Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
microsoft spinning everything into cross-platform web apps is weird and confusing where is the monopolistic ms to make this easier to poo poo on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm glad that i can use microsoft teams and microsoft outlook from tabs in the chrome browser that is installed on my computer's linux-based operating system

i still think it is bizarre that you can literally install Microsoft Edge for Linux from an apt repo on microsoft.com

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a very good development. when on windows i spend half my time in wsl, when on linux i spend half my time in microsoft applications v:shobon:v

yeah seriously like 95% of the time i use windows i end up mostly using WSL for poo poo

at first i used mingw to cross-compile but tbh it's not really necessary anymore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

akadajet posted:

it’s because

Microsoft wants people to become dependent on their expensive and profitable cloud services.

yeah that's true, but i think along with the all economic realignments taking place recently moving towards heightened isolationism this is probably not a good idea. i have a feeling massive conglomos are gonna want things more centralized, processed and stored locally

ofc time will tell if i'm right, but the cloud is looking stormy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is azure even profitable

extremely

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kernel Sanders posted:

it’s coke for european cto’s

even more so than cocaine?

while true it is hard to deny that ibm is the real open source powerhouse, no one does more.

i have been legit surprised by how much crap intel has released lately actually

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
they even have a full distro, clear linux, which is actually pretty good? i found out about it when i was compiling a newer mesa for my chromebook like a year ago (and was surprised to find the iris driver was donated)

only thing preventing me from using it really was because i'm a baby that needs apt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
what does that even mean anyway lmao

"future leaders" are almost invariably the ones insufferable enough to fire people for being genuinely courageous because they always think they're right. he just sounds butthurt about being insubordinate

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
using WSL + mingw i compiled busybox for windows and lol holy moly this blurs the line between using the two even more

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

akadajet posted:

why do you need mingw with wsl?

:shrug:

same reason i use wine on wsl, because it's neat to try

also it helps to have a fully posix-ish toolchain instead of visual studio

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Private Speech posted:

that is what I use Cygwin in path for

Mingw is better though if you want something redistributable, even if you need a ton of dlls if you're using Cairo or whatever

e: it's fun to run cmd and start typing in posix commands and running linux-native things

cygwin requires the same thing (external libraries) though? and cygwin sucks rear end compared to wsl?

i tried using winelib and winegcc too but i couldn't ever figure out how to get them to work properly

agreed on that last point though. that's why i tried busybox

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

windows nt already is that dec/microsoft hybrid

e: also everyone admitting to using non-wsl gcc on windows in 2022 is a disgusting deviant

xenix literally ran on VAX

also what about the version of clang that comes with VS :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Private Speech posted:

oh yeah that's obviously alongside wsl/vms, cygwin's just for the windows command line bit

I didn't mean Cygwin is better, I meant Cygwin is worse for redistribution/as a compilation environment, might be talking a bit past each other

lol, use busybox as your cmd interpreter and just call gcc directly or just use wsl + mingw or some clangy equivalent

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mystes posted:

Wait wtf is the built in app then?

You can already use the O365 teams app for personal use if you really want to for some inexplicable reason I don't understand how they're different?

i see you're new to microsoft products,

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i just put my notes into an excel spreadsheet, print it out and mail it

it looks something like this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the office web apps are actually pretty needs suiting for most use cases. it's mildly impressive they didn't gently caress it up horrifyingly badly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

pfft, the office team invented the modern web, introducing ajax to make outlook on the web work

never, ever underestimate microsoft's capacity to ruin things needlessly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Truman Peyote posted:

a guy offered me "the bing bar" in a back alley once and i aint falling for that one again

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Khorne posted:

ipv6 not working is pretty normal for a lot of random services

lol no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Khorne posted:

when I was on vacation last year. I ended up ... work stuff

i think i found the problem

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
kinda wondering if "millennium edition" would sell better now that we live in a right-wing theocracy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Private Speech posted:

use explorer patcher if you want to make it look like windows 10 in whatever ways, preferably the dev version it has more fixes

after using that it's fine

e: except for the missing tablet tiles mode and worse screen/hdr stability, that sucks especially for tablets and 2-in-1s, but I've made my peace with it

e2: also VR is a bit spotty on 11 too

where is this explorer patcher you speak of? it intrigues me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

akadajet posted:

"It's fine, trust us!"

tbf microsoft defender also flags the patcher that allows multiple RDP sessions on non-server editions

if you look at the code itself, it's nothing nefarious

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Private Speech posted:

it's a pretty linux thing though, I admit it's probably mostly me being used to compiling and using random poo poo for linux all the time

yeah true, but when i'm using windows i find myself doing the same regardless because WSL is unironically pretty great and it makes it easy to just use mingw or whatever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
somewhat related: are they still actively working on WSL1? don't get me wrong, WSL2 is great and all, but i always thought WSL1's architecture was very interesting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

very much this, just casually making computers do less because they just had to go mess with functioning things.

not like the old media player was good, but the uwp ones barely make it to the level of being a decent sdk demo.

i was complaining about this in the apple thread

i get why they had to discontinue quicktime usage, but man was it useful

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lysidas posted:

old crufty formats are also good sources of security vulnerabilities, like jbig2 and tiff, i have a lot of sympathy for wanting to drop support for that kind of stuff

though in my line of work my team now deals with tiff images on a daily basis, that format is never going away even after ome-ngff is standardized

the weird thing is though a lot of them continue to be supported anyway (see av re: cinepak), you just can't encode to them any more and if it's not supported in a quartzcontext then you can't save it, either. then there's also poo poo like libavcodec, which to add ms content they're at least using in edge (but that's more the chrome lineage)

i'm firmly convinced tiff will never truly die, kinda like postscript. it's been entrenched for what, 35 years? despite how many better options? lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
11 is decent enough on a laptop but it's terrible on my desktop

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

burning swine posted:

I like rdcman a lot, probably moreso now that it's been taken over by sysinternals. I use it for all my typical rdp stuff.

For VDI (azure-hosted virtual desktops), however, MS requires this dumb new client. normal RDP clients need not apply. This new "remote desktop" asks you to subscribe to a url provided by your employer, then pops some RDP links into its UI.

anyway I can't work currently because this happens when I click "subscribe". The error pops up before any opportunity to provide credentials

awww yeah

lmao, i really hate that every error in modern ms stuff is "Something went wrong"

just give me the inscrutable technobabble poo poo so i can solve it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sapozhnik posted:

install linux

[nixonian muttering] jesus christ, bob, Something went wrong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the start menu is supremely bad in 11

the right click menus hiding the actual right click menu really piss me off too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i must report i finally installed the aforementioned explorer patcher and it does indeed solve all of those problems

i have the windows 11 taskbar but the start menu is rounded 10-style, plus context menus work the way they should

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jammyozzy posted:

This, the way I never get the menu I expect when clicking a tray icon and notifications randomly ignoring 'do not disturb' have led me to try a Linux as my main os, and I gotta say going from KDE back to W11, it's windows that feels jankier.

the explorer patcher fixes this but yeah thats some irony lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I forget, was there any hype leading up to windows 11? I remember a lot of buzz before 8 and 10 but 11 just showed up one day and I haven’t had the energy to care

apparently they just decided to update everyone to 11 anyway

i posted about this in cjs but my desktop is stuck in some sort of purgatory because it doesn't have a TPM v2. it's on a version of 10 that's apparently outside the RTM branch for 10 but inside the branch they use for 11, which i can't update to

usually i just use linux on there. it's easier :psypop:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mystes posted:

Wasn't that just an accident where they messed up which computers they released the updater to? Or did they change their mind again more recently?

i'm not sure honestly, i'd love to figure out a way to update it without blasting away everything on a 2 TB ssd

as far as i can tell it just doesn't find any updates other than the rtm 11 updater. for reference it's on 10.0.21390.2025

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
yeah i really like wsl2 and wslg, but honestly the other broken poo poo just drove me to use linux entirely. wine is good enough these days that it's actually nbd

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i still think its kinda funny the only way to run a 16-bit windows app on there is via wine and wsl2 lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

echinopsis posted:

will there ever be?

the improvements to wsl vs. 10 are actually really neat

otherwise, nah, just use linux and wine, which is basically doing the same thing anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

echinopsis posted:

i mean don't answer that if I ever care I'll just look it up myself but it can't be that important or fun

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/wsl/about