Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

:rip: to this guy, but he probably wouldn't have been as excited about windows 11

edit: backstory of a cool guy who definitely wouldn't have been into the latest operating system from redmond
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977077

i was legit excited when win95 came out. it was like, a really big deal and not just for nerds afaict. i donít think anyone gives as much of a poo poo about computer things anymore, not even new apple bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

windows doesnít work like this

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

they should have and should always have had win2k look and feel as an option in every windows version

can we stop having this nostalgia take every 3 posts. thanks

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

if ms makes me pay for windows iíll just stop using it

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

i like to use a mac

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

low energy even for your long history of low energy yosposting

:tipshat:

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

whenever a customer invites me to a zoom call i feel like zoom is pretty good

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

the dog was really cool and also turning it off forever and watching it jump to its doom was cool too

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

i use balsamiq sometimes

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

carry on then posted:

i had to disable ipv6 on my network adapter to get game pass downloads to work. go gently caress yourself microsoft.

tbf iíve had to do this in macos on occasion to get networking to work at all. i guess i musta been on a network that didnít have ipv6 routing set up right

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

itís fine actually. all windows is like that

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yo checking in is 11 still garbage

itís windows

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol at the dumbass in IT

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

is there a thing where i can rent a windows vm ~in the cloud~ with excel preinstalled

I know nothing about microsoft things and so on but i need to edit a really complicated excel sheet which their web cloud excel completely chokes on (as does all other software i've tried)

you can do this with amazon workspaces, i use it for chunky excel sheets from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

tazjin posted:

i also ran it sandboxed and strace'd it on the first run and it was stat'ing things like `~/.local/keyrings` so, you know, be safe out there

ffffffff :stare: