Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

WSA is really neat, especially the notification integration with standard desktop notifications

well you do have to use Magisk + OpenGApps to actually get normal android on it, but once you do it's quite good and works p. well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't the weather thing get removed in Windows 11?

I actually missed it so I used ExplorerPatcher to both bring it back and replace it with Accuweather lmbo

e: I still like WSA and WSL a fair bit, it's worth the hassle, plus there's gaming

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's nice to see what the weather is like at a glance

some people occasionally go outside, shocking I know

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

one time for some reason it changed all content to washed-out grey like if SDR-to-HDR slider is set to 0 and nothing short of restart would help

this was last week

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

:shrug:

same reason i use wine on wsl, because it's neat to try

also it helps to have a fully posix-ish toolchain instead of visual studio

that is what I use Cygwin in path for

Mingw is better though if you want something redistributable, even if you need a ton of dlls if you're using Cairo or whatever

e: it's fun to run cmd and start typing in posix commands and running linux-native things

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

i tried using winelib and winegcc too but i couldn't ever figure out how to get them to work properly

agreed on that last point though. that's why i tried busybox

oh yeah that's obviously alongside wsl/vms, cygwin's just for the windows command line bit

quote:

cygwin requires the same thing (external libraries) though? and cygwin sucks rear end compared to wsl?

I didn't mean Cygwin is better, I meant Cygwin is worse for redistribution/as a compilation environment, might be talking a bit past each other

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 9, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, use busybox as your cmd interpreter and just call gcc directly or just use wsl + mingw or some clangy equivalent

cygwin has a bunch of precompiled packages and it's quick and easy

YMMV that's just what I've been doing since before WSL became a public thing

again it's for messing about in windows using linux/posix utils, not as a compilation env, I do use WSL or VMs or docker for that

e: busybox is fine and all but it's a bit finnicky and doesn't integrate as well with windows FS, it's fine for compiling things I guess

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 10, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

that's just me though, everyone has their preferences, it works well enough for my needs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

FMguru posted:

w/r/t the current thread title

i am in process of setting up my first ever windows 11 machine and i can report that the operating system is a complete piece of poo poo, even relative to yospos baseline standards

it is so loving awful

windows millennium rear end operating system

use explorer patcher if you want to make it look like windows 10 in whatever ways, preferably the dev version it has more fixes

after using that it's fine

e: except for the missing tablet tiles mode and worse screen/hdr stability, that sucks especially for tablets and 2-in-1s, but I've made my peace with it

e2: also VR is a bit spotty on 11 too

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 18, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

akadajet posted:

yeah, I'm going to install a bunch of poo poo that will probably make things really unstable and brick the system next update. good idea

you don't have to you know, but it didn't break anything for me for half a year or whatever now

Beeftweeter posted:

where is this explorer patcher you speak of? it intrigues me

use google it's on github

also it's opensource you can just read the code/compile it yourself

doesn't mean it's secure but at least not actively malicious

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's a pretty linux thing though, I admit it's probably mostly me being used to compiling and using random poo poo for linux all the time

e: makes me think of the time I recommended some goon the k-lite codec pack and they went and installed the bundled-in AVG browser toolbar or whatever it was lmbo

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 18, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yo checking in is 11 still garbage

yes, the multi-screen and full-screen HDR support is garbage at times and the new UI is terrible

the new settings guis are okay I guess, everything else is more or less the same

WSA is neat though, but there's only so much android apps can do for you; it's fun with a touchscreen or in VR; plus you have to install magisk to get google apps and google store working

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Shaggar posted:

the icon grid start menu is the dumbest poo poo in the world. bring back the app list w/ live tiles on the side.

they're still there underneath, you can get them to display again if you use explorer patcher I posted earlier

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i have no idea if my work machines run 10 or 11

almost definitely 10, 11 has garbage default UI you'd most certainly notice, you'd probably wonder who swapped your computer for a lovely chromebook when you weren't looking

e:

other things that suck about windows 11

- DPI, multi-monitor and HDR glitches (maybe slightly better recently but still really bad, including rare outright system freezes when switching monitors, this is on a high-end monitor and a 3070ti with latest drivers and top-end open-air cooling)
- actually one more time, really garbage GUI with a scant few exceptions (the latest control panel redesign is okay as are the new tray icon UIs)
- removal of most full-screen tablet support features (my travel laptop is a surface book, owned and all that)
- some VR issues

good things

- support for the latest intel processors
- task manager is a bit more reliable when the system goes unresponsive
- WSA is cool for a moment before you start hating the constant updates of android apps and the gaping security holes that come with them
- some system memory use optimisation

that's it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 19, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to add to this: wslg and some other wsl updates are great, to a point where if you care about that it might still be worthwhile to accept other random regressions.

I thought that was in Windows 10 as well, if not then yeah that's pretty good too

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

windows has always looked janky to me

i basically only use it to run wsl, you could absolutely switch out ui elements and i wouldnt notice

it's like, the entire task bar (now looking like a cheap macos knockoff by default), right-click menus and the start menu, plus all windows have very round corners

it really is extremely obvious

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ok, so *now* microsoft has updated windows 11 such that my multimonitor setup does no longer confuses it (used to appear to randomly confuse two monitors in various ways), bringing windows 11 to the point of "not significantly worse than 10"

they've been trying to do this for a while, I'm reserving judgement until I'm certain mine works well

that said whatever they did appears to have fixed VR too

not sure if HDR issues (primarily if you mix HDR and non-HDR displays) will be ironed out too or not

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

wsl is great for any sort of professional or hobbyist computer touching on windows yeah

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I know you said don't tell you, but it's basically (with some handwaving about kernel) a linux VM that integrates well with windows, it supports most popular distros too

so you can run linux things on your windows machine

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

things looking good in that i didn't read that they fixed it or anything, i just turned on my computer today after some time away and found it now behaved correctly in scenarios that previously reliably failed.

update update: it's looking good, but it hosed up my icon spacing on the first boot after the update, was fine after a reboot

I give the update 4/5 microsofts

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

so uhh I had to restart 3 times to apply the update

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

our work laptops pop up a regular message nagging us to restart if we don't do it every day

also all browser tabs get closed on restart via policy and changing it prevents from connecting to the VPN

e: but then again we're on some ancient Win10 LTS version on them as well

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 12, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

we also have password expiry but somehow it doesn't apply correctly on my account and my password stays the same in all but a few of our online services, crucially including VPN/SSO/Git/Domain user

I keep very quiet about this

Chris Knight posted:

ah yes the registry, famously being very open to changes by regular users and not locked down by admins at all

actually we can get local admin for a day or two by filling out a quick form, it's just that there is a program that forces us to do a policy check before connecting to the VPN

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

just noticed the update also vomited a bunch of poo poo like roblox and whatnot all over my start menu

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Shaggar posted:

yeah its mostly intended to be used by throwing ur mouse in the bottom right (by default)

but that doesn't do anything? I can't click on my taskbar or desktop when doing the win-comma thing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

burning swine posted:

lmao i still can't log in to 2 teams accounts but we have animated emoji and talking head peanut galleries

desktop app + browser, the real trouble starts when you get to 4

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chris Knight posted:

lol we just got some office update and now outlook tries to autocomplete short replies to emails. just loving lmao.

a big email from management detailing tasks and asking for opinions

outlook answer: Okay, thank you.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

~Coxy posted:

They called it the 360 since they were going up against the PS3 and didn't want to call it Xbox 2. OK, I get that.

Then when they made the Series X they are going up against the PS5 with what could be claimed to be the fifth generation of Xbox but didn't want to call it Xbox 5. :wtc:

wouldn't that just be xbox 4 versus playstation 5 (I don't really know consoles, so correct me if I'm wrong)

in other microsoft news for some reason my file association for .zip spontaneously changed from 7zip to windows explorer on a windows update, that was confusing for a moment

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

xbox infinity and xbox infinity +1 does genuinely sound like it has potential for s and x respectively

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

looks very fake

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

From what I remember it gets computationally more complex to add prompts the bigger the conversation is, so probably also a cost-saving measure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bing chat led me to this article when I asked about feeling tired, therefore it is amazing:

Caffeine dosing strategies to optimize alertness during sleep loss

or maybe that's just me

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sweevo posted:

my parents ancient pc died last week and i had to throw something together for them quickly, which wasn't compatible with 7 so i had to install windows 10

gently caress me it's just an endless list of tiny annoyances. it's like they deliberately went out of their way to set up everything wrong

live traffic updates and weather reports in the taskbar. who greenlights this poo poo?

windows 11 is 10 times worse hth

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chris Knight posted:

twice as bad eh?

I was thinking about making a similar joke about it being a multiple but three is not twice of two and that's how far I got before giving up

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Soricidus posted:

I still haven’t gotten over the stupid pointless loving “3D objects” folder they shoved in everyone’s face like they were apple with a u2 album

I think that was partly for wmr/vr

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

akadajet posted:

I have a reverb g2 headset that uses wmr and the fronted to that is so weird and abandoned

hell yeah me too

I actually like the virtual condo environments, but yes it's mostly a steam frontend

it's not bad at displaying virtual desktops though, also works quite well with WSA since the touch interface maps nicely to it (and windows notifications too)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway it's garbage and way more restricted than ChatGPT. I tried a few example s from the AI art thread and it refused to do anything ever remotely amusing. The basic VBA it wrote also has HTML quotes in it.

That's how they try to make sure it doesn't go full Hitler, can't have it both ways.

GPT-4 in general is a lot more like that even aside from the extra filters Microsoft added

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's really quite impressive how they managed to make a tablet-centric UI in 11 that is worse than what they had in 8.1 for that same task in most respects

while also being generally garbage on M&KB

it's the first time I've installed software to change it back to the way it was previously, and I've use every version of windows since 95, including server ones

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

no mere man or mer

but a ballmer

e: sorry for the trash popculture joke, couldn't resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bingchat got me to start using edge, but all I use it for is as a taskbar shortcut to ai chat via the homepage and close tabs on exit settings