Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

massgravel my nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi, any settings configured through local policy will never ever outside of insane circumstances be touched by windows update or anything other than domain group policy (because that is the point of policy). last time i rebuilt my home PC i installed windows, updated it to latest, fired up gpedit.msc and just went through all the poo poo and disabled all the garbage.

tedious? yes. effective? definitely.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pro is enough to avoid basically all bullshit. these days enterprise really only gets you advanced security features (Defender for Endpoint, etc.)

edit: also companies aren't even buying devices with enterprise installed and just rely on the upgrade that M365 Enterprise E5 subscription provides.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ive never experienced random app shortcuts appearing anywhere in my start menu or elsewhere since using win10 and win11 for like years. only exception is sometimes new apps will get installed but i just uninstall them and they stay uninstalled.

idk what magic combination of settings affords me this luxury. i usually disable all suggested and recommended start menu poo poo, maybe that's part of it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the start menu one says it can be applied to pro as of 1703 :shrug:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

like idk i wont deny that windows is a big POS but if you take time to tediously configure poo poo as i apparently have then it becomes a static normal semi-poo poo OS

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AU. we use the same install media as US, just diff regional options.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

basically yeah. also all the appx installations are per-user anyway so rip.

that said if you're in enterprise then you can do autopilot deploys which loving rule

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty much. i recently did a design for an environment that's PSPF Zone 2 (OFFICIAL: Sensitive, IDK what the US/UK equivalent is) and a very big part of it was just disabling poo poo. the AU DTA takes the same stance with their blueprint for PROTECTED deployments which includes a script to strip garbage unauthorised apps: https://desktop.gov.au/assets/files/abac/RemoveBuiltInApps.txt

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol i actually had to push new notepad back to the clients via intune. at least that poo poo is kinda straightforward and you just pick the store app in intune instead of uploading some mystery MSIX.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if your MSP manages your SOE and you have to ask them to remove dogshit garbage from the SOE then they're not managing your SOE lol.

also the only good SOEs are gonna be done by those who aren't bereft of imagination or curiosity. you literally need someone who thinks "hmm i wonder what that setting does, oh neat it does thing, lets make it do other thing" because the whole thing is so broad and sparsely documented.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpost:

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/zacbowden/status/1643594814120656897

I'm so loving glad I don't have to deal with localization and internationalization any more.

lol good poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I wonder whether USPS would allow Royal Mail and Australia Post to switch to using ZIP Codes

help, my PO box has a POST code and wont open

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

man this is what windows looks like now??

(from this blog, which also points that that one of the news stories being presented to this new user account for this guy's kid is about a mass shooting. i hadn't really thought about how obnoxious that behaviour, to display news front and centre out-of-the-box, would be to parents)

i was wondering how the gently caress are you supposed to close that window there's no X button but then i realised it's the start menu :lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

any of ya'll done a defender for endpoint deployment? i just did one, purely because we need vuln mgmt for an environment and have Enterprise E5 and really its not so much a deployment more just an unfucking it. the number of domains you have to bypass from HTTPS intercept is staggering. microsoft give you a loving spreadsheet and its enormous: https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/b/f/6bfff670-47c3-4e45-b01b-64a2610eaefa/mde-urls-commercial.xlsx.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

at least in outlook on windows when you hit ctrl+enter a dialog appears telling you it's the shortcut to send and it has a tickbox to ignore the warning from then on. dunno if that's still the default behaviour anymore.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SHAGGAR RAIDS AGAIN!!!

in other microsoft news, what in the ever loving gently caress is this sicko poo poo:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

great, the "new outlook" only uses signatures configured in OWA and has no function to migrate any sigs that you configured in the app. businesses are gonna go apoplectic over that

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

thats cause the "new outlook" is OWA

i had a look in OWA and there's no option to configure your sig lol good poo poo

Last Chance posted:

can’t you just copy your sig from your own message in a reply thread or from a message in the sent folder?

well yeah but like that's annoying

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

all communication should be abolished.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

"got it!" is microsoft's glib "dismiss this and the other 30 notifications we just popped up over the interface for the 8th time this month" option

i thought it was "bing up your rear end"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ballmer left to play ball.

which is to say he left to pay for ball

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

float like a ballmer sting like a steve

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah, VISTA BALLS!!!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

got owned by the onedrive app on android earlier. it spawned a pop-up for upgrading to premium so i went to dismiss it which then spawned a dialog with two options: "go back" or "stay basic." entirely unnecessary, rude even!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nah SKUs are identical, only thing new to learn is the portal, aad.portal.azure.com redirects to entra.microsoft.com as of several weeks ago.

once again, literally nothing has changed other than the name, thus netting some product manager a promotion? idk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

idk if i posted about this before but i gotta say since microsoft started allowing msix apps on the Microsoft Store it's actually become a dope way to install poo poo.

i got a new laptop at work recently and decided to try and install as much as i could via the Microsoft Store. managed to get Firefox, Paint.NET, Python, PowerShell 7, Sysinternals and VS Code all via the Microsoft Store. prolly some others im forgetting about.

there are some issues in that they're not all user-mode installers and some fail horribly if you can't elevate to admin.

anyway im kinda impressed with the amount of poo poo you can install from Microsoft Store these days. also the fact that installing from there means you dont have to worry about updating is great. poo poo ive even seen the Sysinternals install from Microsoft Store update, the whole package but just a minor update for RDC.

so yeah, if you don't give a gently caress use Microsoft Store to install poo poo if you can it's easy and piss

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also i wouldnt trust the Microsoft Store at all lol. i used to use the Kodi install from the Microsoft Store back when they allowed MSI because it was a simple way for me to update until microsoft blocked the MSI or some poo poo and i was forced onto the UWP version of Kodi that can't access any files outside your user profile, effectively rendering it useless lol.

so yeah idk swings and roundabouts. but if you have to use intune at work well its easier than ever to push poo poo from the Microsoft Store through intune to your clients

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

burning swine posted:

I like code (codium, really) but the ominous moment for me was when I had to start deciding whether to trust every drat file I open. Feels a lot like ms office just kowtowing to the idea that any document could be malicious. Fine for word docs with macros and poo poo, but code is supposed to be a text editor. really undermined my trust in the app and its whole plugin ecosystem. I still use it and I get that there just isn't a perfect solution, but it sucks

vs code isn't a text editor it's an IDE. that you thought otherwise is either ignorance, lack of imagination or both.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 12, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

the ms store seems extremely shady and I don’t trust anything that I didn’t get from a direct link from the developers website. there are tons of scam apps and I’m sure malicious repackages of legit software is rampant

agreed, and i should have mentioned this earlier: only download an important thing from the Microsoft Store if there's a direct link to the store page on the vendor's site.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

enta? id rather not tia

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just noticed an "AI Hub" thing appear on the sidebar of the Microsoft Store on my PC, gross:

however it's now disappeared which is good i guess.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i do it occasionally, to let it update things, as a treat

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah probably but i like updating stuff, it makes me feel good to see it happen

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

was looking at garbage in the Microsoft store and came across this: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/battlenet-games-manager-and-launcher/9N4PLZDTWZLB. it's been up there since April, i guess all of Activision/Blizzard's lawyers are busy with the Microsoft buy-out at the moment lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"skype"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

psych for business

sounds like another fine product brought to market by CEO Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also earlier today i discovered the FB app had randomly installed itself on my win11 PC. gently caress you microsoft.

fuckusoft

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so now there are two versions of Chedgium: Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Edge for Business. no i don't know why. i do know that apparently Microsoft Edge for Business will "crush my workday"

sounds like a threat tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Don't you want to directed to a webpage when you type in 'sound' instead of the system settings for sound?

i've never understood people who search direct from the start menu, especially just to access poo poo that's aleady in the start menu. i just pin all my common apps to the taskbar, pin the less common apps to the front of the start menu and leave the rest wherever.

that said i have over the years memorised a lot of poo poo so i can just Win+R and slam it in (e.g. cmd, mstsc, diskmgmt.msc, secpol.msc, etc.)