Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
So they posted character-based trailers for the all the faceless gun-folk you are going to play in game.

Obviously they are chasing Woke Optics here by adding women and non-white folks. (Cool, plenty of them in WW2)

They've got a Japanese-ethnic dude in the US Army
A black guy with the UK
A woman with the Soviets

But this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8pFKKA6k44

They have an anticolonialist brown Indian woman fighting to liberate her country from colonialist oppressors.

These colonialist oppressors who control India are apparently... the Nazis?

Did this game forget which loving white people colonized India?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean, isn't Gandhi on record supporting the British efforts to fight the Reich?

Yes, and millions of Indians served in the British armed forces. They joined for a variety of reasons. None of them joined to take a direct role in killing oppressors that were colonizing their own country because those people are British.

If they wanted to do that, they could (and did!) join the Indian National Army, which was an anti-British resistance force that was supported by the Axis.

This video opens with narration (in UK accent) about "colonizers spilling blood" and "Padamavati Balan despised oppressors" and has Nazis in the jungle (meant to be India) getting war-crimed on behalf of a Freedom Fighter who is working hard to liberate her oppressors from the Nazis on behalf of her oppressors.

Yes, it is CoD and obviously it is completely stupid all the time and was never very historically accurate, but it seems in their quest for Intersectionality or whatever they are going to alienate their own target audience by making the brown woman fighting an anticolonialist war of liberation on the behalf of the white guys who actually colonized her country, with a straight face.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

who cares about historical accuracy in a call of duty game in 2021 lmao. a bloo bloo they got brown girls in my warcrimes franchise :qq::qq::qq:

I would absolutely play Brown Girl Call of Duty. I just wish they had the balls to do that instead of whitewashing UK colonialism by somehow putting the Nazis in charge of India so you could liberate the homeland from the Acceptable Bad Guys.

Let me follow AI teammates to kick in doors and slow motion shoot Dutch colonizers in Indonesia. Let me have unlimited bullets in an on-rails turret sequence against the Foreign Legion in Algeria.

I would love if we had some Vietnamese based CoD where you could storm French trenches at Dien Bien Phu, but if they ever made it they would find a way to make the bad guy Hitler or the Russians.

Just for the sheer variety, I would enjoy them dipping into other wars or even theatres of their favorite. I have personally killed more Nazi soldiers in Stalingrad than Chuikov's 62nd Army. I have stormed the beaches of Normandy more times than I can remember, complete with an enforced slow-mo sound-out sequence of watching hordes of my buddies die while on fire until it gives me control back so I can be the One Guy Who Wins D-Day. I have watched my squadmate with the bazooka get blasted apart in a dozen different trenches so I can pick it up and fire the pivotal shot at The End Boss, Tiger Tank. Sometimes instead the radio-man dies and I have to hold off unlimited numbers of brainless suicidal maniacs until the timer decides I can call in the strings section backed up by the airforce.

I would like to do it somewhere else, against anyone else.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 28, 2021