Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I had “tuck web search results into the #1 spot you’re about to click on” the other day for the last time. dashed off an email to our MSP to disable that poo poo and deploy it to everyone. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my windows 11 idled all weekend then when I sat down to do work on Sunday evening it force rebooted for updates.

The video card / display output doesn't work. I had to RDP into it to figure out wtf happened.

excellent work redmond

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

make the default gnome password control show hieroglyphics

lmfao

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
it’s really loving bad and all I can figure is because it’s using the worst technologies: share point and SIMPLE all packaged up to work on electron

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to join a gorgle meet last summer and it wouldn't let me use it without logging in to Google. I ended up just dialing in

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they did 'fix' that tiny issue oddly:
Personalisation -> Taskbar -> Taskbar behaviours -> Taskbar alignment [Left | Centre]

however you're still stuck with large taskbar icons, no titles, grouped with no alternatives. and the clock in the bottom right can't show seconds. not touching that outside of work until they make that part at all usable

it’s extremely infuriating to need two actions (one to hover over the grouped icons, one to select which window) when switching windows instead of one

I have literally 30” of blank taskbar space they could use.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
shake your monitor to switch to another desktop

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lmao

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every morning when I come in my WSL2 system is frozen (all terminals stopped in their tracks) and Vmmem.exe is using either 1, 15, or 832 MB of memory and pegging all the CPU it can.

Only a reboot seems to fix it. Very good software!

edit: I guess I can escalate and stop and start the vmcompute / Hyper-V host compute service. Maybe my IT should stop my computer from going to sleep! :imunfunny:

Hed fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 13, 2022

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably a wslg fuckup, tried a simple 'wsl --update' to make sure you're on the latest? have had that happen too, but not in a bit.

e: iirc win+ctrl+shift+b (which restarts the gpu driver) might also be a workaround if its the same issue. obviously a bit garbage that is happens at all, but then wslg is simultaneously amazing and very alpha-software-feeling.

Thanks, I tried this but it still fucks up. I even tried editing .wslconf or whatever and removing the stuff I had in there (like memory limits under Win10) and leaving everything defaults, then after your tip doing the WSLg disable. No effect unfortunately.

Win11 is spectactularly bad for me... between my work laptop pegging CPU with Vmmem.exe coming out of sleep, and my desktop keeps doing this thing where it makes sounds, keyboard and mouse work, etc. but the screen doesn't wake up. I can RDP into it and everything is there, but it refuses to light up my display. RTX 2080.

It's a POS!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

burning swine posted:

new MS teams adventure today at work
somehow, the text input box changed to "drop your files here" during use, and nothing I do can get it to go away. Can't click through that thing to type text, that's for sure

it's UI race conditions all the way down

had this happen to me a few weeks ago. :yum:

had to restart

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just noticed this. I want to find everyone who was :actually: "it's the notification area, not the system tray, it was just called systray.exe in Windows 95" and show them this Win11 window:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ppe that doesn't work

don't doxx me

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LOL

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That looks freakin sickkk

Also I'm Jim Midnite

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Using OneDrive for Business seems nicer than shared drives in a lot of ways except when the SharePoint leaks out.

I can't send a link to a spreadsheet or otherwise a reference that will open in the recipient's desktop Excel like I could with UNC paths. Everyone's crap is mounted in like C:\Users\bofa.DEEZNUTZ\Deez Nutz Inc.\Sharepoint Folder - General\garbo.xlsx

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
i think you mean better than we

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

the used car salesman of tech ceos

he just needs an orange suit like that “FREE GOVERNMENT MONEY” guy but instead of question marks all over it it’s the windows 3.11-era windows flag

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VDP1 posted:

Allow Telemetry being set to none is only honored by Enterprise and Education SKUs.

By default Microsoft gets every Window.Title ("app state change") and that's no goood

Thanks, I'm having our MSP do this. Luv 2 pay for Enterprise so I can disable the start menu web results and telemetry.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

xpost:

lol good poo poo

Charging Status: Connected to AirCon.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maybe Later

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

VDP1 posted:

Allow Telemetry being set to none is only honored by Enterprise and Education SKUs.

By default Microsoft gets every Window.Title ("app state change") and that's no goood

I finally got our MSP to change this so MSFT doesn't get every Window.Title, set it to level 0 (Security). Hopefully that doesn't gently caress anything up long term, Microsoft is a little weasely that it will hurt Windows Update stuff but upon further reading that's just the telemetry that shows they hosed up an update.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Azure somehow put some of our employees in a Preview flag state so they can't connect to their VMs. It offers some new RDP thing but complains that it then needs a public IP to connect (wtf). If I try to go to their accounts and opt out of feature previews they claim that there aren't any even though this new connection screen is titled "Connect (Preview)".

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

git apologist posted:

it will need a public ip because the service endpoints are publicly routable, if you are lucky ms offers a private endpoint you can deploy into your vpc or whatever azure calls that poo poo

idk but it was absolutely using the RFC 1918 address to RDP from last week. And now two people on my team have been opted into this. The rest of it can still RDP to 172.16.x.x or whatever through the portal's configured .rdp file and it works.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wasn't MS supposed to launch a totally not electron, but edgeium+JS stack for Teams, that was like 50% faster, in march?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

i hate that casual language poo poo they do. that's fine in, like, tik tok. i want my operating system to be fast. quiet, professional, and to get out of my loving way

I agree it fukken sucks

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbh i too care a fair bit about rendering accuracy for pdfs, so it is not a bad deal for me, but i expect it'll be obnoxious clunk for 99% of users

nothing but the most accurate PDF rendering for my hi-res phone images

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

they deleted all the 1 star reviews complaining about the new version lol

lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

well this is a new level of fuckery

sent an email using desktop Outlook, then a couple minutes later had to recall it. did the normal way.

couple minutes later I get an email about the recall request, NOT telling me whether it was successful or not, but saying to "View Message Recall Report" to find out the status of the recall.

so I have to click on that to show me what happened.

I've noticed this to. People in my org asking me if that was really sent by Microsoft or if it's a phish. It's good training :yum:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When is microsoft going to go over the top of services like calendly and just implement something I can ask people to grab a time on?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I search a chat in Teams, it will find the result in the list. If I click the result to go to the context, it just dumps me in the middle of the chat. My term/match isn't highlighted, and i'm pretty sure it's not in view. Maybe this is because I have compact mode on?

anyway, what a pos

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
when I had to do that (teams on multiple accounts because family of related entities) I used Firefox multi account containers and then always had to keep it from launching the installed app (which is a POS)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does Microsoft make it so hard to get a download link for OneDrive? I'm trying to share a 300MB CSV (lol) over email and it sends a link that tries to open up in Excel and then just says "Sorry, this is over 100MB. You can close the tab now." Very helpful :thumbsup:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

there's a browser setting that will try to automatically open office documents in edge, possibly others. dump the file in its own folder and share a link to the folder, then you should be able to select the download option for the one file

my sincere thanks... I actually had a few so throwing them in their own folder worked. Now I feel better because I raged and also got help! :stoked:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Luv 2 be in a meeting and see the crowd go "why the gently caress is this outlook link opening in EDGE?"

guess the new policy just dropped. thx microsoft pms.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

went to reply to someone in Teams this morning and a very helpful modal popped up to tell me I should send a video response

I wish it would let me spam confetti all over the chat window when I do a 🥳 emoji or whatever. That would at least be entertaining.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

computers are so fuckin bad

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

or "automatically generate alt text for me"

it’s this. I noticed yesterday pasting images into a PowerPoint it not only was trying to suggest alt text but gave me a 👍👎 feedback mechanism. sorry these are all internal shitfart thinfs and we all don’t use screen readers I’m not feeding the machine.

also it took a 3D scatter plot and made the alt text “a face of a human” or some poo poo lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

they called it electron because it has negative value