Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So uh all I had time to play was 2 matches and I really like the feel of it. It was super fast paced and intense and feels better than MW. Not like a clunky WWII shooter at all. Can't wait until I play more tomorrow after SBMM kicks in and I hate it instead. But for now the initial impression is surprisingly good.

I'm on PC and I felt like I was playing WWII themed Quake Arena or UT or something. They really jacked up the speed of everything

Roman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i don't think the problem is that ww2 is played out, it's that "western europe mid 1944-1945", "brutal russia", and "tropical island fighting japan" are all played out by now. like, fucks sake, this was a world war! all over the world!! for 6 years!! there's a whole host of battles and campaigns just ripe for plucking ideas from, even the settings already used so often.

instead we see the same poo poo with different voice actors and sharper textures

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Game... good

This is like MW with the suck removed

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

victrix posted:

Game... good

This is like MW with the suck removed

nah, it's not as good as MW so far, but it's a massive step up from cold war

inexplicably much, much better than the beta would have indicated thus far

everyone is using the MP40 and StG44 (because they're strong, you start with them, and the blueprints give them a massive leg up), but there actually seem to be a ton of incredibly good/fun weapons

like the combat shotgun is really good (like might get nerfed good) and the DP27 seems really strong once you learn to deal with the reloading time

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

Get your Vex yet? Lmao idiot

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's still a few bugs (reticle challenges don't work at all) but in terms of actual gameplay, it's SO much better than Cold War. It's so nice having to think about attachments that aren't just ADS speed, recoil control stuff is super important.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

drkeiscool posted:

i don't think the problem is that ww2 is played out, it's that "western europe mid 1944-1945", "brutal russia", and "tropical island fighting japan" are all played out by now. like, fucks sake, this was a world war! all over the world!! for 6 years!! there's a whole host of battles and campaigns just ripe for plucking ideas from, even the settings already used so often.

instead we see the same poo poo with different voice actors and sharper textures

Call of Duty 3 had you play as Canada and Poland, and it was the most boring campaign ever.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

probably picking this up because its really hard to find any new shooters that arent battle royale and i was one of those wierdos that mostly enjoyed cold war despite the lovely matchmaking.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

probably picking this up because its really hard to find any new shooters that arent battle royale and i was one of those wierdos that mostly enjoyed cold war despite the lovely matchmaking.

It really is too bad the lovely matchmaking ruined the best looking, sounding, and feeling Call of Duty game they've ever made. Maybe Activision will learn from that...

... but probably not.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

It really is too bad the lovely matchmaking ruined the best looking, sounding, and feeling Call of Duty game they've ever made. Maybe Activision will learn from that...

... but probably not.

the matchmaking sucks but i think it would be more tolerable if the anti-cheat is effective. id like to be certain im getting my rear end kicked because the other person is better than me and not cause they have a cronus zen or some other bullshit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The unpaid streamers seem to enjoy how smooth it feels, so that's a plus. I really don't want to play WW2.. I need to hold out until the 19th for BF.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

LGD posted:

inexplicably much, much better than the beta would have indicated thus far
Agreed, I was surprised by how much cleaner play is than it was in the beta.

I only got in 3 rounds, but it seems much tighter than CW. (GT=Porktree)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Watching a bit of Lirik play the campaign and my goodness the DDay scenes are... horrifying

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Devs that worked tirelessly on the MP pouring thousands of hours into making it good:
Me: Moshpit 24/7 playlist when.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Philthy posted:

The unpaid streamers seem to enjoy how smooth it feels, so that's a plus. I really don't want to play WW2.. I need to hold out until the 19th for BF.

the "setting" is interesting because the combination of non-real-world-faction-specific operators and bizarre, fanciful, and anachronistic weapon modding that leaves your guns bearing little resemblance to their real world counterparts actually makes the whole thing feel wayyy more like a fantasy dieselpunk COD than anything to do with WW2

ironically, going so over the top annoys me significantly less than the BF V halfway approach

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

TTK feels too low, maps feel huge, and gunplay feels Battlefield-y. Not liking it so far but then I didn't like Cold War at first either. The physics are also pretty bad when it comes to bodies and other objects flying around.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I think it'll take a while to evaluate because of how much wacky stuff potentially exists in attachment combos that'll take a while to unlock

like apparently you can more or less re-create OG MW2 commando pro via bayonet + reach

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Philthy posted:

It's good. Doesn't feel like WW2, if that makes sense. Cool maps so far.

Extremely surprised after the beta that you all know blew balls.

Game good. Play it.

Edit: One critique is the operator system. Don't get why there isn't a handful of generic ones to choose from when you start out.

Trump fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 5, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im liking this so far. blitz pacing all day every day.

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
Having a pretty good time. Like others have said it's super, super fast paced which I enjoy even though I'm garbage.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Not sure if I should get this on PS4 or PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fit em all up in there posted:

Not sure if I should get this on PS4 or PC.

Cold War did not run well on PS4. It was very slow loading and the UI had poor optimization. This uses the same UI at least for multiplayer.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
*sigh* gently caress it i'll bite

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I said come in! posted:

Cold War did not run well on PS4. It was very slow loading and the UI had poor optimization. This uses the same UI at least for multiplayer.

I'm assuming this was not on a Pro ? That's the one I have.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Vanguard uses the MW19 engine. It even has the same UI from that game. No idea how you see anything from Cold War in this game.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LGD posted:

I think it'll take a while to evaluate because of how much wacky stuff potentially exists in attachment combos that'll take a while to unlock

going to reiterate this point as a major difference from MW2019 (where something like the M4 was obviously bonkers from level 1), the bonuses attachments give are pretty much all significant, frequently all or mostly upside, and some of them (barrels and magazines) are genuinely transformational, so it's extremely hard/impossible to evaluate a gun just based on its initial performance - especially in an environment where they gave everyone the best ttk ammo for the StG and MP40 at level 1 from blueprints

like, I started playing around with the Automaton because it seemed like it should eventually be good, but it was quite rough to start with - and then lo and behold by the mid 20's it had come into its own and now appears to be highly competitive with people using the ubiquitous StG + Russian Short combo (and reasonable odds the final ammo unlock is even better just based on the numbers)

not really cosmic wisdom here or anything, but I think the game's design means that (until there's a real meta established) you just kind of need to blindly pick guns and commit to suffering with them for a while

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

man the recoil is pretty nuts on the guns. i was pretty good with the dmr and type 63 in cold war but im flailing all over the place with the garand.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I actually like the upped recoil, it's nice having to balance my attachments instead of All ADS Speed All The TIme.

The Garand is a lot of fun.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I watched a little bit of the Vanguard campaign playthrough, and it looks 10X better than the campaign mission settings in WW2. The Vanguard mission variety looks good, and gives a non-immersion-breaking reason to split the missions about between the different special ops characters featured.

Initially I wasn't crazy hearing about the alternate-historical aspects, but the portrayal of the missions looks better than the closer-to-historical setting accuracy found in WW2. And the Vanguard graphics engine looks like it would be immersive to play the missions in.

I'll probably pick this up on sale later, as I'm still playing through the previous COD campaigns.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ASenileAnimal posted:

man the recoil is pretty nuts on the guns. i was pretty good with the dmr and type 63 in cold war but im flailing all over the place with the garand.

wait till you get the svt40, it starts at like unpatched, on-release MW2019 FAL levels (though at least it’s a OHK to the head)

marksmen rifles seem really rough, though like I said it’s impossible to draw accurate conclusions from the initial experience

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I actually like the upped recoil, it's nice having to balance my attachments instead of All ADS Speed All The TIme.

The Garand is a lot of fun.

How many hits to kill is it? I really liked the Future Garand in Blops 3 with its 2-3 hit stopping power at most ranges.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

How many hits to kill is it? I really liked the Future Garand in Blops 3 with its 2-3 hit stopping power at most ranges.

2 with 30-06, 3 with the 6.5 sakura and .303 british (though no OHK via headshot at any range I believe)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Omnikin posted:

Watching a bit of Lirik play the campaign and my goodness the DDay scenes are... horrifying

Im currently going through the Campaign, I play it first before touching MP, and have no clue where to go when I land lol, just get killed when the germans roll up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LGD posted:

(though no OHK via headshot at any range I believe)

That's a bummer; you could get it using High Caliber (though a shorter distance than the Sheiva).

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So apparently the pacing options don't work in hardcore. No matter what I select, it's always on tactical.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fit em all up in there posted:

I'm assuming this was not on a Pro ? That's the one I have.

This was on Pro, going back and forth between Pro, and PS5, it felt terrible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

it shriveled up posted:

So apparently the pacing options don't work in hardcore. No matter what I select, it's always on tactical.

They do work, but the options are just preferences. It doesn't lock you into what you chose, just makes it more likely for you to be put into one.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

LGD posted:

wait till you get the svt40, it starts at like unpatched, on-release MW2019 FAL levels (though at least it’s a OHK to the head)

marksmen rifles seem really rough, though like I said it’s impossible to draw accurate conclusions from the initial experience

just got the svt40 and drat thats alot of recoil. im on kbm so i dunno how bad it is on controller but its tough to control and keep on target with how fast everyone moves

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
I expect to get poo poo on for this, but is lag switching an actual thing? Saw alot of dubious warping around in CW and have met a few in Vanguard as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I did not expect them to actually be making a good game after the beta was the way it was.

But this is really quite good.