Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hi all, I've noticed there hasn't been a thread created yet to discuss the ongoing worldwide supply chain crisis that has left shelves bare, shipments uncertain, Dems in Disarray, and Christmas at risk of being canceled for children everywhere.

First up, I'm a historian, not an economist, and the main reason I wanted this thread is so that people who are knowledgeable about this can make nice effortposts for those of us who don't know why we can't find things in grocery stores anymore.

Some discussion topics to get us started:

1. There aren't enough truckers to unblock the ports!
Biden's 24/7 Port Schedule Not Working

quote:

President Joe Biden has ordered California ports to stay open all night to ease supply chain jams — but data shows that truckers aren't showing up to collect the cargo.

According to shipping giant Maersk, around half of its 2,000 available appointments for truckers at its giant terminal on the Port of Long Beach went unused on Friday, The Washington Post reported.

Truckers aren't showing up because they either don't have the chassis available to hold the cargo or because warehouses are full, experts say.

Plus, the industry is also grappling with a record shortage of drivers.

2. Shelves are starting to empty out! gently caress!!!
Shopping Trip Shows Supply-Chain Crisis

quote:

During an everyday errand run, The Atlantic's staff writer Derek Thompson said he found that snarls in the global supply chain had created an "everything shortage." Thompson said what should have been a quick errand run for an at-home COVID-19 test, some paper towels, and prescription drugs turned into a sort of multistore scavenger hunt.

The shopper went to a CVS, whose at-home COVID-19 tests and paper towels had sold out. Then, he went to a Walgreens that had run out of everyday prescription medications, as well as a Target, whose ransacked shelves were "alarmingly barren, like the canned-food section of a grocery store one hour before a hurricane makes landfall," he said.

I'll let the thread take it from here, but let me leave you with a great YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

The Man Who Arranges The Blocks posted:

I am the man who arranges the blocks!
But tomorrow I think I'll stay in bed
The winter is cold, I've got plenty of gold
And I'm standing in line for a loaf of bread
Maybe we'd be better off
If we brought down Gorbachev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Seattle is one of the country's biggest ports and handles an enormous amount of trade from Asia. Our port facilities are massively backlogged and I've seen cargo ships waiting in the Sound for days for there to be space to unload the containers, quite frankly I don't remember the last time, if ever, I've seen *this* many ships going in and out of the Port of Seattle. The guys on Harbor Island must be having a field day, I've already seen at least one congratulatory circlejerk article published by the previous port commissioner who ordered container space to be expanded on Harbor Island (which is already a manmade island in the Sound specifically for the purpose of being a massive warehouse for the Port's overflow) because everyone gave him poo poo for what was considered a massive waste of spending on port facility expansions that would never be used or ever pay for themselves

edit: he got my vote today for port commissioner tbh, that was a pretty solid "this guy knows what the gently caress is up with ports" moment

edit 2: port no longer seems like a real word

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The grocery store was out of peas, of all things. We also haven't been able to get bags for the litter genie, the arrival date keeps getting pushed back so they're probably on a container ship somewhere. If insulin starts becoming short we're in major trouble, my girlfriend is a type 1 diabetic so it is kind of important!!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Most of the real problems are being hidden. While lotta poo poo is being transported by air. Other things you wont even notice. Hell some effects might even look like sales. Product that normally wouldnt have a buyer is getting bought and sold in stores.

How long do you think it'll take for the problem to become impossible to hide?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks for your insight. Also, thank you a ton for including all your effort posts in here. It really helped me understand the scope of this problem better. It's crazy to think that for the first time in my life as a westerner I might experience some kind of scarcity. I'm only 31 and my entire life has been the 90s and increasingly lovely from there, but this really drives home that climate change comes for us all and it looks like this: empty shelves and shortages of poo poo you never thought would be unavailable, like.. Peas.