Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In desperation I installed windows 11 and it seems to have fixed the specific issue I was having. and honestly it’s not that much worse than windows 10, which made me realize I had gotten used to how annoying windows 10 was in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

microsoft laid off an ethics and society team that was supposed to guide ai development. on one hand, too on the nose to even be funny. on the other, I’m sure they had exactly zero influence ever and there are three other teams with an identical purview still operating somewhere in the ms hierarchy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i also kind of wonder how much nuts-and-bolts ai microsoft do themselves at this point, publicly at least they're certainly on the openai train.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my parents ancient pc died last week and i had to throw something together for them quickly, which wasn't compatible with 7 so i had to install windows 10

gently caress me it's just an endless list of tiny annoyances. it's like they deliberately went out of their way to set up everything wrong

live traffic updates and weather reports in the taskbar. who greenlights this poo poo?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i also kind of wonder how much nuts-and-bolts ai microsoft do themselves at this point, publicly at least they're certainly on the openai train.

you’re right but microsoft is releasing openai stuff under their own brand, like image creation stuff, bing chat or whatever. that’s what the team was focused on, for example how to credit artists when people used image generation to rip off their style. none of that was implemented of course

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sweevo posted:

my parents ancient pc died last week and i had to throw something together for them quickly, which wasn't compatible with 7 so i had to install windows 10

gently caress me it's just an endless list of tiny annoyances. it's like they deliberately went out of their way to set up everything wrong

live traffic updates and weather reports in the taskbar. who greenlights this poo poo?

windows 11 is 10 times worse hth

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

windows 11 is 10 times worse hth
twice as bad eh?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

twice as bad eh?

No, it's just logarithmic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Chris Knight posted:

twice as bad eh?

I was thinking about making a similar joke about it being a multiple but three is not twice of two and that's how far I got before giving up

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway my stupid powershell experiments keep going great, so I'm right pleased with that :)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

you can make the computer beep with powershell (or rather .NET) i like that feature

code:
#Requires -Version 7.3

[CmdletBinding()]
Param(
    [Parameter(HelpMessage='Starting frequency in Hz.')]
    [ValidateRange(37, 32767)]
    [Int32]$Frequency = 37,

[Parameter(HelpMessage='Frequency increment in Hz, can be negative.')]
    [ValidateScript({ $_ -ne 0 })]
    [Int32]$Increment = 50,

[Parameter(HelpMessage='Beep duration in ms.')]
    [ValidateRange('Positive')]
    [Int32]$Duration = 100
)

while ($Frequency -le 32767 -and $Frequency -ge 0) {
    Write-Verbose -Message "Beeping for $($Duration)ms at $($Frequency)Hz."

# https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.console.beep
    [System.Console]::Beep($Frequency, $Duration)

$Frequency += $Increment
}

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

President-Beep.ps1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
make it play hail to the chief

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beeftweeter posted:

make it play hail to the chief

they'll point the Canon at you

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I still haven’t gotten over the stupid pointless loving “3D objects” folder they shoved in everyone’s face like they were apple with a u2 album

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

I still haven’t gotten over the stupid pointless loving “3D objects” folder they shoved in everyone’s face like they were apple with a u2 album

are you my coworker that was complaining about literally this yesterday afternoon? :tinfoil:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i tell you whut if child me had fuckin Paint 3D pre-installed on like windows XP it would have blown my fuckin mind

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i tell you whut if child me had fuckin Paint 3D pre-installed on like windows XP it would have blown my fuckin mind
You're going to love AI Paint in windows 12 (ignore this post if this is already a real thing that they actually announced)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Soricidus posted:

I think that was partly for wmr/vr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

I think that was partly for wmr/vr

I have a reverb g2 headset that uses wmr and the fronted to that is so weird and abandoned

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

akadajet posted:

I have a reverb g2 headset that uses wmr and the fronted to that is so weird and abandoned

hell yeah me too

I actually like the virtual condo environments, but yes it's mostly a steam frontend

it's not bad at displaying virtual desktops though, also works quite well with WSA since the touch interface maps nicely to it (and windows notifications too)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean as far as that goes some vr/ar/whatever support in the os seems cool and good, narrow use, but it was probably also not some huge effort. even then adding "paint 3d" as a demo app for the apis seems reasonable. but what does *not* make sense is asking oneself "well, where will every single windows user want to put all their 3d models?!"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I maintain the wmr home is much better than steam vr home, better optimized, much faster to load , easier to interact with. ms weirdly had a much better handle on vr interactions than valve to start with

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but what does *not* make sense is asking oneself "well, where will every single windows user want to put all their 3d models?!"

when you put it this way it absolutely sounds like something a c suite would say in a meeting to 0 pushback

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh cool, an unremovable advertisement for bing in the edge toolbar in the latest release.

remind me why i like this browser again?

e: merely hovering over it re-enables the sidebar. gently caress you.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

oh cool, an unremovable advertisement for bing in the edge toolbar in the latest release.

remind me why i like this browser again?

e: merely hovering over it re-enables the sidebar. gently caress you.

yeah, this sucks. I did the registry thing from this page
https://techdows.com/2023/03/disable-or-remove-bing-button-microsoft-edge.html

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you can disable it with a registry tweak, a command line switch, or the gui in the alpha build

microsoft is all about giving you options!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
binged again! :argh:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

binged again! :argh:

I don't care how much cloudflare says it isn't their fault. if cloudflare is delivering that page to me it's cloudflare's fault.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000
Its really loving dumb and they added a toggle for it in the next release

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000
Its really loving dumb and they added a toggle for it in the next release

really wish I was in the room for whatever meeting got called where the development team just read negative reviews over and over to whatever marketing exec rammed that feature through

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
edge is just as bad as chrome

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

Correct

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lately with win 11 whenever I reinstall, it asks which to restore and restores all settings, store apps, among other things. it was kinda janky in win 10

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, worse in some ways. better in others though, so they'll get to abuse me a bit more yet v:shobon:v

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so you can drag+drop pinned chats in Teams to reorder them. had no idea it was a feature so i freaked out when i misclicked and suddenly i was dragging an entire chat across the monitor

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cool feature, would like to be able to pin chats in different categories though for like my team, product folks, devops team, etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
at some point they started making active calls float over the whole rest of the interface and while i can kinda see why they chose to do that i'd still prefer it if they remained confined to the tab for that call

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm shocked by how much I hate Teams now that I have to use it on a daily basis

I'd rather have separate apps for meetings, chat and document collaboration than one giant piece of poo poo that tries to do everything badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don’t sign my posts