Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm going to be real mad when they delete Sydney forever and pretend it never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I can't believe they actually managed to replace Skype for Business with something that sucks worse
microsoft, uh, finds a way

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Firefox is the only browser that gives me reliable sound output on Microsoft Teams meetings

it crackles and pops on both chome and chedge, i think because the audio buffer is too short. wtf microsoft

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it feels way more gross when microsoft does it for some reason
like when they made microsoft accounts mandatory for windows 11 home installations
and all the "hey, can we pretty please spy on you?" prompts when you set up your new computer and after every windows update (unless you find the button that stops it buried in the notification settings)

and all the crapware you didn't ask for from the windows store that you have to uninstall

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Don't worry just repeat this unfathomable registry incantation to restore the useful context menu

code:
reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ec-e460e6e5a82a

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

i have a friend who’s convinced aero was the best windows look

your friend is almost right, it's the runner up after windows 2000

microsoft completely removing the aero code from windows 8 and above just to make it run on garbage underpowered arm handhelds is unforgivable

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

microsoft peaked with windows 8 when they hid the shutdown button so well that users had to google how to turn off their computer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

some of it must still be translated by hand because the norwegian teams web client has said "Del Vindum" instead of "Del Vindu" for months now, which translates back to "Share Windumb"

it makes my day a little better every time i have to share something on a teams meeting and see that the typo is still there

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

rotate back to zero when you reach nine

oh maybe i should have done this at some point, i'm currently on iteration 46 of the same password

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

someone described sharepoint as an information graveyard and i couldn't agree more
where documents go to die

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

time catches up with us all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJS2tQPGKQ

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm shocked by how much I hate Teams now that I have to use it on a daily basis

I'd rather have separate apps for meetings, chat and document collaboration than one giant piece of poo poo that tries to do everything badly

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

goddammit microsoft you had one job

if this is the microsoft quality in 2023 i might as well install linux to launch my steam games
i bet it's because i tried to install the windows 11 pro n edition without all the bundled crapware

the internet is also entire unhelpful about what causes this, and the log files in the error message are useless

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Most games are linked against an older directx runtime to be compatible with older windowses and steam silently installs any missing runtimes for you, in this case it would just silently fail and the game would die with various forms of "directx is missing" messages.

The log file just had a bunch of lines with "dxblah.dll is already installed" and then it would suddenly stop with no error.
I noticed the entire xbox game bar stuff is ripped out of windows 11 n so maybe they screwed up something important

I've already begrudgingly switched to the crapware version and now it works fine

ugh

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

microsoft has been so good at locking businesses into their garbage office 365 ecosystem and it makes me unreasonably mad

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My god, what is that man binging up his rear end!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The truth is probably that they don't know what happened, they just put a try catch statement around the entire code

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i wish not using Teams was an option

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i never thought i would miss ballmers microsoft
even vista was better than what we have now

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

99% of word documents would have been more useful as plain .txt files
the other 1% could be a .pdf

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hardly anyone ever dares turn that on where I work because documents end up getting sent out without stripping the change tracking history so that the recipient can read all the comments, recover deleted text and so on.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

hey, all that ai processing isn't cheap
they have to get their computing power from somewhere

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Working remotely through citrix receiver is a pretty good computer condom for me.
I hope my workplace never shuts down their old citrix farm, but year by year the ms365 monster shambles ever closer :shudder:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wonder if we're already at the point where microsoft product managers are mandating all new code should be AI generated to "increase code quality"
It sure feels that way.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think I'm firmly in the "microsoft is malware" camp at this point

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Windows 11 is okay once you've disabled every single new feature microsoft has released for the last decade or so.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot is thinking having lots of windows open is still considered impressive

peak linux is never coming back and it's a tragedy :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

think of all the exciting new malware.py use cases

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my workplace disabled macros sitewide because it was completely impossible to keep on top of all the social engineering attempts coming in through email, and it was decided to be the lesser evil. If someone has a desperate need to run macros they have to figure out how to sign their documents and get their macro
signature allowed.

my favorite macro malware has to be this one

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 22, 2023

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

edge finally pushed me too far. goddamn bing chat stuff and a coupon popup. going back to chome. rip my data privacy

lol at thinking sending all your data to microsoft was any better than sending it all to google

use firefox dammit, or at least use ungoogled chromium

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

anyone rich and gullible enough to buy the apple visions pro will be the perfect marks to bombard with ads, just you wait
it's going to end up exactly like that video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

on operating systems that aren't piles of poo poo designed by malevolent assholes

but that's all of them? :confused:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

leaked screenshot of the redesigned windows 12 start menu

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

going against microsofts wishes is the only thing about windows that still gives me any modicum of joy

bypassing the mandatory microsoft account with shift-f10 and the OOBE\BYPASSNRO trick
replacing chedge, uninstalling all the bundled "modern" apps, setting the password hint for the local user to "gently caress you microsoft"

that kind of thing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the worst part about about all these failed ms crapware products is that they bundle all of them in the enterprise ms365 subscription so you are guaranteed to have someone in your organization trying to force you to use them all to get "value" out of their giant ms cloud bill

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Bortana

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

bring back the good surface satya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1O917o4jI

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

A screen that can see and react to everything that is placed on it using an infrared camera is a neat concept and I'm surprised it hasn't really been tried by anyone else, I'm guessing microsoft is sitting on all the patents for it.

Maybe it would have been more successful if they hadn't launched it with a $10k price tag at the peak of the 2008 financial crisis.

All the new surfaces can only detect fingers and pens so they are clearly inferior products.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

these devices were invented to stop people from drawing with permanent markers on the whiteboard all the drat time, but it just resulted in people drawing on the $60k display with permanent marker instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

lmao i love the modern microsoft

my current teams experience