Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
for some reason the very first Linux I tried was a French-language distro. I do not speak French

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

le linux

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

le GNU l'ajouter Linux

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

J'aimerais juste intervenir un instant. Ce que vous appelez Linux est en fait GNU/Linux, ou comme j'ai récemment pris l'habitude de l'appeler, GNU plus Linux. Linux n'est pas un système d'exploitation en soi, mais plutôt un autre composant libre d'un système GNU entièrement fonctionnel rendu utile par les corelibs GNU, les utilitaires shell et les composants système vitaux comprenant un système d'exploitation complet tel que défini par POSIX.

De nombreux utilisateurs d'ordinateurs utilisent quotidiennement une version modifiée du système GNU, sans s'en rendre compte. Par une tournure particulière des événements, la version de GNU qui est largement utilisée aujourd'hui est souvent appelée "Linux", et nombre de ses utilisateurs ne savent pas qu'il s'agit essentiellement du système GNU, développé par le projet GNU.

Il existe vraiment un Linux, et ces gens l'utilisent, mais ce n'est qu'une partie du système qu'ils utilisent. Linux est le noyau : le programme du système qui alloue les ressources de la machine aux autres programmes que vous exécutez. Le noyau est une partie essentielle d'un système d'exploitation, mais inutile en soi ; il ne peut fonctionner que dans le cadre d'un système d'exploitation complet. Linux est normalement utilisé en combinaison avec le système d'exploitation GNU : l'ensemble du système est fondamentalement GNU avec Linux ajouté, ou GNU/Linux. Toutes les distributions dites "Linux" sont en réalité des distributions de GNU/Linux.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol I don't know French and I know what that is without even trying to read it just fron the number of times gnu and gnu/Linux appear

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wish that I'd been there when he made that little speech so I could have let it hang silently for about four seconds, then said "okay, that's very interesting to know. For convenience, though, I'm going to just call it Linux, okay?"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

teams has new unsightly animated emoji. but you can also use the system emoji picker and it uses the system emoji font for those. good use of engineering resources there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they started rolling them out at the start of the year and they're loving horrific.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

more so than the old communicator ones?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lmao i still can't log in to 2 teams accounts but we have animated emoji and talking head peanut galleries

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

burning swine posted:

lmao i still can't log in to 2 teams accounts but we have animated emoji and talking head peanut galleries

desktop app + browser, the real trouble starts when you get to 4

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh I guess they changed that thing where Edge alt-tab behaviour was to show each tab separately instead of just the application. conveniently no longer part of Edge's settings but outside in a separate control panel called Multitasking lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

burning swine posted:

Reacts to your messages are still ridiculously overimportant and can't be changed
(you can turn off the toast, but you still get the "unread" icon in the systray and in the activity feed)

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
YOU HAVE RECEIVED 10 POINTS! CLAIM NOW!!!!

my app engagement has skyrocketed, thanks microsoft

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

like 90% of my teams experience is trying to remember if the important info was pasted into the chat room with alice bob carol dave and ethel or the one with just alice carol and dave or was it the one james started with bob and carol, or wait maybe carol sent it to me directly, no it’s not there either, hmm,

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

like 90% of my teams experience is trying to remember if the important info was pasted into the chat room with alice bob carol dave and ethel or the one with just alice carol and dave or was it the one james started with bob and carol, or wait maybe carol sent it to me directly, no it’s not there either, hmm,

I also love losing tidbits that were posted on a meeting chat and nowhere else

burning swine
May 26, 2004

every time i restart teams it launches itself, spins for a while, crashes, repeats exactly twice for a total of 3 times then finally opens up and makes me log in again

it has been doing this for i think about 8 months

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

it me lol

my teams is actually pretty stable all things considered. main thing it does is magically switch my audio settings and/or just disable my mic between calls

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm in the habit now of triple checking my audio settings when i join a teams call because it always, always gets it wrong

i wish there was a way to permanently disable "headset" mode on my headphones because it's broken as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

burning swine posted:

every time i restart teams it launches itself, spins for a while, crashes, repeats exactly twice for a total of 3 times then finally opens up and makes me log in again

thats the power of javascript

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i wish there was a way to permanently disable "headset" mode on my headphones because it's broken as hell

is that a bluetooth headset that has both speaker profile and handsfree profile?

if so, in the new (Metro-style) control panel go into sound -> manage sound devices.
disable the input and output devices that are the handsfree ones.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

burning swine posted:

Teams is fine apart from forgetting which screen it lives on, but there's a 50/50 chance of snip & sketch immediately crashing the first time I use it each day. After that it's fine again until the next login.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’d be cool if you had a view of all the posts a coworker made across the channels and chats you’re both in. i think that would solve a lot of my issues with teams

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

same, but webex

when I was on a team that was subcontracted out to a customer for staff augmentation it was even worse because for anything discussed with that customer I'd have to check both our webex and their teams

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i will give teams that. it is less bad than webex in every single way.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

an oldjob used to use a combo of webex and hipchat for everything and it was miserable

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

it’d be cool if you had a view of all the posts a coworker made across the channels and chats you’re both in. i think that would solve a lot of my issues with teams

holy poo poo this would be such a life-saver

so of course it will never be implemented

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

in slack you can just use the search like from:@idiothellfucker to get that kind of view, is that not a thing in teams

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i will give teams that. it is less bad than webex in every single way.

tbh I like working for a cisco var but holy poo poo webex is the worst part about it. we're also now on the webex calling stack so all our voip goes through webex and it's janky as gently caress

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

git apologist posted:

in slack you can just use the search like from:@idiothellfucker to get that kind of view, is that not a thing in teams

this works in outlook, but ive never tried it in teams

however, due to microsoft, i assume not, lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Please tell me people out there aren't seriously using the chat function in teams

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

~Coxy posted:

is that a bluetooth headset that has both speaker profile and handsfree profile?

if so, in the new (Metro-style) control panel go into sound -> manage sound devices.
disable the input and output devices that are the handsfree ones.

oh nice, this appears to work, thx!

before i had tried removing the headset while keeping the headphones via the old device driver settings and got nowhere with it so i assumed i was hosed

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

glad to hear it!

I'm a big idiot who has a music headset and a meetings headset so I know the pain.

(plus, windows has decided to stop connecting to my music headset when it turns on. I have to go into settings and press connect. un-pairing and re-pairing didn't fix it. thanks, windows.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Over the weekend my "Azure Portal" access expired so I clicked to "Resubmit request" in the notification email, and renewed all the authorizations that were available. So that when I needed it, I have full access again.

Well joke's on me because when I had to use it later, some stupid token couldn't be found and poo poo didn't work. Took most of the day to find out that the roles you request from the email notifying you about expired Portal access does not include the authorization that just expired.

~Coxy posted:

glad to hear it!

I'm a big idiot who has a music headset and a meetings headset so I know the pain.

(plus, windows has decided to stop connecting to my music headset when it turns on. I have to go into settings and press connect. un-pairing and re-pairing didn't fix it. thanks, windows.)
I actually prefer the handsfree profile for meetings since it seems to have lower latency. It usually works on the Jabra headset, but sometimes it randomly doesn't!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I actually prefer the handsfree profile for meetings since it seems to have lower latency. It usually works on the Jabra headset, but sometimes it randomly doesn't!

i have some cheap soundcore (ie anker) headphones that work quite well but if i go into headset mode they kinda suck and then they also stop working properly when i switch back to headphone mode. i have to cycle them off and on again to fix it. so dumb so i prefer to leave them in headphones mode (latency is fine) and use my laptop's mic (also fine)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

Please tell me people out there aren't seriously using the chat function in teams

those who know better are very rarely the ones making the decisions about these things

I was never offered a choice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jammyozzy posted:

Teams is fine apart from forgetting which screen it lives on, but there's a 50/50 chance of snip & sketch immediately crashing the first time I use it each day. After that it's fine again until the next login.

teams meetings are mostly fine, but the client itself and the chat are so loving awful cause the UI design is poo poo and the javascript is poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
teams search is especially bad because whatever they have for an indexing service is garbage and it takes forever to return results. On top of that when you click a message it doesnt show in context cause previously when they tried to show search results in context it would take 1000x as long and/or lock up the client cause javascript and interns.

its abysmal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Armitag3 posted:

they took my Messenger Lync Skype for business away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i still can't work out how to delete a file that has been shared in a teams chat. like you can delete the message it was attached to but the file is still there in the convo under the files tab

edit: oh ok so deleting the message does delete the file it just took like a day to happen