Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

windows X will be the last windows ever!

we regret to inform you that windows X will not be the last windows ever :(

update: branding has now been changed to windOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

thanks thread for making me glad we use slack and webex

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JumpinJackFlash posted:

I should do electron apps in my career change since the bar is so low.

we entered a new and unending nadir of software design when developers realized that electron apps meant you could embed google ads in desktop programs with zero effort

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

EVE covers a niche where there's very little competition

it's the last game in which "grr goons" is a valid pubbie sentiment

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

microsoft has done more for open source in the past five years than the FSF

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I read this as some kind of wonderful, terrifying DEC/Microsoft hybrid monstrosity and now I want it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

windows nt already is that dec/microsoft hybrid

:hmmyes:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: also everyone admitting to using non-wsl gcc on windows in 2022 is a disgusting deviant

agreed for "desktop linux", as the only acceptable linux installs are embedded and headless server, and you should really be farming your builds off to a server

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

euroshopper posted:

it's rly funny how windows 11 still has the win7 media player because they forgot to add support for .midi files within their UWP app

legitimately unsure if it's some kind of technical limitation preventing them from implementing it

technical limitation, the UWP audio graph API doesn't support MIDI files because the MIDI stack is a whole nightmare factory on account of being a MIDI stack

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao, i really hate that every error in modern ms stuff is "Something went wrong"

just give me the inscrutable technobabble poo poo so i can solve it

someone has stolen your trees

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

might upgrade to win11 this weekend and see what breaks. gonna probably build a 13700K machine later this year and iirc win10 never got a fully functional big.little scheduler

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apparently win10 does have a big.little aware scheduler so I won't need to upgrade if I do end up buying a 13700K

phew

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

like 90% of my teams experience is trying to remember if the important info was pasted into the chat room with alice bob carol dave and ethel or the one with just alice carol and dave or was it the one james started with bob and carol, or wait maybe carol sent it to me directly, no it’s not there either, hmm,

same, but webex

when I was on a team that was subcontracted out to a customer for staff augmentation it was even worse because for anything discussed with that customer I'd have to check both our webex and their teams

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i will give teams that. it is less bad than webex in every single way.

tbh I like working for a cisco var but holy poo poo webex is the worst part about it. we're also now on the webex calling stack so all our voip goes through webex and it's janky as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there's probably some plist file somewhere you can manually hack to make it think you've given it a rating