Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

guy hunkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Perplx posted:

its the best messenger that comes bundled with office365

are you sure about that? did you install everything? there's gotta be another IM client hiding somewhere in office due to bloat and feature creep

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

what benefits does windows 11 bring to me, as a gamer

an excuse to upgrade your perfectly fine, totally performant pre-eighth gen system :homebrew:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm guessing OP wants to setup a VM on a mac or something similar for commercial use, otherwise there is no reason in the world to care about the windows EULA, which probably forbids right-clicking the desktop

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Private Speech posted:

just noticed the update also vomited a bunch of poo poo like roblox and whatnot all over my start menu

oh good, microsoft is still randomly resetting the "don't do awful things to me" toggles on OS updates

this one is in the start menu settings. it's called something like "show exciting new apps that will make my life more fulfilling"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

there's a big delay when you do ANYTHING in explorer in windows 11

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

i would like to fire the windows operating system out of a cannon

I would like to defenestrate the windows operating system

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I just tried to open a site in Edge because I thought there was an issue with Firefox and it's now pushing coupons at me???

people say that microsoft isn't an evil monopolist any more but just look what they've done to the poor, honest internet explorer toolbar companies. embrace, extend, extinguish.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

so i spilled tea on my laptop and fried it, and that sucks, but i have pulled out my old thinkpad from 2014 to use as a spare.

i had installed kubuntu on it because i was like oh, this computer is old and slow, i better install some lightweight os on it so it runs smoothly right??? well that was awful experience. the trackpad never worked properly, it wouldn't wake up from sleep, all the software was bad and weird, etc.

i decided gently caress it i'll just reinstall win10 and deal with it being kinda slow.

well i did that and ran the lenovo driver installer and guess what: not only does everything work perfectly, but it's even faster and smoother than it was with linux on it. perfectly usable. lmao.

windows is king of operating systems

if you hadn't specified a laptop model year and a version of windows this could have been posted any time in the past twenty years

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

i have been running linux on various laptops for around that long and it hasn't been a serious problem for at least 15 of them, sagebrush is just bad at it

I haven't installed linux on a laptop in several years but I was never quite able to get battery life parity with windows. otoh every chromebook I've used has had excellent battery life :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

my work laptop had trend micro pop up and say it caught a virus so i was unironically like sweet, time to spend a half hour on call with tech support

i knew theyd be like "ehhhh idk it caught it but i can set it to scan again" and i was like "ok thanks please do" but it was a good excuse to not work imo

it's nice when antivirus wastes your time in a nice long block you can use to screw around instead of infuriating little 15-30 second chunks spread throughout the day

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

post hole digger posted:

this poo poo sucks so bad. gently caress.

it gets mad as gently caress when you tell it something that contradicts company policy, and it mopes and whines if you complain about the way it talks to you. this tech has a bright future ahead of it as the first point of contact for returns/RMA/warranty claims

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

distortion park posted:

Imagine what a good showpiece for maiouiueio it would be if a piece of software that millions of people use daily was built in it to a high standard

the microsoft corporate IM client can never be good so if you try to make it the showpiece for some framework it'll just doom the framework

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's funny because the chrome download page is probably the single most visited URL across all edge users

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine being on the Internet explorer security fix team in tyool 2023. Lmao

sounds like a chill job where you can hang out and basically do nothing until 2030 :kiddo:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

enterprise will (probably) let you turn poo poo off but every new nuisance will have its own group policy and will default to the most intrusive setting when it is introduced

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

aren't the "surface" branded input devices more expensive and weirder? not weirder in a good way but weirder like "here's a mouse that folds in half or somehow requires drivers to have a working scroll wheel"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, the open sores trackpad drivers work pretty well. it's probably the best touchpad I've used on windows.

no idea about the apple mouse because lol lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

laserghost posted:

I love how moving text between Teams and any other MS application (or Teams' own Word/Excel/web view) fucks up the formatting in new and exciting ways. It's great to hunt for one lone line formatted with SegoeUI (?) font amid dozens of Calibri ones, sometimes it's easier because it shows up also as light blue on dark mode in Outlook and nobody has any clue why is that happening

I’ve always used notepad as a buffer when pasting in to/out of/between office apps fucks up the formatting.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

firefox on android can run ublock so I'm mildly jealous but not anywhere near enough to get an android

it is surprising how much poo poo is just flat out broken on mobile safari these days though

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

this but also pdfs are turing complete so who knows what insane infinity loop might be in there

so what you're saying is that a pdf is type of computer and therefore bad

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soricidus posted:

so I guess I can wholeheartedly recommend vscode to anyone who is editing code directly in production, it’s the ideal choice for you!

the silent majority

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, a browser will work. I think I have somehow had both firefox and IE associate themselves with .jpg files over the years

e:^^^^too late, nevermind

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lollin at subscription solitaire trying to look like sleazy online poker

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

why is this so wordy

pictures and photos

why are there any categories other than "games and puzzles?"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can’t help but think a language with significant whitespace and the spreadsheet app that is to this day showing me new ways it can mangle formatting are not an idea pairing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

broke: single-user DOS shell

woke: single-user desktop operating system

bespoke: single-user cloud computing platform

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that would make a great av for somebody you don't like

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

diet teams, teams classic, teams zero, cherry teams

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/2/23944124/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free-employee-removed

lmao microsoft is for whatever reason removing the free perk of a $15/month sub to all its employees

there's no time to play games when you could be spending your evenings adding more bing buttons to windows

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

microsoft should force adoption of the bing ai chat buddy by making asking it the only way to disable all the other obnoxious poo poo that is bundled with windows :shrek:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol that looks like they implemented a light mode/dark mode transition that also subtly mutates every aspect of the ui, which would be a very microsoft thing to do

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

windows update has a little green leaf icon to show that it helps the environment by doing updates at off-peak hours. meanwhile, everything you do on the computer is being siphoned off and run through an array of nvidia cards in a datacenter somewhere

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

Web Environment Integrity API bullshit

lol it looks like google dropped this poo poo a month ago :toot:

though if I had to guess I’d say they’re probably still implementing it or something similar, just out of public view

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

akadajet posted:

I've been giving bing chat a try for programming problems. The most common outcome is that when I ask it "how would you accomplish x with y library?", it generates some reasonable looking code that uses APIs that look great and solves my problem perfectly. If they existed.

people have already used this as an attack vector by putting up malicious libraries with names the ai hallucinated

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

can you even activate enterprise with just a key without a license server?

that worked for windows 10 with an ebay key a couple of years ago. I'm not sure about the current state of it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

does anybody ever actually use the context menu key

gotta be up there with the Three Stooges up above the arrow keys for buttons nobody ever presses

I got a lot of use out of it years and years ago when I was using notepad++ (lol) to build webpages, before I learned vim and before vscode existed. it was also good for heavy data entry in excel when I didn't want to take my hands off the keyboard.

I don't think apps in general make as much use of right-click as they did like 15 years ago, and there will usually be a keyboard shortcut or at least a button for everything you can do. I haven't used a keyboard with that button for years now, kind of forgot it existed

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fwiw I once downgraded a cruddy marginal laptop from windows 7 to vista and it was way slower with vista :shrug:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just reinstalled windows10. you have to resort to a registry edit to get rid of the bing start menu ads because the setting for it is gone from the UI and the group policies don't work any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

macos will vomit web search cruft into your spotlight search but there is still a toggle to turn it off buried in the settings so it remains superior to windows, barely