls I don't recognize at some point after 8th. My sister found an old 7th grade English notebook of mine last week and you can watch my handwriting shrink to nothing along with my confidence.

It was bad enough that one of my bullies contacted me in my mid-20's to apologize. She had no cause to; we hadn't spoken in 12 years and were thousands of miles apart. It really struck me that it even bothered her a decade later.

A nice memory: When I was 2 or 3, the present I got to open on Christmas Eve was an electric TMNT toothbrush. I was loving siked.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I remember everything that’s ever happened to me after the age of 3 and a half. I think I may have had a seizure at that age, which somehow erased all my memories before that and gave me a really awesome memory for everything that came afterwards. That’s a thing apparently.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

my memories start at 3

I remember the girl who lived next to me she was taking a shower and she died and my mom or someone said she died from "water on the brain"

so I thought "poo poo the water can get in your brain that way?" and so I was afraid to take showers. Which was quite the situation because before that I had pooped while taking a bath and the turd just floated there and it scared me, so I was also scared of taking baths.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I remember everything that’s ever happened to me after the age of 3 and a half. I think I may have had a seizure at that age, which somehow erased all my memories before that and gave me a really awesome memory for everything that came afterwards. That’s a thing apparently.

What happened on the 27th day of grade 5

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I can remember like, 7 things with clarity, everything is just black.

i wonder what trauma i experienced

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What happened on the 27th day of grade 5

I stopped going to public school late in fourth grade and started homeschooling, so probably reading textbooks and allegedly important works of fiction for a few hours, then watching two episodes of Jerry Springer followed by many Simpsons reruns. Or something like that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I still have a lot of memories from childhood, probably because my childhood was fairly happy and I kept diaries from age 7-14. I still have memories that I didn't write down though, most of which are embarrassing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I kept a ton of diaries and even beyond that I honestly have tons of memories all the way back to my very early years. Lots of vivid images of how my home used to look, what classrooms looked like, family trips, weekend events, Christmastime and the gifts, even current events that I only glimpsed - I think my earliest real world event was seeing news about the OKC bombing before the tv was turned off

No idea what part of my brain works overtime to make sure I remember the smell, layout, and overall organization of my childhood home throughout the years and the basement where our Nintendo stuff was, but I sure wish it could help me remember where I put my baby's new box of diapers that I packed up for my move across the country, god drat it where did i put it :arghfist:

My brother has an absolutely awful memory but for some reason I can just pluck poo poo out like it's nothing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I remember a lot, I moved a lot and made a pretty clean break each time so every couple years seemed like a new chapter where I started over again. I suppose that keeps it all from blending together. New friends and very different locations with different languages and cultures puts some specific context into all of these memories that wouldn't really be there if I was in the same home for the entire time.

My weed drenched depressed 20s are another story, though.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My earliest current event memory is I remember being mad that George Bush interrupted The Flash to announce the Gulf War.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

spouse posted:

Have you told them you heard that? That's rough, I'm sorry.

telling them doesn't solve anything

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Dubplate Fire posted:

telling them doesn't solve anything

Yeah the most likely outcome from telling them is "that never happened." They will rewrite history to maintain frame

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve met more than one person who was genuinely surprised that you can remember things before 16-17. Like, it’s just normal to have your memories start at basically the end of high school. They were usually the type to throw themselves into school/work to an unhealthy degree and didn’t seem to have much of an internal monologue. It makes me sad that they probably had a deeply traumatic childhood and don’t know how to really process anything. I had a childhood best friend from elementary school who straight up does not remember me. We were over at each other’s houses multiple times per week for years. :(

Meanwhile I’m over here remembering poo poo that happened in 1989 when I was barely over a year old.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I remember a few things from my childhood, but only as facts. The memories don’t have any sensation or emotion attached to them at all. Almost like stuff from a history book.

For example I remember the name of my kindergarten girlfriend, but I can’t remember what she looked like or anything else about her. I remember that I went to many baseball games, but I can’t remember how anything looked or felt or even if I had a good or bad time.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Prof. Crocodile posted:

my kindergarten girlfriend

:chloe: Your what?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lot's of kids do girlfriend/boyfriend stuff in early elementary. It's not like they're having sex or anything, they just call each other boyfriend/girlfriend and might share an apple, hold hands or whatever. Or at least we did in the 80's.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
almost nothing really. just out of context bits and snippets like taking my shoes off and walking through the metal detector to visit my mom in jail.

my brother and sister are always bringing up things that I have have zero memory of

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I remember threatening to jump out of the window as a toddler on at least two occasions and my mom using reverse psychology the second time :stonklol:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My mom's cooking was pretty good growing up. Taco nights, really good meatloaf, spaghets and italian sausage. Standard Catholic upbringing fare.

I loving hated salmon night though. Still do. I only eat salmon raw these days.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

mainly the molesting, some video games

Sega channel ruled

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

It was bad enough that one of my bullies contacted me in my mid-20's to apologize. She had no cause to; we hadn't spoken in 12 years and were thousands of miles apart. It really struck me that it even bothered her a decade later.

A similar thing happened to me last year. I was sweeping out front of where I work (I work in mental health care), and some random guy comes up to me and says my name. “Elf?”, he says, and I confusingly answer, “…yeah?” “You don’t remember me, do you?” I sure as hell didn’t.

Turns out he was the older brother of one of my elementary school friends who just happened to be a girl. He was insanely overprotective of her and didn’t like that we hung out, even though all we did was play NES and ride our bikes together and do other harmless kid stuff. We were 10, FFS. It actually affected her confidence negatively to the point where we stopped hanging out and being friends because her brother wouldn’t stop talking poo poo about me. I never saw her again after elementary school.

He apologized profusely to me for putting a wedge between his sister and I and for ruining our friendship. It took a toll on her so much that when she was old enough, she moved away. He was on the verge of crying and I told him to please stop and accepted his apology because it happened thirty years ago and I had completely forgotten about it all. It was so weird to revisit a memory on a whim like that, but at least he has since reconciled with his sister and was getting the help that he needed :unsmith:

But how the hell did he recognize me 30 years into the future :psyduck:

STUPID EARLY MEMORY: I was 3 and swimming with my family at the Olympic-sized pool where my dad worked at. I somehow make my way to the diving board without being seen by my parents, and a bunch of kids start chanting “JUMP! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!” I took off my floaties and jumped right into the deep end, followed by about a dozen concerned adults and the lifeguard who saw me jump right in. No one could find me because I had already swam to the shallow end like a fuckin’ boss :c00l:

I still got scolded by mom, though.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

You’re doing it wrong, you’re supposed to tell them that they ruined your life and you will never forgive them.

I remember every time I was ever bullied, excluded, or embarrassed as though it happened hours ago. That’s my memory super power.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember being self conscious enough to realize this part of life is awesome. No bills, very little responsibility, basically unlimited free time, new friends drop into your lap, can do almost anything without any social or legal repercussion, food is provided to you anytime you want, can eat anything, heal from anything, can stay up forever, can run forever, endless energy to do anything and everything.

Now I'm 34 and can't wait for this poo poo to be over

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I remember a fair amount but mostly I remember the world being a calm, peaceful place because most of my childhood was in the 80s and I was too young to understand that the rest of the world was very different from the little hometown I grew up in.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

He apologized profusely to me for putting a wedge between his sister and I and for ruining our friendship. It took a toll on her so much that when she was old enough, she moved away. He was on the verge of crying and I told him to please stop and accepted his apology because it happened thirty years ago and I had completely forgotten about it all. It was so weird to revisit a memory on a whim like that, but at least he has since reconciled with his sister and was getting the help that he needed :unsmith:

But how the hell did he recognize me 30 years into the future :psyduck:

That's really sweet. :unsmith: I know it's not the case for everyone's tormentor, but it's always nice to hear about people trying to be better.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Yaldabaoth posted:

I remember a fair amount but mostly I remember the world being a calm, peaceful place because most of my childhood was in the 80s and I was too young to understand that the rest of the world was very different from the little hometown I grew up in.

One thing I do remember is the feeling that my small town was the centre of the world, that you could do and be anything you wanted in Ballincollig and why would you ever wanna go anywhere else in the world when it’s all right there. Having no real concept of how huge the world was was kind of a blast tbh.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I remember a gently caress ton from my childhood. It’s my 20s that are gone

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

idr much from before age 11 or so. i want to say i had a pretty happy childhood from the bits and pieces i remember, though grew up very poor and my parents had mental health issues (they really worked on themselves and improved as the years went on). my biggest memory is very traumatic though and involves my brother's suicide, which hosed me up for many years and still does somewhat

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I remember enough of my childhood traumas to get/need constant therapy and alcohol.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I have a pretty crystal clear memory from around the age of 4 onwards with no gaps, and a few 'flashes' of memory from before then.
I assume it's because my parents were narcissists who expected me to maintain their emotional state so it kept me on high alert 24/7.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 29, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tarkus posted:

It's not like they're having sex or anything,

Hmm... I think I went about elementary wrong then. But seriously, I did have 3 different girls grinding their asses into me and sitting on my lap while I drew for them in the 4th or 5th grade. It was confusing.

My childhood is kind of a blur of poo poo, some random small things I remember in vivid detail but most of it is just lost. Sucks but it's probably for the best.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I can only recall a few things before the age of 10, mostly a few bad memories like being forced to stand naked in a freezer at the hospital or getting yelled at and smacked for something I could not understand and being picked up by the ankles and dragged around by a teacher.

I do have this one memory I used to dismiss as fantasy of my mother taking me to a shopping mall that had a river running down the middle, turns out it was actually real.

It was called crocodile creek before it all got demolished.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I can recall just about everything from the age of 3 on. Mostly locations and houses. I can picture the exact layout of the different places I lived or relative’s houses and backyards in pretty vivid detail including furniture and wallpaper. In dreams I often find myself in childhood locations. I remember like every toy I had. I could write a detailed autobiography if my early life wasn’t entirely ordinary.

One time I went on Zillow and discovered that my childhood home I lived in the longest had been renovated and sold in the 2010s and I got to see pictures of every room, modernized. It was a trip seeing my bedroom from 40 years ago dressed up for an open house, including the view from my window. It sucked because my favorite big maple trees had been cut down.

My first memory of a world event was the Iran hostage crisis when I was probably 6. Every night on the news there was an image of a blindfolded face and a number indicating how many days the hostages were held. It was the first time I had the sense that the world was dangerous. I was worried that the hostages were being tortured and felt relief when they were released. I thought Tehran was just a whole city of Bad Guys.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was born with severe depression and anxiety so I have very few memories of my childhood and the ones I do have I can't be sure actually did or did not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Tarkus posted:

Lot's of kids do girlfriend/boyfriend stuff in early elementary. It's not like they're having sex or anything, they just call each other boyfriend/girlfriend and might share an apple, hold hands or whatever. Or at least we did in the 80's.

My 3 year old son is stupidly adorable and his preschool sends us pictures on an app and there was always one girl who would be holding his hand and he got sent home with a stick figure drawing that said THOMAS I LOVE YOU.

Then that girl turned 4 and moved to a different class and now in the pictures there's this different little girl who holds his hand and it looks like he's always trying to squirm away.

He's had two girlfriends. It's really cute.