Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fame Douglas posted:

Hyping up a 0.9% seasonal decline this much seems a bit absurd.

See the second tweet, he goes into detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If there aren’t cars to sell sales will decline. Shits gotten worse with Omicorn and a sales decline might not be price / demand driven.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If there aren’t cars to sell sales will decline. Shits gotten worse with Omicorn and a sales decline might not be price / demand driven.

This is, after all, a supply chain crisis.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's bananas that something as expensive and difficult to maintain as a vehicle could be considered inelastic. It's incredible that American transport systems have hosed themselves into this corner.

There's actually a new body of thought that contradicts the traditional view of economists, and identifies a fair amount of elasticity for gasoline. In particular they found mathematical errors with previous studies that heavily biased them towards reporting inelasticity. Modern research indicates that Americans do reduce their driving and switch to more fuel efficient vehicles in response to higher gas prices.

https://www.dallasfed.org/research/economics/2020/0616

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

There's actually a new body of thought that contradicts the traditional view of economists, and identifies a fair amount of elasticity for gasoline. In particular they found mathematical errors with previous studies that heavily biased them towards reporting inelasticity. Modern research indicates that Americans do reduce their driving and switch to more fuel efficient vehicles in response to higher gas prices.

https://www.dallasfed.org/research/economics/2020/0616

That makes sense. I remember during the Bush years when gas spiked there were all sorts of stories about "super savers" who would stretch their gas mileage as far as possible. That really only really applies to "consumers" not the economy at large tho. For example, if growing corn requires gasoline-powered tractors then the farming conglomerate who buys that gasoline doesn't really have an option to just buy less gas without significant investment in fuel efficiency etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That makes sense. I remember during the Bush years when gas spiked there were all sorts of stories about "super savers" who would stretch their gas mileage as far as possible. That really only really applies to "consumers" not the economy at large tho. For example, if growing corn requires gasoline-powered tractors then the farming conglomerate who buys that gasoline doesn't really have an option to just buy less gas without significant investment in fuel efficiency etc.

It seems like in the extreme the cost of tractor heavy foods would go up and tractor light foods would be cheaper.

Like I’m not sure how it exactly maps to tractor use specifically but it’s a commonly heard fact a pound of beef creates 10x the greenhouse gas as a pound of chicken. People are flexible about that sort of thing to some degree.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The tractor’s use of fuel is a fart in the wind of energy usage of commodity grain production.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The tractor’s use of fuel is a fart in the wind of energy usage of commodity grain production.

In a broader sense different foods require different amounts of energy and within limits people are somewhat flexible on food choices. If everything went up a million percent people would starve to death but if some stuff went up a lot and some things went up modestly people do change consumption

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It was an example to demonstrate elasticity, not energy usage.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You (OOCC) make me very tired.

Crops that don’t use a tractor are usually harvested by hand. They will not be cheaper to harvest than crops that can be mechanically harvested ever.

They all get transported internationally. Most get fertilized. These are much bigger energy inputs than the gas used by a harvester.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 8, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s just such a tiny slice of the cost it’s a bad example to pick.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You (OOCC) make me very tired.

Crops that don’t use a tractor are usually harvested by hand. They will not be cheaper to harvest than crops that can be mechanically harvested ever.

They all get transported internationally. Most get fertilized. These are much bigger energy inputs than the gas used by a harvester.

Yeah man, I don’t think anyone is literally talking about tractors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, I don’t think anyone is literally talking about tractors.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seems like in the extreme the cost of tractor heavy foods would go up and tractor light foods would be cheaper.

Like I get the thought that was trying to come out, but pick better examples for your thought experiments.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As American fuel prices start to climb out of the "negligible" value and into "low to moderate on a global scale", even farmers are beginning to consider fuel efficiencies of their tractors. In a 2008 study, the USDA estimated that diesel prices constituted 14% of the total increase in annual expenditures - one of the largest individual factors. As such, they are starting to include engine efficiency as one of the selling qualities for tractors and other farming equipment. They estimate that "1 hp-hr./gal. can mean a $1,300 difference in fuel costs over the course of a year". Not small potatoes in the world of farming. This sort of issue is only a good thing, because it encourages folks to actually reduce consumption. Higher gas prices might also mean changing crops to ones that are less fuel intensive (corn ethanol, for example, is much more energy intensive than beet ethanol), or passing on costs to consumers (maize is also a common beef fodder, which might ultimately raise the price of meat). Both would probably be a societal win, though they would clamor for more government subsidies.

https://www.farmprogress.com/tractors/most-fuel-efficient-tractors

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think you likely see a transition to electric eventually, following the larger general trend of heavy machinery going electric that nobody is paying attention to because the machines basically look exactly the same.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Like I get the thought that was trying to come out, but pick better examples for your thought experiments.

Sorry the literal police can’t understand metonymy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kaal posted:

As American fuel prices start to climb out of the "negligible" value and into "low to moderate on a global scale", even farmers are beginning to consider fuel efficiencies of their tractors. In a 2008 study, the USDA estimated that diesel prices constituted 14% of the total increase in annual expenditures - one of the largest individual factors. As such, they are starting to include engine efficiency as one of the selling qualities for tractors and other farming equipment. They estimate that "1 hp-hr./gal. can mean a $1,300 difference in fuel costs over the course of a year". Not small potatoes in the world of farming. This sort of issue is only a good thing, because it encourages folks to actually reduce consumption. Higher gas prices might also mean changing crops to ones that are less fuel intensive (corn ethanol, for example, is much more energy intensive than beet ethanol), or passing on costs to consumers (maize is also a common beef fodder, which might ultimately raise the price of meat). Both would probably be a societal win, though they would clamor for more government subsidies.

https://www.farmprogress.com/tractors/most-fuel-efficient-tractors

Countdown till someone claims the free market will solve climate change...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sorry the literal police can’t understand metonymy.

Generally analogies have to be valid.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stop making me check my bookmarks for your slapfight, If BRD didn't like my analogy that's fine.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/RetroTechNoir/status/1494133673532305410

To be more precise

quote:

The law of salvage encourages those on the sea to help one another. Accordingly, a person who helps a vessel that is in trouble is often entitled to a reward for risking his own safety to help his fellow seamen. The law of salvage may apply if there is a vessel in trouble or if a ship is already submerged in the water. The person who discovers the troubled vessel and helps to recover its passengers or contents is known as the salvor. The salvor has the responsibility to surrender the ship and its contents to the vessel’s lawful owner as long as the owner compensates the salvor for his or her actions. If the owner refuses to compensate the salvor then the salvor must surrender the ship or its contents to the United States Marshal and seek a maritime lien against the owner.
The amount of the salvage award is based on several factors including:
· The degree of risk undertaken by the salvor;
· The difficulty of the rescue or recovery operation; and
· The value of the goods and / or vessel that are recovered.
Typically, the salvage award is approximately 10 -25% of the total value of property that the salvor recovers. However, in certain circumstances the percentage of the value awarded to the salvor may be as high as 50% of the total value of property recovered.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve done securing surveys on that ship. Not recently of course.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Welp, I guess Titan is on it

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve done securing surveys on that ship. Not recently of course.

Either a German or a British channel did a neat hour long documentary on loading one of them and I was blown away with how...spacious it was. Like, I knew it was a parking garage on a boat...but I really didn't get how much it literally looked like a giant parking lot on a boat. It was a trip to watch them load all the different vehicle types.

So like, how does the survey work?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Either a German or a British channel did a neat hour long documentary on loading one of them and I was blown away with how...spacious it was. Like, I knew it was a parking garage on a boat...but I really didn't get how much it literally looked like a giant parking lot on a boat. It was a trip to watch them load all the different vehicle types.

So like, how does the survey work?

Is it damaged? Note where if it is. Take pictures. Longshoremen do the securing, depending on where you are you might witness this or not. Do a calculation either advanced calculation from annex 13 of Solas and the CSC code or a rule of thumb method. Let everybody know if securing is okay document lashing gear and take more photos. If it isn’t okay depends on who you are on for, if your principle is the carrier tell them they have to fix that poo poo. If your principle is another party explain why it’s wrong that you have documented that it is wrong and that you are requesting it be corrected. This goes better if you are well known for knowing your poo poo.

RORO surveys can be fun because things can end up on a ramp occasionally, most people can’t modify the calculation to account for that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm well past $3000 in port and warehousing fees now to ship a $600, 200-pound single pallet of metal hardware from China. How the gently caress Harbor Freight manages to do it all day I'll never know. Two months late gave them a lot of time to fabricate a lot of fees.

edit: I feel like I would have sidestepped nearly all of this if I just squeezed it into two Airmail shipments...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I'm well past $3000 in port and warehousing fees now to ship a $600, 200-pound single pallet of metal hardware from China. How the gently caress Harbor Freight manages to do it all day I'll never know. Two months late gave them a lot of time to fabricate a lot of fees.

The first time is always the worst unless you brought a whole team of people who know what they are doing in.

Once a shipment has been figured out it becomes more routine. Until something changes then ur hosed.

Whoop you shipped under deck on the tank tops or tween deck until now, this one is on deck and mistakes you had been making you were unaware of have suddenly cost you five million dollars.

Or that transloading new terminal is a wet mud pit and you didn’t put your coffee on pallets. Whoops.

it occurs to me I could start posting loss prevention resources...

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 26, 2022