Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

is this still the microsoft thread? i upgraded my PC to Win11 last night. was surprisingly quick and painless. none of my settings got hosed with and i've had zero issues. it feels nice and snappy, the new UI is growing on me feels good, start menu is total dogshit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just been trying out WSLg on Win11 and it's neat as heck. ofc i can't think of any linux GUI apps that i actually want to run sooooooo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh neat

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

upgraded to 11. they removed the "never combine taskbar buttons" option? gently caress this poo poo. my taskbar is 99% empty and the two windows open are combined.

they also made it so that the taskbar context menu only appears if you right-click the start button when previously it would appear if you right-click anywhere on the taskbar. i'm super used to launching task manager by right-clicking the taskbar so it's driving me crazy.

that ofc is a minor nuisance and the worst part(s) of the win11 UI is the removal of full-screen start and its replacement with this bullshit:

there's no way to disable or hide that "Recommended" section so it is just foreverially wasted space. previously i've always used full-screen start as it's the best loving way to do poo poo. pin your primary apps to the taskbar and pin your secondary apps to the start menu where they appear as big buttons that you can launch with winkey+click button. now instead you've got a 6x3 grid of medium sized icons along with a bunch of dumb wasted space it's so stupid

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also the reason i came here:

https://twitter.com/PubicZirconium/status/1479161707083751424

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yesterday i discovered that applocker isnt available on windows server core. fuckin bizarre

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

burning swine posted:

I plugged a samsung phone into my windows pc today to grab a picture or something and this immediately happened

event log says windows itself downloaded the driver responsible for this garbage as soon as the device connected

nice operating system good job

i wonder if they hosed up that installer like razer did: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/razer-bug-lets-you-become-a-windows-10-admin-by-plugging-in-a-mouse/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sometimes when i reboot after installing a microsoft update (windows cumulative or even .net framework cumulative) the audio output devices for my graphics card disappear (HDMI/DP audio out). rebooting again brings em back, truly bizarre. also i've noticed it often likes to reset whatever output format i select for an audio device, keep having to switch it from 16bit/24khz to 24bit/48khz (or 24bit/192khz for my headphones connected via S/PDIF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah i know. i just like bigger number, because surely it means better